Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

I decided to put this here since it was more of a JR thing than a WWE 24/7 thing, but in the latest Legends of Wrestling episode (the one about Greatest Factions) is just chock full of JR grouchiness.

First, he just looked pissed off to be there the whole show, and was the one guy who wouldn't use the "insider talk" and kept referring to heels as "antagonists". Plus he tried to say that DX made Sean Waltman, which kind of contradicts the fact that the whole point of his joining DX was because he was in the nWo and was able to do SHOOT PROMOZ~! on Hulk Hogan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Ross new blog entry

On today's wrestlers' priorities: Listening to some young wrestlers talk amongst themselves recently, I was shocked to hear of the variety of subject matters they so "profoundly" discussed. IPods, IPhones, "I" period but nothing about wrestling, counters, submissions, paying their taxes, saving their money, hiring a financial planner, preparing for their future....you get the picture. It is easy for many of today's wrestlers to bitch and moan about their position in their chosen profession or lack thereof and provide an overall woe is me version of their lives to whomever will listen but change for the better, or worse, starts with looking in the mirror. I walked away from this inadvertent eavesdropping shaking my head but thinking that young wrestlers are no different than young stockbrokers (bad analogy), young professionals, etc. All company's can do a better job in putting the right tools in the hands of their people but only the people themselves can make the tools work for them. Broke and seemingly helpless wrestlers from any era can largely blame themselves for not having the common sense or discipline to prepare for their futures.

Yes, I bet people like Buddy Rose were always thinking about paying their taxes, saving their money, hiring a financial planner and preparing for their future. Like when Missy Hyatt talks about her groupie days and how the wrestlers were leeching of the groupies. Now that is what I call a financially sound wrestler who is almost as smart as Vince McMahon and HHH *fulfills McMahon asskissing quota*

Stupid young wrestlers, playing VIDJA GAMES and not taking obscene amounts of drugs like the intelligent wrestlers in the old days did... who were so intelligent, they died with 40 because their brains exploded due to sound financial planning, work ethics and intelligence.

Also, isn't it funny when a promotion that doesn't want to hire good wrestlers is lamenting over the fact that the superstars do not care about wrestling? They will hire a model and than be all shocked because she doesn't know about Andrè The Giant. Wow. Who would have thought that...

Pretty much everybody knows that wrestling knowledge will not get you a job with WWE, in fact, it will will even make it harder. If you want to get into WWE, don't travel around the world, tour Japan and go to England for three months. No, go to the current retarded farm territory, collect a couple of DUIs and you are ready for the big time! It doesn't matter if the training is shit or that nobody of your fellow trainees wants to learn wrestling like the guys on the independent scene do. Kiss some higher ups ass. He will like it until he asks himself "OH WHY DON'T THE YOUNG GUYS LIKE WRESTLING *SOB* " , then he will remember that he is responsible for the status quo because he set the rules. He will then consider two options

1) Doing a good job as a wrestling official

2) More ass kissing / getting laid

You know what he will choose

What could possibly go wrong with a system like that?

I wonder if it angers Jim Ross that Shawn Michaels has conversations about religion, because they have nothing to do with pro wrestling. I wonder if it angers Jim Ross when HHH has a conversation about heavy metal or bodybuilding. I wonder if he hates hearing about Chris Jericho's outside ventures. I wonder if it angers him when the Undertaker goes and gets a tattoo because he should be using that time to watch old NWA title matches. Does he get upset with himself even when he works on his restaurant, because it has nothing to do with wrestling? Having outside interests is a good thing, as those who don't end up like Chris Benoit and Eddy Guerrero.

That said, I can understand and agree with the general sentiment about young wrestlers not taking control of their careers, but I don't understand how overhearing a conversation from two young wrestlers who dared to discuss something not related to wrestling caused him to draw the conclusion he did.

On today's wrestlers' priorities: Listening to some young wrestlers talk amongst themselves recently, I was shocked to hear of the variety of subject matters they so "profoundly" discussed. IPods, IPhones, "I" period but nothing about wrestling, counters, submissions, paying their taxes, saving their money, hiring a financial planner, preparing for their future....you get the picture.

Someone please drop this quote on his head the next time he rails against evil agents getting in the ears of young talent causing them to make all sorts of unreasonable demands, like gasp getting more time off or more money like the older veterans in similar spots on the card.

Broke and seemingly helpless wrestlers from any era can largely blame themselves for not having the common sense or discipline to prepare for their futures.

Someone please drop this quote on his head the next time he whines about being fired twice by Vince McMahon. Or better yet, someone send him JJ Dillon's autobiography that details how Vince McMahon encouraged JJ to stop renting a home in Conneticut, helped him get an expensive mortgage that he wouldn't have been able to obtain on his own and how a few years later Vince cut his pay by 40%, causing him to eventually have to declare bankruptcy.

Broke and seemingly helpless wrestlers from any era can largely blame themselves for not having the common sense or discipline to prepare for their futures.

Someone please drop this quote on his head the next time he whines about being fired twice by Vince McMahon. Or better yet, someone send him JJ Dillon's autobiography that details how Vince McMahon encouraged JJ to stop renting a home in Conneticut, helped him get an expensive mortgage that he wouldn't have been able to obtain on his own and how a few years later Vince cut his pay by 40%, causing him to eventually have to declare bankruptcy.

Don't forget that Vince cut J.J.'s pay because he was a "wrestling person." After the steroid trial, instead of a lower percentage cut of everyone's pay in the office, Vince only cut the pay of the people with wrestling backgrounds - by the aforementioned 40%. Al Hayes quit on the spot.

From one of my favorite scenes from THE WIRE:

- LF: Tell me something, Jimmy. How exactly do you think it all ends?

- JmN: What do you mean?

- LF: A parade? A gold watch? A shiny Jimmy-McNulty-day moment, when you bring in a case sooooo sweet everybody gets together and says : "Oh, shit, he was right all along! Should´ve listened to the man..."?

The job will not save you, Jimmy. It won´t make you whole, it won´t fill your ass up.

- JmN: I dunno, a good case...

- LF: ...ends. They all end. The handcuffs go click and it´s over. And the next morning, it´s just you in your room with yourself.

- JmN: ...Until the next case.

- LF: Boy, you need something else outside of this here.

- JmN: Like what, dollhouse miniatures?

- LF: Hey, hey, hey, a life. A life, Jimmy, you know what that is?

It´s the shit that happens while you´re waiting for moments that never come."

I hope Cena is a WIRE fan.

Stupid young wrestlers, playing VIDJA GAMES and not taking obscene amounts of drugs like the intelligent wrestlers in the old days did... who were so intelligent, they died with 40 because their brains exploded due to sound financial planning, work ethics and intelligence.

I'm guessing JR wants this generation of wrestlers to avoid the pitfalls that previous generations fell into.

JR has talked about how he spent time in his former position encouraging guys to save and invest money. People like Christian, Jericho, Trish, Booker, and others apparently were smart with their money and were able to walk away from WWE on their own terms. That's not something that happened a lot in the past. Seems like good advice to me.

No one's saying his basic premise is wrong, it's just that the idea of listening to two young guys talk about their newfangled technology prompted to to grump like and old man is hilarious.

Grump on his blog, which is on that internet thing that's always full of lies and people who were NEVER IN TEH BIZ ranting about things they don't know about.

No one's saying his basic premise is wrong, it's just that the idea of listening to two young guys talk about their newfangled technology prompted to to grump like and old man is hilarious.

Grump on his blog, which is on that internet thing that's always full of lies and people who were NEVER IN TEH BIZ ranting about things they don't know about.

Exactly! If these guys are always backstage goofing around and never watching the matches or taking advantage of talking to the vets then that's one thing but it's certainly not how Ross presented it. Just because he happened to overhear a conversation about iPods and iPhones...well, so what? People have outside interests (at least normal, healthy people do). It's called having a balanced life and doesn't make you any less committed to your craft.

I'm an actor and I'm working on my craft every day...whether it's working, auditioning, taking class, teaching class...etc. I'm also hanging out tonight watching the Red Sox game and typing on a pro wrestling board. Neither of which has anything to do with acting but it doesn't mean I don't work hard at it. It makes you human.

Coming from someone who has side interests of a restaurant and loudly proclaims his love of watching a very non pro wrestling game of Sooners football it's a little hypocritical.

If it's a widespread problem in the company and "all of the young wrestlers" have this attitude, there might be a problem with the company itself. Any company you work for can shout "rah rah team" and tell you to do stuff to distinguish yourself as a theory. If, in practice, the company is doing everything opposite that then it's not necessarily just a problem with the youngsters. A lot of corporations and companies have those "team building" seminars and stuff along those lines but most don't follow through with showing their employees that they are a team. It's all about the employee showing his loyalty to the company while the company does stuff to undercut the team values it pretends to encourage.

For example..."oh the young guys aren't taking enough steps to be good promo guys or to develop their characters". Well, how much freedom do they even get in that area any longer? They are told exactly what to say. They are told what character they are to portray. It's not even like it was 10 years ago with Austin and Rock and Mankind being allowed to develop and find their characters. Today's product is overproduced and there's no room for individuality or discovering that rare gem. For all intents and purposes they are just being told what to say, where to stand...etc. In acting, there's a thing called "a line reading" and it's the antithesis of what a good director says. The director says to the actor "say this line like this" and basically wants the person to mimic what he just did. Why bother hiring the person in the first place since you don't care about what they're bringing to the table...only that they say the words exactly the way you want. There are no longer room for guys to break through via happy accidents (Austin 3:16)

I say, if Ross feels it's that much of a problem, then do something about it instead of passive aggressively putting something in his blog. Have some of the wrestlers who have saved well hold classes while they are sitting around at the arena all day. Actually schedule seminars with guys like Steamboat on selling or Michael Hayes on the art of the promo. It's not just up to the performers because it's an overall issue that affects the company, too (at least for the performance aspect...as someone mentioned, they like when the wrestlers need the money as they can hold it over them). It's a star driven business and if they're not doing everything in their power to create new stars, then it's their own fault.

"On today's wrestlers' priorities: Listening to some young wrestlers talk amongst themselves recently, I was shocked to hear of the variety of subject matters they so "profoundly" discussed. IPods, IPhones, "I" period but nothing about wrestling, counters, submissions, paying their taxes, saving their money, hiring a financial planner, preparing for their future....you get the picture."

I do.

Were the guys in Mid South and Crockett talking about wrestling, counters, submissions, paying their taxes, saving their money, hiring a financial planner, preparing for their future...

... or where they talking about pussy, coke, pussy, beer, pussy, whiskey, pussy, pain killers, pussy, steroids, pussy, cars, pussy, clothes, pussy, what a cocksucker the booker is, pussy, what a tightwad the promoter is, pussy, what a jerkoff another wrestler is, pussy, what pains in the ass their wives are, pussy, needing to go get some penicillin for the clap they picked up from that ring rat, and pussy.

Ross would have us believe in a noble era of heroic wrestlers dedicated to their art.

It's a myth.

The only question is whether Jimbo knows he's spinning a myth, or if he's lost in the punch at this point.

John, who enjoyed seeing Jimbo on the OU sidelines watching the Longhorns stomp a mudhole in the Sooners...

"Damn you Colt McCoy... damn you to hell!!!"

He knows. Look at Magnum, as soon as he could afford it he had a sweet ride and wrapped around a pole at high speed. The vast majority of wrestlers had expensive cars and they had to neglect every speed limit in order to get to the next show. Doesn't that void Ross's claims?

A wrestler planning his future is probably the exception rather than the norm. But with all the stress, the travels and the drugs they need in order to go on... can you blame them?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LShunter

From the latest blog:

Speaking of Halloween and the generation we live in and what our society may look forward to in the future, some little 7 or 8 year old spoiled brat asked Jan if she had Kit Kat bars and she said no that she had Snickers, Milky Ways, M&M's and several other prominent name brand candy. After finding out that there were no Kit Kat bars the boy told my wife, "Keep your candy lady" and walked off. His mommy was waiting for the child in their Mercedes at the end of our drive way but what I would have given to have been at the door when the little jerk showed complete disrespect to someone providing him FREE stuff.

Get back to your video game you little turd or go critique a wrestling show on the internet.

The same post also has this gem:

Yours truly made the mistake of watching "Beyond the Mat" late Friday night and watching it still pisses me off. I honestly feel as if I was duped during the production of this film which I was told specifically was only going to be an "art film" and released only in a few selected art theaters. No one ever mentioned a DVD release or the fact that the film was produced in 1999 and is still playing on cable. Bottom line, I spend many, many hours in helping facilitate WWE talents for the film not to mention helping provide unlimited access and got not as much as a thank you in the credits much less a pay day. The film goes to great lengths to sensationalize the negative aspect of the business, some deservedly so, and without question the production had its stellar moments. But a thanks and a check would have been nice to have received as I assure you that the film made someone some cash.

Someone's still getting yelled at for telling Tony Jones to get on the gas while they were on-camera.

Also: LOL that he was shocked that an "art film" would get a DVD release and/or cable play for years.

Someone's still getting yelled at for telling Tony Jones to get on the gas while they were on-camera.

Also: LOL that he was shocked that an "art film" would get a DVD release and/or cable play for years.

Yeah it's common practice for documentaries not to pay ancillary characters. It wasn't like Ross was featured in the documentary like Funk, Foley or Roberts were. Although a "thank you" in the credits would have been nice.

For a guy who oversaw some of the most one sided contracts in entertainment and being a big believer in people taking responsibility for themselves, maybe he should have thought it through before signing the release. Or maybe he should have got one of those "money wasting" agents he likes to complain about :)

I really get the feeling that Jim Ross is incredibly lost in the modern world. He seems to have the mentality of an 80 year old only in a 50 year old's body. I mean, even the tiniest of art house films are released on DVD. Movies with $5 budgets are released on DVD. Did he really think, considering the relatively smaller success that groups like RF Video had in the late 90's in releasing shoot interviews, that a behind-the-scenes look at the biggest wrestling company in the world wouldn't gather some sort of audience on home video or DVD? I mean that just seems implausibly unrealistic unless you are completely and hopelessly ignorant of modern society.

Perhaps some of you read a recent blog here where I described the little, spoiled brat, akin to some internet feedback providers who “hate” me, and how he disrespected my wife because we didn’t have Kit Kat bars at Halloween. I mentioned that the kid’s mommy was driving him from house to house in our neighborhood in a ‘Benz. From that these defiant young ‘net fans, who hate me, deducted from all that info that we live in the hoity toity section of Norman. We live in a nice section of town but certainly not a gated community loaded w/ mansions. Wish we did, but sorry to disappoint the handful of “fans” that the Ross’ live a very normal existence. These are the same idiots who can’t figure out why a BBQ website mentions BBQ so often. Perhaps their acne cream is adversely affecting their still developing judgment.