Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

From today's WO update:

--On Jim Ross' web site today, he speculated Shawn Michaels might retire at Wrestlemania 26. He definitely knocked some of the undercard talent: "Amazing to see so many wanna be stars contribute literally nothing intellectually to their ring personas. Nothing. Many spend more time in catering or talking to one of seeming two dozen Divas than getting with those that can help them develop their presentation and in ring personas. Amazing." He said he was worried about Mae Young wrestling. He noted Jim Neidhart was at Raw in Tampa, praised Santino Marella and noted they were taking two weeks worth of Smackdowns this coming Tuesday in Manchester, which makes for a long night.

Jesus Christ.

Maybe people in the undercard don't give a shit because the writers only care about the main eventers and everyone else is left to flail about aimlessly? Then in the next sentence praising Santino, who's act has grown amazingly stale in the last few months?

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LShunter

These are the same idiots who can’t figure out why a BBQ website mentions BBQ so often. Perhaps their acne cream is adversely affecting their still developing judgment.

I have to read his blog more often, it's just so damn entertaining.

From today's WO update:

--On Jim Ross' web site today, he speculated Shawn Michaels might retire at Wrestlemania 26. He definitely knocked some of the undercard talent: "Amazing to see so many wanna be stars contribute literally nothing intellectually to their ring personas. Nothing. Many spend more time in catering or talking to one of seeming two dozen Divas than getting with those that can help them develop their presentation and in ring personas. Amazing." He said he was worried about Mae Young wrestling. He noted Jim Neidhart was at Raw in Tampa, praised Santino Marella and noted they were taking two weeks worth of Smackdowns this coming Tuesday in Manchester, which makes for a long night.

Jesus Christ.

Maybe people in the undercard don't give a shit because the writers only care about the main eventers and everyone else is left to flail about aimlessly? Then in the next sentence praising Santino, who's act has grown amazingly stale in the last few months?

I hate his little deluded fantasy world where everything revolves around "the business". And since "the Internet" is a new-fangled thing and they say bad things about wrestling on there, everything from the Internet to iPods to videogames are bad.

Stale? Even Stale he's still the best thing about the Raw brand except maybe Miz/Morrison. Half the rest of the undercard could be released and I doubt anyone would care.

You're right, but he's still stale. He can be funny, but he's been relegated to the comedy ghetto where he'll get banana peel wins but for the most part is not taken seriously. There's no reason for the fans to care about anything he does.

If he was booked to be taken seriously, He wouldn't last very long.

My point is that no one in the mid card is pushed seriously, that's why WWE has such a hard time getting new main eventers over. I'm not saying everything has to be SERIOUS~! but it's hard to create new stars when everyone gets cut off at the knees right out of the box constantly.

Ross is probably jealous that all the young swimsuit models go to John Laurinaitis for help. ;)

But seriously, someone should ask Good Ol' JR how the most powerful members of the creative team took his creative input and advice, and why should the young talent listen to him when his ideas either fell on deaf ears or worse pissed off someone in management that it lead to another one of his burials?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more Rossy goodness from his latest blog on Brock Lesnar:

UFC promoters discovered what many successful pro wrestling promoters had known for years and that is their fan base would pay big money to see someone get their ass beat if that individual represented what the majority of the fan base disliked which could come in a variety of incarnations. In the annals of pro wrestling, that could mean an evil "German", a diabolical "Japanese", a menacing "Masked Man", or a flamboyant "Loud Mouth" among many personas.

Lesnar was none of these but he did have the "distasteful" pro wrestling stigma attached to him that will be a part of his UFC bio until the day he retires. Never mind that the guy was a superb amateur wrestler long before his short albeit successful stint in the WWE. "Dammit the guy was one of those pro 'rasslers and those guys have no business in any form of MMA." Wrong.

How could you say that Lesnar wasn't cocky? Of course he was a loudmouth and it was solid promoting to do so. Ross is convinced that the reason he was getting booed is just because he's a wrestler. He's locked onto that. Nothing mentioned that he's facing one of the most beloved UFC fighters ever in his comeback match to the promotion. Nah, it's just 'cause he's a wrassler.

Of course, according to some of the MMA vocal minority, I, being a proud member of the pro wrestling community for many years, have no business writing about a sport of which I am a huge fan on a website that our company owns. Shame on me.

Isn't this the same guy who rails against wrestling websites? It's ok when he writes about something he's never been a part of but no one else can do it because they don't know what they're talking about?

he pro wrestling bias isn't new nor is it going away any time soon. Some former wrestlers have reluctantly had to distance themselves from the genre to become successful in other fields. That's not because these individuals don't respect the fans or the wrestling business but it's because the decision makers of their new endeavors don't want to be associated with the wrestling biz.

That's sad.

Yeah pro wrestling just gets a bad rap is all! There's nothing sleazy going on. Nothing anyone wouldn't be thrilled to be associated with!

Of course there is a stigma to pro wrestling and always has. I just don't think they do themselves any favors in how they present themselves, treat the talent and alienate themselves from mainstream media. You can't act in that manner and then cry you're being judged unfairly. Well, you can. You just lose credibility.

Of course, according to some of the MMA vocal minority, I, being a proud member of the pro wrestling community for many years, have no business writing about a sport of which I am a huge fan on a website that our company owns. Shame on me.

Isn't this the same guy who rails against wrestling websites? It's ok when he writes about something he's never been a part of but no one else can do it because they don't know what they're talking about?

I think he's just against web sites that get stuff wrong. He's said on his blog that the Observer is a valid source of news and has a place in the wrestling world.

It sounds like the pro wrestling connection is a big hold-up to a lot of MMA fans when it comes to Lesnar. Maybe more to the hardcores than the average fans. Casual fans probably boo him more because of his antics.

The Pro wrestling connection as a lot more to do with it than you think. My friend who's a casual fan can't stand the guy because he was a pro wrestler. That and the boring Heath fight.

Maybe...I didn't get that vibe from the crowd, though. I can't fault any crowd for booing an opponent of a returning Randy Couture. I've been a hardcore MMA fan for quite awhile and never had a problem with him being a pro wrestler. It's not like it's Batista climbing in there...Lesnar has legit cred

I wonder if it's just that he's a wrestler or because he shot up so quickly due to the notoriety of being a wrestler? That, coupled with his attitude.

I certainly didn't find the Heath Herring fight boring. In fact, I thought that entire PPV was one of the better ones in recent memory.

UFC promoters discovered what many successful pro wrestling promoters had known for years and that is their fan base would pay big money to see someone get their ass beat if that individual represented what the majority of the fan base disliked which could come in a variety of incarnations. In the annals of pro wrestling, that could mean an evil "German", a diabolical "Japanese", a menacing "Masked Man", or a flamboyant "Loud Mouth" among many personas.

Lesnar was none of these but he did have the "distasteful" pro wrestling stigma attached to him that will be a part of his UFC bio until the day he retires. Never mind that the guy was a superb amateur wrestler long before his short albeit successful stint in the WWE. "Dammit the guy was one of those pro 'rasslers and those guys have no business in any form of MMA." Wrong.

Like others noted, the wrestling (w/o rock) connection did give MMA fans a reason to hate Lesnar. So, if I'm reading this correctly, hating a guy just because he was a pro wrestler is bad, but hating a guy because he's German, Japanese, wears a mask, talks too much, or has any number of other personae is totally OK.

Or, alternately, it's wrong for people to hate Lesnar because he was only briefly a pro wrestler and had an extensive amateur career before that, just like fans shouldn't have hated Fritz Von Erich or Hans Schmidt because they weren't really German, or Yokozuna or Mr. Fuji because they weren't really Japanese, any masked wrestler ever because they weren't born with them hot glued to their faces, heel Eddie Guerrero because he was supposedly very soft-spoken in real life, or anyone else who's real personality doesn't totally match up with their on-screen reputation. I wonder if the opposite holds true for faces who are grouchy, hateful, vile human beings in real life?

For a grouchy, hateful, vile, human being, JR had some nice, encouraging words directed towards Elijah Burke shortly after he was released.

Hey, we can also have our double standards ;)

I just realized that all the criticism about wrestlers playing video games is totally hilarious if you remember all the stories about the WWWF guys playing card games non stop. Apparently card games > video games

For a grouchy, hateful, vile, human being, JR had some nice, encouraging words directed towards Elijah Burke shortly after he was released.

Just because he's a hate-filled grouch doesn't mean he can't admire a wrestler's work.

Speaking of WWE's MMA issues, did anyone see the wwe.com article about how UFC PPVs are an unsafe bet because they might end early?

Critics have noted that many of the fights on the UFC pay-per-view ended in the first round, leaving UFC producers scrambling to fill the three-hour event with content. The dearth of hearty competition left many viewers to watch less prestigious under-card fights and only served to bolster claims that UFC pay-per-view events can often be a "crap shoot" in regards to filling the full three hours.

Some of the most hilarious sour grapes I've ever seen from them. You know that's what Vince keeps telling himself. "Entertainment is superior to UFC because their fights can end after 30 seconds." It's just like after the Tyson-McNeely fight when they were all "our main event won't last 87 seconds!" (Although given that their main event that month was Kevin Nash vs Mabel, they may have picked the wrong fight.) Besides which, the fights ending quickly DOESN'T leave them scrambling to fill time, because they always tape three to five dark matches to show if they need to fill time. Maybe the fact that the shows don't end with the winner of the main event celebrating alone in the octagon with some dated-sounding nu-metal blaring over the loudspeaker and fireworks going off means that UFC doesn't produce climatic "movie endings" as well as WWE does (because, you know, MMA is an actual sport), but it works for them.

From the new blog:

"Randy Orton's attitude and "coolness" appeals to the 18-34 male demo who are defiant by nature just as is the 3rd generation star. I recently read where some less than bright wrestling fans misinterpreted my statement that Orton got cheered by many male fans when he defeated Batista at the Survivor Series as some sort of perverse Michael Jackson-like scenario. Have some wrestling fans with too much time on their hands simply lost their minds?"

I just want to know which web sites JR visits. He often brings up some really weird complaints from online fans. And how has he never responded to one of you guys?

Too bad a few idiots who provide feedback on some wrestling websites simply don't get it. I mentioned that Mike Knox reminded me of a young, 1974 version of Bruiser Brody known then as Frank Goodish. I actually "knew" Frank and did not simply get to know the character by seeing his persona on old Japanese wrestling tapes. Knox is a smart guy, like Frank, has a big rangy frame, just as Frank did in the mid 70's, and pays attention, just as Goodish always did. Will Knox ever be as good as Bruiser Brody? We, as fans, can only hope so. So, no having a beard and being a large, Caucasian male isn't the only similarities I see between Mike Knox and Frank Goodish aka Bruiser Brody. And these little geeks call me a dumbass.

This is a pretty Grouchy Hateful Vile human Being rant from his recent blog