Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the media would be supportive of any Premiership footballer who came out, but I'm not sure that rival fans would be so supportive. The majority maybe, but you only need a few idiots in every crowd to make a player's life miserable. Justin Fashanu ring a bell? From Wikipedia:

In 1990, he publicly came out as gay in an interview with the tabloid press, becoming the only prominent player in English football so far to do so. Many former colleagues spoke out in anger against him, stating that gays had no place in a team sport, and his brother John publicly disowned him. Although he claimed that he was generally well accepted by his fellow players, he freely admitted that they would often joke maliciously about his sexual orientation, and he also became the target of constant crowd abuse because of it.

I know that was 20 years ago, but one can understand why there hasn't been another Premiership footballer to come out since then.

Maybe JR's just as sick as I am of people "coming out" like it's the 1960s and it's some "heroic" act. It's 2010. Really, do you even need to come out anymore? I mean the fact that anytime a gay person is killed it's portrayed as a "hate crime" doesn't help matters as far as the media is concerned, but aren't we basically at the point were a teenage homosexual can just be gay the way a straight person wouldn't feel the need to sit his/her family down and share the news with them..

Just to support Loss's point, a teenage gay can't in the US be gay the way a straight person is. Very recent example:

Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

McMillen: I Was Sent to Fake Prom

We're an utterly fucked up country on sex. Coming out like McMillen did *is* brave. And it's not uncommon to be forced to eat shit in this country for being brave. :/

John

On more JR related topics, anyone know why he continues to work for the company that has gone great lengths to humiliate him in ways that stand out even by Vince's/WWE's standards? I don't think he needs the money, he seems pretty smart in terms of saving what he earned plus the restaurant looks like it's doing well. Is it just his way of sticking it to Vince in terms of making them pay him when they really don't want to just to keep him from going to TNA or some MMA group?

Gay marriage being legal in Canada doesn't change that Alberta is full of God-fearing conservatives. For example.

Legal and social acceptance are pretty different things.

Just to back you up, here are hate crime statistics in Canada from 2006 (it isn't just Alberta, as you can see, although Calgary is a big focal point):

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85f0033m/85f0...2008017-eng.pdf

Key stat to note (albeit there are many interesting ones) is that 1 in 10 hate crimes in Canada are related to sexual orientation. It ain't necessarily paradise up here either.

JR on Shawn Michaels:

Did I think that in 1996 that HBK would eventually wind up his career as arguably the greatest in ring performer of his generation? Honestly, no. Shawn's life style was rather controversial at that time and did not lend itself to having a long, illustrious career. Thank goodness that Shawn made dynamic and distinctive changes in his life which then propelled him to the rarefied air of greatness in the pro wrestling biz. More importantly than re-establishing himself as one of wrestling's greats of all time, Shawn Michaels became a much better man which is more important that being anyone's show stopper.

Is JR saying what I think he's saying?

Now this is pretty grouchy, hateful and hypocritical:

Does it bother me when some former WWE talents bad mouth me in 'shoot' interviews? Not really. Disgruntled talents in the world of sports and entertainment are a dime a dozen. I will readily admit that I was not perfect in a 'can't win for losing job and in a job where one could never make every one happy' but it's not my fault that guys who made big money did not save it, pay their taxes or act like responsible adults. When one hears the proverbial 'shoot interviews' and people go on their manufactured, soap boxes and take pot shots at a variety of people or, even more ridiculously, take credit for other's successes in a manner where the disgruntled, self promoting underachievers are almost breaking their arms patting themselves on the back, then I suggest that you take most of what they rant about with a grain of salt. Most are trying to regain relevancy and to sell a DVD to justify a pay day.

JR on Shawn Michaels:

Shawn's life style was rather controversial at that time and did not lend itself to having a long, illustrious career.

Is JR saying what I think he's saying?
Presumably you're reading into that that he's saying that Shawn was gay (or, at least, unsafely promiscuous) and was at risk of contracting HIV, judging by the phrasing.

Surely it makes much more sense to stick with what we know: Shawn was pilled up, and JR's acknowledging that that particular lifestyle would've likely resulted in his being found in a hotel room one day had he kept it up.

Surely it makes much more sense to stick with what we know: Shawn was pilled up, and JR's acknowledging that that particular lifestyle would've likely resulted in his being found in a hotel room one day had he kept it up.

That's what I thought he was saying, actually. :) I don't know, to me it's pretty silly for the former WWE head of talent relations to insinuate that he didn't expect Shawn to become an all time great in 1996, because he thought he might die before he became one.

Yeah, I'd find the insinuations of Shawn being bisexual a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying it's out of the question that he might've been, but I think quite clearly a reference to drug use. I'm pretty sure that's been acknowledged on his DVD sets, though, so it's nothing I'm amazed at hear JR say.

And, actually, I'm more with him than against him on the shoot interviews and money-saving front. If he's going around telling young wrestlers to save their money and get solid financial advice, then that's a good thing. And, come on, shoot interviews are a cash-in and are not really something you watch expecting an objective perspective on things. That doesn't mean they're altogether false and full of nothing but lies and slander, but I'd hardly use one individual interview from a Scott Steiner, say, as my source of information on something.

The whole fake prom thing was INSANE for a supposedly civilised country not just for the lesbian couple but for special ed classmates.

reading that fake prom link made me embarassed to be part of the human race.

I'll probably get heat for this, but my first instinct was "Oh, that's terrible," but then I laughed. It does have an equal mixture of "Wow, this is fucked up," and, "Oh my god, this is hilarious."

Things like this are really a dime a dozen to me now, after being in war, and in a state of nature, I am desensitized to these "minute" blimps of imperfection of the human race.

And, come on, shoot interviews are a cash-in and are not really something you watch expecting an objective perspective on things. That doesn't mean they're altogether false and full of nothing but lies and slander, but I'd hardly use one individual interview from a Scott Steiner, say, as my source of information on something.

I don't disagree, but it's a bit rich coming from Ross, since he did a shoot interview with Wade Keller in the past.

Considering JR's job was to give the news that someone was to be "endeavored", I don't think it's surprising that ex WWF guys may not have a favorable opinion of the guy.

Also HBK's drug use wasn't even that well kept a secret at the time, let alone him being open about it now. Hell he'd be on TV looking less-than-top-form back in the Rockers days.

Just what the hell does Vince hate him for, anyway? From what I know Vince just hates his accent and thinks it doesn't make his show seem "New York" enough. Is it that he hates him for getting over? Didn't he let Hunter bash his eye in and get away with it?

Didn't he let Hunter bash his eye in and get away with it?

Yup. Apparently HHH was pissed about getting lowballed on a payoff years earlier and Vince told him that it was Ross's doing.

That is really a ridiculous story. It's hard to believe that stuff like that could go down, still to this day. Vince must really be the biggest a**hole on the planet. It's truly shocking that one of the "boys" that he's screwed over in one way or another in the last 25 years hasn't taken him out.

While watching WM26, there still was a little part of me that thought Bret was going to do something to truly even up the score for some of the horrible things that Vince has done to him and his family.

As for Ross, I just can't understand why he would want to come back, then or now. Must be the sickness, as Piper would say.

Yeah, that's absolutely ridiculous. Talking about HHH's insecurity. "Let's have daddy-in-law have me work with the 50 year old announcer with bell's palsy and have a match, you know, a worked match, so I can actually punch the guy in the eye without getting charged for assault nor having another guy kick my ass for it, because I'm a frustrated little bitch." They totally do that in entertainment companies like Vince believes he's running.

I'm all for a good JR bashing, but his job was a thankless job, and I think there's better stuff to criticize him over.

I agree that it was a thankless job and there's probably better things to criticize him over, but JR comes across as way more grouchy in his response about being bad mouthed in shoot interviews than JJ Dillon ever did in his book and they had the same job.

Maybe he's still angry that JR left his job as VP and moved back to Oklahoma. Vince is supposed to be weird about loyalty.

I think Sean's right here. Vince is a workaholic who has no life outside the business. Anyone who can't commit their whole lives to his company is being disloyal.