Congress requests WWE drug testing records

Bix

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the new F4W...

Don't think nobody has noticed that just a few weeks after a second "SAY NO TO DRUGS" speech to the locker room, Vince McMahon and Triple H are gigantic. Vince's arms were insanely big Monday, and although Hunter came back looking significantly smaller and leaner at SummerSlam he's also getting bigger and bigger with each passing week. The wrestlers are very aware of this and amazed at how they're told one thing and then the two most powerful on-screen characters in the company seem to be sending a completely different message. This is the most fascinating business in the world. Several months ago I wrote a column for the Fight Network where I basically lamented about how when Benoit first died I thought this was going to be the one that really lead to change in the business, but in the end it looked like it was going to come and go and in the end no one would care all that much and things would return to a fucked-up normal. Then Congress actually started talking with people and requesting information about WWE, and then it was flat-out stated that hearings were going to likely be taking place in mid-September. I thought, wow, maybe something really is going to happen here. Well, by the time those of you who get the print version of this newsletter receive it, it will be October and there are no hearings on the books. Nothing. It's terribly quiet. And those who have worked closely with the government in Washington DC tell us that everything pretty much shuts down from Thanksgiving to the New Year. If you look at how quickly the world changes, and where pro-wrestling hearings probably rank on the importance scale anyway, the chances of this being picked up in January looks very slim. If nothing happens within the next 30 days or so, there may be little chance of it happening anytime soon. Judging from a lot of different things, my feeling is that WWE was forthright in sending all their policy information and whatever else, they snowed a lot of people with their recent "hard-line suspensions" and rehab offer to all former wrestlers, and maybe in doing investigations Congress came to the conclusion that hearings would largely be a waste of time. Regardless of what might be said, Vince and Hunter appear to be sending their own message to the world that this is all over and it's time to get back into the swing of things again. I guess if this is the end I can't get too depressed about it, because I suppose deep down I never really expected anything to change.

• 1 month later...

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

--The House Energy and Commerce Committee, headed by Representative Billy Rush, will hold hearings on performance enhancing drugs in sports when it comes back from the winter recess. The wrestling hearings will be part of more hearings that will cover baseball and other sports, but the two main sports will be baseball and pro wrestling. Vince needs to "thank" Barry Bonds for this one because that indictment spurred Rush on, who had in the past been concerned, but not concerned enough to call hearings, on wrestling.

Concerned, right. Rush decided to hold hearings because all the sudden he was concerned with steroids, and not because a steroid hearing now in the wake of the Bonds scandal is good press and publicity.

As an aside, what does Energy and Commerce have to do with all this? This is a separate committee from the Senate group that held the famous MLB hearings with Palmeiro, et al. This one really reeks of political gamesmanship, moreso than usual.

• 2 months later...

Didn't know which thread to put this in, but...

In case you guys haven't checked it out yet, try to track down a copy of this week's Sports Illustrated. The first story in the Features section, even before all the NFL Playoff coverage, is one about a kid who had started in-line skating at age 10, his father began injecting him with steroids and HGH at age 13 and today, the father is in jail as a result and the kid is suffering through a shitload of regrets. The wrestling part, you ask? Well, one "doctor" the kid saw wasn't even a licensed doctor and injected the kid illegally. The kid wasn't the only guy the "doctor" gave steroids too; according to the article, he has receipts from Paul Wight, Randy Poffo, Chris Benoit and Eddy Guerrero, which makes me think he dealt with them during their days in WCW.

Well worth tracking down.

• 1 month later...

It appears that something may still be brewing...

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...cle100314.shtml

Dot Net Exclusive: At least two former WWE wrestlers have been contacted by Congress

Feb 27, 2008 - 12:14 PM

Members of congress reached out to at least two former WWE wrestlers shortly after they were released by the company. Bobby Lashley and Chris Masters have told friends they were contacted and asked about the WWE drug testing policy. In Masters’ case, the word going around is that he was asked whether ‘s true that his physical appearance was mocked on WWE television after he returned from a suspension. The question was asked regarding an on-air segment with Triple H, who mocked Masters for losing a significant amount of weight (i.e. muscle mass) in a short period of time.

Powell’s POV: The jokes about Masters’ physique were not limited to on-camera segments. Backstage observers say Hunter mercilessly mocked Masters’ shrinking physique and referred to him as the “incredible shrinking man." Obviously, Hunter’s status as Vince McMahon’s son-in-law makes this a bigger issue. The on-camera incident was shocking at the

time and could come back to haunt WWE.

Meanwhile, at the subcommittee meeting...

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...cle100311.shtml

Congressional chairman calls out Vince McMahon, says steroids problem is worse in pro wrestling than in any other sport

Feb 27, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Congressman Bobby L. Rush, the chairman of the Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection Subcommittee meeting on drugs in professional sports, addressed Vince McMahon and the steroid problem in professional wrestling during Wednesday’s hearing. The hearing is being attended by the commissioners of all major sports. Vince McMahon was invited to the meeting, but he declined while citing his lawyer’s unavailability to attend the conference with him. McMahon claimed that he would be willing to meet with the subcommittee whenever his lawyer’s schedule permits.

Rush made the following statement: “Steroid abuse in pro wrestling is probably worse than in any professional sport or amateur sport. And while I recognize that professional wrestling is not actually “a sport,” it certainly requires a great deal of athletic talent. It is immensely popular with young people, including children, and many of the high-profile athletes and entertainers have fatally abused steroids and other drugs.

“The number of deaths in the professional wrestling ranks is startling to say the least. And the tragedy of Chris Benoit (name mispronounced) has been well documented. I want to insure Mr. McMahon that this committee—his subcommittee—fully intends to deal with the illegal steroid abuse in professional wrestling. And we hope he will be part of the solution and not part of the problem. We intend to see procede deliberatively on this particular matter. We have options and Mr. McMahon should and must be willing to cooperate with the undertakings of this subcommittee and we expect no less.”

Powell’s POV: Rush made these comments before introducing the various sports commissioners to the committee. He clearly said more about Vince McMahon’s absence, but ESPNews, which is covering the hearing live, missed the first portion of his comments while in commercial. Anyone in WWE who thought the storm had passed and they could return to business as usual was clearly mistaken.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...cle100312.shtml

Vince McMahon was the only witness to decline subcommittee’s invitation

Feb 27, 2008 - 11:01 AM

Bobby Rush, the chairman of the Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection Subcommittee, noted during today’s hearing in Washington D.C. that Vince McMahon is the only witness to decline an invitation to participate. The top mainstream sports are represented by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, NBA commissioner David Stern, MLB commissioner Bud Selig, and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, and members of the various players unions.

Rush used the words “exceptionally and extremely disappointed” to describe his feelings on McMahon declining the invitation. To read a story on the hearings, visit Forbes.com.

Powell’s POV: The consensus of people I’ve talked with this morning is that Vince made a big mistake by not appearing at the hearing because Rush’s words suggest that he and other representatives are offended by his invitation. As I previously noted, Vince sent word to the committee that he would not attend because his lawyer was unavailable to accompany him due to scheduling issues.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...cle100315.shtml

Representative accuses Vince McMahon of flipping his finger at Congress, says he doesn’t belong at the same table as sports panel

Feb 27, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Congressman Lee Terry of Nebraska opened his statement at today’s Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection Subcommittee by commending chairman Bobby Rush for calling out Vince McMahon earlier. “Mr. chairman, you rightfully called out Vince McMahon,” Terry said. “Someone that flips his finger at this committee or at Congress deserves to be called out. On the other hand, we have a really esteemed panel and in my personal opinion Vince McMahon does not belong at this table with these people.”

Powell’s POV: For what it's worth, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell smiled at Terry’s comment about Vince not belonging on the same panel. Meanwhile, NFL union chief Gene Upshaw openly chuckled at the remark, while the rest of the panel did nothing to acknowledge it. Vince McMahon has been known to boast over how much he enjoys a good fight and it appears he has one waiting for him with Congress.

McDevitt is legitimately occupied, with an oddly coincidental case...

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...cle100317.shtml

Vince McMahon’s attorney is involved in a high-profile case

Feb 27, 2008 - 01:37 PM

Vince McMahon’s attorney Jerry McDevitt is indeed working on a high profile case in Pittsburgh. He is a member of the team that is defending a former Allegheny County coroner who is accused of using his public office for private gain and defrauding clients of his private pathology consulting business. The case is newsworthy enough in Pittsburgh that the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is running a daily “Wecht Watch” feature with updates on the trial.

Powell’s POV: This supports the explanation Vince gave the Congressional subcommittee when he declined their invitation to appear at today’s hearing. ‘s worth noting that the man McDevitt is representing previously served as a superior of Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist who examined the brain of Chris Benoit.

Vince McMahon was invited to the meeting, but he declined while citing his lawyer’s unavailability to attend the conference with him.

What the fuck kind of publicly traded company is Vince running?

He doesn't have a firm representing him?

He just has a lawyer?

McDevit has no associates?

What does it say about WWE PR when this is something like the 27th stupidest thing they've said in the last year?

Terry wasn't backing down from his criticism, however. For starters, he found fault with the reason for McMahon's absence.

"He probably has more than one attorney, so it sounded pretty hollow," Terry said in an interview.

He suggested that steroids in wrestling may represent a bigger problem than in baseball because, he said, evidence of their use is more apparent with wrestlers.

"There's no doubt that the entertainment factor is that they are physically huge freaks — that's part of the show, so there is kind of a belief that steroids are very ubiquitous in the wrestling entertainment industry," Terry said.

Gary Davis, a WWE spokesman, said such comments represent stereotypical assumptions made by people who don't follow professional wrestling.

The company administers year-round unannounced tests, he said, with wrestlers being tested an average of four times a year.

Davis said the testing program is focused on the health and well-being of wrestlers, given that there is little competitive edge to be had in fixed contests.

"Whether one performer is stronger than another performer really doesn't make a difference because there's a story line that's scripted, and the outcome of the match is predetermined," Davis said.

• 1 month later...

Not really about Congress, but I didn't want to start a new thread about it:

From Meltzer:

4/6/2008 11:58:00 PM

Lead story on Atlanta news tonight could be major embarrassment to WWE and drug policy

Fox 5 in Atlanta tonight had as one of its lead stories, an item about a man who moved into a home he had just purchased from a WWE wrestler (whose name was not identified in the story).

He found who shoe boxes filled with steroids and Growth Hormone in a crawl space in the wall along with a copy of the wrestlers current contract and a memo regarding changes in te dress code.

They announced they weren't releasing the name of the wrestler who just moved until they spoke with him first.

Thanks to Scott Decker

The story from the Fox Atlanta:

HENRY COUNTY, Ga. (FOX 5) -- Henry County Police are investigating what a Locust Grove man says he found inside his home.

He turned over to police several bottles that were labeled as containing human growth hormones.

The man also gave police numerous syringes and other materials that investigators say could belong to a W.W.E. wrestler.

"I had never looked in here and so she was gonna put her stuff in here and just looked back in here and the boxes were just sitting there," said the homeowner.

The Locust Grove man showed FOX 5 News where his daughter stumbled upon the disturbing find in the attic of their home.

"It was actually pushed over closer to this wall," said the homeowner as he pointed to a nearby wall.

The homeowner was referring to two shoe boxes that contained several small bottles labeled as testosterone, neomasteron -- which is also an anabolic steroid -- some bottles with no markings at all and there were numerous unopened syringes.

Asked what his thoughts were upon discovering the drugs, the homeowner said "well being the fact that I have children I was horrified because my kids actually play up in that room and so the first thing I thought is what if there were to open that and they would have gotten a hold of the stuff and the syringes."

The shoeboxes also contained personal documents with the name of a man who used to live in the house.

Among those documents was a contract from the W.W.E. and a memorandum to W.W.E. superstars in 2004 about the new dress code.

Henry County Police have asked FOX 5 News not to name that wrestler at this time because they want to talk with him first.

Futhermore, no charges have been filed.

Police are still investigating what the substance was in those bottles.

While it is not illegal for W.W.E. wrestlers to take steroids the W.W.E. Director of Publicity Kevin Hennesy told FOX 5 News "wrestlers can only be prescribed steroids by a physician which is rare and only for a specific medical condition and it is usually taken orally."

Hennesy added, "If a wrestler is injecting steroids for performance enhancement purposes that would be a matter for local law enforcement."

Investigators say they believe the wrestler is staying with relatives in another state.

Police want to question him and test the bottles of substances that were found in the Locust Grove home.

What? Since when is it not illegal to take steroids w/o proper medial clearance (which obviously is what's being implied here)?

Guest BilJim2

That's tough to do when his contract was right in there with it. And one look at the guy now vs. a few months ago and you'd have your answer. He's pretty stupid, and apparently thinks everyone else is, too.