Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - August 5, 2020

MoS

The rumours are that Eric Bischoff is the mystery moderator for Cassidy and Jericho's debate. If it is a one time thing, I have no issues with it, since Bischoff has always been a tremendous promo, and Dynamite is better when it's being a Nitro tribute than an early 2010s Raw ripoff.

That was another solid episode of Dynamite. I feel they are hitting their stride. I didn't really care for the Matt/Cody tag match. I feel that match went wayyyyyy too long. Also I feel they should have Cody do more selling of going through all these matches every week. Although I'm super stoked to see Sky get a shot at the TNT Title next week.

That Main Event was really freakin' good. I honestly thought for whatever reason Darby was going to win it all when MJF came out which is rare when a match gets me like that anymore but boy they did a great job telling a story though. Solid Work!

Also these MJF's promos might just be the best promos in wrestling today.

I'm still waiting to see Archer do something. I feel he isn't even close to hitting the ceiling that he has.

53 minutes ago, MoS said:

Fantastic episode of Dynamite, one of the best of the year.

Agreed. Tonight was as good as anything they've ever done. RIP Sue's van, the MJF campaign headquarters, all the blood and that amazing debate really put this one up there.

This is maybe the best job a wrestling company has ever done presenting smaller talent as equals to the heavyweights? We now have two legitimate superstars under 200 lbs. in Darby and Orange with Jungle Boy edging on the midcard. What really helps is the personalities are what's pushed equally, so it's not this constant work-from-underneath philosophy. There's obviously a time and a place for that, especially with actual monsters like Cage and Archer out there. 

My hot take on the women's division is that keeping it all so separate from the men is death. I've never been able to watch an AEW women's segment and not feel bad for everyone involved in some way. Saving Private Ryan was the lead-out for Dynamite and I know I'm being dramatic but they're basically sending these women out on the beaches of Normandy every week. It's so weird also because tonight the only thing from NXT I would touch with a ten foot poll was Rhea and Kai. And then of course no mention of the Tag Tournament and a 3 minute segment. They need to do so much better for the women. 

Commentary was the smoothest yet also, in fact this is the first time I really thought about it which is a big plus. 

13 hours ago, Log said:

When did Bischoff turn into Ray Wise?

That's not only true but quite funny to me as I always thought Richard Beymer in Twin Peaks would have made a perfect Vince.

Terrific episode. Opening was awesome. Say what you want about Dark Order, but they are such a solid team of solid-to-great workers. I really enjoy the addition of Cabana as the "useful idiot" of the groupe and Anna Jay as a potential female star in the future. Page took a wonderful bump on that finish. More slow-burn build...

Best Friends vs Santana & Ortiz was very good and the angle is leading into more yet I guess different in feel, so, good stuf.

MJF's vignette was excellent, glad they put some of the Dark talent out there too.

Cody & Cardona vs Dark Order went too long, and jury's out on Cardona. You can't hold against him years of being nothing in WWE but still, it kinda get awkward to see this guy get a huge entrance with pyro... Don't be TNA guys. That's also something to ponder, as someone younger now should think twice about signing a 5 year contract with WWE, as AEW definitely won't turn into TNA (I don't think), so by wasting years losing your hype and being put in stupid situations (Ricochet, remember the name ?) you can hurt your chances of getting over in AEW. Nothing against Shawn Spears, but he really did not get over and has not turned himself into a compelling character. John Silver is terrific, he's been funny as hell on BTE and he really shined here.

11 hours ago, peachchaos said:

My hot take on the women's division is that keeping it all so separate from the men is death.  (...)  They need to do so much better for the women.

Agree. Why no segment for Hikaru Shida ? She's the fucking champ. Britt Baker has cooled down so much as a character with this Swole feud to me, as I don't give a flying fuck about Swole. Match won't be good, I don't even get why Swole is picking on an injured woman who hasn't done shit to her. This stuff is pretty bad, honestly. Rebel did a good job playing incompetent worker. But yeah, they have so much better things to do with women, get Ivelisse beating some bitch up again. The tall redhead Kylinn King is doing jobs on Dark but she is much better than Swole on every level, put her out there. Get some more personalities over. I know Shanna is stuck in Lisbon but hopefully when she comes back she gets a push. Get Raché Chanel and Abadon on the show, even if the matches aren't super solid, get those characters over. Will Riho ever come back ? And yeah, mix-up the women with the men characters more, only the Nightmare Sisters and Ford (and Leva, but she really isn't doing matches) really have ties with what is happening on the other side of the fence.

The debate was great. Schiavone selling Uncle Eric back on TNT was quite cool. I can dig Easy E. showing up *from time to time* doing special stuff like this. Kinda crazy year for Bischoff when you think about it, he spent months doing nothing in WWE and play scapegoat then shows up on Dynamite only a few months later. Also, Conrad has now basically 3 "AEW" guys on his podcast roster. Orange's promo on global warming was funny as hell and the angle capping off the bit was executed perfectly (Hagger is great a those). Oh, and that look and body maneurisms Jericho did when Orange was cutting that serious promo at the end and walking toward him, just awesome work. Jericho is the greatest 50 years old pro-wrestler ever (and still the MVP of 2020).

Main event was great. Darby is a star. Most compelling young guy in YEARS. They really should focus on him, Jungle Boy and the likes, these people need to get some big win SOON. Hopefully Orange gets the big one next week.

But yeah, apart from the women segment, which was weak as hell, this episode was the best since Fyter Fest.

I was surprised when I looked up Orange Cassidy and saw he was already 36. I am glad he is getting this opportunity now, and am very happy that AEW now exists for the young guys there like Darby Allin who I imagine will have the chance to have more opportunities for a great career than in WWE. Unless covid kills the wrestling business of course.  I really liked the main event and really like Orange Cassidy 's promo. I also feel like the tag team division is so much better booked than WWE's where it feels like there are a lot of top teams and it's a highlight of the show.

Thought this was a fantastic show based purely on how wild it all felt. You had blood, tables breaking, brawling, a chaotic opener. I thought Hardy and Sammy's segment was incredible; Sammy throwing that chair was like something from an IWA-Mid South brawl and what a bladejob from Hardy. I hope it was a blade job anyway because if not, that chair must have caught him clean. No idea what their stipulation is at All Out but it'll be amazing if they can have a 10 minute match on the level of that brawl.

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Because Vince was yelling at him , " God Dammit, JR! No one gives a shit!"

I dunno how controversial this take is, but his AEW stint has made me feel JR needs to be produced to be at his best.

42 minutes ago, MoS said:

I dunno how controversial this take is, but his AEW stint has made me feel JR needs to be produced to be at his best.

When he is strictly calling wrestling moves, I think JR is still a good announcer and can be left to do his job. But unfortunately he is a grumpy old pervert as well. So this shit like him ogling Anna Jay, and bitching about the product is seriously making it not worth having him on the television show, name value or not.

Him cracking jokes about Tony staring at Anna Jay while she is standing right there is totally unprofessional and has to be uncomfortable as hell for her.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Main event was great. Darby is a star. Most compelling young guy in YEARS. They really should focus on him, Jungle Boy and the likes, these people need to get some big win SOON. Hopefully Orange gets the big one next week.

The future with MJF as champ and Darby, Jack, and Orange chasing is the definition of chef's kiss.

6 hours ago, Stiva said:

Sammy throwing that chair was like something from an IWA-Mid South brawl and what a bladejob from Hardy. I hope it was a blade job anyway because if not, that chair must have caught him clean. 

Apparently it was not a bladejob and Sammy was not supposed to throw it straight in his face. He got a talking to backstage but I don't care honestly because I totally agree with you about the blood and the chaotic wildness making that brawl amazing. Obviously I hope they don't overdo it but AEW has shown how much blood can add to wrestling's presentation. 

Also, Sammy is known for his flashy moves, but he has participated in some excellent brawls now. His Revolution match with Darby also started with an all-out brawl and it was excellent. Sammy is also another of AEW's young stars with all the potential in the world.