Pro Wrestling Only

Payback 2020 Roman is The Guy

KawadaSmile

18 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Plus no one is buying WWE shows as PPVs, only as Network subs these days. 

(Yes I realize there are a small amount of people who actually do buy WWE shows on PPV, but statistically it's too small of a number to matter anymore). 

That's the point. Even if it doesn't work, it costs WWE nothing because Network subscriptions are already locked in.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, DMJ said:

Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that for some reason, against all logic, Roman Reigns does not leave with the title tonight?

What I'd do:

Roman beats the living shit out of both guys, going above and beyond the pale, until he's DQed for excessive force.

Otis cashes in and wins.

Roman destroys Otis in a few months, further cementing his (presumed) heel turn BIG DOG STYLE!

To go back to the original question - cuz I really am genuinely curious what everyone thinks as I view this forum as being pretty knowledgeable and bright - what is the thought process behind this show? 

I mean, it is pretty "experimental" to run a Network Special 7 days after SummerSlam. As someone else mentioned, it does bring to mind This Tuesday in Texas and Taboo Tuesday, which were shows where they were obviously testing the waters for...well...I"m not sure. I guess it wasn't obvious. That's why I'm asking the minds here. What was the motivation for those? Is it the same or different than this show? 

I outlined my theories on the first page, but they're just theories. Has Meltzer or anyone else opined about it?

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

What I'd do:

Roman beats the living shit out of both guys, going above and beyond the pale, until he's DQed for excessive force.

How's he gonna get DQ'd when it's No Holds Barred

2 minutes ago, DMJ said:

To go back to the original question - cuz I really am genuinely curious what everyone thinks as I view this forum as being pretty knowledgeable and bright - what is the thought process behind this show? 

Gotta milk the Big Dog Bump, bubba. I mean, you use Summerslam as the return, SmackDown as the reveal he's with Heyman, and instead of waiting for the next PPV on September, you do it on Sunday, bumping the ratings for a second week in a row.

I'll just say this: when dealing with WWE, the best bet is to assume the scummiest possible scenario that can be reconciled with the available facts. Call it McMahon's Razor.

7 minutes ago, C.S. said:

What I'd do:

Otis cashes in and wins.

Roman destroys Otis in a few months, further cementing his (presumed) heel turn BIG DOG STYLE!

It's No Holds Barred, bubba.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwepayback/08-30-2020/universal-champion-bray-wyatt-vs-roman-reigns-vs-braun-strowman

Also make note of the fact that Braun is now known as "The Monster." The quotation marks are part of his name, apparently.

34 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Booker made himself look like a boot licking clown there.

Like he always does.

I don't buy the "PPV fatigue" theory. Or they really are in complete denial about their audience. AEW's core audience doesn't watch WWE. WWE's audience is more susceptible to die from COVID. If anything, they'll fatigue their own audience (I mean, another "PPV" already ?)

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

This card has a Fiend match, a Corbin match, a Nia Jax match, and an IIconics match.

Das 5 stars rating ! Negative 5 stars that is.

19 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

How's he gonna get DQ'd when it's No Holds Barred   

18 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

It's No Holds Barred, bubba. 

It's WWE, Bubba.

Didn't Seth vs. Bray end in a no-contest despite being a Hell in a Cell match? (Either that or some other unmemorable match/stip I've already forgotten.)

Also, I know its not really worth mentioning, but since NXT stopped being a development league and became a "3rd brand," have they actually featured a real NXT match on any PPV? At least when they did ECW, they threw it a bone on most of the major shows. 

Lashley being in the opening card U.S. Title scene and nowhere near the World Title is always good news. He's the weak link of The Hurt Business, and it's not even close. Both MVP and Shelton are far more interesting inside the ring and out. 

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

At the same time, Lashley feels above it. 

I agree, and I don't like Lashley.

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

That segment with JBL and Lee was weird.

I zoned out and missed it. What was JBL offering Keith Lee?