Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 04/01 - 10/01 Steph Curry is sensational

KawadaSmile

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. So, the answer is Goldberg. Shouldn't surprise anyone, really. There's a sense of irony that the desperate booking of WWE in 2021 is bringing back the only guy WCW managed to get over during the Monday Night Wars. Like, they have reached WCW 99 level of ineptness and they are reaching for the last of the WCW guys.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Wow. So, the answer is Goldberg. Shouldn't surprise anyone, really. There's a sense of irony that the desperate booking of WWE in 2021 is bringing back the only guy WCW managed to get over during the Monday Night Wars. Like, they have reached WCW 99 level of ineptness and they are reaching for the last of the WCW guys.

I mean. I sort of get it. Goldberg is a bigger star than anyone they currently have. It's sad but it's true. 

Considering RAW's topsy-turvy ratings, pairing Goldberg with McIntyre makes sense. Goldberg moves the needle and should help in that area.

Do they have Goldberg beat McIntyre? I could see it. I wonder if they're thinking about a possible unification match with Goldberg-Roman. Don't know what they do with the Rumble match, that's a big question.

But if Rock isn't available until next year, Goldberg-Reigns is the next biggest thing they'd have going. Rumble and WM would also take care of Bill's two annual contracted matches.

Or maybe they actually go with Reigns-Bryan if Bryan wins the Rumble. The match would be worlds better, that's for sure. But they likely don't see it on the level of a Spear vs Spear showdown. 

So that's where WWE is in the 2020's : a 54 years old guy from WCW, a company that died 20 years ago, is the best thing they can come up with for Mania season. I have no idea how people even rationalize this.

Also, no wonder younger guys aren't sure to re-sign. The writing is on the wall.

27 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I want to know why they're already trying to break up the Hurt Business. It's one of the only reasons to watch. 

Teams and stables only exist in WWE to break up it seems. The Hurt Business should be running things for years but WWE can't resist it. 

I think they'll just have Goldberg beat Drew and do a rematch at Mania. They've done fairly well with Roman so far, pairing him with Goldberg would be a first major misstep. It will essentially force him back into a babyface role. Seems like poor Drew might be stuck with the people they're protecting Roman from, like Berg and The Fiend.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

Drew's done so well he deserves better than to have to put over Grampberg in 2021. It's one thing to have him do matches against other old timers or gimmicks like the Fiend, but he shouldn't be facing top guys and winning at this stage.

Absolutely. If he is going to squash somebody at Mania, let him do it to somebody who can "afford" the loss like Baron Corbin. I know there are actually people who dig Corbin and while I don't necessarily see much in him, I will say this - he gets the exact right kind of heat and is the right kind of heel that you can see him get speared, eat a flash pin, and still come out the next night and go back to being the cocky, arrogant jerk that fans will accept can give Big E or Drew a run for their money in a TV match.

I know Vince would never just willfully "go small," but if there was ever a year to punt and put on a show that would build for the future, this would be it. I mean, does Mania really draw that many new subscribers ever year to warrant further more hail marys that haven't stopped any of the hemorrhaging of viewership? When attendance is capped at a third, if not less, of capacity? 

I mean, they've got good things going with Roman and Jey. They've got Big E heating up. At the start of 2020, I was adamant about Drew not being able to "be the guy," but when he hasn't been tripped up by poor booking (why again did he drop the title to Orton?), he's turned me around and I see him as a top guy (or what passes for one in 2021). Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles have quietly been putting in some very good work. Sami Zayn. The Hurt Business. Everytime The New Day seem like they've run out of fire, they find a way to stay relevant (like by giving The Street Profits the best match of their career at TLC). Then you've got the Women's Division - Charlotte's back, Banks and Carmella had a great match at TLC, Bianca Belair is ready for a spotlight, the team of Nia and Baszler was delivering. Asuka and Bayley had pretty solid 2020s too. And this is before we mention Keith Lee or Jeff Hardy or Sheamus or Rey Mysterio or Kevin Owens or even the fucking Fiend and Randy Orton.

If you can't produce a decent WrestleMania with that roster, you deserve to get dunked on by fans and called incompetent.

37 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Vince Russo wasn't wrong about everything.  

No he wasn't, and I wish the fans and "reporters" could separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to his opinions, instead of demonizing and vilifying him wholesale. 

There's definitely a lot to disagree with when it comes to Russo, but I've never understood the mindset of discarding his success entirely because he couldn't sustain it outside the organized (at the time) WWE environment and "machine." The fact is, very few could. 

So it looks like in their neverending thirst to be culturally relevant, WWE had Lacey Evans tweet at Cardi B (who was confused why WWE stans were in her mentions after Torrie wilson name dropped her on Raw) as if they were working a program, which caused Cardi to go off on her. 

Peak 2021 WWE to have the white woman doing the Southern Belle gimmick calling Cardi B a "nasty" without realizing she wouldn't know it's part of her rasslin' gimmick.