Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Major League Wrestling

spaldoni

The first half of Super Clash was well worth the wait! We get a great opening tag match between the Olympians and the Gunslingers. I was rooting for the Olympians too but the Gunslingers winning also makes sense, and both teams looked strong regardless.

Kazmaier vs Cannonball Grizzly is a true hoss fight...and the fans got everything they wanted out of that encounter.

Fujinami is a true professional and made sure that Vader came out of his first match as a new major star for AWA. Vader is going to be on a warpath but Fujinami may not be done with him yet.

Tony St. Clair is going to be a great fit for AWA as well I think. He's definitely someone that Verne Gagne would appreciate!

Gordy vs Kerry was a brutal war and I'm not sure either man will be the same after that experience inside the steel cage. If Kerry still wrestles after that match, he's going to have a lot of new fans behind him I think.

This was extremely well-written. Can't wait for Part 2!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWA

awa2.jpg.25aae2400209e6fcd3602652b57f62eb.jpg

Presents 

clash3.jpg.880d3256e2bcb955c2775619b631cce8.jpg

From the McNichols Arena, Denver Co

denver.jpg.bbfb214d2192dd731017af0c9084f0df.jpg

Live on Pay Per View 

INTERMISSION

Larry Nelson: Fans, welcome back to SuperClash 3. I'm just as shocked as you are at the brutality we just witnessed between Terry Gordy and Kerry Von Erich. I'm sure neither man will ever be the same again. Ok, well, we have a lot more action coming your way, so let's get back to the ring. 

'Diamond' Timothy Flowers vs. Leo Burke 

An unfortunate injury kept Dave Taylor from action tonight. However, word got to the AWA that Leo Burke was available and here we are. 

Flowers is wearing a diamond studded robe as he arrogantly walks to the ring. He stops to admire a chair before entering the ring. 

Leo Burke is coming off an incredible run in PCW and these fans know him and his reputation well, so he gets a pretty good pop. 

The bell rings and Flowers offers a handshake. Before Leo can lift his hand, Flowers kicks him and rakes Burke's eyes. Flowers swings Burke into the turnbuckles and follows with a running back elbow smash. Flowers then goes on an onslaught with kicks, punches, chokes and stomps. Flowers slams Burke down, goes to the middle ropes and crashes down with a stomp to the chest 1..2..Kick Out. Flowers grabs Burke's face and starts to stretch it out. Flowers hurls Burke out of the ring. Flowers argues with the Ref and then starts yelling at the fans. Flowers goes out to the apron. Burke starts to rise. Flowers goes for a double axehandle, but Burke hits him in the stomach. 

Burke hurls Flowers back in the ring. Flowers staggers up as Burke blasts him with a forearm smash. Burke clamps on a headlock and pounds away on Flowers head with several punches. Burke swings Flowers to the ropes and nails him with a flying high knee. Burke hoists Flowers up and vertical suplexes him back. Burke follows with a delayed knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Burke swings Flowers into the corner and follows with several forearm uppercuts. Burke swings Flowers to the opposite corner and charges in but Flowers lifts his knees as Burke crashes into them. 

Flowers regroups and is frustrated. Flowers rolls to the outside and grabs a chair. He brings the chair into the ring. The Ref is yelling and warning him. Flowers tells the Ref to shut up. Burke rises as Flowers is set to hit him. Burke kicks Flowers and forearm blasts the chair into Flowers face! Burke grabs Flowers and hits a jawbreaker 1..2..3! 

The fans cheer as Burke celebrates his AWA debut with them.

Winner of the Match- Leo Burke 

Mr. Olympia and 'The Fabulous One' Steve Keirn vs. 'The Fortunate One' Gary Young and Dream Machine 

Special Ring Enforcer- Ron Lyle 

Former heavyweight boxing contender and Denver's own, Ron Lyle gets a big pop as the announcer rattles off his impressive boxing resume. Ron smiles and waves to the fans as he takes his spot outside the ring. 

Boos as Dream Machine and Gary Young head towards the ring. Young is wearing a shiny silver jacket with 'Fortunate One' written on the back. Dream is wearing a colorful robe with 'I'm Back' written on back. Dream stops in front of Ron Lyle and starts dancing and shadow boxing. He points and warns Lyle to stay out of his face or he'll knock him out. Ron smiles and waves him off. 

Boos turn to cheers as Olympia and Keirn head down the aisle. Both men are wearing red vests and Olympia is wearing a red mask. 

As soon as the bell rings we get a pier six brawl. Keirn and Olympia get the upper hand and clothesline Dream and Young over the top rope. Dream staggers up and sees Ron Lyle. Dream starts yelling at Lyle. Lyle rears his fist and Dream staggers back and falls down. The fans laugh as Young helps Dream up and pulls him back as Dream yells at Lyle. 

The in ring Ref gets some order. Former partners Olympia and Young go at it. Young swings Olympia towards the corner but Olympia reverses it and swings Young hard into the corner. Young staggers out as Olympia back drops him. Olympia drops several consecutive elbow drops on Young. Olympia hops on the middle ropes and crashes down with a fist drop 1..2..Dream breaks it with a stomp. Keirn runs in but Dream hightails it back to his corner. 

Olympia tags in Keirn. They swing Young to the ropes and put him down with a double back elbow smash. Dream is on the apron yelling down at Lyle. Keirn picks up Young and swings him into Dream. The Ref calls it an official tag. Before Dream can react, Keirn grabs Dream by his head and flings him into the ring. Keirn explodes on Dream with fired up punches. Keirn swings Dream into the corner, where Olympia tags him with a big punch. Keirn punches Dream back into the corner. Keirn hops up on the turnbuckles and punches Dream 10 times as the fans count along. Keirn tags in Olympia. Olympia hops on the turnbuckles and punches Dream 10 times as the fans count along. Olympia hops down. Dream stumbles forward and falls on his face. Olympia suplexes Dream 1..2..Young breaks it. Keirn runs in but the Ref guides him back. Young grabs Olympia's arm and kicks Olympia in the face. Young drags Dream to the corner and tags himself in. From the outside, Lyle gives Young a warning. 

Young snapmares Olympia over and follows with a running neck snap. Young hoists Olympia up and hits a delayed suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Young works Olympia over with chokes, stomps and knee drops. Young picks up Olympia and tags in Dream. Young holds Olympia as Dream kicks him in the gut. Dream hits a gut wrench suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Dream chokes Olympia on the bottom rope. Dream grabs the top rope and drops several knees on Olympia. Dream picks up Olympia and pushes him into the corner. Dream points down at Lyle. Dream does some foot shuffling and starts punching Olympia. Dream does some dancing and continues to punch Olympia. Dream slams Olympia, swings off the ropes and hits a jumping elbow drop 1..2..Keirn breaks it. Young charges in but Keirn punches him through the ropes. Keirn goes back to his corner and cheers Olympia on. Dream swings Olympia to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Olympia kicks him, dives over and tags in Keirn! 

The fans cheer as Keirn goes off on Dream with punches. Young runs in but Keirn kicks him, grabs him, grabs Dream and knocks their heads together. Keirn slams Dream and goes to the top rope. Dream staggers up as Keirn nails him with a double axehandle 1..2..Young drops an elbow on Keirn's head. Olympia runs in and punches Young back. While all that is going on, Dream reaches in his mask and pulls out a foreign object. He nails Keirn in the throat with it. Dream rolls over and tags in Young. 

Keirn staggers up, holding his throat as Young clotheslines him down. Young stomps down on Keirn. Dream is yelling at Young to bring Keirn over. Young swings Keirn hard into the corner. Dream grinds the foreign object into Keirn's face as Young kicks away at Keirn. The fans go wild when Ron Lyle yanks Dream from the apron. Young is yelling down at Lyle. Dream starts to point and yell at Lyle. Dream holds up his fists and tells Lyle he's going to knock him out. Lyle gets his fists up. Olympia sneaks up behind Young and levels him. Olympia then rolls out of the ring and is behind Dream. Dream and Lyle square off. Dream starts dancing, then throws a big right hook. Lyle ducks and punches Dream! Dream falls back and into a sleeper from Olympia! 

Inside the ring, Young staggers up and sees what's happening on the outside. Before he can go out there, Keirn hits him from behind, grabs him and hits a reverse DDT 1..2..3! Young is out in the ring and Dream is asleep on the outside. 

After things settle down, Ron Lyle gets in the ring and raises the arms of Keirn and Olympia as the fans cheer. 

Winners of the Match- Mr. Olympia and Steve Keirn 

We see a blank screen. A man pops up and turns around. 

"You're not experiencing technical difficulties so don't change that dial. That's right, the Vin Man is back, yea! Oh and I'm bringing some friends. I'm bringing in the greatest tag team the AWA has ever seen. These guys are young, strong, energetic and smooth. Just wait until you see the Hit Sensations...YEA! 

Crusher Blackwell vs. Kokina 

Kokina looks like a beast as he walks to the ring. He gives the camera a menacing stare and then lets out a monstrous yell. Blackwell gets a great reception and looks focused and ready to go. 

The bell rings and we get a stare down. Kokina lets out a yell and swings but Blackwell blocks it and headbutts Kokina. Kokina is dazed a bit but grabs Blackwell by his hair and headbutts him down. Kokina picks up Blackwell and puts him down with a thrust throat shot. Kokina spreads Blackwell's legs and delivers a diving headbutt to the mid section. Kokina stands up and gives Blackwell and standing leg drop 1..2..Kick Out. Kokina swings Blackwell into the corner and charges in with an avalanche but Blackwell moves and Kokina hits the corner hard. 

The fans rally Blackwell as he regroups. Kokina staggers up as Blackwell runs over and splashes Kokina back into the corner. Blackwell swings Kokina to the ropes and clotheslines him. Kokina is staggering. Blackwell grabs him and clamps on a bearhug, then rams Kokina into the turnbuckles. Blackwell delivers an impressive belly to belly suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Blackwell picks up Kokina and swings him into the opposite corner. Blackwell charges in but Kokina holds on to the top rope and kicks Blackwell in the face. Blackwell staggers back as Kokina puts him down with a running shoulder block. Kokina slowly walks over, picks up Blackwell and slams him down. Kokina swings Blackwell into the corner and follows with a corner splash. Kokina backs up. Blackwell staggers out. Kokina grabs Blackwell, quickly hoists him up and hits the Samoan Drop 1..2..3! 

After a few moments, the fans cheer as Blackwell slowly rises to his feet. He's hurting bad but manages to stand. He looks around with tears in his eyes, then gives them a heartfelt wave. 

Winner of the Match- Kokina 

CHAIN MATCH! 

Carlos Colon vs. 'Mad Dog' Buzz Sawyer 

Sawyer heads into the ring maniacally laughing. On the flip side, if looks could kill, Colon's would. Several officials have to keep Sawyer and Colon apart until the chains are hooked. The officials pull out a 15ft chain and attach it to Sawyer and Colon's wrists. This match will be under pinfall or submission rules. The officials quickly exit as the bell rings.  

Colon and Sawyer pull into each other and start hitting each other with the chain. Colon gets the upper hand as he wraps the chain around his fist and punches away on Sawyer. Colon unravels the chain, backs up and clotheslines Sawyer with the chain 1..2..Kick Out. Colon wraps the chain around his fist and bloodies Sawyer's face with punches. Colon stands up. Sawyer is able to pull the chain up into Colon's groin area. Colon keels over as Sawyer regroups. 

Sawyer wraps the chain around Colon's neck and chokes away. Colon's head bleeds as Sawyer mercilessly punches Colon with the chain. Sawyer picks up Colon and drops him with a chain thrust 1..2..Kick Out. Sawyer stands up and waits. Colon slowly rises. Sawyer pulls the chain, but Colon uses the momentum and runs in with a chain shot to Sawyer's head. 

Colon shakes the cobwebs. Colon starts swinging the chain down and hitting Sawyer's back. Colon picks up Sawyer and hits a back breaker 1..2..Kick Out. Colon picks up Sawyer and body slams him. Colon drags Sawyer to the corner. Colon hops on the middle ropes, wraps the chain around his hand and crashes down with a chained fist drop 1..2..Sawyer gets his foot on the rope. Colon picks up Sawyer, but Sawyer kicks Colon low, bites his forehead and punches Colon with the chain. 

Both men are bleeding profusely. Sawyer picks up Colon and powerslams him over 1..2..Kick Out. Sawyer's pissed and just starts pounding away on Colon with the chain. Sawyer laughs hysterically as he chokes Colon with the chain. The fans are pumping Colon up. Colon slowly starts to rise and drops Sawyer with a hanging neckbreaker. 

Colon and Sawyer slowly rise. Colon yanks Sawyer in and short arm clotheslines him with the chain 1..2..Kick Out. Colon goes to the middle ropes, wraps the chain around his elbow and crashes down with a chained elbow drop 1..2..Sawyer gets his foot on the rope. Colon now goes to the top rope. Sawyer slowly rises and yanks the chain which sends Colon off the top rope. 

Sawyer stomps away on Colon's back. Sawyer drops down, puts his knee on Colons back, wraps the chain around Colon's neck and wrenches back. Colon is spitting up. The fans chant "Carlos" Carlos" Carlos" Colon is shaking his fists as Sawyer keeps wrenching back. Colon is rising up. In an unbelievable moment, Colon gets up and back pedals Sawyer into the turnbuckles! 

The chain is still around Colon's neck. Colon staggers out of the corner. Sawyer tightens the chain around Colon's neck, swings Colon forward and yanks the chain back. The visual is brutal as Colon's head just snaps back. The fans give out a gasp. Colon just falls back and down as Sawyer covers 1..2..3! 

Officials and Medics run into the ring. They unhook the chains and immediately attend to Colon. They quickly put a neckbrace on him. The other Medics are wiping the blood from Sawyer's face. Sawyer looks over at Colon and smiles. 

Winner of the Match- Buzz Sawyer 

Ken Resnick is standing by ringside

Resnick: My goodness fans, I can't believe what just went down between Colon and Sawyer. I'll tell you this, I really hope their war is finally over. We'll hope to give you an update on Carlos Colon's health very soon. Switching gears, my guest at this time promised all of us he would be here tonight at SuperClash. He has not been in an AWA arena since WrestleRock. Please welcome back Greg Gagne. 

Mass boos as Gagne comes out wearing a black suit and tie. He looks around and just shakes his head at the booing fans. 

Resnick: Well Greg, welcome back.

Gagne: Oh that's real sincere Resnerd. You know how much blood sweat and tears I've spilt for the AWA? And this is the reaction I get. I've spent the last 6 months in physical therapy, thanks to that masked moron El Canek. I beat the odds and here I am. And yet, this is the reaction I get? 

Resnick: Well Greg, I think it has a lot to do with the bounty you put on El Canek. I mean you're willing to pay 300,000 dollars to end a man's career. Which, by the way, all the bounty hunters have been unable to collect. 

Gagne: Very funny Resnerd. But see you're an idiot and you're wrong. Let me tell you, these idiotic fans and most of all El Canek something. My mission in 1989 is to put El Canek on the shelf for good. I'm here to announce that I have raised the bounty to 500,000 dollars. Canek will have nowhere to run or hide. Every wrestler in the world will be coming after him. (laughs) 1989 will be the year of the Great Gagne. 

An official walks up and hands Resnick a note. 

Gagne: Hey dope, I'm talking, so get lost. 

The official walks away as Resnick reads the note. 

Resnick: AHHHH Greg, you might want to hear this.

Gagne: Oh jeez, spit it out Resnerd. 

Resnick: UUUMMM, well, this note says that a bounty has been put on you. For the amount of 1 dollar.

Gagne: (cracking up) This is good. Did you set this up Resnerd? A dollar? Really? Come on Resnerd, you could have made it a million. 

The fans get up and cheer as El Canek slowly walks up and stands behind Greg. Canek holds up a dollar bill and tosses it in front of Greg. Greg looks at the dollar, then turns around. Greg's face turns white with a look of shock and horror. Greg tries to run backwards but trips and falls back. Greg is pleading and begging. 

Canek picks Greg up and rams him back first into the steel post. Canek does this 2 more times, then flings Greg like a ragdoll into the ring. Canek gets in the ring and delivers 3 backbreakers to Greg. Canek picks up Greg and slams him hard on the mat. Canek rolls Greg on his stomach. Canek goes to the top rope and crashes down with a flying leg drops. Canek repeats this 2 more times. Canek hooks Greg up and applies the Bow and Arrow. Greg passes out. Canek releases the hold. 

The fans are up and cheering as Canek raises his arms in victory. 

Greg Gagne is stretchered out of the ring. As the Medics are carrying Gagne up the aisle, they stumble and tip the stretcher over. They put Greg back on and stretcher him out. 

AWA Mid-American Title Bout

'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko (C) vs. 'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff  

If Zbyszko gets DQed or Counted Out, he will lose the title 

Tuff Enough by the Fabulous Thunderbirds plays as Orndorff heads down the aisle in his trademark robe. He gets in the ring and raises his fist to the cheering fans. 

My Way by Frank Sinatra plays as Zbyszko arrogantly walks down the aisle with a smug look. He enters the ring, opens up his jacket to Orndorff and shows off his title. Orndorff goes at him but the Ref holds him back. 

The bell rings and Zbyszko quickly exits the ring. The fans boo as Zbyszko circles the ring. He knows he'll lose the title on a countout but likes playing mind games. Zbyszko gets on the apron. He's holding the ropes while arguing with the fans. Orndorff runs over, grabs the ropes and flings Zbyszko back in the ring. 

Orndorff swings Zbyszko to the ropes and punches him in the mid section. As Zbyszko is keeled over, Orndorff nails him with a knee lift. Zbyszko staggers up as Orndorff clamps on a headlock and punches away. Orndorff releases the headlock, Zbyszko is wobbling and throws a haymaker, Orndorff ducks and atomic drops Zbyszko into the turnbuckles. Zbyszko hits hard and staggers into a German Suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Orndorff picks up Zbyszko and hits a gut wrench suplex, then follows with a front face suplex 1..2..Zbyszko gets his shoulder up. Orndorff picks Zbyszko up but Zbyszko mule kicks him and hurls Orndorff out of the ring. 

Zbyszko falls down and regroups. Orndorff staggers up and gets on the apron. Zbyszko rises, walks over, grabs Orndorff and snaps his head on the top rope. Orndorff falls to the outside. Zbyszko goes to the outside, picks up Orndorff and swings him into the steel post. Zbyszko grabs Orndorff and slams his head on the apron, then hurls him back in the ring. Zbyszko grabs the top rope and drops several knees on Orndorff. Zbyszko hoists Orndorff up and vertical suplexes him 1..2..Kick Out. Zbyszko swings Orndorff to the ropes and flips him over with a knee to the gut. Zbyszko picks up Orndorff and hits a gut wrench suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Zbyszko berates the Ref. Zbyszko goes for a suplex but Orndorff blocks it and suplexes Zbyszko. 

Both men are lying side by side. They stagger up. Orndorff kicks Zbyszko and executes a double underhook suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Orndorff swings Zbyszko into the corner and follows with a running shoulder thrust. Orndorff follows with several shoulder thrusts. Orndorff swings Zbyszko into the opposite corner and charges in but Zbyszko moves as Orndorff hits the turnbuckles head on. 

Zbyszko grabs the ropes and slowly gets up. Orndorff crawls out and is laying on the bottom ropes. Zbyszko goes over and drops several knees on Orndorff's back. Zbyszko kicks Orndorff out of the ring. Zbyszko goes out, hoists Orndorff up and crotch drops him on the guardrail. Zbyszko grabs Orndorff by his hair and hurls him into the ring. Zbyszko hits a backbreaker, then goes to the middle ropes and comes down with a forearm drop but Orndorff moves. 

Zbyszko is on his knees. Orndorff slowly gets up and stomps away on Zbyszko. Orndorff swings Zbyszko into the ropes and hits a jumping high knee. Zbyszko twirls around and knocks over the Ref. Orndorff picks Zbyszko up. The Ref staggers up as Zbyszko's foot nails him while Orndorff is spinning Zbyszko around and slams him down. Orndorff sees the Ref is down and looks him over. Zbyszko crawls up and lowblows Orndorff. 

Zbyszko rolls out of the ring and gets his title. He goes back in the ring. Orndorff slowly rises and turns around. Zbyszko takes a swing with his title, Orndorff ducks and punches Zbyszko. The Title falls on the canvas. Orndorff grabs Zbyszko and short arm clotheslines him down. Orndorff hoists Zbyszko up and piledrives his head on the title. The Ref crawls over and counts 1..2..3!!! Mega Pop! 

Orndorff picks up the title and holds it high as the fans stand up and cheer. Orndorff wipes the sweat from his forehead and flings it down on Zbyszko. 

The Winner of the Match and NEW AWA Mid American Champ- Paul Orndorff 

AWA World Tag Team Title Bout 

The Guerreros (C) vs. The Fantastics 

ZZ Tops Sharp Dress Man plays as the Fantastics hit the ring wearing sparkling blue vests and blue bow ties. 

The Guerreros enter the ring wearing their ponchos and sombreros, with the titles around their waists. 

This match was being billed as a dream match and the first 10 minutes prove it. Both teams put on an absolute clinic as they take turns showing off their elite tag team skills. The teamwork is incredible as the fans witness a true stalemate. 

Just pass the 10 minute mark, the Guerreros get some momentum as they put Fulton down with a double back elbow smash. Chavo drops an elbow on Fulton 1..2..Kick Out. Chavo tags in Hector. They double suplex Fulton. Hector swings off the ropes and hits a senton 1..2..Kick Out. Hector swings Fulton to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Fulton leap frogs over, dives over and tags in Rogers.

Rogers and Hector have a nice exchange. Rogers executes a flying headscissors and keeps things clamped with a scissor lock. Rogers reaches up and tags in Fulton. Rogers keeps the scissorlock on Hector as Fulton comes off the middle ropes with a leg drop. Fulton swings Hector to the ropes and dropkicks him down. Fulton follows with a jumping knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Fulton tags in Rogers. Fulton swings Hector to the ropes and punches him in the mid section as Rogers follows with a knee lift 1..2..Kick Out. Rogers swings Hector to the corner but Hector jumps on the turnbuckles and hits a reverse flying press. Hector rolls over and tags in Chavo. 

Chavo works Rogers over, swings him to the ropes and dropkicks him down. Chavo grabs Rogers and hits a belly to back suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Chavo tags in Hector. They swing Rogers to the ropes and double clothesline him down. Hector covers 1..2..Kick Out. Hector tags in Chavo. Hector suplexes Rogers as Chavo swings off the ropes and hits a body splash 1..2..Kick Out. Chavo swings Rogers to the ropes and goes for a dropkick but Rogers holds on to the ropes as Chavo falls to the canvas. Rogers falls over and tags in Fulton. 

Chavo starts to rise but Fulton sunset flips him 1..2..Kick Out. Fulton follows with a quick cradle 1..2..Kick Out. Fulton swings Chavo to the ropes and back drops him. Fulton goes to the middle ropes. Chavo rises as Fulton nails him with a double axehandle. Fulton tags in Rogers. Fulton atomic drops Chavo into a punch by Rogers 1..2..Kick Out. Rogers swings Chavo to the ropes and dropkicks him. Rogers tags in Fulton. They swing Chavo to the ropes and double hip toss him over and follow with stereo elbow drops 1..2..Kick Out. Fulton swings Chavo to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Chavo kicks him, dives over and tags in Hector. 

Fulton rises as Hector swings off the ropes and nails him with a flying forearm blast 1..2..Kick Out. Hector swings Fulton into the corner, charges in and executes a monkey flip. Hector swings off the ropes and hits a jumping knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Hector tags in Chavo. Hector holds Fulton as Chavo comes off the top rope with an elbow to the top of Fulton's head 1..2..Kick Out. Chavo body slams Fulton and tags in Hector. Hector gets in and tags Chavo back in. Hector clamps a full nelson on Fulton. Chavo goes to the top rope. Hector drops back as Chavo nails Fulton with a senton to the chest 1..2..Fulton barley stays alive. The Guerreros get a bit frustrated. Chavo tags Hector back in. Hector swings Fulton to the ropes but Fulton slides under his legs and tags in Rogers. 

Rogers and Hector trade moves and have a good see saw exchange. Rogers gets the upper hand with a hip toss. Hector gets up as Rogers nails him with a superkick 1..2..Kick Out. Rogers tags in Fulton. They swing Hector to the ropes and hit a double dropkick 1..2..Chavo breaks it with a stomp. Rogers and Chavo start arguing. Cooler heads prevail as the Ref calms things down. 

Hector and Fulton start things up again. Hector gets the upper hand and starts rattling Fulton with forearm blasts. Hector swings Fulton to the ropes but misses a clothesline. Fulton swings back and hits a Thesz Press. As Hector falls back, Chavo (from the apron) grabs Fulton's head and snaps it down on the top rope. Hector puts his feet on the ropes and pushes Fulton's legs forward 1..2..3!! Rogers is a second to late. Rogers is tending to Fulton and questioning the Guerreros. The Guerreros shrug their shoulders and point to their titles before walking away. 

Winners of the Match and STILL AWA World Tag Team Champs- The Guerreros 

ResnickThat was a match for the history books. It looked like the Guerreros used some questionable tactics but they are indeed still your world tag team champs. Fans, before we get to our main event. I have a special guest. Please welcome the current AWA Southern Champion Lethal Larry Cameron. 

Cameron walks out wearing a suit and doo rag on his head. The title is on his shoulder. 

Resnick: Larry, I know the CWA is going through some difficulties which is why we couldn't get your title match signed. However, you do in fact hold a recognized AWA title. I've been told that AWA will make a decision regarding the future of your title. 

Cameron: There's nothing to talk about. This here title says I'm an AWA champion and there isn't a damn thing anybody can do about it! I'm here in the AWA to defend this title and crack skulls. If there's anybody out there man enough to take this title, come on and try! 

Cameron holds up the title with pride. 

Resnick: Ok, there you have it. Back to you Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Thank you Ken. Fans, SuperClash 3 has been an event of epic proportions. I want to remind you that our next pay per view event will happen in April as Champagne Slam returns. No doubt about it, we'll be talking about SuperClash 3 for years to come. Next week we'll have a full recap show. But right now, it's time for our main event.  

AWA World Title Bout 

'The Russian Nightmare' Nikita Koloff (C) vs. Jumbo Tsuruta w/Ray Stevens 

It's a main event feel as we get a light show. The spotlight goes to the top of the aisle. Ray Stevens comes out wearing blue jeans and a black Jumbo Tsuruta T-Shirt. He stops and motions behind him. Jumbo walks out wearing a kimono robe. Ray leads Jumbo down the aisle. Jumbo has a stoic look and his eyes are focused. 

Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n Roses blasts as Nikita walks out to a huge ovation. He's wearing a black and red singlet. The title is around his waist as he walks down the aisle with determination on his face. 

The introductions are made. Nikita and Jumbo are looking eye to eye. Stevens is yelling things at Nikita but Nikita is focused on Jumbo. The Ref holds the title high and we're set to go. 

The bell rings. Stevens gives Jumbo some last minute words and exits. Jumbo and Nikita slowly circle each other and lock up. Jumbo rears back and pushes Nikita into the turnbuckles. Nikita shakes it off. They lock up again. This time Nikita rears back and pushes Jumbo into the turnbuckles. It doesn't seem to faze Jumbo that much. They lock up again. Nikita clamps on a headlock and wrenches away. Jumbo lifts Nikita up and executes a back suplex. 

Jumbo grabs Nikita and hits a floating double arm suplex. Jumbo lifts up Nikita and hits a delayed vertical suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Stevens applauds as Jumbo picks up Nikita and body slams him down. Jumbo goes to the top rope and crashes down with a knee drop but Nikita moves. 

Nikita favors his back as he stands up. Jumbo holds his knee and rolls over. He slowly rises but Nikita grabs Jumbo's arm and kicks him in the chest. Nikita executes a gut wrench suplex 1..Kick Out. Nikita swings Jumbo into the corner and works him over with stiff uppercuts and kicks. Nikita swings Jumbo to the ropes, kicks him in the mid section and follows with a snap suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Nikita picks up Jumbo, runs with him and slams his head on the turnbuckle. Nikita gives Jumbo several rabbit punches to the back, then hoists Jumbo up and hits a German Suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Stevens is yelling up at Nikita. Nikita yells back but knows he needs to stay focused. Nikita picks up Jumbo but Jumbo kicks him and drops him with a reverse neckbreaker. 

Jumbo rests against the turnbuckles and regroups. Jumbo swings Nikita to the ropes and executes a swinging sidewalk slam 1..2..Kick Out. Jumbo picks up Nikita and hits an overhead suplex. Jumbo grabs Nikita and hits another overhead suplex. Jumbo gets Nikita and hits a 3rd overhead suplex. Jumbo goes to the top rope and crashes down with a knee drop 1..2..Nikita barely gets his shoulder up. Stevens is yelling at the Ref. Jumbo picks up Nikita and hoists him on the turnbuckles. Jumbo hops on the turnbuckles. Jumbo goes for a superplex but Nikita fights it. Nikita keeps punching away at Jumbo. Nikita rears back and sends Jumbo flying off the turnbuckles. 

Nikita focuses. Jumbo rises as Nikita nails him with a flying shoulder block 1..2..Kick Out. Nikita favors his back and shakes the cobwebs. Jumbo staggers up as Nikita grabs him and hits a fireman's carry slam. Nikita picks up Jumbo and swings him into the corner and follows with a running back elbow smash. Nikita grabs Jumbo and delivers a fallaway slam 1..2..Kick Out. Nikita hops on the middle ropes and crashes down with a forearm drop. Nikita picks up Jumbo and sets him on the turnbuckles. Nikita hops up, gets set and executes a superplex! Nikita covers 1..2..Jumbo survives as Stevens has a meltdown. Nikita goes to the middle ropes. Jumbo slowly staggers up. Nikita lunges off but Jumbo catches him and quickly powerslams him over 1..2..Kick Out. 

Jumbo regroups. Jumbo swings Nikita to the ropes and nails him with a big boot to the face. Jumbo picks up Nikita and delivers a brainbuster 1..2..NO! Nikita gets his shoulder up. Stevens is pissed and jumping up and down. Jumbo hoists Nikita on the turnbuckles. Jumbo hops up, buckles in and this time delivers a superplex! Jumbo covers 1..2..Nikita somehow gets his shoulder up. Stevens is up on the apron yelling at the Ref. Jumbo chops Nikita into the corner. Jumbo gets behind Nikita and on the middle ropes. Nikita starts elbowing Jumbo. Nikita backs up and keeps giving Jumbo elbow shots. Jumbo winds up on Nikita's shoulders. Nikita spins around and electric chair drops Jumbo to the canvas. 

Both men are reeling. Jumbo starts to rise. Nikita starts pounding him with punches. Nikita blasts away, then swings Jumbo to the ropes and hits a belly to belly suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Nikita regroups. Nikita swings Jumbo to the ropes but misses a back elbow smash. Nikita runs forward and swings off the ropes as Jumbo swings back. Jumbo hits his lariat as Nikita hits the Russian Sickle! Both men are down and out, lying side by side. Stevens gets on the apron and is yelling at the Ref. The Ref goes over and they have a heated argument. 

Wait a minute! Here comes Sgt Slaughter! It looks like he has some type of stun gun. Nikita and Jumbo are barely moving. Nikita tries to rise but falls back against the ropes. That's when Slaughter reaches in and zaps Nikita with the stun gun. Nikita is flailing and shaking all over. The Ref finally turns around. Jumbo shakes the cobwebs and slowly rises. Stevens yells "Finish him!" 

Nikita stands up but he doesn't know where he is. Jumbo runs forward and nails him with his lariat! 1..2..3!!!! 

Stevens grabs the world title and runs into the ring. Jumbo slowly rises. Stevens straps the title around Jumbo's waist. Jumbo holds up his fists in victory. The Ref signals help for Nikita. The last image we see is Jumbo walking out of the ring with the world title. 

Winner of the Match and NEW AWA World Champion- Jumbo Tsuruta! 

Finally part 2!

Burke may not have been advertised but he makes a great first impression.

Dream Machine gets to heated at Lyle to focus on his actual opponents.

The Vin Man is back....Yeah!

Kokina proves himself the top monster of the AWA.

I think Buzz may have actually just committed murder on a pay per view.

The one dollar bounty cracked me up as Canek cracked spine.

After a long time in Larry Land, the AWA has a Wonderful new Mid America champion.

Hector & Chavo show they know how to Lie, Cheat and Steal.

Cameron may not have gotten a match but he still cuts a strong promo.

Thanks to Sarge and a freaking stun gun, Jumbo Tsuruta is the new AWA World Heavyweight Champion!

Part II of Super Clash 3 lives up to the hype! Kokina vs Crusher Blackwell and Carlos Colon vs Buzz Sawyer were standout matches, and both were hard-hitting and violent in their own ways. Paul Orndorff is the new AWA Mid-American champion someone finally gets the belt off Larry Z! Paul Orndorff will make a great champion, I think.

Jumbo Tsuruta shocks the world by defeating Nikolai Koloff! But perhaps he should thank Sgt. Slaughter for helping him out with that. Koloff can't be too happy, but Tsuruta is the new champion and it will be hard to get the belt off him. He will be a very formidable opponent for just about anyone.

Great job with Super Clash 3! It was well-written and the details you put into it brought it to life. 

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 1-12-89

ring.jpg.243e52cd28f6e2a12890087b7b23c08d.jpg

Larry Nelson: Hello everybody and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. We hope you enjoyed our SuperClash recap show last week. What an unbelievable and historic event that was. I want to wish everybody a happy new year and we've got a tremendous show to kick off 1989. In our TV title contender's match tonight, the 2 names drawn were Pat Rose and Randy Rose. That's right, the tag team partners and cousins will wrestle for a shot at the TV title next week. Also tonight, The Bruisers and Tom Brandi will face Dream Machine's stable, the Mean Machine and Gary Young. Also in action will be the newly crowned Mid American Champ Paul Orndorff, AWA Southern champ Larry Cameron and we'll also hear from the AWA world tag team champs The Guerreros. Before we get to the action, my guests at this time are Ray Stevens and his client, the new AWA world champion, Jumbo Tsuruta. 

jumbo.jpg.e38382b7b41404e93f709d4286cb5935.jpg

Stevens comes out wearing jeans, a studded belt buckle and a brown suit jacket. Jumbo is decked out in a black suit, with the world title on his shoulder. 

Nelson: Ray Stevens, at SuperClash your client Jumbo Tsuruta defeated Nikita Koloff to become the AWA world champion. However, there was controversy. We all saw Sgt. Slaughter literally electrocute Nikita with a stun gun. 

Stevens: Hold it right there! I told you and everybody out here that Jumbo would win the world title and he did! And what do you do? Instead of congratulating him, you ruin his moment by talking about some kind of controversy. 

Nelson: Ok, I do apologize, congratulations are in order. Jumbo Tsuruta is an incredible wrestler and I do congratulate him. I didn't mean to take anything away from him and the tremendous feat he accomplished. 

Stevens: You're a fast learner Nelson. Don't ever make the mistake again. As for this so called controversy. We have nothing to do with Sgt. Slaughter and his actions. If Nikita is an enemy of Slaughter, that's not our concern. Now, this man right here (points to Jumbo) will be the most dominant world champion in the history of wrestling. We're ready for all challengers and so called contenders. Nobody can stop this human wrecking machine, so get ready for the most historic world title reign ever. The reign of Jumbo Tsuruta has begun. The question is, will the AWA be ready for it. 

Jumbo lifts his title high. 

Commercial Break 

AWA Mid-American Champ 'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff vs. Sam Smith 

orndorff.jpg.4695d6141bd2560e81d7c36b3d57ced3.jpg

Orndorff has the fans up and cheering as he hits the piledriver for the win. The fans cheer louder as Orndorff raises his newly won title up in the air. 

Nelson: Congratulations on your SuperClash Mid American title victory over Larry Zbyszko. 

Orndorff: I have to admit, it felt so good piledriving Zbyszko's fat head on this title, that he's hit me three times with. Zbyszko! I told you I was going to get payback and I did! Zbyszko, if you want another shot, be my guest and that goes for any other wrestler in the AWA! 

Commercial Break 

'The Foreman' Spike Huber vs. Todd Rooney 

huber.jpg.a8d1be29fc6f63c5b6aef9f6c591745b.jpg

Huber makes his return to the AWA. He's in full construction man gimmick as he comes out wearing a construction helmet, flannel shirt and jeans, while also carrying a sledgehammer. He looks crisp in the ring.  He hits an airplane spin and follows with a standing fist drop for the win. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, my guest at this time is a true legend in this sport. Please welcome out Bullet Bob Armstrong. 

The fans cheer as Armstrong walks out in jeans and a collared shirt. 

armstrong.jpg.6181f6b7b3f734afb7f05a1e74e62a02.jpg

Armstrong: Larry, it's great to be here in the AWA. I've had an amazing career and I still have a lot more in the tank. I'm looking to face the best the AWA has to offer. 

There's a stir from the crowd as Austin Idol struts out. 

idol.jpg.29a92f1f4ea889626b09a958d8d997fd.jpg

Nelson: Austin Idol, I wasn't expecting you. 

Idol: Always expect the unexpected from the Universal Heartthrob. I just listened to what old Bobby Boy here was saying and I have to admit it made me chuckle a bit. Look Bobby Boy, you have had a great career but the AWA doesn't need a guy like you around. Let's face it, you're a little past your prime, well, you're a lot passed your prime. The AWA needs somebody cool and fresh, someone with charisma. That defines Austin Idol darling. I'm pumped up and ready to go in the AWA. So, Bobby Boy, why don't you go home and take up a hobby. You know, enjoy the retired life before you get hurt. 

Armstrong: Hang on Idol. Why don't you find out if I'm past it. If you want, we can step in the ring and we both can both find out if I still have it. Heck, I'm willing. What do you say? 

Idol: Whoa, whoa, whoa, just relax Bobby. I was just having some fun. I'll take off. It's all good darling. 

Idol pats Armstrong on the shoulder and leaves. 

Nelson: Well Bob, it appears Austin Idol was...Watch out! 

From behind, Idol hits Armstrong over the head with a trashcan! 

Nelson: Just what the hell are you doing?!?!

Idol: I told you I was pumped up darling! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: I can't believe what Austin Idol just did. He better be ready because he just made an enemy in Bob Armstrong. Joining me now is the Vin Man. You returned at SuperClash and I hear you have yourself a new tag team to debut. 

vin.jpg.b8e1273e6aadc39b3657fe9bf23f5f70.jpg

Vin: Oh Larbo, did you miss me? I sure missed you buddy. I'm back and feeling oh so good, and here's why. Let me introduce you to my brand new tag team. Here is Scott Putski and Derrick Dukes, and they'll be known as, are you ready? Vinergy! That's right. Not energy, not synergy but Vinergy. That name was invented by me. So, get ready for Vinergy...YEA! 

Vinergy (Scott Putski and Derrick Dukes w/The Vin Man vs. Sal Ruby and Gale Gershwin 

putski.jpg.67044e38c0e3ca3225c6eefa28899ee0.jpgdukes.jpg.dbfc7042c030d11dd87fa5c779213ca9.jpg

Vinergy come out wearing bright orange trunks, orange kneepads and even orange wrestling boots. Vinnie is wearing a bright orange Hawaiian style shirt. 

Vinergy are in sync tonight and show good chemistry. Putski puts Ruby down with the Polish Hammer, then tags in Dukes. Putski hoists Ruby up and holds him in a bearhug position as Dukes nails Ruby with a missile dropkick for the win. 

Commercial Break 

Dream Machine, Gary Young and Mike Miller are with Nelson. 

Dream: Boys, I have a lot to say and I know this is bad timing because Rip Oliver has abruptly left the AWA. I have something earth shattering going on and I'll announce everything soon. All I can say is that after my successful return at SuperClash, I knew the ring is where I belong. 

Nelson: Just how hard did Ron Lyle hit you? 

Dream: Shut up Larry! Gary, Mike, I won't leave you hanging and I'll explain everything later on. But right now, you need a partner for tonight and I have found a partner who will team with you. My main man Chicky Starr is back and ready to help. Come on out Chicky. 

Gary and Mike are trying to process all this. Dream hugs Chicky and quickly exits. Mike and Gary follow Chicky into the ring.   

'The Fortunate One' Gary Young, Mean Mike Miller and Chicky Starr

vs.

The Bruisers and 'Thrilling Tom Brandi

young.jpg.510b0180f8cdfff20c4f845d9d006757.jpgmiller.jpg.be499598eee5d897e6c815f24e391aab.jpgchicky.jpg.74e153cb48047617158ccfe29fe9f15d.jpgbusick.jpg.de786178dd6ea45803150bf04ad2153c.jpgbilly.jpg.0c6386f5a8b4fc47568d78e9a72f1fdc.jpgbrandi.jpg.3526a191c511fb062b85699bea7204a9.jpg

We get a fun match. The Bruisers put their strength and power to use as Brandi adds in his high octane offense. It takes Miller, Young and Starr a few minutes to gel, but they eventually start working well together. Miller is relentless with his brutal rule breaking. Young brings in his technical skills and Starr makes sure he shines. All 6 men end up in the ring. During the melee, Starr hits a corkscrew elbow drop on Brandi but Busick grabs Starr and pounds away. Strong and Miller are fighting in the corner. Young picks up Brandi for a bodyslam, but Brandi cradles him 1..2..3!! Big Pop! The babyfaces clean house. The fans cheer as the Bruisers hold up Brandi's arm in victory. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, my guest at this time is (deep breath) Skandor Akbar.

akbar.jpg.5c03af54d1515196d2eb56cf9fdbd94c.jpg

Boos as Akbar comes out. He argues with some fans before walking over to Nelson. 

Nelson: Skandor, you have quite the reputation and I'm sure you have reasons for coming to the AWA. 

Akbar: Very keen observation Larry Nelson. I'm here in the AWA to cause destruction and devastation! Devastation Inc. is in the AWA. I am putting together the strongest faction known to man. Let me give you a glimpse. The first member of Devastation Inc. is the current AWA southern champion, Lethal Larry Cameron! Now just watch what he does in the ring. 

AWA Southern Champ 'Lethal' Larry Cameron w/Skandor Akbar vs. Neil Jordan 

cameron.jpg.9a3062af92b41b9e4224044b78503c0e.jpg

Cameron just destroys his opponent and finishes things off with an over the shoulder back breaker! 

Akbar raises Cameron's arm as Cameron holds up his title with his other arm. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: I fear for the AWA with Devastation Inc. here. My goodness. Ok, joining me now are the AWA world tag team champs, Hector and Chavo Guerrero. 

guererros.jpg.8f482316fccd720ce74e4ecf5df680d7.jpg

There's some boos as the Guerreros come out smiling. 

Nelson: You two retained the world tag titles at SuperClash against the Fantastics. However, your tactics were a little questionable. 

Hector: Wait a minute Larry. Who won the match?

Nelson: Well, you did.

Chavo: And who are the world champions? 

Nelson: Again, you are.

Hector: Then that's all that matters. 

Before Nelson can ask another question, the Guerreros are laughing while they walk away. 

Commercial Break 

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Jimmy Knowls 

slaughter.jpg.d076f834903bc5dfb933097bee15c8e6.jpg

Massive heat for Slaughter but he stays relentless and wins the match with the Cobra Clutch. 

Nelson: Sgt. Slaughter, what you did to Nikita Koloff at SuperClash was inexcusable and unforgivable. Nikita will be out of action for quite some time. 

Slaughter: Listen up you Puke! You and all these maggots out here should be on your hands and knees thanking me. I have rid the AWA of that no good commie. He was doing nothing but making you weak. He made the AWA weak. Now you have a world champion you can be proud of. As for you Nikita Koloff, I told you I was going to eradicate you from wrestling and I did! Mission accomplished. I've checked you off my list and now it's time to eliminate the next victim on my list. This person will find out soon enough what Sgt. Slaughter is capable of. 

The fans start chanting Nikita Nikita Nikita! 

Slaughter: Say his name all you want, but he isn't coming back! He's been dismissed!  

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, as you all know, the AWA travels around the world. I want to wish El Canek good luck on his current tour of Mexico. I'm sure now that he's put an end to all that bounty business, he'll be quite successful. Speaking of that, I hear that Greg Gagne will need to go through another round of physical therapy. Good luck Greg. I also want to say that after Terry Gordy is all healed up from his SuperClash wounds, he'll be touring Japan. What a bloody battle he had with Kerry Von Erich in the cage at SuperClash. Speaking of battles, I want to wish Carlos Colon a speedy recover. Buzz Sawyer literally snapped and broke his neck with the chain at SuperClash. It was one of the most horrifying things I've ever witnessed. Before we...

The fans cheer as Superstar Bill Dundee runs out.

dundee.jpg.0a5cf7cf42e5ca586dd8fd10b275238a.jpg

Nelson: Bill Dundee! This is a surprise! 

Dundee: Hello Larry, I won't take up much time. I'm just so excited, I couldn't control myself. I had to come out here and say that Superstar Bill Dundee is back in the AWA and that's a fact Jack! WHOOOOOO WEEEEEEE Have Mercy! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Before we get to our TV title contender's match, my guest now is the current AWA TV Champion, Brian Adias. 

adias.jpg.5de878275a49dc9249146a1165731d4e.jpg

Adias struts out in a pink tank top and sunglasses, with the title on his shoulder. 

Nelson: Brian, up next Pat and Randy Rose will wrestle for a shot at your title next week. Before we get to that, I have to ask you about SuperClash. It appeared to me and all the fans, that Raquel Welch forgot your name. I thought you two were good friends. 

Adias: Larry, you are a real dummy aren't you? That was a comedy act, you fool. You obviously are clueless about acting. Raquel and I had that planned. We're set to do a comedy movie together and we wanted to try out some comedy at SuperClash. Everybody laughed and so it worked. Now, as for the Rose cousins, I don't care who wins, because neither man is a serious challenger for my title. However, the AWA needs ratings and Brian Adias gives them that, so I'll be here next week to give a ratings boost. I'm gone! 

Nelson: You're not even going to stick around for the match? 

Adias: I'm a busy man. I've got better things to do. 

Winner gets an AWA TV Title shot next week 

Pat Rose vs. Randy Rose

roses.jpg.9b827032abed6398624b6277b39aae5f.jpg

The match starts with a handshake and hug. The first few minutes are even as both men trade moves, takedowns and takeovers. Each man has several pin attempts, but both stay alive. Pat gets control and dropkicks Randy down. Randy staggers up as Pat scoop slams him down. Pat swings off the ropes and goes for an elbow drop but Randy moves. Randy suplexes Pat and follows with a delayed knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Randy swings Pat to the ropes and goes for a clothesline but Pat ducks, swings back and hits a flying press but Randy carries the momentum over and hooks Pat 1..2..3! 

Randy helps Pat up. The two shake hands and Pat raises Randy's arm in victory. The fans cheer the family sportsmanship. 

Larry was trying to muddy up Jumbo's moment but Oliver wasn't having it.

Orndorff asserts himself as Mid America champion.

Solid return for the Foreman.

The Bullet's feel good return is ruined by a also returning Idol.

The AWA just got a burst of Vinergy...good grief. As an aside, DAMN Dukes was jacked.

Dream Machine & Oliver both leave in a hurry and Chicky Starr has to return to have the Mean Machine's backs. What's DM up to?

Akbar and Cameron, together again.

Los Guerreros have truly embraced the family motto.

Sarge already has another target.

The Superstar is back!

I for one totally bought Adias and Welch's comedy act.

Randy wins the clash of cousins to win a TV title shot. 

Really sorry to have fallen behind.  Life is crazy for the next two months.  Love all the hard work leading up to Superclash and it did not disappoint one bit!

Nice win for the Gunslingers.  I must admit that I thought a title change was coming here but looking forward to seeing what is next for the champs.

Nice added match with Grizzly and Kaz!  I think this was a good way to bring in Grizz as it gives him some instant credibility.  Interested to see what you do with him.

Just like in the second match, I think this was an instant way to get Vader into the mix.  He could be big time by now.  

I really enjoyed Black Bart vs Iceman.  This was so well done and just as I pictured these two going at in back in Texas in the early 80's.  I love Iceman as a bigtime midcard fan favorite.

Good booking again with Sarge.  If you want him to be big time, he needed a push.

Not sure I would have watched much of the DJ-Adias match as I might have been focused on Raquel!

Nice use of the big card to introduce some of the newcomers!!

My favorite match of the night was Kerry vs Gordy!!  Man I miss those old events from the Sportatorium!

I guess I keep rooting for my favorites as a youth... enjoyed Keirn and Mr. Olympia

Blackwell and Kokina is a nice addition to the card as it is just so different from everything else.  Hope the ring was re-enforced.

I must admit that I was surprised with Buzz Sawyer getting the win over Colon and this is only because for the last few years I have watched Colon do the unthinkable against the nastiest people in the sport.  Hope to see him back again.

I thin we have discussed this before... how in real life, we were never that excited about Larry Z but having him on my roster and following him here in the AWA, I admit I enjoy him here in Dawn of War.  That being said, this was one of the matches I was really interested in and truly enjoyed.  Looking forward to Orndorff with the belt and seeing what is next for the Living Legend.

If you have the Guerreros and the Fantastics wrestle 10 times, I bet it is 5-5.  Instant classic.  Great job.

Talk about instant classic, the main event did not disappoint.  I love Jumbo as the new champ, especially with all the talk you have been doing as far as the AWA going international.  Just a question for you.  I have had Nikita a few times and while I was always excited to have him, I quickly got tired of him.  I think it was because I had trouble coming up with different things for him.  Did you feel the same?

Awesome show!!!  I will catch up with the rest of what I missed in the AWA before the weekend is over.  Take care buddy!

Not a fan of Austin Idol so here's hoping Bullet Bob shuts him up and sends him into retirement for good. Idol will regret he picked on Bob Armstrong.

Pat Rose was my pick to beat Randy Rose since he wrestled for me in Arkansas but it wasn't to be. Now, he has to take on Brian Adias who I think will dispatch Rose and send him back to the tag team ranks.

Vinnie Valentino with a new team. Wondering why he doesn't wrestle? Having seen him in San Antonio, the barefoot wrestler isn't half bad. Not a big guy but had a good look, was very athletic.

Still working on catching up.  I really enjoyed the show on Jan 12.  I am looking forward to seeing what you have planned for 1989 as it seems a little bit different then what the rest of us have planned.  Jumbo as champ really makes the AWA a world promotion and it will be great seeing you run a few shows in Japan.  

Idol and Armstrong are both past their prime as Idol accused Bob of but this feud can still see tickets!  Smart promoting.

Nikita-Sarge with Sarge as the heel.... Can't wait!

I always thought Akbar ran a great heel stable.  Looking forward to Devastation Inc in the AWA.

Orndorff taking on all comers is going to be great!

Wasn't sure what to expect with the Rose-Rose match.  I thought the handshake was a good way to go.

AWA TV@ The Hammond Center 1-19-89

Larry Nelson: Hello everybody and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. Tonight, you'll see Brian Adias defend his TV title against Randy Rose. Steve Keirn takes on Austin Idol and the winner will get a shot at the AWA Southern title at the next Title Night. In tag team action, the San Juan Saints will face the Olympians. Skandor Akbar will introduce the entire Devastation Inc. And I understand Dream Machine has a bombshell of an announcement for all of us. Ok, let's get to the ring. 

Leo Burke vs. Hal Simpson 

leo.jpg.58f63c753bdcd84a011e3c74e6d9a6f1.jpg

Burke made a surprise appearance at SuperClash and immediately won the fans over with a crowd pleasing win over Timothy Flowers. 

The fans cheer Burke as he hits a bridging back suplex for the win. 

Burke cuts a promo and talks about his success out in the Pacific Northwest and hopes to achieve that kind of success here in the AWA. 

Commercial Break 

The Fantastics vs. Ray Glader and Todd Rooney 

fantastics.jpg.6f85e182fbf652ccdbdec5b7a7ca6f6b.jpg

The Fantastics look a little more aggressive tonight and win the match with the Rocket Launcher. 

Nelson: Tommy Rogers, Bobby Fulton, at SuperClash you and the Guerreros put on a classic. Some say the match was tainted by the Guerreros questionable tactics. It seems the Guerreros have had a recent attitude change. 

Rogers: Yea, we saw them out here laughing about it. We'll see how funny they think it is next time we meet. 

Fulton: That's right. Guerreros, we saw your true colors and if that's how you want to roll, fine with us. We're coming for you and the titles. 

Commercial Break 

The Olympians vs. The San Juan Saints

olympians.jpg.6399ecf899d93201742ed8062c2bd2f7.jpgsjsaints.jpg.30de766a0e7cc11dff6341249dd841d3.jpg

The Saints are pumped up tonight and take it to the Olympians. Both Rheingans and Patera take turns getting pinballed around the ring. The Saints execute a double suplex on Rheingans. Castillo swings off the ropes and hits a jumping elbow drop 1..2..Patera breaks it with a stomp to Castillo's head. Perez runs in and dropkicks Patera into the corner. The Ref guides Perez back. Patera reaches in his tights and pulls out a pair of brass knuckles. Castillo picks up Rheingans but Patera nails Castillo with a brass knuckles shot. Rheingans falls down on top of Castillo as the Ref runs over and counts 1..2..3! Perez is a second too late. 

Patera helps Rheingans up. They go over and offer a handshake to Perez, but Perez is attending to Castillo. Perez pushes the Olympians away. The Olympians shrug their shoulders and wonder why Perez wont accept their handshake. Olympians shake their heads and exit. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Ok, standing with me is the Dream Machine along with Gary Young. Dream, I'm sure the world is waiting for your big announcement, so go ahead. 

Dream: Larry, this is huge! So, everybody listen up. (looks at Gary Young) Gary, you have tremendous talent and it was my privilege to mentor you. You're the Fortunate One for a reason and that's why I've sold your contract to Vinnie Valentino, the Vin Man babay! 

Vin Man walks out smiling. 

Vinnie: I can't thank you enough Dream. (looks at Gary) Dream's right on the money Gary. You're the Fortunate One and I'm fortunate to have you and we're going to make a fortune together. I have Vinergy and now you complete the Vin Man's puzzle. Are you with me Gary? 

Dream pats Gary on the back and nods. 

Young: If my mentor thinks this is a good thing, then so do I. Vin Man, let's do this! 

Vinnie and Gary hug and exit. 

Nelson: Well, that was very touching. 

Dream: Larry, your sarcasm isn't going to ruin my night. As you know, I've decided to get back in the ring full time. Well, I've decided to conquer the tag team ranks. And babay, I've found the greatest partner in the world. I'm talking about Sweet Brown Sugar! 

Sugar struts out wearing his white mask. Him and Dream do some shuffling and dancing. 

Sugar: Dream, this is too good to be true! 

Dream: Larry, you can call us Sweet Dreams! What a name right! Sweet Dreams is here and we're going to rock the AWA babay! 

machine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.pngsugar.jpg.e49aca0e1892898b24407d36a1ac353d.jpg

Commercial Break 

'The World's Strongest Man' Bill Kazmaier vs. Sam Smith 

kazmaier.jpg.af8176345cabe35cab4ad8e407c8838e.jpg

The fans chant "Kaz Kaz Kaz" as Kazmaier displays his awesome strength. Kaz military press slams Smith and follows with a splash for the win. 

WHAM! From behind Kaz is knocked down with a clothesline by Cannonball Griz! Griz picks up Kaz and slams him down hard. Griz grabs the mic, looks down at Kaz and says "There's your world's strongest man" Griz drops the mic on Kaz and exits. 

cannonball.jpg.2c6757c6944d38cd954a77f000697124.jpg

Commercial Break 

Winner gets an AWA Southern Title shot at the next Title Night

'The Fabulous One' Steve Keirn vs. 'The Universal Heartthrob' Austin Idol 

keirn.jpg.87dcd55dc5af63f191f4e1f090dc17f9.jpgidol.jpg.29a92f1f4ea889626b09a958d8d997fd.jpg

These two give the fans a solid back and forth southern style match. Keirn gets control and back drops Idol. Idol staggers up as Keirn scoop slams him down. Keirn picks up Idol and executes a belly to back suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Keirn swings Idol into the corner and charges but Idol moves. Idol regroups and stomps away on Keirn in the corner. Idol grabs Keirn and hits a Russian Leg Sweep 1..2..Keirn gets his foot on the rope. Idol continues to work over Keirn but can't put him away. Idol gets frustrated, grabs Keirn by his hair and goes to throw him over the top rope, but Keirn reverses things and hurls Idol over the top rope. 

Keirn regroups and goes towards the outside but the Ref guides him back. While that is going on, BOB ARMSTRONG runs out and hits Idol over the head with a trashcan! Armstrong takes off to the back. The Ref turns around and starts the 10 count. Idol slowly staggers up but falls back down as the Ref hits 10. 

Winner of the Match by C.O.- Steve Keirn 

Commercial Break 

We see Tony St. Clair wearing a suit and having a drink. He's sitting with a beautiful lady. There's a large window behind them. Outside is a runway with a jet sitting there. A pilot walks up to Tony.

Pilot: Mr. St. Clair, your custom made seats have been installed and your private jet is now ready for takeoff. 

Tony: Splendid, thank you my good man. Excellent job. 

Pilot: Nothing but the best for you Mr. St. Clair. 

Tony turns to the camera and smiles. 

Tina Turner's Simply the Best plays

tony.jpg.c0c376e154153263dacb429e6d3111bb.jpg

Tony 'Simply the Best' St. Clair returns to the AWA 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Welcome back, joining me now is Steve Doll. 

sdoll.jpg.9546a5251ff01c4e4a0a2930b7489d4e.jpg

Doll comes out in full Glam Rock mode. The hair, make up, glitter, colorful bandanas, tassels and singlet. 

Nelson: Steve, I understand your longtime partner Steve Simpson has left the AWA. I have to ask, without the Glamour Boys, what's next for Steve Doll? 

Doll: Gotta say Larry, Simpson leaving stung a bit. I mean we were the greatest tag team in the history of wrestling. Well, instead of crying about it, I've decided I'm going solo. It happens to bands all the time and I promise I'll be even more successful on my own. From now on, I'm Glamour Doll. Now, watch me in the ring Larry and you'll see why Glamour Doll is going straight up the AWA charts. 

Glamour Doll vs. Thomas Winston 

Doll backs up his words and wins the match with a hot shot, or as he calls it, the Glamour Shot. 

Commercial Break 

AWA National Tag Team Champs The Gunslingers vs. Vic Dutro and Willie Lopez 

mantell.jpg.3131e8e478d1fa4b23a1e4e2c8b12664.jpgcasey.jpg.44b02c97f7262e542080d415c447723a.jpg

Gunslingers are on fire tonight and win the match with a double running bulldog. The fans cheer as the Gunslingers hold up their National tag titles. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: With me now is Skandor Akbar along with the AWA southern champ Larry Cameron. Skandor, I understand Devastation Inc. is in full force now. 

akbar.jpg.5c03af54d1515196d2eb56cf9fdbd94c.jpg

Skandor: I told you, I'm here in the AWA to unleash Devastation Inc. I have put together the most brutal force in wrestling. It started last week with this man here, the AWA southern champion, Lethal Larry Cameron. Immediate credibility. Next up is the team that will be wearing tag team gold real soon. Dave Taylor and Johnny Smith, the British Bombers! 

Taylor and Smith come out, shake hands with Cameron and Akbar. They fold their arms and stare into the camera. 

Akbar: Just look at these men. Intimidating is an understatement. Now, as for my final member. You talk about force, this man is it. He's the true and only monster in the AWA. Kokina! 

Kokina walks out and makes Nelson jump with a roar. 

Akbar: I warned you all to be ready and now the time has come. Devastation Inc. is here and the AWA will never be the same! 

kokina.jpg.f9f06b888f30e4c1a37fbeaab73456ba.jpgcameron.jpg.9a3062af92b41b9e4224044b78503c0e.jpgtaylor.jpg.a981a145b2b50a2e73016e2aadfdd056.jpgjsmith.jpg.d3c7d5e336ad9ae16111054d5141de01.jpg

Commercial Break 

AWA TV Title Bout 

'Blockbuster' Brian Adias (C) vs. Randy Rose w/Pat Rose

adias.jpg.5de878275a49dc9249146a1165731d4e.jpgroses.jpg.9b827032abed6398624b6277b39aae5f.jpg

Pat shakes Randy's hand and exits. Adias is yelling at Pat on his way out. The bell rings and Adias keeps yelling at Pat. Randy comes from behind, swings Adias around and unloads with punches. Rose swings Adias to the ropes and flips him over with a knee to the mid section. Rose hoists Adias up and suplexes him back 1..2..Kick Out. Rose swings Adias to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Adias kicks him. 

Adias shakes the cobwebs and goes to work on Rose. Adias dropkicks Rose down and follows with a jumping knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Adias chokes Rose on the bottom rope, swings off the opposite ropes and hits a body guillotine on Rose. Adias pulls Rose out. Adias goes to the top rope. Rose staggers up. Adias goes for a missile dropkick but Rose ducks it as Adias hits the canvas. 

Rose regroups. Rose swings Adias to the ropes and puts him down with a back elbow smash. Rose picks up Adias and slams him down, then follows with a standing fist drop. Rose hoists Adias on top of the turnbuckles. Rose hops up and goes for a superplex but Adias rakes his eyes and punches Rose off the turnbuckles. Adias stays there. Rose staggers up rubbing his eyes. Adias nails him with a missile dropkick. Adias picks up Rose and executes a cradle suplex 1..2..3! Adias retains. 

Adias exits as Pat goes in the ring to help his cousin up. Just as Randy gets to his feet.

WHAM! Randy is hit from behind by Sivi Afi with a Koa War Club. Pat is hit from behind by Chief Joe Lightfoot and his War Club! 

afi.jpg.69cc7f3d688142675d8d42ccf73ac06a.jpglightfoot.jpg.c0cd643c942559527bc277d52a944d79.jpg

The High Chiefs continue to beat down on the Rose's with their War Clubs as the show ends. 

Burke's move to the AWA is really paying off.

The Fantastics are riled up and ready to go.

The Saints are the latest victims of the Olympians sportsmanship.

Vin Man makes a Fortunate acquisition while the AWA is in for some Sweet Dreams.

Kaz gets mauled by a Grizzly.

The Bullet's quest for payback nets Keirn a Southern title shot.

St Clair gets the perfect theme song.

Simpson is out but Glamor Doll is still going strong.

The Gunslingers get a chance to flex.

Devastation Inc is as dangerous as ever.

Adias retains but the post match angle is what everyone will be talking about. Looks like Lightfoot's bad attitude rubbed off on Afi.

The Olympians crack me up sometimes. :lol:

A great match between Brian Adias and Rady Rose gets overshadowed by the arrival of Chief Joe Lightfoot and Sivi Afi. The two working together could really shake things up in the AWA if they play their cards right.

I enjoyed reading the last two shows. AWA is off to a hot start in 1989!

I have always enjoyed you next few shows after one of your big shows.  So many twists and turns and new wrestlers being introduced!

Sweet Dreams was a bit of a surprise but I love it.  I always saw SBS on Georgia Championship Wrestling or Florida and I remember him as a mid-card babyface.  This is going to be fun.

Loved the contract sale of Gary Young... very cool booking!

I also enjoy when babyfaces use heel tactics.  Nice job by Armstrong on Idol!  I think this simple move makes this feud white hot.  Great creativity. 

Sivi Afi and Lightfoot.... 

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 1-26-89

Larry Nelson: Hello everybody and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. Tonight, you will see Skandor Akbar's team the British Bombers take on the Bruisers. Tom Brandi versus Gary Young. And Chicky Starr goes one on one with Bob Armstrong. All that and a lot more. But first I would like to bring out the AWA C.O.O. Gerry Morrow who has some big announcements to make. 

Brenda Britton walks out with Gerry Morrow. 

Britton: (gives Nelson a dirty look) Are you still here Larry? Time to go. 

Nelson shakes his head and exits. 

Britton: Ok Gerry, I know you have some big news regarding the next Title Night, so go right ahead. 

Morrow: Ahhhhh Brenda, I do indeed. De next Title Night will take place on Saturday February 17th from de Mecca in Milwaukee. Before we get to de lineup, I would like to invite Iceman Parsons out here. 

We are Family blasts over the speakers as Parsons comes out. 

iceman.jpg.94656e23827fc08a5d31075e31b69a07.jpg

Morrow: Ahhhh de Iceman cometh. Mr. Parsons, I know we have a bit of history regarding dat TV title situation. So, I want to make a bit of amends with you. I was so impressed with you at SuperClash. I mean winning de match with a block of ice was splendid. Because of your impressive showing and impressive record, you have in de AWA, I have decided to grant you an AWA world title shot at Title Night. How does dat sound? 

Parsons: (looks around at the cheering fans) That sounds pretty damn great to me! The Iceman is feeling good and ready to go. I'm going to Title Night and I'll be ready to take the world title. And that's a fact Jack! 

Parsons heads to the back smiling, dancing and slapping hands with the fans. 

BrittonGerry, that was so nice. You just made his day. Ok, I know you have more.

Morrow: Yes I do Brenda. Also at Title Night, de Guerreros will defend de world tag team titles against de Fantastics. Paul Orndorff will defend de Mid America title against Buzz Sawyer. De Gunslingers will defend de National tag titles against de Olympians. Larry Cameron will defend de Southern title against Steve Keirn. And next week 2 names will be drawn and will have a match for a TV title shot against Brian Adias. 

Boos as Larry Zbyszko walks out. 

1484051026_larryz.jpg.191b83bb9ed53893bacae554b010d3fc.jpg

Zbyszko: Gerry, with all due respect, I think I should get a rematch with Mr. Spudhead Paul Orndorff at Title Night. 

Morrow: Ahhhhh Larry, I'm glad you came out. You were a tremendous champion and that's why I've decided that at Title Night, you will wrestle El Canek in a number one contender's match for de world title. You deserve dis Larry. 

Zbyszko shakes Morrow's hand. 

Zbyszko: I can live with that. After all, the world title is the only title that's eluded me in my illustrious career. I'll be one step closer after that masked spudhead El Canek takes a trip to Larry Land. 

Morrow: Ahhhh dat's de spirit Larry. 

Britton: Once again Gerry, you've outdone yourself. I can't wait for Title Night. Until next time tooooodles. 

Commercial Break 

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Ray Glader 

Slaughter gets massive heat and wins the match with the cobra clutch. 

Nelson: Sgt. Slaughter, you might be in hot water, because I hear Nikita Koloff is healing well and is back in the gym. 

Slaughter: Listen up Puke! Nikita Koloff has been dismissed. That dirty commie is such a disgrace that I heard his own country doesn't want him back. And guess what, America doesn't want him either! 

Commercial Break 

'Superstar' Bill Dundee vs. Todd Rooney 

dundee.jpg.0a5cf7cf42e5ca586dd8fd10b275238a.jpg

Dundee is fired up tonight and wins the match with the Bombs Away! 

Nelson: Superstar, welcome back to the AWA.

Dundee: Larry Nelson, I'm so pumped up and excited to be back in the AWA brother. The superstar is on the hunt for some gold, so I'm putting all the champions on notice. OOOOOOOHHHHHH WEEEEEEEEE! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, you're about to see the debut of a new team in the AWA. Two of Japan's best, Tatsumi Fujinami and George Takano, known as the Dragon Kings. This should be good. 

The Dragon Kings vs. Vic Dutro and Willie Lopez

tatsumi.jpg.1e1834386b7e892b94d52b8d478288cd.jpgtakano.jpg.0b3853414d8895f84046f40ab9501f30.jpg

Fujinami is wearing black trunks with a yellow dragon on the back. Takano is wearing black wrestling pants with yellow dragons wrapped around both legs. 

The Dragon Kings impress tonight. Takano hits a snap suplex and tags in Fujinami. Fujinami finishes things off with a dragon suplex for the win. 

Commercial Break 

Footage is shown from a couple weeks ago when Tom Brandi scored a pin on Gary Young in a 6 man tag match.

'Thrilling' Tom Brandi vs. 'The Fortunate One' Gary Young w/The Vin Man 

brandi.jpg.3526a191c511fb062b85699bea7204a9.jpgyoung.jpg.510b0180f8cdfff20c4f845d9d006757.jpg

The opening minutes is all Brandi as he pinballs Young all over the place with hip tosses, arm drags, dropkicks and scoop slams. Young stops things with an eye rake and takes control. Young works Brandi over with punches, knee drops, choking and slams. 

Young goes for a back drop but Brandi kicks him. Young staggers as Brandi clotheslines him down. Brandi slams Young down, then hoists him on the turnbuckles. Brandi hops up and goes for a superplex but Vinnie reaches in and trips Brandi as Young falls on top. Vinnie holds Brandi's foot as the Ref counts 1..2..3! BOOOOOOO

Vinnie pulls Young out of the ring and they celebrate like they won the SuperBowl. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, I've been told we have a match scheduled but I have yet to find out who Neil Jordan's opponent is. Let's go to the ring and... Oh wait just a minute! That's the Missing Link! 

The Missing Link vs. Neil Jordan

link.jpg.4a6b1b56ba1cedf2f1c1ac21e1b5ef96.jpg

Link pounds away on Jordan and easily finishes him off with a diving headbutt from the middle ropes. 

Nelson tries to get a word with Link, but Link grabs the back of his own head, walks around then heads to the back. 

Commercial Break 

'Mean' Mike Miller vs. Trent Watkins 

miller.jpg.be499598eee5d897e6c815f24e391aab.jpg

Miller's flying solo now and it looks like he has an even meaner streak. Miller wins the match with a shoulder breaker. After the match, Miller hurls Watkins to the outside. Miller goes out and slams Watkins shoulder first into the steel post. 

Commercial Break 

The Bruisers vs. The British Bombers w/Skandor Akbar

busick.jpg.de786178dd6ea45803150bf04ad2153c.jpgbilly.jpg.0c6386f5a8b4fc47568d78e9a72f1fdc.jpgjsmith.jpg.d3c7d5e336ad9ae16111054d5141de01.jpgtaylor.jpg.4082641d2168def937213c14569e8917.jpg

These teams give the fans a hard hitting, see saw fight. Both teams display power moves, blunt force and solid teamwork. Just when the Bruisers get momentum going, Kokina hits the ring and attacks Busick. Strong charges in but the Bombers double team him. Kokina slams Busick down, but before he can hit a big splash, a big man hits the ring. Kokina and the big man are eye to eye. The Bombers stand by Kokina. The big man is ready to fight all 3 of them. The Bruisers shake the cobwebs and attack the Bombers. The Bruisers and Bombers fight to the outside. 

Kokina and the big man are ready to fight, but Akbar runs in and backs Kokina up and tells him "now's not the time"

The big man keeps challenging Kokina as the fans cheer. 

morris.jpg.02fd78c885506b3320a3e6dfb35ed924.jpg

Commercial Break 

'Mad Dog' Buzz Sawyer vs. Harold Bannister 

sawyer.jpg.570fc1e666d2b194f831c74434bf35eb.jpg

Sawyer mauls his opponent and wins the match with his powerslam! 

Nelson: Buzz Sawyer, at Title Night you get a shot at Paul Orndorff and the Mid American title. 

Sawyer: (laughs maniacally) After having so much fun with Carlos (stops laughing) it's time to get serious. Orndorff! You're a dead man and your title is mine! 

Commercial Break 

Footage from last week is shown as the High Chiefs viciously attacked the Rose Cousins with their war clubs. 

The High Chiefs vs. Sam Smith and Gregory Jones 

lightfoot.jpg.c0cd643c942559527bc277d52a944d79.jpgafi.jpg.69cc7f3d688142675d8d42ccf73ac06a.jpg

The Chiefs destroy their opponents and win the match with a double rib breaker. 

Nelson: Just why did you attack the Rose Cousins last week? I found it totally uncalled for and frankly very sickening! 

Lightfoot: Well then we got our message across, didn't we? The High Chiefs wanted to make sure everybody knows we're here. The Rose's were in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Before Nelson can get another word in, he's ran off by Sivi Afi swinging his war club. 

Commercial Break 

'Bullet' Bob Armstrong vs. Chicky Starr 

armstrong.jpg.6181f6b7b3f734afb7f05a1e74e62a02.jpgchicky.jpg.74e153cb48047617158ccfe29fe9f15d.jpg

Starr attacks Armstrong at the bell and works him over. Starr hits a vertical suplex and backs up. Armstrong staggers up as Starr nails him with a running kneelift 1..2..Kick Out. Starr swings Armstrong into the corner and charges in but Armstrong lifts his boots and nails Chicky. Armstrong regroups. 

Armstrong swings Chicky to the ropes and clotheslines him down. Armstrong swings off the ropes and hits a knee drop. Armstrong picks up Chicky and hits a Jawbreaker 1..2..WHAM! 

Austin Idol is all over Armstrong with punches! The Ref signals for the DQ. 

Idol hoists Armstrong up and hits a shin breaker. Idol clamps on the Las Vegas Leglock and wrenches away. Several officials run in but Idol keeps wrenching away as the show ends. 

Morrow lays out a meaty card for the next Title Night. Appreciate him making it up to Iceman and Larry Z taking on Canek should be fun.

Sarge might want to watch what he says about Nikita.

Dundee has been fired up since returning to the AWA.

The Dragon Kings make a strong first impression.

Vin Man proves he can be helpful to Young.

Love Link just kinda showing up.

Miller is plenty Mean on his own.

Hillbilly Jim is quite the calvary against Devastation Inc.

Sawyer is dead serious about becoming a champion.

The High Chiefs got the attention they were looking for.

Idol interrupts the main event to take a shot at Armstrong.

SuperClash was an absolutely tremendous show and it's cool to see the effects continue to ripple out. I'm really digging the solid push for Tom Brandi. Buzz Sawyer looks like an absolute beast coming off his brutal fight with Carlos Colon, really credible opponent for Mr Wonderful!

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 2-2-89

The show opens with a close up of the pink neon 'Beauty Shop' sign. Then the camera pans down to Brenda Britton. 

Britton: Hi everybody and welcome to a very very very special Beauty Shop. As I've told you a million times before, everything happens on the Beauty Shop, and I can tell you right now that the biggest announcement in wrestling history is going to happen right here and right now. Please welcome out the owner of the AWA Verne Gagne, the AWA C.O.O. Gerry Morrow and interviewer Ken Resnick. 

Verne, Gerry and Ken walk out wearing suits. 

Britton: When the owner of the AWA makes a televised appearance, we know this is going to be big. Go ahead Mr. Gagne, we're all dying to hear this blockbuster announcement. 

Verne: Thank you, Brenda. First off, I want to thank all of our great fans and their overwhelming support. The AWA is stronger than ever and we're expecting 1989 to be our biggest year yet. As you know on February 17th from the Mecca in Milwaukee, our next Title Night will take place. It will be a special televised event, shown on Sports Channel America. That's right, the AWA will now be seen on Sports Channel America, starting on February 17th. 

Britton: Wow! You weren't kidding. That's big news! 

Verne: Yes, it is, and the AWA is very excited to be working with Sports Channel America, where our product will be shown all across the nation. 

Britton: Outstanding! 

Verne: Brenda, that's only the beginning. The AWA recently acquired the biggest name in wrestling and he will appear at Title Night. 

Britton: Oh my goodness! Could it be? Is it? 

Verne: Coming to the AWA and appearing at Title Night will be the one and only, immortal HULK HOGAN! 

The crowd goes absolutely nuts!!!! 

Britton: No way! No way! Gerry! Gerry! Is this really happening? 

Morrow: AHHHHHHH Brenda, it is de truth and it will happen. Hulk Hogan is coming to the AWA! 

Britton: I can't believe it! 

The fans are still roaring. 

Verne: I can't believe it myself, but it is a reality. Hulk Hogan will appear for an interview at Title Night and Ken Resnick will be conducting that interview. 

Resnick: Verne, on behalf of the AWA, all our great fans and myself, thank you. February 17th will be a historic and groundbreaking night for the AWA. 

Verne: I couldn't agree more. I'm beyond excited and judging by this reaction, I know our fans are too. 

Britton: This was the greatest Beauty Shop ever! Hulk Hogan is coming to the AWA and you heard it here first. Toooooodles! 

Commercial Break 

'The Fabulous One' Steve Keirn vs. George Kramer 

keirn.jpg.87dcd55dc5af63f191f4e1f090dc17f9.jpg

Keirn dominates and wins the match with a reverse DDT. 

Keirn cuts a promo about his upcoming AWA Southern Title shot at Title Night. He says Larry Cameron better be prepared, because Keirn's been on a fabulous roll in the AWA and he's going to carry that momentum to a championship win at Title Night. 

Commercial Break 

Glamour Doll vs. 'The Foreman' Spike Huber 

sdoll.jpg.9546a5251ff01c4e4a0a2930b7489d4e.jpghuber.jpg.a8d1be29fc6f63c5b6aef9f6c591745b.jpg

Talk about two opposites. Doll is in full 80s glam rock mode, while Huber represents the blue collar working man. 

The match goes back and forth. Doll breaks the rules but works Huber over with some impressive high flying moves. Huber comes back and almost pins Doll after an airplane spin. Doll comes back after an eye rake and gets more aggressive with chokes, stomps and kicks. Huber comes back after Doll misses a flying dropkick. Huber goes on a flurry with scoop slams, knee drops and elbow drops. Huber nails Doll with a clothesline but the bell rings, signaling a 10 minute draw. 

Doll is still down and Huber is disappointed. 

Commercial Break 

Larry Nelson recaps the Hulk Hogan announcement and that gets another huge pop from the fans. 

El Canek vs. Todd Rooney 

canek.jpg.b144562d8ceffccc2c1b875970131df6.jpg

Canek is back from a successful tour of Mexico and is now tuning up for his number one contender's match with Larry Zbyszko at Title Night. 

Canek hits a backbreaker on his opponent and follows with the Bow and Arrow for the submission win. 

Commercial Break 

'Big' Jim Morris vs. Trent Watkins 

morris.jpg.02fd78c885506b3320a3e6dfb35ed924.jpg

Jim Croce's 'You don't mess around with Jim' blasts over the speakers as Morris enters the ring. 

After what happened last week, the fans already like Morris. Morris dominates the match with power moves and finishes things off with a bear hug. 

Nelson: Big Jim Morris, welcome to the AWA. We all saw you last week when you and Kokina had an intense stand off. 

Morris: Thank you very much Larry. It's great to be in the AWA. You know last week I was in the back and saw Skandor Akbar and his goons play the numbers game on the Bruisers. Kokina! Listen up real good boy. If you're looking for a man to fight, well here I am. But remember what the song says, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old lone ranger, and you don't mess around with Jim! 

Commercial Break 

The San Juan Saints vs. Vinergy w/ The Vin Man 

sjsaints.jpg.30de766a0e7cc11dff6341249dd841d3.jpgdukes.jpg.dbfc7042c030d11dd87fa5c779213ca9.jpgputski.jpg.67044e38c0e3ca3225c6eefa28899ee0.jpg

See saw match as both teams show off impressive teamwork and chemistry. Vinnie gets in his interference and really frustrates the Saints. Vinergy control a segment with some hard hitting power moves. Saints come back and almost pin Putski after a double suplex but Dukes breaks it. A pier six brawl ensues. Vinnie gets on the top rope ready to interfere again, but TOM BRANDI storms out, hops on the apron and pushes Vinnie off. GARY YOUNG runs out but Brandi hops off the apron and they have a furious fist exchange. 

The Saints and Vinergy keep fighting and the Ref has no choice but to call for a Double DQ. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson once again plugs Hulk Hogan's appearance at Title Night which gets another thundering roar from the crowd. 

Cannonball Griz vs. Ray Glader 

cannonball.jpg.2c6757c6944d38cd954a77f000697124.jpg

Griz demolishes his opponent and wins the match with a big splash from the middle ropes. 

Griz cuts a promo on Bill Kazmaier and says if he's stupid enough to want another beating, come and get it! 

Commercial Break 

AWA Mid America Champ 'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff vs. Sam Smith 

orndorff.jpg.4695d6141bd2560e81d7c36b3d57ced3.jpg

The fans cheer as Orndorff puts his opponent down with the piledriver to get the win. 

WHAM! From behind Orndorff is clotheslined down by BUZZ SAWYER! Sawyer swings Orndorff to the ropes and powerslams him over! 

Sawyer crawls over to the camera and says "I told you we were going to get serious Orndorff" Sawyer then starts laughing. 

sawyer.jpg.570fc1e666d2b194f831c74434bf35eb.jpg

Commercial Break 

We see horses running by. Dory Funk Jr. walks up to the camera as the sun sets behind him. He takes off his cowboy hat and looks into the camera. 

Dory: This old dog might have some miles but believe me, this old dog still has some fight left. 

DORY FUNK JR. IS COMING TO THE AWA

dory.jpg.ab92c7b36af56bb6864994c8439c0dd1.jpg

Back Live 

Sweet Dreams (Dream Machine and Sweet Brown Sugar) vs. The Wilson Twins 

machine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.pngsugar.jpg.e49aca0e1892898b24407d36a1ac353d.jpg

Dream and Sugar do a lot of dancing and strutting but do get down to business. They finish things off with a double front face suplex. 

Nelson: Ok, Sweet Dreams is off to a good start. 

Sugar: That we are! We've got the moves, we've got the look and we're going to get some gold daddy! 

Dream: Nelson, I've been born again babay! I mean you just saw us. Are we amazing or what? Like Sugar said, we've got it all and babay aint nothing gonna stop us! 

Commercial Break 

Tommy Rogers w/Bobby Fulton vs. AWA World Tag Champ Hector Guerrero w/Chavo Guerrero 

These teams will meet in a rematch at Title Night, so we get a little preview with a one on one match. 

This match is full of chaos. Tommy and Hector have a fast paced match while on the outside Chavo and Bobby get into it a couple times. All four men almost have a brawl but luckily the Ref got control. After a few more minutes, the Ref goes down after Hector swung Rogers into him. On the outside Chavo dropkicks Fulton from behind. Inside the ring, Rogers cradles Hector but the Ref is still groggy. Chavo runs in the ring and reverses the cradle. As Chavo tries to help the Ref up, Fulton runs in the ring and dropkicks Chavo through the ropes. Fulton re reverses the cradle and pulls the Ref over. The Ref counts 1..2..3! Big Pop! 

The Fantastics exit and motion their arms around their waists, saying they've got the Guerreros number and will get the titles. 

Commercial Break 

Winner gets an AWA TV title shot at Title Night 

Leo Burke vs. 'Mean' Mike Miller 

leo.jpg.58f63c753bdcd84a011e3c74e6d9a6f1.jpgmiller.jpg.be499598eee5d897e6c815f24e391aab.jpg

Miller attacks at the bell and is relentless. Miller slams Burke and follows with angry stomps and kicks. Miller picks up Burke and throat drops him on the top rope 1..2..Kick Out. Miller chokes away on Burke. Miller picks up Burke by his throat and choke slams him down 1..2..Burke gets his foot on the rope. A frustrated Miller hurls Burke out of the ring and argues with the Ref. Miller goes outside on the apron. Burke staggers up as Miller goes for a double axehandle but Burke hits Miller in the stomach and flips him over. Burke fires up and hurls Miller into the ring. Burke swings Miller into the corner and follows with a running forearm blast. Burke follows with several forearm uppercuts. Burke swings Miller to the ropes and nails him with a flying high knee 1..2..Kick Out. Burke swings Miller into the corner and charges in but Miller moves. Burke hits hard and falls back and down. Miller is resting against the ropes. 

Both men stagger up. Miller rakes Burkes eyes and slams his head on the turnbuckle, then follows with a back suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Miller swings Burke into the corner and charges in, but Burke moves. Miller hits hard and stumbles back as Burke rolls him over 1..2..3!! Big Pop! 

Burke slides out of the ring and celebrates while Miller is pissed and threatening the Ref. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, what a program this has been. Hulk Hogan is coming to the AWA and will be at Title Night. I still can't believe it. Speaking of Title Night. My guests this time are Ray Stevens and the AWA world champion Jumbo Tsuruta. 

jumbo.jpg.e38382b7b41404e93f709d4286cb5935.jpg

Stevens is wearing jeans and a brown suit jacket while Jumbo is wearing a black suit with the title on his shoulder. 

Nelson: First off, congratulations on Jumbo successfully defending the AWA world title in Japan. Up next is Iceman Parsons at Title Night. Iceman has racked up a lot of impressive wins and Gerry Morrow took notice. 

Stevens: I don't care how many wins Iceman has racked up. It doesn't mean a thing when he steps into the ring with the human wrecking machine and bone crushing Jumbo Tsuruta. Jumbo Tsuruta is the most devastating and dominating world champion the AWA has ever seen. Jumbo is going to destroy and annihilate Iceman Parsons at Title Night. Now, speaking of Title Night. All night long I've been hearing about Hulk Hogan coming to the AWA and will be at Title Night. Larry Nelson, you make me sick. You're nothing but a kiss up. Let me tell you and everybody else something. Hulk Hogan will not overshadow Jumbo Tsuruta's performance at Title Night. Hulk Hogan is nothing but a cartoon, a goof and an embarrassment to this sport. Jumbo Tsuruta is the exact opposite and that's why he's the world champion and Hulk Hogan is begging for a job. So, forget about that muscled up beach bum and start showing respect for your AWA world champion Jumbo Tsuruta!  

Jumbo holds up his world title as the show ends. 

After those announcements, Feb 17, 1989 may be the biggest night in AWA history!

Keirn is looking strong ahead of his challenge of "Lethal" Larry.

GD and Huber push each other to the limit.

Canek is ready for his trip to Larry Land.

Big Jim puts Kokina on notice.

I love it when a tag match turn into a riot.

Grizz ain't sweating Kaz.

Sawyer shows Orndorff how serious he can be.

Hoss is on his way.

Sweet Dreams is off to a solid start.

Things get crazy in route to a Rogers win.

Burke gets a shot at the Blockbuster.

Stevens reminds everyone that Hogan or no, Jumbo is the MAN in the AWA.

Loved the video for Dory, here's hoping he'll make a big impact! A singles outing is a great way to tease the tag title match, really fun finish as well! Cool main event, solid performance from Leo Burke, and Ray Stevens has a nice promo to end the show. Jumbo Tsuruta vs Hulk Hogan is money!

Really liking all the new stars and angles in the AWA.  To me, Gerry Morrow and that accent add so much to the show.  He seems to be an awesome leader as sometimes the babyfaces get what they want (Iceman) and others it is the heels that get what they want (Larry Z)

AWA with Hogan... can't wait.  I never liked Hogan in the WWF in real life as it just seemed so predictable.  Can't wait for this wild ride.  

Also, really looking forward to title night!

Title Night is shaping up to be quite an event. Ray Stevens made sure to put over Tsuruta quite strongly as the formidable threat he is. Dory Funk Jr and AWA seems like a natural fit and I think Dory will have a lot of interesting matches on his plate with the current roster.

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 2-9-89

Larry Nelson: Hello everyone and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. As you all know, we're only one week away from Title Night. That event will take place at the Mecca in Milwaukee. And as we heard last week, it will be televised on Sports Channel America. All the AWA titles will be defended as well as a number one world title contender's match. As if all that wasn't enough, the Immortal Hulk Hogan returns to the AWA and will be interviewed by our own Ken Resnick. What a historic night that will be. As for tonight's program, you will see a tag team grudge match between the High Chiefs and Rose Cousins. And in the main event, AWA Mid American Champ Paul Orndorff teams with the Fantastics to take on Buzz Sawyer and the AWA World Tag Champs, the Guerreros. All that and a lot more, so let's get to the ring. 

Iceman Parsons vs. Neil Jordan 

iceman.jpg.94656e23827fc08a5d31075e31b69a07.jpg

Parsons dances down the aisle as 'We are Family' blasts over the speakers. Parsons excites the fans throughout the match and then hits the Hip Attack for the win. 

Nelson: Iceman, next week at Title Night, you have the opportunity of a lifetime when you meet Jumbo Tsuruta for the AWA world title. I'm sure you heard the comments from Ray Stevens last week. 

Parsons: Oh yea, I heard the comments and let me tell you something Ray Stevens. I'm no pushover daddy. I can wrestle and I can get down and fight. And believe me, I'm going to Title Night with only one thing in mind. To win the AWA world title and that's a fact Jack! 

Commercial Break 

AWA TV Champ 'Blockbuster' Brian Adias vs. Carl Kelleman

adias.jpg.5de878275a49dc9249146a1165731d4e.jpg 

Adias is full of arrogance and finishes things off with a cradle suplex for the easy win. 

Nelson: I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say how lucky we are to witness our TV champion in a match here on TV. 

Adias: You know something Larry. Smart I like, smart ass I don't. So, watch your mouth! The reason I took a break from my grueling Hollywood schedule is because I got a call from the AWA saying they needed a desperate boost in ratings. Well, here I am to save the day. On a related note, Title Night is going to be shown on Sports Channel America. Well, they wanted to make sure the AWA produces record breaking numbers. In order to do that, Blockbuster Brian Adias needs to be there. I'll be there alright and the world will get to see a flawless performance. Leo Burke will be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That flop doesn't stand a chance. Speaking of flops. I understand Hulk Hogan will be there. Hogan! I'm the headliner in the AWA and you better know your place. 

Adias puts on his sunglasses and walks away. Nelson just rolls his eyes. 

Commercial Break 

Footage is shown from a few weeks ago when the High Chiefs attacked the Rose Cousins with War Clubs. 

The Rose Cousins vs. The High Chiefs

roses.jpg.9b827032abed6398624b6277b39aae5f.jpglightfoot.jpg.c0cd643c942559527bc277d52a944d79.jpgafi.jpg.69cc7f3d688142675d8d42ccf73ac06a.jpg

Before the bell rings, the Rose Cousins attack the High Chiefs on the outside. Both teams brawl around the ring and into the crowd. The match is declared a no contest but the fight goes on for a few more minutes. Several officials try to break it up but the fight keeps going. Prelim wrestlers run out and the scene gets more chaotic. 

Commercial Break

Highlights are shown of Terry Gordy on his Japan tour. 

Nelson: My goodness, things are finally under control. Looks like the war has just begun between the High Chiefs and Rose Cousins. Fans, Title Night is going to be an epic night for the AWA. All titles on the line and Hulk Hogan will be there. I can't wait to hear what he has to say. The buzz is in the air and I can feel the excitement. Speaking of excitement. This weekend at the Met Center, the AWA has a huge card coming. Lots of big matches signed including Bob Armstrong vs. Austin Idol. You wont want to miss that one. Ok, I've been told a match is set to take place, but it wasn't on my schedule here. I guess we're going to the ring. 

The Missing Link vs. George Jackson 

link.jpg.4a6b1b56ba1cedf2f1c1ac21e1b5ef96.jpg

Link walks all around the ring holding the back of his head. He gets in the ring and hammers his opponent, then finishes him off with a diving headbutt from the middle ropes. 

Commercial Break 

AWA National Tag Team Champs The Gunslingers vs. Sam Smith and Roy Glader 

mantell.jpg.850b196b9fe48ecf85d7a0f9efae3239.jpgcasey.jpg.44b02c97f7262e542080d415c447723a.jpg

Gunslingers are on their A game and win the match with a double running bulldog. 

Nelson: Ok, at Title Night, you two will defend the National tag titles against the Olympians. This is a rematch from SuperClash 3. 

Boos as the Olympians stroll out. 

olympians.jpg.6399ecf899d93201742ed8062c2bd2f7.jpg

Nelson: Wait a minute, I don't want any trouble out here. 

Rheingans: Trouble? Come on Larry, we're Olympian athletes. We don't cause trouble. 

Patera: We're just out here to tell the hard working and tremendous champions, the Gunslingers that we're really looking forward to a clean and competitive match with them at Title Night. We don't want some bar room brawl. So let's stick to wrestling. Sound good boys? 

Casey: Look, we don't like the games you guys have been playing. 

Rheingans: We don't just play games, we win games. 

Mantell: Well, we won the last game at SuperClash and we're planning on winning the next game. 

Patera: Just calm down. We came out here with nothing but the best of intentions and now you guys want to get riled up. Just take it easy. 

Casey: We've had enough. We'll be at Title Night and we'll see you in the ring. 

Gunslingers hold up their titles and leave. 

Patera: Those guys egos are way too big. 

Rheingans: That's ok, we'll have to put them in check. 

Commercial Break 

'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs. Frank Jurgens 

1484051026_larryz.jpg.191b83bb9ed53893bacae554b010d3fc.jpg

Zbyszko goes toe to toe with the fans and then gets down to business and wins the match with a swinging neckbreaker. 

Nelson: At Title Night, you will face El Canek in a number one contender's match for the AWA world title.

Zbyszko: (gives Nelson a look of distain) Jeez Nelson, tell me something I don't know for once. The world title is the one and only title that's eluded me in my illustrious career. After I take care of that masked spudhead at Title Night, the world title is next and you can bet it's coming back to Larry Land. 

Commercial Break 

We see a well groomed and well dressed man carrying a box. He sets in down and opens it. He pulls out a sleek pair of wrestling boots. 

Man: Your custom made wrestling boots are ready Mr. St. Clair

Tony St. Clair takes them, looks them over and tries them on. 

St. Clair: Splendid, simply splendid. 

Man: Nothing but the best for you Mr. St. Clair.

Tony turns around and smiles at the camera.

Tina Turner's Simply the Best plays. 

tony.jpg.c0c376e154153263dacb429e6d3111bb.jpg

TONY 'Simply the Best' ST. CLAIR returns to the AWA 

Commercial Break 

AWA Mid-American Champ 'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff and The Fantastics 

vs.

AWA World Tag Team Champs The Guerreros and 'Mad Dog' Buzz Sawyer 

This one's a good one as everybody gets a chance to shine. The Guerreros and Fantastics go back and forth, showing off their tag team excellence. Orndorff and Sawyer get in some good brawling moments. The match goes back and forth. Things get too intense and a pier six brawl ensues. Orndorff and Sawyer fight to the outside. Sawyer hits Orndorff with the ringside bell. The Ref is tied up with Chavo and Fulton. Rogers hits a flying press on Hector and has him pinned. Sawyer comes off the top rope and nails Rogers with the ringside bell. Hector rolls over on top of Rogers. The Ref turns around, runs over and counts 1..2..3! BOOOOOOOO

Commercial Break 

We see a black screen. Eye of the Tiger starts to play. We see images of biceps, a cross, a red tank top, yellow trunks and a yellow headband. Then the face appears.

hogan.jpg.7dd58c1b2a5ffc447a19d220c0ecf98d.jpg

HULK HOGAN comes to the AWA!!!! 

Saturday February 17th

The Mecca in Milwaukee  

Live on Sports Channel America 

Commercial Break 

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Todd Rooney 

Slaughter clamps on the cobra clutch and it's all over. The bell is ringing but Slaughter is still wrenching away. 

The fans go wild! 

NIKITA KOLOFF hits the ring! 

Slaughter tosses his opponent and turns around.

WHAM! 

Nikita puts Slaughter down with the Russian Sickle!!! 

The fans are up and cheering as Nikita stands tall over Slaughter. 

NIKITA! NIKITA! NIKITA! 

nikita.jpg.55941a8912bb6329a5654e2ff9df290f.jpg

Adias is so far up his own ass he's about to come out of his own mouth.

The Rose's prioritize payback over a win.

I love how Nelson never knows when Link is gonna show up.

The Gunslingers have no time for the Olympians shtick.

Zbyszko's annoyance at Nelson never fails to amuse.

St Clair is truly getting the star treatment.

Sawy proves to be the MVP on a team with the tag champs.

The Hulkster front and center promoting Title Night.

Nikita is back and Sarge is in for it now!