AWA Major League Wrestling

spaldoni

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWA @ The Met Center, Bloomington MN 2-10-89

awa2.jpg.25aae2400209e6fcd3602652b57f62eb.jpg

The Dragon Kings (Tatsumi Fujinami and George Takano) defeated Two Local Talents with a double back suplex 

'Big' Jim Morris vs. Glamour Doll 

Doll did everything he could but once Morris clamped on the bearhug it was all over. 

'The World's Strongest Man' Bill Kazmair vs. Cannonball Griz 

These two gave the fans a hard hitting slugfest that ended up on the outside which resulted in a Double C.O.

The San Juan Saints and 'Thrilling' Tom Brandi vs. Vinergy and 'The Fortunate One' Gary Young w/The Vin Man

The fans get a 20 minute roller coaster ride as both sides put on a show. In the end, Brandi catches Young with a reverse flying press off the turnbuckles for the thrilling win. 

'Mean' Mike Miller vs. 'The Foreman' Spike Huber 

Huber had things going his way and even got Miller up for an airplane spin, but an eye rake by Miller stopped the momentum. Miller takes control and puts Huber down with the Shoulder Breaker. 

'Superstar' Bill Dundee vs. Chicky Starr

10 minutes wasn't enough time as these guys battle to a time limit draw. 

'The Fabulous One' Steve Keirn and The Bruisers 

VS.

AWA Southern Champ 'Lethal' Larry Cameron and The British Bombers w/Skandor Akbar 

As you can imagine, this one gets wild. At the 30 minute mark a pier six brawl ensues. Akbar takes advantage of the chaos and hits Steve Strong with a chair. As Strong stumbles forward, Cameron puts him down with a running forearm blast to get the tainted win. 

'Bullet' Bob Armstrong vs. 'The Universal Heartthrob' Austin Idol 

These two vets prove they can still main event a show. They give the fans an old fashion southern fight. Armstrong starts to bleed bad. Idol starts working the leg and goes for the Las Vegas Leglock but Armstrong cradles him for the 1..2..3! Huge Pop! A pissed off Idol starts pounding away on Armstrong. Idol swings Armstrong to the ropes but misses a clothesline. Armstrong swings back and clotheslines Idol over the top rope. A bloody Armstrong stands tall as the fans cheer. Idol starts throwing chairs into the ring as Armstrong begs him to come back into the ring. 

AWA TITLE NIGHT

Saturday, February 17th

From the Mecca 

Live on Sports Channel America

AWA World Title Bout

Jumbo Tsuruta (C) w/Ray Stevens vs. Iceman Parsons

AWA World Tag Team Title Bout

The Guerreros (C) vs. The Fantastics

AWA Mid-American Title Bout

'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff (C) vs. 'Mad Dog' Buzz Sawyer

AWA Southern Title Bout

'Lethal' Larry Cameron (C) vs. 'The Fabulous One' Steve Keirn 

AWA National Tag Title Bout

The Gunslingers (C) vs. The Olympians 

AWA TV Title Bout

'Blockbuster' Brian Adias (C) vs. Leo Burke 

World Title Number One Contender's Match

El Canek vs. 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko 

AND 

An interview with the Immortal HULK HOGAN!!!!!

Fujinami and Takano prove why they're the Kings.

GD learns why you don't mess with Big Jim.

Kaz and Grizz get thrown out.

Brandi and the Saints topple Vinnie's trio.

Huber's rough start continues.

Dundee and Starr got a little short changed on the time limit.

Akbar helps his champion out.

Armstrong leaves victorious leaving Idol to throw a fit.

Hulk Hogan is COMING! I think there is an opportunity to consolidate and expand the horizons of the AWA with his arrival. Can the titles be put together to make a clear number one title with a secondary to boot? Who is the prized fighter of the AWA and how do they match up with the Hulkster? Verne has every opportunity to jump right back in the fight here... can't wait to see how it goes!

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 2-16-89

ring.jpg.243e52cd28f6e2a12890087b7b23c08d.jpg

Larry Nelson: Hello everybody and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. And when I say Major League, I mean it. Because tomorrow night on Sports Channel America, Title Night will be shown and it's certain to be an epic and historic event for the AWA. All the titles will be defended and making his grand appearance will be none other than the immortal Hulk Hogan! We'll be talking more about that throughout tonight's show. Speaking of tonight, you will see The Bruisers and Jim Morris take on The British Bombers and Kokina. Spike Huber versus Glamour Doll. And in the main event, Bob Armstrong and Bill Dundee go up against Austin Idol and Chicky Starr. Ok, let's get to the ring. 

The San Juan Saints vs. Samson Smith and Richard Dalton 

sjsaints.jpg.30de766a0e7cc11dff6341249dd841d3.jpg

Saints get the crowd pumping and win the match with a double suplex followed by stereo elbow drops. 

Saints cut a promo and say they're ready for their upcoming matches with Vinergy and are going to prove they're serious contenders. 

Commercial Break 

Larry Nelson runs down the Title Night card and hypes up Hulk Hogan. 

'The Foreman' Spike Huber vs. Glamour Doll 

huber.jpg.d1e63ccbc8ff61ff78b441ed9a76047d.jpgsdoll.jpg.9546a5251ff01c4e4a0a2930b7489d4e.jpg

A few weeks ago, these two wrestled to a time limit draw. Tonight, they go at it as soon as the bell rings. It's back and forth action. Huber gets control with a back elbow smash and works Doll over. Doll comes back after an eye rake and takes it to Huber. Doll slams Huber and follows with a sling shot splash but Huber kicks out at 2. Doll berates the Ref. Doll picks up Huber for a slam but Huber cradles Doll 1..2..3! Big POP! Huber rolls out of the ring and celebrates while Doll throws a tantrum. 

Commercial Break 

The Dragon Kings vs. Royce Richardson and Harold Bannister 

takano.jpg.0b3853414d8895f84046f40ab9501f30.jpgtatsumi.jpg.1e1834386b7e892b94d52b8d478288cd.jpg

The Dragon Kings give the fans quite a wrestling display. Takano hits a snap suplex and tags in Fujinami, who finishes things off with a Dragon Suplex.

Nelson: I'm here with the Dragon Kings and I have to say, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. 

WHAM!!! 

sugar.jpg.e49aca0e1892898b24407d36a1ac353d.jpgmachine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.png

The Dragon Kings are attacked by Sweet Dreams. Dream Machine swings Fujinami into the steel post as Sugar slams Takano on the concrete.

Nelson: Just what the hell are you guys doing?!

Sugar: Showing them who's boss! 

Dream: That's right! Why are they getting all the attention? We're the hottest team in the AWA! Sweet Dreams babay! And don't you forget it! 

Commercial Break 

Vinergy and 'The Fortunate One' Gary Young w/The Vin Man vs. Vic Dutro, Willie Lopez and Clint Moore 

dukes.jpg.dbfc7042c030d11dd87fa5c779213ca9.jpgputski.jpg.67044e38c0e3ca3225c6eefa28899ee0.jpgyoung.jpg.510b0180f8cdfff20c4f845d9d006757.jpg

Dukes hits a missile dropkick, Putski hits the Polish hammer and Young finally finishes things off with a tornado DDT. 

Nelson: Vinnie, I have to admit, your boys looked pretty good tonight

Vin: Oh Larbo, you've finally opened your eyes. Are these guys great or what. Now, we heard those San Juan Stooges out here talking and they must be delusional if they think they can beat Vinergy. That'll never happen. Never! Now my man Gary has something to say.

Young: Thank you, Vin Man. Tom Brandi, you've become a real thorn in my side boy! You think you can play with the big boys? Think again because it's time to teach you a lesson and that's just what I'm going to do. 

Vin: YEA! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, tomorrow night will be a ground breaking night indeed. It all happens on Sports Channel America and I'm talking about Title Night. I still can't believe it but it's going to happen. Hulk Hogan will be in the Mecca and he's going to talk to Ken Resnick inside the squared circle. That's right! Hulkamania is going to run wild, here in the AWA. What a historic moment that will be. All the AWA titles will be defended and you'll also see a world title number one contender's match. Trust me, you won't want to miss this epic night. 

Commercial Break 

'Big' Jim Morris and The Bruisers vs. Kokina and The British Bombers

morris.jpg.02fd78c885506b3320a3e6dfb35ed924.jpgbusick.jpg.de786178dd6ea45803150bf04ad2153c.jpgbilly.jpg.0c6386f5a8b4fc47568d78e9a72f1fdc.jpgkokina.jpg.f9f06b888f30e4c1a37fbeaab73456ba.jpgjsmith.jpg.d3c7d5e336ad9ae16111054d5141de01.jpgtaylor.jpg.4082641d2168def937213c14569e8917.jpg

Skandor Akbar is in Milwaukee with AWA Southern Champ Larry Cameron. 

This is a wild one as it begins with a pier six brawl. The Bruisers and Bombers tear into each other. The Fans cheer as Morris and Kokina have a stare down. The fans explode as Morris and Kokina have a furious exchange. The Ref can't get control and signals for the bell, calling it a double DQ. The Bruisers and Bombers continue to fight on the outside. Kokina swings Morris to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Morris swings back and nails Kokina with a big boot to the head. Kokina staggers back and falls through the ropes. The fans are up and cheering. 

Commercial Break 

'The World's Strongest Man' Bill Kazmaier vs. Todd Rooney 

kazmaier.jpg.af8176345cabe35cab4ad8e407c8838e.jpg

The fans chant 'Kaz' throughout the match. Kaz wins the match with the Argentine backbreaker. 

Kaz cuts a promo on Cannonball Griz and says they have another fight coming! 

Commercial Break 

'Bullet' Bob Armstrong and 'Superstar' Bill Dundee vs. 'The Universal Heartthrob" Austin Idol and Chicky Starr 

armstrong.jpg.6181f6b7b3f734afb7f05a1e74e62a02.jpgdundee.jpg.0a5cf7cf42e5ca586dd8fd10b275238a.jpgidol.jpg.29a92f1f4ea889626b09a958d8d997fd.jpgchicky.jpg.818c022291bbab632db36ce76c879c70.jpg

Fun TV main event. The fans get their share of some great Armstrong/Idol moments. Chicky and Dundee get their shine in as well. A few minutes in, Armstrong is pinballing Idol all over the ring. Idol gets back dropped and bounces over to tag in Starr. Starr comes in and gets back dropped. Starr staggers up into the wrong corner and gets punched by Dundee. Starr falls back into the Ref. Idol runs in as does Dundee. The Ref gets up and guides Dundee to his corner, which allows Idol to pull a foreign object out. Armstrong hoists Starr up for a piledriver but Idol nails Armstrong with the foreign object. Dundee charges back in and punches away on Idol. Starr covers Armstrong as the Ref counts 1..2..3! BOOOOO! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, last week we saw the return of Nikita Koloff. Well, he's here today. Please welcome out Nikita Koloff! 

The fans cheer as Nikita comes out. Nikita nods to them and walks over to Nelson. 

Nelson: Nikita, I know you have a score to settle with Sgt. Slaughter. 

Nikita: Sgt. Slaughter! You cost Nikita the world title! Now it time for Nikita to get revenge! Last week you felt the Russian Sickle and that was only the beginning. Your pain and suffering has just begun! 

Nikita does his trap pose. 

nikita.jpg.55941a8912bb6329a5654e2ff9df290f.jpg

The show ends with a rundown of Title Night. 

Tomorrow night on Sports Channel America. From the Mecca in Milwaukee. 

See previous post for complete card. 

Looking forward to the next Title Night!

"Big Jim" and the Bruisers is a fun pairing.

I guess it is because of when I was most into wrestling but Idol vs Armstrong really has my interest.  You had some great matches on TV this week which I guess became much more normal by the late 80's.  Great booking.

Sgt. vs Nikita is really a really cool matchup especially with Sgt as the heel and Nikita as the babyface.  

AWA TITLE NIGHT @ The Mecca in Milwaukee WI 2-17-89

belt.jpg.ffc428bf4f8d01f47f041d57f4dd5af2.jpg

Broadcasted on Sports Channel America 

sca.jpg.48048d951cb694f478af3678f0dfdc33.jpg

Larry Nelson: Fans, welcome to Title Night and here with me is the owner of the AWA, Verne Gagne. 

Verne: Thank you Larry and it's great to be here amongst all the great fans of the AWA. Tonight is a historic night for the AWA. We're now a part of Sports Channel America programming and fans across the nation will be able to enjoy all the AWA televised programs. And what a way to kick off our affiliation with Sports Channel America. Because tonight you will see all titles defended plus a world title number one contender's match. And that's not all. Hulk Hogan will be here as well. (HUGE POP). So enough talking let's get Title Night going. 

AWA National Tag Team Title Bout 

The Gunslingers (C) vs. The Olympians 

The fans boo as the Olympians extend their hands out for handshakes. The Gunslingers look at each other, then stereo dropkick the Olympians out of the ring. This sets the tone for the first few minutes as the Gunslingers work over the Olympians. Both Patera and Rheingans get pinballed and outclassed as the Gunslingers tag in and out and keep the momentum in their favor. The Olympians finally turn the tide as Patera (from the apron) nails Casey with a knee to the back. 

Rheingans hits a gutwrench suplex on Casey and tags in Patera, who works Casey over with power moves. Casey is finally able to make the tag to Mantell. Mantell cleans house. Patera tags in Rheingans. Mantell takes it to Rheingans and hits a running bulldog but Patera runs in to break the pin. Casey runs in and punches Patera through the ropes. As the Ref guides Casey back, Patera is wrapping something in a towel. Mantell swings off the ropes but Patera whacks him with the loaded towel. Mantell drops down. Rheingans covers as the Ref jumps over and counts 1..2..3! Casey is a second too late. BOOOOOOOS! 

The Olympians get the titles and celebrate. Casey is tending to Mantell. The Olympians start applauding the Gunslingers. They reach down and lift Mantell's arm up. Casey goes nuts and pushes Rheingans. Patera nails Casey with the title. The Olympians shake their heads down at the Gunslingers. The fans boo as the Olympians hold up their titles.

Winners of the match and NEW AWA National Tag Team champs- The Olympians 

AWA TV Title Bout 

'Blockbuster' Brian Adias (C) vs. Leo Burke 

After the introductions are made, Adias grabs the mic. 

Adias: The ratings champ is here. I know this is a big, historic, groundbreaking night for the AWA and all I have to say is you're welcome. 

The bell rings. Adias slowly takes off his sunglasses. As he turns around, Burke nails him with a running forearm blast. Burke goes off on Adias with forearm uppercuts, then hip tosses his across the ring. Burke works Adias over and scores several near falls. Adias turns things around with a lowblow. Adias controls the next segment and almost pins Burke with a Russian Leg Sweep. Adias stays on Burke and goes for a missile dropkick but Burke dodges it. Burke makes a comeback and nails Adias with a flying knee but Adias stays alive. Burke swings Adias to the ropes and clamps on the sleeper. Burke wrenches away. Adias is falling. The bell rings. The fans cheer as Burke celebrates. Wait, the Ref is talking to the announcer. The announcer tells the crowd that the time limit had expired. Both Burke and the fans are disappointed. Adias is laid out as the Ref sets the title on his chest. 

Official decision- A time limit draw. Brian Adias retains the AWA TV title. 

World Title Number One Contender's Match

El Canek vs. 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko 

The first few minutes is both wrestlers feeling each other out by exchanging holds, take overs, headlocks, set ups for submissions and quick pin attempts. Canek starts to frustrate Zbyszko. During a tie up in the ropes, Zbyszko nails Canek with a spin kick when the Ref was trying to break them up. Zbyszko goes into full heel mode. Zbyszko chokes Canek on the bottom rope, then starts stomping away. Zbyszko hoists Canek up and throat drops him on the top rope. Zbyszko breaks all the rules and also hits Canek with several scientific moves but can't put Canek away. Zbyszko vertical suplexes Canek, then goes for his swinging neckbreaker but Canek fights it and back drops Zbyszko. 

Zbyszko staggers up as Canek dropkicks him down. Canek regroups. Zbyszko staggers up as Canek scoop slams him down. Canek suplexes Zbyszko, hops on the middle ropes and comes down with an elbow drop 1..2..Kick Out. Canek continues his momentum but Zbyszko hangs in there. Canek picks up Zbyszko, but Zbyszko rakes his eyes and snap suplexes Canek over. 

Zbyszko swings Canek into the corner and charges in but Canek moves as Zbyszko hits the corner front first. Zbyszko staggers back as Canek executes a bridging back suplex 1..2..3!! 

Winner of the match and is now the number one contender to the AWA world title- El Canek 

AWA Southern Title Bout 

'Lethal' Larry Cameron (C) w/Skandor Akbar vs. 'The Fabulous One' Steve Keirn 

The bell rings and Akbar is distracting Keirn. Cameron clotheslines Keirn from behind. Cameron works Keirn over with devastating power moves. Cameron hoists Kerin up on his shoulder and runs with him, but Keirn slips out of it and pushes Cameron into the turnbuckles. Keirn clears the cobwebs.

Keirn controls the next segment with slams, knee drops and forearm drops. Keirn hits a backbreaker 1..2..Kick Out. Keirn slams Cameron and then puts him in position for the reverse DDT. Akbar reaches in the ring and grabs Keirn's boot. Keirn drops Cameron and goes out after Akbar. Akbar runs away. Keirn gets back in the ring but is met with a running double axehandle blast to the head by Cameron 1..2..3! 

Winner of the match and STILL AWA Southern Champ- Larry Cameron 

Ken Resnick is standing in the ring. 

Resnick: I have to tell you, it's such an honor to be a part of this amazing night. Well, you all know why I'm standing here. The wait is finally over. Joining the AWA and joining me right now is the one and only immortal HULK HOGAN!!!!! 

The place literally erupts as Eye of the Tiger blasts over the arena. 

The spotlight hits the top of the aisle. The roar gets even louder as Hulk Hogan appears! 

Hogan is mobbed as he walks down the aisle slapping hands. His eyes are bulging. He's wearing jeans, boots, a Hulkamania shirt and headband. 

Hogan enters the ring and plays his part as he cuffs his ear to each side of the arena. The place is going nuts! 

Resnick: (pauses several times because the cheers are deafening) Hulk Hogan! This reaction is unbelievable. On behalf of the AWA and these great fans, welcome to the AWA! 

Hogan looks around and smiles. 

Hogan: Well let me tell you something Killer Ken! (Huge pop) I can't tell you how pumped I am to be in the AWA brother! The major league of professional wrestling! (huge pop) It's no secret where I've been and the mountain I conquered. But you know what Killer Ken? 

Resnick: (can't stop smiling) What's that Hulk? 

Hogan: When I was at the top of that mountain, I looked around and saw other mountains to conquer. (Huge Pop) That's right! Hulk Hogan is here to conquer Mount AWA brother! (The fans keep cheering) As I look around this arena and hear these great Hulkamaniacs, I know in my heart that the power of Hulkamania will live on forever! (the cheers keep getting louder) With all my Hulkamaniacs out here and across the world, there's no way we can fail. We all live by the demmandments of Hulkamainia, the prayers, training and vitamins. And with that strength and power behind me, Hulkamania is going to the top of the AWA! So whatcha gonna do when Hulk Hogan, the Hulkamaniacs and Hulkamania run wild on you!!!!!!! 

The place goes absolutely nuts when Hogan rips off his shirt and starts posing. 

hogan.jpg.7dd58c1b2a5ffc447a19d220c0ecf98d.jpg

Intermission/Commercial Breaks 

AWA Mid-American Title Bout 

'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff (C) vs. 'Mad Dog' Buzz Sawyer 

The bell rings and we have a fight. These two just hammer and pound away on each other. They take turns battering each other inside and outside the ring. The tide changes several times as these guys continue to tear each other apart. After 10 minutes of brutal action, something weird happens. The Missing Link shows up and starts walking around the ring, holding the back of his head. Sawyer takes offense to this and starts yelling at Link. Link starts yelling up at Sawyer. Orndorff comes from behind and rolls Sawyer up 1..2..3! 

As Orndorff celebrates, Sawyer runs out of the ring and attacks Link. They start fighting as several officials run out to break it up. 

Winner of the Match and still AWA Mid-American Champ- Paul Orndorff 

AWA World Tag Team Title Bout 

The Guerreros (C) vs. The Fantastics

Once again we get a classic between these tremendous teams. Both teams show incredible teamwork and chemistry. It's a see saw battle that keeps the fans on the edge of their seats. At the 15 minute mark, the Guerreros take control and double suplex Fulton. Hector swings off the ropes and hits a jumping knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Hector tags in Chavo. They swing Fulton to the ropes and hit a double hot shot on the top rope 1..2..Fulton gets his foot in the rope. The Guerreros get frustrated and start putting the boots to Fulton. Rogers runs in and pounds away on the Guerreros. The Ref finally gets control.

Fulton is able to dive over and tag in Rogers. Rogers goes nuts with dropkicks, hip tosses, back drops and slams. Rogers goes for a pin on Hector but Chavo breaks it. Fulton runs in and we get a pier six brawl. The Fantastics double dropkick Chavo out of the ring. The Fantastics work over Hector and execute the Rocket launcher! Rogers covers 1..2..WHAM! Chavo nails Rogers with a chair! The Ref calls for the DQ as Fulton dropkicks Chavo. 

Winners of the match by DQ- The Fantastics. However, the Guerreros retain the AWA world tag titles BOOOOOOOO

AWA World Title Bout 

Jumbo Tsuruta (C) w/Ray Stevens vs. Iceman Parsons 

The announcements are made and Jumbo holds his title up with pride. Stevens makes sure Parsons and the fans know who the world champion is. 

Parsons has a good game plan going as he gets an early advantage on Jumbo and stays on him. Things change when Parsons swings Jumbo into the corner and charges in, but Jumbo runs out and nails Parsons with a running knee to the head. Jumbo goes on a suplex rampage and has Parsons bouncing all over the ring. Jumbo hits a German suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Jumbo swings Parsons to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Parsons swings back and dropkicks Jumbo down. 

The fans cheer as Parsons fires up. Jumbo staggers up as Parsons dropkicks him back down. Jumbo staggers up as Parsons scoop slams him back down. Parsons swings off the ropes and hits a jumping elbow drop. Parsons hops on the middle ropes and crashes down with a forearm drop 1..2..Kick Out. Parsons swings Jumbo to the ropes and hits his Hip Attack! Jumbo staggers back by the ropes and falls. Parsons covers 1..2..Jumbo gets his foot on the ropes. Parsons swings Jumbo to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Jumbo swings back and puts Parsons down with a devastating lariat. 

Jumbo regroups. Jumbo executes a delayed vertical suplex on Parsons. Jumbo goes to the top rope and crashes down with a knee drop on the throat. Jumbo picks up Parsons and powerbombs him down 1..2..3! 

Stevens runs in with the world title and hands it to Jumbo. 

The show ends with Jumbo holding up the world title as Stevens points to Jumbo.

Winner of the match and STILL AWA World Champ- Jumbo Tsuruta 

The Olympians have been the most entertaining tag act for a while now so I'm actually glad to see them hold the gold.

Adias is saved by the bell just as he's going to sleep. Classic.

Akbar takes Keirn's eye off the prize.

Excellent work on the Hogan promo brother!

Sawyer really doesn't have anyone to blame but himself for that one. But I'm sure he'll find a way not to.

Jumbo gets past the Iceman. Bring on Canek!

Amazing opening match, loved the post-match stuff here! Excited to see El Canek challenge for the title! Guerreros vs the Fantastics is a slice of tag team heaven, lovely match second-to-last. Good main event action to close with, Jumbo Tsuruta remains on top of the world!

Always enjoy these title nights.  I played a little game with myself to see if I could predict who was coming out with the titles...

I called the Olympians title change but love the controversial ending where you can continue the angle if you wish.

I thought Adias would still be the tv champ but did not expect him knocked out by the sleeper as the time limit expired.  Love these matches.

I did have the El Canek-Larr Z match wrong.  I know that you enjoy writing for both of these guys and just picked the wrong one.  Another great match.

I did hove Lethal Larry over Keirn.  I just thought Akbar would add too much to the match.  

I did have Orndorff keeping his title but I thought it might be a DDQ as I know you want to keep them both strong.  Love the Missing Link addition.  Sawyer and Link would be a wild feud.  Nice use of your roster here.  

I did have a feeling the Fantastics were taking the titles from the Guerreroes but knew it would be a wild ending where anything could happen.  Really enjoyed this match.  I wish the Guerreroes were on more when I was a kid.  What I saw of them was great.  

Jumbo over Iceman was the one I was surest about.  I love Iceman but he is better as a major title chaser then the champ.  His charisma allows him to get over without the title.  It is one of the reasons I think Jake Roberts didn't have many title runs.  Also, I am sure you are building to something bigger for Jumbo.  Oh, by the way, loved the Hogan interview.  I could just hear each of those words coming from his mouth.  

Didn't mean to by my booking hat in the AWA, just thought it would be fun to try and pick the winners.  

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 2-23-89

Title Night highlights are shown, including a piece of the epic Hulk Hogan promo. The highlights end with a shot of Jumbo Tsuruta holding the world title up. 

Larry Nelson: Hello everyone and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. Well, Title Night is in the books and what a show that was. The new AWA National tag team champs, the Olympians will be here today. Gary Young takes on Bill Dundee for a shot at the TV title in 2 weeks. Bill Kazmaier teams with the Rose Cousins to take on Cannonball Griz and the High Chiefs. Dory Funk Jr. will be in action. All that and a lot more, so lets go to the ring. 

Dory Funk Jr. vs. Todd Rooney 

dory.jpg.ab92c7b36af56bb6864994c8439c0dd1.jpg

Dory puts his opponent through a scientific wrestling class and wins the match with a spinning toe hold. 

Nelson: Dory, it's great to have you here in the AWA. 

Dory: Thank you Larry. As you just saw, I've still got some fuel in the tank. I'm here for a serious run and I'm putting all the champions on notice. 

Commercial Break 

Kokina w/Skandor Akbar vs. Harold Bannister 

kokina.jpg.f9f06b888f30e4c1a37fbeaab73456ba.jpg

Akbar smiles as Kokina hits the Samoan Drop for the easy win. 

Akbar cuts a promo and says Jim Morris made a big mistake getting involved in Kokina's business. 

Commercial Break 

Leo Burke vs. Carl Kellerman 

leo.jpg.58f63c753bdcd84a011e3c74e6d9a6f1.jpg

Burke dominates and wins the match with the sleeper. 

WHAM! 

From behind Mean Mike Miller nails Burke with a forearm blast. Miller stomps on Burke's shoulder, then hurls him out of the ring. Miller follows, picks up Burke and swings him shoulder first into the steel post. Miller picks up Burke and gives him a shoulder breaker. 

miller.jpg.be499598eee5d897e6c815f24e391aab.jpg

Nelson: Mike Miller! What the hell were you thinking? 

Miller: At Title Night, that TV title shot should've been mine! That loser lying there in pain didn't deserve it. Maybe now people will take notice of Mean Mike Miller! 

Commercial Break 

'Mad Dog' Buzz Sawyer vs. Trent Watkins 

sawyer.jpg.570fc1e666d2b194f831c74434bf35eb.jpg

Sawyer pounds his opponent before finishing him off with a powerslam! 

Nelson: At Title Night, it seemed you got distracted by the Missing Link.

Sawyer: Link! Link! Link! Where are you Link? You made the Mad Dog mad and now you're going to feel the bite! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Ok, we have some big news for our fans in the UK. The AWA will be coming to the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday March 16th. You will see Jumbo Tsuruta defend the AWA world title against Bob Armstrong. You'll also see AWA stars such as Nikita Koloff, Sgt. Slaughter and many more. I've also been told that Tony St. Clair will return to the AWA on that night. I know I'm looking forward to being in London. Speaking of excitement, let's go back to Title Night and hear the words of the immortal Hulk Hogan. 

Hogan's Title Night promo is shown. 

Nelson: Yes, Hulk Hogan is in the AWA and he will be right here on TV in 2 weeks. That's right, HulkaMania will run wild right here in 2 weeks. 

Commercial Break 

Winner gets an AWA TV title shot in 2 weeks

'Superstar' Bill Dundee vs. 'The Fortunate One' Gary Young w/The Vin Man 

dundee.jpg.0a5cf7cf42e5ca586dd8fd10b275238a.jpgyoung.jpg.510b0180f8cdfff20c4f845d9d006757.jpg

These guys have a nice back and forth match. Dundee is in control and has Young up for a suplex but Vinnie reaches in and trips Dundee. Young takes control and suplexes Dundee. Young hops on the middle ropes and crashes down with an elbow drop 1..2..Kick Out. Young chokes Dundee on the top rope. The Ref backs Young off, which enables Vinnie to snap Dundee's head on the top rope. Young picks up Dundee and hits a backbreaker 1..2..Kick Out. Young tries to suplex Dundee but Dundee blocks it and suplexes Young. 

Vinnie gets on the apron. Dundee runs over and grabs Vinnie by his shirt. Young staggers up and charges Dundee with a high knee but Dundee moves. Young knees Vinnie off the apron. Dundee grabs Young and hits a German Suplex. Dundee goes to the top rope and crashes down with the Bombs Away 1..2..3!! Huge Pop! 

Commercial Break 

'Thrilling' Tom Brandi vs. Neil Jordan 

brandi.jpg.3526a191c511fb062b85699bea7204a9.jpg

As Brandi heads to the ring, Young and Vinnie are staggering to the back. Brandi grins at them. As Brandi enters the ring, Young and Vinnie attack him. Young sets Brandi up and drops him with a tornado DDT. Vinnie gets in a few more stomps. It's obvious Brandi can't compete tonight. 

Commercial Break 

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Vic Dutro 

slaughter.jpg.d076f834903bc5dfb933097bee15c8e6.jpg

Slaughter is all over Dutro and wins the match with the cobra clutch! 

Nelson: Sgt. Slaughter, I think you made a grave mistake costing Nikita Koloff the AWA world title at SuperClash. 

Slaughter: Shut up puke! That no good commie has fell into my trap. I want a fight! My mission is to rid the AWA of poison like Koloff. I will accomplish that mission when that coward is ready to fight me man to man, face to face. (looks at Nelson) You're dismissed! 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, I've got more big news for you. As you all know, our next big pay per view will be Champagne Slam on Saturday April 20th, from Market Square Arena. I can tell you right now that El Canek has chosen that date for his AWA world title match. Speaking of the world title, I wanted to bring out Iceman Parsons. 

iceman.jpg.94656e23827fc08a5d31075e31b69a07.jpg

The fans cheer as We are Family blasts on the speakers. 

Nelson: Iceman, at Title Night, you gave the world champ Jumbo Tsuruta a real test....

Boos as Larry Zbyszko storms out. 

1484051026_larryz.jpg.191b83bb9ed53893bacae554b010d3fc.jpg

Zbyszko: You know, I've had enough of what's going on around here. Why are you wasting time talking to this jerk (points at Iceman)? You should be talking to the real number one contender.

Parsons: Oh, you mean El Canek? 

Zbyszko: (long pause and distain look) Oh I didn't know you were such a comedian. I just thought you were a talentless spud head. 

Parsons pushes Zbyszko but before anything else happens, several officials run out to stop it from escalating. Zbyszko keeps yelling at Parsons as the officials back him away. 

Commercial Break 

AWA National Tag Team Champs The Olympians vs. Samson Smith and Marvin Masters

olympians.jpg.6399ecf899d93201742ed8062c2bd2f7.jpg 

Rheingans hits a gut wrench suplex and tags in Patera. Patera clamps on the full nelson and it's all over. 

Nelson: Fans, your new AWA National Tag Champs, the Olympians. I have to say, as Olympians, how do you feel about the way you won those titles?

Rheingans: We feel great! Why wouldn't we? We're going to bring honor, pride and most of all credibility to these National Titles.

Patera: That's right. The way things ought to be. But you know what really put a damper on our title win? The un sportsman like conduct of the Gunslingers. We offered them a handshake and they couldn't even give us that. What a disgrace. 

Rheingans: Shameful!

Patera: Well, we're going to put that disgraceful act behind us and move forward. The Olympians are ready to face all the great tag team competition the AWA has to offer. We promise to defend these National titles with integrity and dignity. 

Rheingans: You can count on that! 

Olympians give a thumbs up and hold up the titles as the fans boo. They look around and can't believe they're being booed. 

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, before we get to our main event. Joining me now is Carlos Colon! 

colon.jpg.df5c80283fd3edef392a672cd9d7edea.jpg

The fans are up and cheering as Colon comes out wearing a nice suit and waving. 

Nelson: Carlos, welcome back. We haven't seen you since SuperClash. How's the neck? 

Colon: Thank you very much Larry. As you know I've been in many in ring wars and have suffered my share of injuries. At SuperClash, that was one of the worst things that's ever happened to me. I'll be honest, thoughts of retiring went through my mind. I wasn't sure if I could come back the same. 

Boos as Chicky Starr comes out. 

chicky.jpg.818c022291bbab632db36ce76c879c70.jpg

Starr: Well, well, well, my old friend Carlos. It has been a while and I can't believe what I'm hearing. What happened to you man? You have become very weak my friend. Very soft. Pathetic. You have really disappointed me. 

Chicky walks away shaking his head. 

Colon: Let me make one thing clear...

Wham! 

Chicky hits Colon from behind with a chair to the back, then just walks away. 

Colon is on the ground favoring his back. Colon grimaces as he slowly stands. 

Colon: Chicky, I will show you the man I am!  

Commercial Break 

'The World's Strongest Man' Bill Kazmaier and The Rose Cousins 

vs

Cannonball Griz and The High Chiefs

kazmaier.jpg.af8176345cabe35cab4ad8e407c8838e.jpgroses.jpg.9b827032abed6398624b6277b39aae5f.jpgcannonball.jpg.2c6757c6944d38cd954a77f000697124.jpglightfoot.jpg.c0cd643c942559527bc277d52a944d79.jpgafi.jpg.69cc7f3d688142675d8d42ccf73ac06a.jpg

As you would expect, this one starts out with a pier six brawl and fists flying. The Ref lets it go for a bit, then finally gets control. Kaz puts his strength to use with power moves. The Roses southern fighting is in full throttle. Griz comes back with power moves of his own. The High Chiefs put their brutality to work. 

After a few minutes of see saw hard hitting action, we get another pier six brawl. The High Chiefs and Rose's fight to the outside and all around the ring. Griz swings Kaz into the corner and charges in for an avalanche but Kaz moves. Griz hits hard and staggers back as Kaz hits a big belly to back suplex 1..2..3!!! BIG POP! 

Hoss with a solid return and is on the hunt for gold.

Akbar looks to sic Kokina on Big Jim.

Miller carries a grudge and makes it Burke's problem.

Sawyer naturally pins his loss on Link.

A huge announcement as the AWA is coming to London!

Young & the Vin Man are bad losers and take it out on Brandi.

Sarge is totally, seriously happy that Nikita came back.

Larry Z interrupts Iceman's time to whinge about his loss but Parson's isn't having it.

The Olympians first promo as champs was perfect.

Chicky takes the time to kick his old rival while he's down.

Kaz's power proves the difference maker in a wild main event.

Nice show here which gives us some direction as to where the AWA is headed.  Like the promo for the show in England.  It reminded me of Georgia Championship Wrestling where they would highlight the main event like you did with Jumbo vs Armstrong.  Then they would rattle off a few big names who were most likely facing mid-card guys but the fans were so excited to see them.  Great job.

Also, I thought the promo with Buzz was awesome.  I could just see crazy Buzz Sawyer running in circles chanting Link, Link, Link.  Awesome!!

Larry Z is so hated and Iceman is so loved right now that this feud is perfect.

Also, can't wait to see the next installment of a bloody feud with Carlos Colon.  The AWA like it should be in Dawn of War.  

I'm enjoying your use of Hogan in AWA. It's going to be interesting to see what he can do here.

Dory Funk is a great fit for AWA as well. That toe hold is dangerous!

The Olympians as champions is a great choice. Lots of pedigree there...but their egos can get in the way sometimes.

Carlos Colon vs Chicky Starr is a fun match-up. I am looking forward to that. Jumbo Tsuruta is a force to be reckoned with and I'm not sure anyone can stop him. Not even Hogan!

One of the things I'm excited to follow is AWA's international expansion. It's going to be interesting to see how the cards shape up for each area.

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 3-1-89

Larry Nelson: Hello everybody and welcome to AWA Major League Wrestling. In action tonight will be Nikita Koloff, El Canek, Sweet Dreams, Bob Armstrong, Steve Keirn, Larry Zbyszko, AWA TV Champ Brian Adias and AWA World tag team champs The Guerreros. Glamour Doll wanted a rematch and it was accepted by Spike Huber. The Bruisers take on Vinergy. And we'll be hearing from Ray Stevens and the AWA world champion Jumbo Tsuruta. Ok, let's get to the ring. 

'The Russian Nightmare' Nikita Koloff vs. Trent Watkins

nikita.jpg.55941a8912bb6329a5654e2ff9df290f.jpg

It's all Nikita as he wins the match with the Russian Sickle. 

Nelson: Fans, next Saturday night the AWA will be in the UK. Nikita Koloff, you finally get your match with Sgt. Slaughter at the Royal Albert Hall. 

Koloff: Sgt. Slaughter, I have waited 2 months for this match! One thing is certain, next week in London, you go down! 

Commercial Break 

'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs. Artie Ferrone 

1484051026_larryz.jpg.191b83bb9ed53893bacae554b010d3fc.jpg

Zybszko is his usual arrogant self and finishes things off with a swinging neckbreaker. 

Nelson: Larry, for some reason you antagonized Iceman Parsons last week. Well, it's been signed. You will meet Parsons at the Royal Albert Hall next week.

Zbyszko: Wow Nelson, you are so informative. How are you still employed here? (long pause) Anyways, next week I'm going to teach that talentless Spudhead a lesson. He made the mistake of mouthing off to me and now he must take a trip to Larry Land. 

Commercial Break 

El Canek vs. Harold Bannister 

canek.jpg.b144562d8ceffccc2c1b875970131df6.jpg

We now know Canek will get his AWA world title shot at Champagne Slam in April. He's tuned up and ready as he wins the match with a backbreaker followed by the Bow and Arrow submission hold. 

WHAM! From behind Canek is nailed by Mean Mike Miller! Miller follows the attack with 2 shoulder breakers! 

miller.jpg.be499598eee5d897e6c815f24e391aab.jpg

Nelson: Mike Miller! Just what is your problem? You attacked Leo Burke last week and now El Canek! 

Miller: Hey! I told you that the AWA better take notice of me and I'm making damn sure they do! Right now I'm issuing a challenge to El Stupid for his number one contender spot. If he doesn't accept than he doesn't deserve to be the number one contender. 

Commercial Break 

'The Fabulous One' Steve Keirn vs. Carl Kellerman 

keirn.jpg.87dcd55dc5af63f191f4e1f090dc17f9.jpg

Keirn looks great tonight and wins the match with a reverse DDT. 

Commercial Break 

HULK HOGAN highlights are shown. 

Nelson: That's right fans, HULK HOGAN will be right here on AWA TV! 

'The Foreman' Spike Huber vs. Glamour Doll 

huber.jpg.a8d1be29fc6f63c5b6aef9f6c591745b.jpgsdoll.jpg.9546a5251ff01c4e4a0a2930b7489d4e.jpg

Doll attacks at the bell and works Huber over. Doll chokes Huber on the bottom rope, then swings off the ropes and comes back with a body guillotine. Doll picks up Huber and hits a vertical suplex 1..2..Kick Out. Doll swings Huber to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Huber kicks him. Huber regroups. 

Doll staggers up as Huber clotheslines him down. Huber hops on the middle ropes and crashes down with a knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Huber picks up Doll and goes for an airplane spin but Doll grabs the top rope. Both men struggle and end up going over the top rope and to the outside. 

The Ref starts the count. Both men stagger up at 8. Huber charges Doll but Doll back drops Huber into the ring as the Ref hits 10. The Ref raises Huber's arm while Doll throws a major tantrum on the outside. 

Commercial Break 

Sweet Dreams vs. Vic Dutro and Willie Lopez 

sugar.jpg.e49aca0e1892898b24407d36a1ac353d.jpgmachine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.png

Sugar hits a missile dropkick on Lopez and Dream follows with a jumping elbow drop for the win. 

Nelson: That attack you two pulled on the Dragon Kings might come back to bite you because you two will face them next week at the Royal Albert Hall. 

Sugar: Everybody knows that Sweet Dreams is the hottest team in the AWA and next week those two chumps are going to find out the hard way! 

Dream: Tell em Sugar! Listen up babay! Sweet Dreams is going all the way to the top and the Dragon Jesters are going to get trampled! 

Commercial Break 

AWA World Tag Champs The Guerreros vs. Ted Dobson and Ray Glader 

guererros.jpg.8f482316fccd720ce74e4ecf5df680d7.jpg

Chavo hits Glader with a punch to the mid section as Hector hits a sunset flip for the win. 

The Guerreros hold their titles up high.

The fans go wild as The Fantastics hit the ring and blast the Guerreros with chairs! The Fantastics continue to swing down on the Guerreros with chair shots. A swarm of officials hit the ring. 

fantastics.jpg.6f85e182fbf652ccdbdec5b7a7ca6f6b.jpg

Commercial Break 

We see an elegant room with a fire going in the fireplace. Tony St. Clair is relaxing in a recliner, enjoying a drink. 

St. Clair: When you're simply the best you can enjoy all of life's pleasures. Well, the time has come. Yours truly will make my triumphant return to the AWA at the Royal Albert Hall. How fitting, don't you think? 

St. Clair sips his drink as Tina Turner's Simply the Best plays. 

tony.jpg.c0c376e154153263dacb429e6d3111bb.jpg

Commercial Break 

'Bullet' Bob Armstrong vs. Neil Jordan 

armstrong.jpg.f8eb98fbbeddcdeb6ab2023cee55703e.jpg

Armstrong is on fire tonight and wins the match with a Jaw Breaker! 

Nelson: Ok, Bob Armstrong, you get the opportunity of a lifetime next week at the Royal Albert Hall. You will face Jumbo Tsuruta for the AWA world title. 

Armstrong: Everybody's goal in this business is to become world champion and I'm no different. 

BOOS as Austin Idol walks out. 

Idol: You know, I just can't believe that this washed up has been is getting a shot at the world title. What the hell is going on here?! 

Armstrong: You have a short memory Idol. I whooped you and now I'm ready to win the world title. So, Idol, I don't have time for you. As you know, I have bigger and better things to worry about. 

Armstrong walks away.

Idol: Don't you walk away while I'm talking! Hey! Ok, that's it! Armstrong is gonna pay! Bet on that! 

Nelson smiles as we go to commercial.

Commercial Break 

Nelson: With me now is the AWA TV champ Brian Adias.

Adias: Whoa Whoa Whoa! I take time out from my busy Hollywood schedule and that's the introduction I get? Just give me the mic Larry and get lost. 

Nelson happily gives up the mic and walks away.

Adias: Ok action! Your reigning AWA TV champion Blockbuster Brian Adias is here! Next week will be the highest rated program ever on Sports Channel America because I will be successfully defending my television title yet again against some uncredited extra named Bill. I'm leaving now because I always leave on a high note. 

Commercial Break 

The Bruisers vs. Vinergy w/The Vin Man 

busick.jpg.de786178dd6ea45803150bf04ad2153c.jpgbilly.jpg.0c6386f5a8b4fc47568d78e9a72f1fdc.jpgdukes.jpg.dbfc7042c030d11dd87fa5c779213ca9.jpgputski.jpg.67044e38c0e3ca3225c6eefa28899ee0.jpg

The Bruisers take turns pinballing Vinergy all over the ring. Vinnie tries to regroup his guys but they can't seem to deal with the Bruisers. After working Putski over, Busick puts him down with the Spinebuster Slam 1..2..Dukes breaks it. Strong comes in and pounds away on Dukes. While the Ref is trying to break them up, the British Bombers hit the ring and double clothesline Busick down. Putski rolls over and puts his arm on Busick. Vinnie yells at the Ref. The Ref turns around, dives over and counts 1..2..3! BOOOOOOOO

Commercial Break 

Nelson: Fans, don't forget, right here, next week, the Immortal Hulk Hogan will be here. I can't wait for that. Right now please welcome out Ray Stevens and the AWA world champion, Jumbo Tsuruta. 

Stevens comes out wearing jeans and a brown suit jacket. Jumbo is wearing a black suit with the title on his shoulder. 

Nelson: Next week at the Royal Albert Hall, your man Jumbo Tsuruta will defend the world title against Bob Armstrong.

Stevens: First of all, don't ever try and upstage the world champion by mentioning Hulk Hogan. You got that! Now as for Bob Armstrong. Bob, listen up and listen good. It seems you have some distractions going on with Austin Idol. My friend, you better be 100% ready next week, because Jumbo Tsuruta is coming to the UK for one reason and one reason only, to destroy you and retain his AWA world title. Understand this Bob, Jumbo is a human wrecking machine and he's going to run over you in London. Mow you down! After Jumbo is done with you, you won't even remember your own name! 

Jumbo holds up his title as the show ends. 

jumbo.jpg.e38382b7b41404e93f709d4286cb5935.jpg

Nikita is on the warpath and he's headed straight for Sarge.

Nelson continues to make Larry Z a salty bitch every time he opens his mouth.

Miller strikes again and this time with his eye on the #1 contender spot on the line.

Keirn looks Fabulous in a showcase.

Huber nearly eeks out another win over Doll.

Sweet Dreams is looking good but I still say they're in over their heads.

The Fantastics aren't done with Los Guerreros.

St Clair is all class.

Armstrong is trying to focus on the world title but Idol refuses to be ignored.

Speaking of the world title, Stevens is sick of hearing about Hulk Hogan.

Very excited for the show in London! Loved that little snippet of Tony St Clair! Bob Armstrong looks strong heading into his title shot but Austin Idol is doing a great job trying to keep himself at the back of the Bullet's mind! Really cool promo from Ray Stevens to end the show!

AWA Royal Albert Hall Card

Saturday March 9th

AWA World Title Bout 

Jumbo Tsuruta (C) w/Ray Stevens vs. 'Bullet' Bob Armstrong 

Nikita Koloff vs. Sgt. Slaughter

AWA Mid American Champ Paul Orndorff and 'Big' Jim Morris vs. AWA Southern Champ Larry Cameron and Kokina w/Skandor Akbar 

AWA world tag champs the Guerreros and Gary Young w/the Vin Man vs. The Fantastics and Tom Brandi

El Canek puts his world title number one contender spot on the line against Mean Mike Miller

Carlos Colon vs. Chicky Starr 

Larry Zbyszko vs. Iceman Parsons

The British Bombers w/Skandor Akbar vs. The Rose Cousins

Buzz Sawyer vs. The Missing Link

The Dragon Kings vs. Sweet Dreams

and

Tony 'Simply the Best' St. Clair vs. The World's Strongest Man Bill Kazmaier