Pro Wrestling Only

Becky Lynch

Grimmas

Discuss here.

MoS said:

"Extremely short run, but she deserves consideration just for what she did in terms of forcing her way into a Wrestlemania main event, and becoming the first woman in WWE to be the top star of the company. She is not very athletic or fluid, but she is a very good ring general; she knows exactly where to be and how to keep the parts moving. She is also excellent at showing fire and wrestling like she is in the fight of her life. She is one of the best modern wrestlers at incorporating her character into her matches, which keeps the crowd with her. She has a special connection with the fans, which helps elevate her matches into being more memorable, something that stands out in current WWE. "

30 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Let's not forget that Becky Lynch was one of the best teenage wrestlers ever and her short time in Shimmer proved that. Just an outstanding wrestler who got it IMMEDIATELY!

It's been years since I watched the discs, but she was the standout on the ECCW shows I saw before she even made it to Shimmer.

I don't know if I'll end up deep diving in to her previous work but she has always been the least interesting worker out of the Sasha/Bailey/Charlotte/Becky group that put women's wrestling in a different light to mainstream WWE fans. I think Becky's been really good but never connected with me on a level were I want to seek out more from her or get that invested in her matches (were she's not working Sasha or Bailey).

No chance of making my 100 unless I go back and realize I was missing "it", once I take into account her early work.

I've always described Becky as an interesting case because her biggest strength as a worker when she was one of the hottest young female acts coming up was stuff she very rarely gets to use in WWE: She was an amazing at mat exchanges early in her career, some real fun stuff with Daizee Haze in Shimmer, and watching her (before the age of 20) work the mat was a joy, and I love me some good mat work exchanges and chess match stuff. The only real chance we've ever gotten to see that in WWE was really the Sasha match, which would be in my top 5/10 of the 2010's. It's incredibly impressive she managed to become what she did while also generally having to completely readjust her style, as well having to take over half a decade outside of the ring.

I love her, but if she is going to make my list, it would take a strong next 5 years to get her there. All 4 of the Horsewomen are in that same situation, where they'd be in my top 200 right now, and could land in the top 100 if things break right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another fan of her SHIMMER work here. My only vision of woman wrestling during that time was WWE and the Daiee Haze vs Rebecca Knox matches were eye-opening. I missed her a lot and was happy to her comeback in NXT. The first match against Asuka I feel reflects well her mat style. It's hard to say if she well be in my list, but it's an interesting case, it depends on how she will be doing the next 5 years.

I'm puzzled when it comes to Becky. She is the most likeable when it comes to the Horsewomen but I think she is by far the worst of the four and is flat-out average on her own. During her hot run, none of her matches or individual pefrormances stood out as impressive to me - those Charlotte matches consistently underwhelmed me. Something was there but it wasn't connecting with me in a way that I connect with Sasha or Charlotte, who is the most flawed out of the 4. I really like the Sasha match in NXT and maybe the Natalya match at I think Summerslam, but it's slim pickings otherwise. 

I think Sasha and Bayley would definitely be ahead of Becky for me and even if I think Becky's the better wrestler, I prefer Charlotte's output.  

I love Becky and her rise to the top of the WWE was one of the feel good moments of the 2010s, but the in-ring is just not there for a top 100 candidate.  It's a shame for her that not only did the mania match bomb, but most of her reign.  Outside of the Sasha HIAC match, her 2019 is nothing to write home about.  

11 minutes ago, Ed. said:

I think Sasha and Bayley would definitely be ahead of Becky for me and even if I think Becky's the better wrestler, I prefer Charlotte's output.  

I love Becky and her rise to the top of the WWE was one of the feel good moments of the 2010s, but the in-ring is just not there for a top 100 candidate.  It's a shame for her that not only did the mania match bomb, but most of her reign.  Outside of the Sasha HIAC match, her 2019 is nothing to write home about.  

I don't know, the Mania match was good just the show was too long. Could had been a lot better if they didn't add Charlotte.

As for 2019, I have many more matches I LOVED: the Sasha at the Clash, and the TLC match. Then again, just saying here are great matches doesn't relate how great she was in every match. From 2015 till the pregnancy she was always top notch, and was great in 2005 early in her career. Also being behind the other horsewomen isn't a knock (even if I disagree), when they all rule too.

22 hours ago, Makai Club #1 said:

I'm puzzled when it comes to Becky. She is the most likeable when it comes to the Horsewomen but I think she is by far the worst of the four and is flat-out average on her own. During her hot run, none of her matches or individual pefrormances stood out as impressive to me - those Charlotte matches consistently underwhelmed me. Something was there but it wasn't connecting with me in a way that I connect with Sasha or Charlotte, who is the most flawed out of the 4. I really like the Sasha match in NXT and maybe the Natalya match at I think Summerslam, but it's slim pickings otherwise. 

I've only actively liked about a solid half dozen of her main roster matches. In-ring wise her comebacks and babyface fire are good stuff in routine matches but that's it.

I know her back and hips are pretty shot. At the Wrestlemania 34 (2018) afterparty she was telling people she was planning to take significant time off. But she didn't ultimately and then at Summerslam turned on Charlotte and was off the races career wise since. 

I always preferred Becky to Charlotte and Bayley. That isn't a knock on either of them. I like both, but for a while Becky felt like she was the clear "4th" among the horsewomen and I really saw her and Sasha as the strongest overall performers.  Their NXT title match might be my favorite women's match on that brand.  She has a number of good+ matches on the main and obviously hit a real stride character wise that found its way into the ring work itself in positive ways from time to time.  I liked the main even triple threat. It really needs to be watched back because that show as so draining. It almost isn't fair to judge it in the moment.

I haven't seen the early stuff. I would say Becky is among quite a few modern female wrestlers that I would like to a little dive on to see how they stack up. Some of my issue has been investment and some access (both fixable problems).  I'm not sure she gets onto my list based just on her NXT and WWE work to this point.  I probably LIKE Becky more than I see her as a legit top 100 at this moment. If it were a favorites I'd say she has a pretty good shot at the back half. Its a best, so I think she could still be in the running if her next 5 years or so are good and the early stuff holds up.

I always thought she was a great babyface worker from early 2016 to SSlam 2018 that just never got the same chances for big matches and feuds like a Charlotte, Sasha Banks or an Alexa Bliss did. Then we got "The Man" and it was off to the races from there.

One thing I don't really see brought up (and maybe it's because of how matches are prioritized for discussions like these) is how great of a promo she generally was. I don't think there was any woman on the rosters around that time who came close to her on the mic once she started really getting that push around late 2018. 

She probably won't make it on my list, but it is interesting to find someone like that who still excelled in certain ways that only a few of her peers could match, let alone top.