Pro Wrestling Only

Darby Allin

Grimmas

Nintendo Logic said:

"The best underdog of this generation. Amazing seller and lunatic bumper. One of the few guys working today who can make high-flying offense look dangerous, like he's flinging his body at opponents like a missile. Excels at spots that are creative without feeling contrived. Also excels at making it look like he's genuinely catching his opponents off-guard with his dives. Spectacular, violent, and logical-he's the total package."

Allin always seems like he's read JR's criticism of people standing around to catch anyone jumping out of the ring, and is responding to it by trying his best to make sure they DON'T catch him. It's both incredible to watch and fairly terrifying. I don't think he'd make my list currently but if he carries on as he is for 5 years then he could end up really high for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I think he has a slew of good matches on the indies before he signed with AEW, many of which at the time felt like he was overachieving.  In hindsight, not so much.  His trajectory has taken a pretty stark upward turn since becoming an AEW wrestler, particularly in 2021. He is absolutely running away with my WOTY (so far).  Now, don't worry... I'm not trying to get ahead of myself here. But there is reason to be optimistic that he could have a very solid case in 5 years. I don't even think he has to continue on this path. Honestly, if he wound up with 5 years that looked like his last 5 months, he probably be a lock top 50 at least for me, but that isn't reasonable for a variety of reasons and shouldn't be the standard. He just needs to maintain form somewhere in this vicinity of... lets say his average for the past year. 

If I were making a list today he would probably miss it. However, I can't think of anyone higher on my list of people who could make massive jumps into the last in the next 5 years.

He's a better, darker, Jeff Hardy, and I say that in the best way possible. He should look like a vanilla, "look at how edgy I am" version of Jeff, but his ringwork makes you take him seriously. His consistency have been pretty admirable since 2018, and I'm sure he's not at his peak yet. These next five years will be very important for him, and AEW should put the trigger on him for the main title sooner than later. The potential for a high position in a 2036 GWE is there, iykwim.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, Tetsujin said:

He's a better, darker, Jeff Hardy, and I say that in the best way possible. He should look like a vanilla, "look at how edgy I am" version of Jeff, but his ringwork makes you take him seriously. His consistency have been pretty admirable since 2018, and I'm sure he's not at his peak yet. These next five years will be very important for him, and AEW should put the trigger on him for the main title sooner than later. The potential for a high position in a 2036 GWE is there, iykwim.

I think the counter to the Jeff Hardy comparison is, at least more consistently, Jeff has been a wrestler that compels rooting for him in his matches and feuds while Darby usually feels like someone who you wonder if his controlled recklessness will eek him out a rare victory this time. Not necessarily a bad thing for Darby to not quite have Jeff's uniquely sympathetic aura but I do think that aura is a big reason why I wouldn't say Darby = Jeff upgraded.

Might be the best TV worker in the world today, and certainly one of the top contenders for the same in the last 2-3 years. Along with PAC, he is one of the very very few high flyers who makes it look like his shit genuinely hurts his opponents. He feels like he is genuinely using his body as a weapon with his high flying, unlike a lot of other high flyers, who look like they are executing athletic feats and stunt moves. There is a feeling of violence that emanates from him, something that does not happen with others of his ilk, and also which cannot possibly be beneficial for his health. Also quite underrated as a mat worker, I believe he has some amateur wrestling credentials, which might have something to do with it 

On 12/11/2022 at 3:46 AM, Thrifty said:

I think the counter to the Jeff Hardy comparison is, at least more consistently, Jeff has been a wrestler that compels rooting for him in his matches and feuds while Darby usually feels like someone who you wonder if his controlled recklessness will eek him out a rare victory this time. Not necessarily a bad thing for Darby to not quite have Jeff's uniquely sympathetic aura but I do think that aura is a big reason why I wouldn't say Darby = Jeff upgraded.

I can see that. I was trying to say that Darby is better than Jeff at the things they share, but overall Jeff had this more sympatethic underdog aura, while Darby is still treated by both the crowd and AEW as the guy you want to see almost dying in insane ways. Still, I don't think that affects the "Darby>Jeff" statement.