Pro Wrestling Only

Kintaro Oki

Grimmas

GOTNW said:

"I'm reserving judgement on what caliber of a worker he was in a comparative and historical sense, but I can say he is an absolute lock for my list. If you like workers in the Choshu tradition (like Kensuke Sasaki, Ishii or the BJW strong guys), Tenryu and the W.A.R. style, Fit Finlay, or even older workers Johnny Valentine and Wahoo McDaniel, I think you absolutely owe it to yourself to check out his work and give him a shot. His tight style and brawling attract immediate attention, but he is a skilled matworker too. Plus, how can you dislike a wrestler who worked a gimmick based on how hard his head was?"

He looks absolutely phenomenal in the Inoki match. Everything else I've seen him in has been solid to good, although I was hoping to find more like that performance. I know a weird guy who insists his match vs. Abby is the best thing AJPW did in the 70s. Apparently he was a big star in South Korea and I have a feint hope to see some of that stuff be unearthed sometime.

I watched the matches against Inoki, Baba & Abdullah and I liked all of them so much. The Inoki one is the  best but they're all worth your time. Definitely interested in looking at more of his stuff. I dunno if he's a candidate yet, but I really like this style of wrestling.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:30 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

That Inoki match is so good. There's gotta be something else. He can't just be a one match wonder. 

There's an excellent Baba/Jumbo vs Oki/Kim Duk from 10/28/76 that is just a super hateful tag you'd much more associate with the Choshu or Jumbo vs Misawa eras that is definitely a must see. They have a rematch on 12/9/76 that is around the same level.

Yeah, those tags are great. I actually think it was you proselytizing about them on a different message board a while back that made me check them out. 

There's also a 1977 Jumbo singles match from his Trial Series that popped up on YouTube at literally the very end of 2020 (in my timezone, at least). It's not major but it's worth seeing.

I have a singles match with Baba on the rec list but can't remember anything about it. There were a lot of Baba/Jumbo vs Oki/Duk tags and the two from 1976 were the only ones that stood out at all, but they were awesome. Otherwise I have this: 

7/6/79 Giant Baba-Rocky Hata vs. Kintaro Oki-Moose Morowski       Recommended

and that seems really hard to believe to my eyes now. I must have been in a good mood that day or something.

2 hours ago, strobogo said:

There's an excellent Baba/Jumbo vs Oki/Kim Duk from 10/28/76 that is just a super hateful tag you'd much more associate with the Choshu or Jumbo vs Misawa eras that is definitely a must see. They have a rematch on 12/9/76 that is around the same level.

The 10/76 match is awesome. Kind of surreal watching Jumbo and Baba go after Kim Duk's nose like that, and Jumbo was downright rude to Joe. Those kids mugging for the camera at the end were hilarious, especially when one of them falls on the commentator. 

I don't think I had ever watched that tag before, and it was great fun. It was more of a showcase for pissed off young Jumbo and even for Kim Duk than it was for Oki, but you sure get the sense that he understood how to be at the the heart of some mayhem. 

I don't think they looked bad. The JBA were the only ones that had a proper run, though, I guess. 

Man, the Abdullah vs. Oki matches are everything you'd want them to be. I'm watching the second one right now and Oki attacking Abby's ribs with headbutts is incredible. I have to believe Yoshiaki Fujiwara saw these matches and thought they were the greatest thing ever. 

I also watched a crappy Animal Hamaguchi match. Animal Hamaguchi sucks. He's the kind of guy you assume must be good because of his name. Did he ever have a good match aside from the one against Jumbo?

6 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I don't think they looked bad. The JBA were the only ones that had a proper run, though, I guess. 

Man, the Abdullah vs. Oki matches are everything you'd want them to be. I'm watching the second one right now and Oki attacking Abby's ribs with headbutts is incredible. I have to believe Yoshiaki Fujiwara saw these matches and thought they were the greatest thing ever. 

I also watched a crappy Animal Hamaguchi match. Animal Hamaguchi sucks. He's the kind of guy you assume must be good because of his name. Did he ever have a good match aside from the one against Jumbo?

1/3/85 Riki Choshu-Animal Hamaguchi vs. Genichiro Tenryu-Motoshi Okuma     Bloody Highly Recommended

4/21/85 Genichiro Tenryu-Takashi Ishikawa vs. Animal Hamaguchi-Riki Choshu       Highly Recommended

6/2/85 Animal Hamaguchi-Riki Choshu-Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. Genichiro Tenryu-Jumbo Tsuruta-Motoshi Okuma       Highly Recommended

6/4/85 Genichiro Tenryu-Takashi Ishikawa vs. Animal Hamaguchi-Riki Choshu     Joined in progress, bloody Highly Recommended
6/21/85 Animal Hamaguchi-Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. Jumbo Tsuruta-Takashi Ishikawa       Highly Recommended

I have a number of other tags around the same time as recommended. Singles wise, the Jumbo match in the AJPW vs JPW series is the only singles match even in the Archive since 

9/26/73 Animal Hamaguchi vs. Mighty Inoue       Recommended

So it's hard to judge him as a singles guy  but he ends up doing much of the work inIshin Gundan tags

^ Looking forward to this match.

Gotta say, I've really enjoyed every single Kintaro Oki match I've watched thus far. I wasn't expecting him to be the first "unknown" (to me) guy I really explored but I've just sort of stumbled into it and keep seeing matches I like. Thanks to everyone for these recs. 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:32 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

He's part of the amazing 6/26/90 ten-man, but New Japan multi-mans are basically a cheat code.

• 8 months later...