Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - November 19, 2021

MoS

Honestly, Billy's always been a low key favorite of mine. He's not the greatest wrestler or anything, but the way he just goes full gusto in whatever he's doing with that big dumb puppy energy he has. I kinda feel like he gets a bad rap because he's been adjacent to people with stroke despite not having any of said stroke himself. 

CM Punk v. QT Matshall?? I know it's Thanksgiving and TK usually takes he hiday and pre-empted episodes as a break and does random shit in those episodes, but really? Punk v. Marshall, 4 days after Darby v. Billy? Someone check on the quality of his coke, surely he isn't getting some fake stuff.

I know "Lul Tony Khan is doing coke" is the new gimmick posting thing around here, but really what's so bad about it ? It gives CM Punk someone to beat in Chicago (as opposed to Colt who's going to get beat in Chicago), there will probably be some angle advancement with MJF. People complain about "too much epic matches on TV" then you serve a JTTS match and they'll complain too. :wacko: Plus, in a night were they are gonna get killed in ratings anyway, there's no point to give Punk a big time opponent as it would reflect poorly. So there it is. It's Punk winning a (good, a always with QT who's a really good worker and also gets heat everytime) match in Chicago during a cool-down period (next TV special night is on December 15) on a garanteed ratings death night. Makes all the sense in the world actually.

Billy Gunn looks like the freaking Warlord and moves about as fast, but him throwing Darby around was about as compelling a Billy Gunn match you'll see past 2005 or so (and I'm feeling generous).

Jade & Velvet are both obviously still green, especially Jade, but they had a cool match, one of the better Jade ones yet. Love them both, Velvet is always quite the sparkplugg and you gotta love her bumping and fire.

Gotta say this : I have loved every Bobby Fish match thus far. This guy is a keeper. Salty old guy with a grin kicking the fuck out of people is all you need.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

I know "Lul Tony Khan is doing coke" is the new gimmick posting thing around here, but really what's so bad about it ? It gives CM Punk someone to beat in Chicago (as opposed to Colt who's going to get beat in Chicago), there will probably be some angle advancement with MJF. People complain about "too much epic matches on TV" then you serve a JTTS match and they'll complain too. :wacko: Plus, in a night were they are gonna get killed in ratings anyway, there's no point to give Punk a big time opponent as it would reflect poorly. So there it is. It's Punk winning a (good, a always with QT who's a really good worker and also gets heat everytime) match in Chicago during a cool-down period (next TV special night is on December 15) on a garanteed ratings death night. Makes all the sense in the world actually.

This is a lot of rambling to try and justify QT getting some further undeserved TV time instead of a JTTS they could actually push later. Notice how no one wanted a star v. star match or was trying to argue there shouldn't be jobbers on the show. You are arguing against imaginary points here. It does require some very bad coke to give QT that spotlight in Chicago after the start of a hot program, and it takes even worse coke to justify it with "putting someone else will make them look bad because they are going to do bad in the ratings!" This is true head-scratching WWE brain thinking, to justify not featuring someone good cuz they might be unfairly scapegoated by idiots. 

Actually, it's neither rambling neither "WWE brain" (from me of all people, that's pretty fucking hilarious considering my watching track record in the last 20 years), but hey, whatever. Apparently whenever QT or Matt Hardy get on TV you are triggered as all hell as you endlessly have to point out each and every week how much you hate them and want them out of the show forever, but, really, neither are bad and QT vs CM Punk is exactly what I said it is, just a guy for CM Punk to beat on a rating's death show in Chicago. And yeah, the hot program will probably get an angle too that week, I guess. It might not be the greatest booking trick of all time, but it's nothing bad either. Not enough to warrant the "OMG Tony Khan is doing so much coke he's booking QT on TV" kinda reaction really...

27 minutes ago, MoS said:

it takes even worse coke to justify it with "putting someone else will make them look bad because they are going to do bad in the ratings!" 

QT is not making anyone look bad. That's not what I said. QT is a very good worker and always gets heat. In Chicago against CM Punk, he sure gonna get even more of it. Sorry, but instead of talking about me "arguing against imaginary points", which I have not done (I just explained what the probable thinking behind this is), try to understand what I'm going for here. I know you can't stand QT (why, who the fuck knows and it's irrelevant), but the point is not to book Punk against someone who will make them look bad, which would be dumb, it's not giving away a big marquee match (for instance Wardlow) on a night that will not do well anyway. And a nice little JTTS match against someone who is designed for that role won't hurt anyone. Sure, you could have booked another JTTS, but QT is fine for the reasons I already explained three times already (good worker, gets heat).

QT had a Dark match with Darby before the PPV where he cut a pre-match promo lauding MJF and saying he offered to soften Darby up for him so this sort of tracks story-wise. Not sure why he wouldn’t throw Comoroto at him instead. It was interesting Punk mentioned Ogogo who hadn’t been mentioned for months and is almost healthy enough to come back.

30 minutes ago, El-P said:

Actually, it's neither rambling neither "WWE brain" (from me of all people, that's pretty fucking hilarious considering my watching track record in the last 20 years),

It was actually funny to me precisely for that reason. I wanted to make a joke about how you finally forgiving all those Wrestlemania self-conscious epics had evidently finally made you a part of the WWE Universe

43 minutes ago, El-P said:

QT is not making anyone look bad. That's not what I said. QT is a very good worker and always gets heat. In Chicago against CM Punk, he sure gonna get even more of it. Sorry, but instead of talking about me "arguing against imaginary points", which I have not done (I just explained what the probable thinking behind this is), try to understand what I'm going for here. I know you can't stand QT (why, who the fuck knows and it's irrelevant), but the point is not to book Punk against someone who will make them look bad, which would be dumb, it's not giving away a big marquee match (for instance Wardlow) on a night that will not do well anyway. And a nice little JTTS match against someone who is designed for that role won't hurt anyone. Sure, you could have booked another JTTS, but QT is fine for the reasons I already explained three times already (good worker, gets heat).

What are you even talking about. I didn't say you said QT will make him look bad. I was talking about you justifying this booking instead of a match with a young JTTS or a big star with "If they booked Punk against a high-profile opponent and the ratings are bad due to Thanksgiving, then the opponent and the match will look bad", which is exactly how WWE fans often justify bad matchups. Your other points I have no issue with, cuz you just like watching QT far more than I do. 

48 minutes ago, MoS said:

It was actually funny to me precisely for that reason. I wanted to make a joke about how you finally forgiving all those Wrestlemania self-conscious epics had evidently finally made you a part of the WWE Universe

Damn ! :lol:

40 minutes ago, MoS said:

I was talking about you justifying this booking instead of a match with a young JTTS or a big star with "If they booked Punk against a high-profile opponent and the ratings are bad due to Thanksgiving, then the opponent and the match will look bad", which is exactly how WWE fans often justify bad matchups.

Ok fair enough. But really that was not the main point, that's just a guess on my part and you know what, maybe that one is because of following WWE politics for far too long. :ph34r:

My main point is that basically it's fine. Nothing coked up about it. If Windham Rotundo would show up and beat Hangman Page, then yeah, the white powder argument would apply.

Isn't Ogogo an anti-vax lunatic? So fuck that guy. Glad he got "Codyed" (which is a bullshit ICW thing anyway, because Cody has made everyone he's ever stepped into the ring a better wrestler who has shined brighter after being in his luminescent light - including and especially Malakai Black). 

I'll go one step further and say Brandi is a better character than most (not all) of the women on their roster! They could learn a lot from all the little things she knows how to do so well.

6 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Being anti-vax doesn't mean shit if you're having to fly in to the US 

Meaning what exactly? That he'd be forced to vax up? Not quite sure what you're trying to say.

If he does have to get vaxxed, good - one less ignorant asshole running around spreading a contagious disease. 

12 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Yes. He can't travel from the UK to the US without being vaccinated. 

Not to mention they are super strict about it too. People in the UK who got their vaxx in clinical trials that for all intents and purposes just as effective as the "official" vaxx and still aren't being allowed to travel. 

11 hours ago, C.S. said:

Isn't Ogogo an anti-vax lunatic? So fuck that guy. Glad he got "Codyed" (which is a bullshit ICW thing anyway, because Cody has made everyone he's ever stepped into the ring a better wrestler who has shined brighter after being in his luminescent light - including and especially Malakai Black). 

Totally agree, I always defended Cody on the fact he has done nothing but make people during his entire stint.

However the Ogogo feud was the first time Cody fell on his face and really was the start of the Codyverse thingy. Hence, Codyed.

BTW, what have been the benefits of Rhodes to the Top ? I've heard no hype at all, ratings have not gone up (actually came down but that's the West Coast thing), no apparent mainstream or gain in female viewers either... So, apart from fucking up the image of Cody to the AEW crowd which make things kinda fun in a bizarre way, apparently this was exactly what everybody here said it would be : a bad idea.

8 hours ago, El-P said:

BTW, what have been the benefits of Rhodes to the Top ? I've heard no hype at all, ratings have not gone up (actually came down but that's the West Coast thing), no apparent mainstream or gain in female viewers either... So, apart from fucking up the image of Cody to the AEW crowd which make things kinda fun in a bizarre way, apparently this was exactly what everybody here said it would be : a bad idea.

I don't entirely agree.

You're right in that there's been no real gain that I can see.

But there's been no real loss either.

At worst, it's cancelled after one season and everyone forgets about it.

Exactly what I've been saying this whole time.

To me, it's no risk if it doesn't work and all reward if it does. 

The exposure, if there's any, can't harm AEW - it can only help. If non-fans are still indifferent to AEW after this, no loss from before.