AEW Dynamite - January 12, 2022

MoS

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MoS said:

I would honestly put the title on Garcia right now, it's an interim, it doesn't matter, and boy is he WORKING tonight

Bryan Alvarez made a great case for this recently, his argument being that every once in a while someone should lose a title right after winning it so that the early title defenses have some suspense, and this was the right time to do it.

Fans chanted for Eddie, so hopefully Jericho doesn't try and work as babyface in their inevitable feud. 

Weird episode. Every match felt like a setup for something else, and Archer is clearly evoking mixed emotions. There was some great stuff throughout though

12 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Get Black away from those jobbers now that King is here. He's spent wayyyyyyy too much time doing stuff that did nothing to his standing.

I think the Varsity Blondes stuff has all been to set up Black and King murdering them in their team debut.

I thought the episode was mostly transitional, but I liked a lot of the moves.

I've been a fan of Archer's ever since he went on that hot streak in New Japan in 2019. I think he's a great guy to give Page a fun Dynamite title match before he moves on to whoever the opponent is at Revolution.

I'm a huge Brodie King fan, and in particular, I've found he's an awesome tag team worker (his stuff with PCO was fabulous). Very in for him and Malakai as a team and into them vs basically any of the high end tag teams AEW has. 

I also like that they're not screwing around too much with the Elite angle - feels like we're going to get to Young Bucks-ReDragon real soon to kickstart things. Wild that almost five years later they're finally circling back to what was supposed to be the big Elite angle (Kenny vs. Cole), which got nixed when Cole went to NXT. 

Daniel Garcia is so great. Give me the Garcia and HOOK team that we know will kickstart the wrestling boom.

Mixed episode all in all but I like the slow set-ups to a lot of what they're doing but I can take or leave Archer being Page's first challenger. It seems like Khan is going to book his babyface World Champs to beat a monster in their first defence (Moxley had Brodie, right?) but if they're going that route, I'd rather they brought The Titan in for a few months with EC3 as the mouthpiece and have Page slay him. As for House of Black, feels like they're hinting at Pac joining but I'm going to guess they swerve with that. On the subject of putting people together, Cole and Baker being together felt a little forced as I don't think they really need each other to stay over but I suppose it's been mentioned so much and it's common knowledge, they should probably have each other's back on TV, at least.

Oh yeah, Brodie King debuting was good stuff too. I feel like the last two weeks have definitely had a renewed focus on the depth of the tag division; almost everyone is in a team and almost everyone is mentioning going for the belts. I think we're about ready for an enormous tag tournament.

13 hours ago, Loss said:

Obviously, the dream for AEW would be getting Cena to promote Wipeout on Dynamite.

Been thinking about this lately. Cena has ties to Warnermedia through Wipeout and Peacemaker, so it would make sense from a business perspective. I’m sure Cena has some loyalty to Vince McMahon as do a lot of wrestlers. If Vince passes away or sells the company I wonder if any of that loyalty would carry over to the WWE brand? Some might still feel a sense of loyalty to Stephanie, Shane, or HHH if they are in charge but if there are new owners I think there’s a better chance we could see someone like Cena show up. 

Sammy's leg slap on his GTS whatever is so atrocious and blatant and the cameras basically zoom in on it every time he hits that move which doesn't eve n look good to begin with, but also is not a move that would need or benefit from the leg slap sound. No one else does a leg slap for GTS variants. It just looked awful and always looks awful and he should really at least drop the leg slap part of it, but I think he should drop the move altogether. 

Dynamite had a great week in the ratings, but if I was them, I would be trying to fix the issues with losing women so strongly to WWE. And based on traditional ratings patterns, having more women on TV or more prominent women's wrestling has basically nothing to do with it. Men respond more to that, but women don't. 

In summer and fall 2014, WWE ratings actually collapsed a lot with their traditional audience, but the drop was softened some because of crossover fans from Total Divas. For whatever reason, to this day, most of those fans have stuck around. Rhodes To The Top isn't the type of thing that's going to work there, but I appreciate that they're at least trying to copy what worked. If I was them, I'd sign Lana/CJ and pair her with Miro on TV, but more than that, I'd try to use her to get in front of a different audience. She should have her own clothing line and fragrances. I'm thinking of the Bellas here because that was the most recent case that really worked. Maybe Lana is the right person, maybe she isn't, but she seems like a good option. They should probably also hire Renee Paquette if she's willing to come in and actually cultivate the interviewer role as someone wrestlers aim to avoid because she asks tough questions. We need a modern Mean Gene.

It also may help to have more sex and romance, and more relationship drama. They don't have to be WWE, but they could at least be Tatum, Gilbert and Missy in the UWF.