Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 04/04 - 04/10 VEER IS HERE

KawadaSmile

31 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Everyone else gets a free pass for this shit, but because it's Cody and not an in-ring darling like Bryan Danielson, it's suddenly a grievous sin for a pro wrestler to cut a pro wrestling promo and try to capture the emotions of the fans

When Bryan was fighting back tears when Regal was praising him, I 100% believed it was real emotion. When Cody came out last night it looked like he was trying to force it out, and it didn't look genuine. Which is wild, because he was talking about his deceased legendary father who I don't doubt was legit his hero.  That's why Cody gets called out for it because it just doesn't come off as real emotion, especially after he spent a weekend doing the carniest of carny interviews.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said that, it will definitely work well in WWE since fans there rarely get to see any kind of emotion in promos so it won't matter as much if it comes off a little actor-y. In AEW, fans see people cut from the heart promos practically every week so if you aren't sounding 100% real they're not going to buy it. Which I think was Cody's entire problem there. 

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

It's pro wrestling. They're actors.

Everyone else gets a free pass for this shit, but because it's Cody and not an in-ring darling like Bryan Danielson, it's suddenly a grievous sin for a pro wrestler to cut a pro wrestling promo and try to capture the emotions of the fans.

The crowd ate it up last night. That's all that matters. 

The things is that Cody goes for the teary-eyed promo way too often. Once or twice, yeah, it's cool, but when he's doing it more constantly, you start to be used to it and notice how they follow a pattern. It's like when Leo DiCaprio (who I strongly dislike as an actor) saw how well-received his scene in Django Unchained in which he fucked up his hand for real was, and thought "what if I do that *every single movie*?"

Dude is just screaming shit and after a while I just start to roll my eyes. 

Does it work for the crowd? Yeah, he's still popular and hasn't been involved in a box-office bomb in forever, but it's still kinda bad.

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

The things is that Cody goes for the teary-eyed promo way too often.

It's a new company though.

WWE has this weird contradictory philosophy where they assume no one in their audience has ever seen AEW and yet Cody was brought back with his AEW character fully intact.

8 minutes ago, C.S. said:

WWE has this weird contradictory philosophy where they assume no one in their audience has ever seen AEW and yet Cody was brought back with his AEW character fully intact.

They always had that petty mentality. Nobody would know who Cactus Jack was. Nobody would know who AJ Styles was.

With Cody, the irony is even greater since he's coming straight from the pissant company which is not competition (unless we're talking about the MLW lawsuit, in which case they are), where no one is a star because only WWE guys can be star. Of course he gets a huge reaction using the entire AEW presentation (which makes the whole drama about the Hardy's theme even funnier) and now WWE stans are stuck in a double bind contradiction.:lol: 

4 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Was there drama about the Hardys theme? Did people not know it was just a random production theme that's been used on TV in non-wrestling contexts for 20 years? 

"Bouhou it's not fair, they are using Hardy's WWE theme that's why they get great reaction, they can't do anything of their own, it's like CM Punk, they are just stealing WWE's former stars and even use their music."

Yeah. It was real.

7 minutes ago, El-P said:

"Bouhou it's not fair, they are using Hardy's WWE theme that's why they get great reaction, they can't do anything of their own, it's like CM Punk, they are just stealing WWE's former stars and even use their music."

Yeah. It was real.

I have never seen that or anything remotely close to that. Wild times, bubba.

Punk really should have used his superior theme, though. THIS FIRE BURNS is top tier stuff.

32 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I have never seen that or anything remotely close to that. Wild times, bubba.

I mean, that's obviously the stupidest of the stupids. These people do exist...

Can the believe the negative IQ (I mean, the entire post is mind-blowingly stupid on so many levels)? :lol:

As far as Cody's emotional promo goes, he was already overdoing it in AEW. Sure, he's in a fresh environment now, but like the reaction at Mania showed, it's not like people don't watch both shows and aren't just "wrestling fans" too. As long as it's working for him, good for him I guess. That being said, after all the years of speaking 'bout Revolution and changing the business and shit and crying about it, crying *again* because of the WWE title (which isn't linked to his father's legacy in anyway shape of form) really makes his promos sound shallow as hell and over-performative. 

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

Was there drama about the Hardys theme? Did people not know it was just a random production theme that's been used on TV in non-wrestling contexts for 20 years? 

There's drama about everything on Twitter, no matter what.

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

It's pro wrestling. They're actors.

Everyone else gets a free pass for this shit, but because it's Cody and not an in-ring darling like Bryan Danielson, it's suddenly a grievous sin for a pro wrestler to cut a pro wrestling promo and try to capture the emotions of the fans.

The crowd ate it up last night. That's all that matters. 

Like @sek69 said, let's see where he is in six months. That could go either way, knowing WWE.

I have been one of Cody's biggest fans. I think his promo run in 2018-19 is all-time classic. He's been running the same playbook with diminishing results for the last two years. Now, is it going to work for some people who haven't seen it, have seen less of it, or just really enjoy it? Yes. It might even get him to the top of WWE. He did this angle with Nick Aldis and I have never seen a crowd as hot as they were for Cody at All In, or as emotional. It may be an incredibly smart choice to manufacture a way to use it again. But if you've seen this guy cry because he's fulfilled the legacy of his father by winning the NWA title, it's a little weird to go back to that well and say "Nah, that wasn't the belt that mattered, it's this one instead!"

Twitter is full of weirdos who post dumb shit. It's not indicative of all fans of WWE. I saw AEW fans on Twitter freaking out on Cody for showing up at Mania and one guy posted a video of him burning his AEW Cody T-shirt. That's not indicative of all AEW fans, that too is just some Twitter weirdos. And it's not as if people only watch one promotion or the other. That's overblown. Most fans posting online and in the live crowds probably watch at least some of both. I know I do.

1 hour ago, Migs said:

But if you've seen this guy cry because he's fulfilled the legacy of his father by winning the NWA title, it's a little weird to go back to that well and say "Nah, that wasn't the belt that mattered, it's this one instead!"

True, but to be fair, I don't consider the current NWA Title to be the same one Dusty won. They're not even in the same ballpark, no matter what the company and its fans may claim.