Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - April 27/29, 2022

Timbo Slice

Did Page get Covid, or did he get Punked? :) 

Seriously though, wishing both Hangman and @sek69 speedy recoveries.

*Lance Archer vs. Wardlow

Should be a fun match with Wardlow winning and continuing on towards MJF. 

* Hikaru Shida vs. Serena Deeb in a Philly Street Fight

Digging this feud and I think this may be the 2nd best match of the night. 

* The Young Bucks, Adam Cole, Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish vs. The Varsity Blondes, Dante Martin, Brock Anderson and Lee Johnson

The Elites are winning, but we will see any more signs of issues between them or anything to move forward their story?

* AAA & ROH World Tag Team Champions FTR face off against each other in a qualifier for The Owen Hart Foundation Men’s Tournament, with CM Punk on commentary

Glad to see some of the Owen Hart qualifying matches be more than just glorified squashes/Dark type matches. Match of the night and while it may not mean much in the long run it will be great. 

* AEW TNT Champion Sammy Guevara defends against Scorpio Sky in a Ladder Match

This feud is still going? They are going to turn Dan Lambert face. lol 

I don’t honestly know if they are even going to really play into the heel/face thing with this angle. It might just end up being a rivalry between The Elite and The Undisputed and TK lets the fans decide who to cheer for.

Look at the BCC. They kind of started out as a potential heel faction, with a Danielson having turned heel on Hangman originally and then acting all aggressive, and insulting the fans etc. But since Regal showed up, they certainly haven’t been getting a heel reaction from the fans, and I don’t know that they ever will. People seem to love Moxley, and honestly what “smart” wrestling fan is going to boo William Regal?

TK seems to just let the fans choose who they’re going to boo or cheer based on the scenario. Hell, last week Dan Lambert of all damn people seemed to be getting cheered over Sammy.

I am not saying I like that, I prefer when the roles are clearly defined and obvious, but that does not always seem to apply in AEW. There are exceptions, like the Punk/MJF deal, but aside from that AEW seems to be a bit more… nuanced I guess. That’s modern wrestling for you, it has its pluses and minuses.

But at the same time, I’m fine with reassessing what the reactions are and booking that way as opposed to shoehorning something just because you need roles to be defined. It also forces the wrestler to be more creative and think on their feet, which leads to more organic reactions. The “outline” vs. “scripted” approach. 

Would have preferred a bit less hesitation and drama, but kudos to them for managing to work a good match without getting overtly heelish. Crowd did not want to boo either so they just chanted for FTR. Crazy how popular these two have become in a matter of weeks. 

13 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Wasn't Fenix supposed to be healed up and ready for action like 3 months ago

A lot of folks assumed because his injury wasn't as bad as it looked, he would be back quicker. It's still not really 100% clear if he's going to make it for the match with Vikingo vs the Bucks for Triplemania this weekend yet and they've been promoting that match for a while (then again AAA is gonna AAA no matter what).