Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 7/6 and 7/8 - Let the Summer of Doldrums Begin

Timbo Slice

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I really haven't noticed any difference short of maybe lesser stamina, but he's been mostly in tag matches. 

He’s very heavy-looking, even by the standards of his physique. I’m not sure if he gained weight or lost muscle mass, but he has a noticeably less athletic look, at least to me.

Dynamite kept steady in 18-49 and lost minimal total viewers, which is a great sign for it. I think it really goes through peaks and valleys, in a very cyclical way, and after a rough last couple of months, AEW seems to have upwards momentum again. I think a fresher focus on angles and storyline-based segments is really helping. It feels more like episodic television again, and not a weekly assortment of indie matches. Also no longer relying on "OMG someone DEBUTED!!" and "OMG backstage attack!!" is helping the booking

Orange Cassidy vs. Tony Nese was fucking great. The evolution of Cassidy from comedy guy to serious guy that's going on right now is perfect. He's still the same character with the same silly shit, but it's being all rearranged to get him over as a legit threat. " Jane" is the best entrance music going, and signifies the change going on. The announcers have been pushing that his gimmick is mind games, not that he's just a "Chill guy who does indy shit". And let's not forget Nese. He turned out to be a hell of a pickup. He's fucking good. Even the Danhausen/ Sterling stuff was perfect, but they need to drop the " Smart" from Sterling's name. " Smart Mark" is such a High School Gym indy show gimmick. Mark Sterling Esquire or something like that would be so much better.

I’m also digging Nese as your arrogant midcard heel that can hold up his end in the ring. See the guys name on the TV card and you know you’re probably getting a solid 10 minute match. Agreed on Jane too; that genuinely feels like the missing piece that could propel him further. I love any time the ECW mark in Tony Khan pushes him to license music for people.

As a catch-all now that work is going to see me fall behind; I thought Forbidden Door was out of this world great and, even it’s poorer moments were propped up by the insane crowd. Blood and Guts was hit and miss and probably too long but there were so many running threads and nods to history that I loved it in the end. Excalibur and Schiavone do a great job of bringing up moments in AEW where people have feuded or interacted before in times like this. It really does feel that the company is beginning to have a past and defining rivalries that they can go back to. Claudio is a superstar pick-up at a time where they needed him the most and I just hope there’s a plan for him beyond this initial period. Going to Kingston is a situation where neither should lose but I do wonder if Punk/Claudio is the tentative plan for Arthur Ashe with Punk/Moxley being the All Out main event. Either way, whoever said this is beginning to feel like last summer again nailed it. The crowds are getting really hot which helps but even things like The Acclaimed/Ass Boys stuff is good midcard work. Feels like all the belts are in the right places for them to move forward and have a good push into the autumn. 

Also, Rampage is the best hour of wrestling in god knows how long. What a consistently good hour that is 

I never get to see Rampage or else I probably would talk about it. I work every Friday night, but I guess I could download it or find a way to watch it. The high praise has me intrigued. Allan doesn't come out of the woodwork too often anymore!

Rampage is a really good show that I feel consistently delivers week to week especially with straight up in-ring action. Case in point, this weeks Eddie Kingston vs. Konosuke Takeshita match. It was 15 minutes of them just beating the ever living crap out of each other. Last week with the Royal Rampage was really fun and I like that they use Rampage to experiment with different things like that too.

2 hours ago, Coffey said:

I never get to see Rampage or else I probably would talk about it. I work every Friday night, but I guess I could download it or find a way to watch it. The high praise has me intrigued. Allan doesn't come out of the woodwork too often anymore!

It's a breeze to watch most weeks and never goes much longer than 52 mins via the FITE stream (commercial free) - It's my go to show if I have a busy week and only have time for a small wrestling fix.