Pro Wrestling Only

WWE SummerSlam 2022

Coffey

46 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Logan Paul vs. Volk Han would be dimes.

Volk Han vs any given wrestler would be great. We need more Volk Han types.

12 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

I'd go with "biggest embarrassment". This was the match with the most mainstream exposure, the one they show highlights of, and all it did was reinforce negative perceptions of this "bullshit fakery". A giant mousetrap is what The World Was Watching. I can't stress that enough. Our sport is still so poorly understood by people, and we gave them Lowest Common Denominator (with the Jackass choads, of all the choads) on the Grandest Stage of Them All. Star ratings be damned - all that the lapsed or non-fans saw was the comedic "highlights".

"Here's some pro-wrestling bullshit to laugh at!" is not exactly putting our best foot forward.

Not embarassing, really. I really don't think someone is more likely to start watching wrestling after watching your standard 20-minute main event or deathmatch bullshit than they would with Johnny Knoxville vs Sami Zayn. Likewise, someone who has a negative perception of pro wrestling wouldn't see much of a difference between Eddie Kingston vs Jericho and that match. Maybe they got more laughs at the WM match, but they would still be thinking the same thing.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this whole conversation is my fault, can I just say that my objection to Logan Paul isn't about "paying his dues" or whatever nonsense. My issue is more in relation to kayfabe and presentation.

Just the idea that if anyone can walk in off the street (athletic looking or not) and be able to immediately perform the moves that all these full-time career wrestlers supposedly (or actually) have spent their entire lives perfecting... why should I be impressed with any wrestler ever again? What's so hard about it if anyone can do it? What am I paying these people for?

I know as well as you that wrestling is more than just movez and etc., but that's not my point.

It's Shane McMahon all over again. This guy who is not a trained wrestler out-wrestling an Olympic level wrestler just because he happens to be Vince's kid makes no logical sense. A random with no wrestling experience being able to do the amount of shit Logan Paul did in his first match makes no sense. That's my point.

And I even said in the first place, it DOES fit in with WWE the way it is presented at the moment because they are post-kayfabe and post-everything and are just a corporatized travelling circus putting smiles on faces. Whatever. But it's also just not what I want out of wrestling.

Logan Paul went the distance with Floyd Mayweather. Him being able to pick up on wrestling isn't absurd. 

The Shane comparison is one I am not sure works because he was taking down and outwrestling an actual olympic gold medalist. I love Miz, but if there is one dude who makes others look very athletic, as least in terms of mobility, it's him. We saw Bad Bunny move around him, and now Logan Paul - who is essentially an athlete, but made fame as an YouTuber.

4 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Logan Paul went the distance with Floyd Mayweather. Him being able to pick up on wrestling isn't absurd.

That's fair, I honestly couldn't remember if the boxer was him or his brother or both.

Like, in this instance I'll probably end up eating my words since he's signing full-time and will be around for a while and by the look of it is a natural. It was more just the principle. It may have been a point better made when he was at Wrestlemania, but I didn't watch Mania so this is all new to me.

It also speaks to a wider point about them having to bring celebrities in and train them to wrestle because they can't make their own stars, but that's on me since I'm basically in TEW mode with WWE booking and I can't turn it off.