Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/10 - 10/16 Bray Wyatt is if Rob Zombie was a box office hit

KawadaSmile

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've always heard the talk of wrestling being cyclical. What if it's not in regards to popularity but cyclical in other ways?

In the 80's there were a lot of great workers but they didn't have to work like they work today. "Less is more" so they say. Hulk Hogan was on top & frequently got a ton of mileage out of a bearhug spot, or the knuckle lock, and always finished with a normal body slam & a leg drop. Sure on the same shows you had guys like Savage doing top rope elbows & what not but the shows were filled with guys like Greg Valentine or Warlord or Akeem not doing much in-ring. 

In the 90's, especially during crash TV, there was a lot of in-ring drek. There were still plenty of talented guys, like Bret Hart or Chris Benoit or Eddy Guerrero doing crazy things in-ring & I think wrestlers like them - and later guys like Kurt Angle - really made a lot of fans start to care more about in-ring style. Not just the puro tape traders. You still had some crazy, different things with like ECW too. 

In the early 2000s, even guys like The Undertaker were starting to try to have in-ring bangers. Ring of Honor pretty much replaced ECW but their product was almost 100% about just the in-ring. Everyone every night everywhere on the card was trying to win the Match of the Year award or whatever. 

Now with AEW, you even have people on the active roster, like Brit Baker after her hardcore match, saying things like "I hope Meltzer gives that five stars!" 

Maybe it's just come full circle & people want less is more again. Not more 450 Spike Tombstones or top rope dragon suplexes. Maybe just more spooky, goofy shit, like Bray Wyatt cosplaying as fat Rob Zombie. 

Wrestling has never been about just the in-ring. Wrestling will never be about just the in-ring. And you can certainly thrive even if you're the drizzling shits in-ring. Danhausen is over and doesn't even have to wrestle. Pro-wrestling is still just a show. It's just storytelling.

Yeah, but the issue is that even Undertaker at his most gimmicky had more presence, and when fan's expectations of him included the in-ring part, he improved. I'm fairly certain he was a way more well-rounded wrestler than Bray up until that last Lesnar feud (although that Graveyard Dogs tag match was cool).

Bray's gimmicks always end up leading to bullshit. Exploding monitors, Star Wards projections during HiaC matches, Evil Alexa having dark goo all over her face... all that shit led to boos. Dude wasn't even good in NXT!

49 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I was greatly amused by the fact that Bray Wyatt being Sister Abigail was immediately dropped and never mentioned again because it was universally regarded as lame as hell even by the standards of Wyatt lore.

Doesn't it have to do with the fact he got sick when they were going to do Sister Abraygail vs Pumpkin Demon Balor?

6 minutes ago, El-P said:

You having a good week, bubba ? How's the Triple H honeymoon going ? 

In my case it wasn't even a thing lol he was giving title reigns to Raquel Gonzales and Aliyah

Like, his first week in charge he brought back Karrion Kross, I'm firmly in the hater camp 

On the other hand obliterating Vince's idea for LA Knight was GOOD SHIT. YEAH.

The is amazingly ironic considering the godawfull bullshit Inoki booked during that time.

The Good Brothers are smooth operators. They were in NJPW during a hot period, then they got in WWE and were part of Taker's last match ever. Even though they end up in IMPACT because they re-signed with WWE during a bad time (aka pandemic, meaning WWE had to fire a whole lot of people they just signed because they were in financial disarray, you see), they found their way into AEW during their hottest period ever thus far, they are in the picture during the infamous debut of both Adam Cole and Bryan Danielson. Now they're gonna be back in WWE during Triple H's honeymoon. These guys know their shit. Kevin Nash tier.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Interesting that Omos is still in the opening for Raw.

He was on Raw 2 weeks ago so he's still around.  Veer's the one sent back to nxt.

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I hope they have a per appearance contract. Karl is holding the NJPW NEVER Belt, isn't he?

He is indeed. too bad they didn't get at least their old cool theme. 

The OC once again.