Pro Wrestling Only

FTR with Dax Harwood and Matt Koon

Now that the William Regal podcast is done, Conrad Thomason’s music producer Matt Koon is starting a new podcast on Conrad’s Podcast Heat/Ad Free Shows Network with…Dax Harwood.

Koon and Dax are apparently buddies. I used to follow Koon on Twitter for a while and he is one of the loudest voices on Twitter complaining about how FTR are being misused in AEW. He’s also very pissy about the fact that Tony Khan replaced the (terrible) custom theme that Koon had produced for FTR in AEW with the Midnight Express knockoff (which is a million times better.)

Somebody on Twitter jokingly asked Cash Wheeler if he would be getting a podcast too, and Wheeler replied: “Let me think about how many bridges I am willing to burn first.”

That about sums it up. This has glorious train wreck written all over it. Dax Harwood is super passionate about Pro Wrestling and appears to pretty much wear his heart on his sleeve. He has already shown in his appearance on Cornette’s podcast that he is not afraid to vent about behind the scenes drama when he is pissed.

Combine that with a co-host who is not kindly disposed towards Tony Khan, Dax’s friendship with Punk, FTR’s rumoured heat with the Young Bucks, his antagonistic relationship with Meltzer and a lot of Elite fanboys online…and most significantly the fact that FTR’s contracts are up in the next 90 days or so?

This could be a bit of a spectacle.  Then again, it could just be him and Koon doing watch-alongs of classic Bret Hart matches. Who knows?

The show debuts December 29.

7 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Now that the William Regal podcast is done, Conrad Thomason’s music producer Matt Koon is starting a new podcast on Conrad’s Podcast Heat/Ad Free Shows Network with…Dax Harwood.

Koon and Dax are apparently buddies. I used to follow Koon on Twitter for a while and he is one of the loudest voices on Twitter complaining about how FTR are being misused in AEW. He’s also very pissy about the fact that Tony Khan replaced the (terrible) custom theme that Koon had produced for FTR in AEW with the Midnight Express knockoff (which is a million times better.)

Somebody on Twitter jokingly asked Cash Wheeler if he would be getting a podcast too, and Wheeler replied: “Let me think about how many bridges I am willing to burn first.”

That about sums it up. This has glorious train wreck written all over it. Dax Harwood is super passionate about Pro Wrestling and appears to pretty much wear his heart on his sleeve. He has already shown in his appearance on Cornette’s podcast that he is not afraid to vent about behind the scenes drama when he is pissed.

Combine that with a co-host who is not kindly disposed towards Tony Khan, Dax’s friendship with Punk, FTR’s rumoured heat with the Young Bucks, his antagonistic relationship with Meltzer and a lot of Elite fanboys online…and most significantly the fact that FTR’s contracts are up in the next 90 days or so?

This could be a bit of a spectacle.  Then again, it could just be him and Koon doing watch-alongs of classic Bret Hart matches. Who knows?

The show debuts December 29.

Newzsites x social media gin up any vaguely contentious statement too. 

I thought it was an entertaining sneak peak. Dax is more podcast savvy and is more willing to engage with Koon and wasn't afraid to dish some dirt on name associations. I thought his most interesting answer was MJF and it was a timely reminder that the Pinnacle was a thing. Of course the big headline coming off the sneak preview was looking forward to working Cody 'real soon' but it feels like FTR back to WWE has been rumoured for awhile so teasing it further is expected.

I don't think he'll name names but one thing he touched when he was asked about Punk was that there were some wrestlers who didn't want to job to Punk so they avoided him altogether. It can't have been Bobby Fish or Hangman Page since they worked together so it makes me think either it was the Bucks (Punk suggested a Punk/Danielson vs. Bucks match in a Renee Paquette interview that promptly went nowhere) or Sammy Guevara.

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

I thought it was an entertaining sneak peak. Dax is more podcast savvy and is more willing to engage with Koon and wasn't afraid to dish some dirt on name associations. I thought his most interesting answer was MJF and it was a timely reminder that the Pinnacle was a thing. Of course the big headline coming off the sneak preview was looking forward to working Cody 'real soon' but it feels like FTR back to WWE has been rumoured for awhile so teasing it further is expected.

I don't think he'll name names but one thing he touched when he was asked about Punk was that there were some wrestlers who didn't want to job to Punk so they avoided him altogether. It can't have been Bobby Fish or Hangman Page since they worked together so it makes me think either it was the Bucks (Punk suggested a Punk/Danielson vs. Bucks match in a Renee Paquette interview that promptly went nowhere) or Sammy Guevara.

The Jericho, Christian, Matt Hardy type corner of the locker room had there fill of Phil of a decade ago.

3 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Jericho and Matt Hardy sure, but I’ve never heard Christian say anything bad about Punk. Christian didn’t have any problem doing Carpool Karaoke with Punk. 

I take your point but there's a difference between that and having to work with him on a weekly basis in Pro Wrestling promotion and Punk's effect on locker room morale once the honeymoon period ends. 

I'd like to reiterate that Page may be the worst top-of-the-card guy in major TV pro wrestling history at structuring matches (though he has many other positive attributes) and if there's anyone in the world who really needs to listen to advice, it's him. It's a shame that Punk wasn't somehow less abrasive and more able to empathize and compel the guy to listen. I doubt he would have listened to Ricky Steamboat or some other wise and sage (and not an asshole) figure, however, since it was that selfsame dopey structuring that helped to bring him to the dance in the first place as a mid-carder. Part of the perfect storm that led them to this point is just how uniquely bad Page happens to be. (I'm probably the only guy on the board that would say that his least favorite AEW match of the year was Page vs Takeshita though).

19 hours ago, rovert said:

I take your point but there's a difference between that and having to work with him on a weekly basis in Pro Wrestling promotion and Punk's effect on locker room morale once the honeymoon period ends. 

I'm getting so sick of this 'Punk's effect on locker room morale' bs. You have two camps in AEW, the camp that probably didn't want Punk there to begin with (The Elite, Colt Cabana, Jericho, Matt Hardy) that have said things about Punk that were negative, then you have a second camp (FTR, Darby Allin, Powerhouse Hobbs, Ricky Starks, The Acclaimed) that have had nothing but positive things to say about Punk. It's just that in the wrestling bubble, the former have more of a relationship with the wrestling 'journalists', so their take is amplified vs what the latter has been quoted as saying. Unfortunately, the former group is so insecure that nothing positive about Punk can be allowed, the narrative has to be 'he's a cancer' so that they can be seen as right and the good guys. Dak and Punk's response to what Dak said seems to indicate that Punk is ready and willing to do business and make money, but the wrestling 'journalists' come out almost immediately and parrot the response of that former group that there's no way they can work together because if they ever do it shows that Punk isn't what they have made him out to be. They wanted Punk gone and they don't ever want him to come back, but it's nowhere near the entire locker room and never was. 

On 12/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, rovert said:

I have a feeling I know which people in the locker room you have some contact with, if you do indeed have contact.

Big time. He’s already briefly mentioned The Hart Foundation vs. Brain Busters at Summerslam 89, they should do a watch-along on that one.

It’s a shame Matt Koon is such a choade. This show would be so much better with Sean Oliver, Jon Alba or even Conrad himself. Could be worse I guess. Could be Paul Bromwell or (shudder) Casio Kid.

I can see why Dax and Punk get along so well. They both seem to be very passionate guys who seem like an absolute pain in the ass to be around on a regular basis. I appreciate Dax carrying the torch for tag team wrestling when it seemed like no one in charge of pro wrestling gave a shit about it, but he also comes off as the type who will jump headfirst into every discussion about it no matter if it involved him or not and that gets exhausting as fuck real fast.