Pro Wrestling Only

Anyone have any INSIDER NEWZ on the WON HOF?

sek69

So I guess no one in Lucha is ever going to get elected unless Dave puts them in on fiat.

For that matter, how the hell does Paco Alonso end up one percentage point away from election and Dr. Wagner Sr. drops to 41%? I'm not a Lucha expert, but everything I've read indicates that CMLL is the most conservative, predictable company in the world. I guess it's safe business, but is it considered HOF worthy for a promoter just to not drive his company into the ground? What has he done this year to nearly get over the hump other than have a pissing contest with Santo?

I bet most people that vote for these awards know who Dr. Wagner Sr. is or how good he was. Paco got more votes because he's head of CMLL like you said and there was a time when CMLL was good and exciting. Of course that was almost 20 years ago and I don't think Paco was the owner back then. And even though Paco hates Konnan, I bet Konnan voted him in if he has a vote.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the support Karloff Lagarde got. I don't know how much of that was because of his death, don't know whether or not most people had their votes in already when it happened. Still, that support didn't translate to Enrique Torres, which may or may not mean anything.

Konnan seems to be splitting the Mexican vote. Once he gets in, it'll be a lot easier for Villano III, Karloff Lagarde or Dr Wagner Sr. to make it.

Its more likely that if Konan gets in, the people who voted for him wont vote for another Mexican.

Which is the point. They'll stop voting in the "Mexico Region":

Current Mexico Region:

75 Folks who Vote for a Variety of luchadores

25 Folks who only Vote for someone like Konnan

Future Mexico Region:

75 Folks who Vote for a Variety of luchadores

It's easier to get 60% of the 75 voters than it is to get 60% of the 100 voters when 25% show up just to vote for Konnan.

Japan was the same way. Kobashi and Liger in the years they came out got a load of votes from people who don't even follow puroresu. They've simply seen Dave pimp the fuck out of those two for years. They swell the number of voters... probably in their cases by almost double. Get rid of them, and people like Aja had chances.

The question then becomes for luchadores:

* are they a Aja Candidate

* or are they a Hase Candidate

The Hase style candidate still tends to get a chunk of their votes from non-puroresu fans, which helped them over the hump. Their being on the ballot, then, draws in a few more non-puroresu fans than would otherwise vote. It doesn't impact the rest of the field like Liger or Kobashi, but can impact some close calls (which the candidate is as well).

An Aja is largely pulling for their 60% purely from the voters who know something about the region. It tends to be an uphill struggle.

I don't know if there are any Hase Candidates once you get past Konnan.

The best thing that can happen is get Konnan in, or better or worse, to open up the rest of the Lucha field.

It's the sad, fucked up nature of how Dave runs it. Instead of splitting his ballot up into Regions, and telling voters which region they can vote in, Dave sends out a ballot with the assumption that a vote does (or *might*) know something about everyone on the ballot. It's a fairly easy thing for Dave to solve... but I'm not sure if he wants to.

He really does need to rethink the election process. With Rock in and the rest of the group kind of just "there", it's the year for him to start thinking about it. Even he knows that there aren't really many strong candidates out there. I don't think he'd agree that the collection of people he's put in (he would point to "the voters put in") over the past 5-6 years have been collectively mediocre. He probably think's 90% of them are worthy. But he *would* agree that the pickings are getting slim. The problem is that the way he's set it up, a fair amount of those slim pickings are going to be getting in over the next 5+ years.

John

Seriously, who got Lino Ventura into the Hall of Fame?

Every bio I read of him did not say more than a single sentence about his wrestling career. Apparently it doesn't matter if you wrestled in front of 60 000 people or had 50 sellouts in 2 months in the same town, as long as you are European you are screwed.

Note to self: To get Hans Schwarz Jr. inducted, don't tell Meltzer that he dominated the German wrestling scene for 20 years (1930-1955), a feat no other person ever did accomplish over here, just send him the link for his IMDB resume!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0777533/

I'm not sure we should be too angry at the historians for failing to vote for Rey. It depends on the reasons why they failed to vote for him. I know Steve Yohe didn't vote for him because he felt it was too early and wanted to wait and see. In this case that is probably too cautious, but I'd rather see that than more weak candidates like Kurt Angle get rushed in when first eligible who got badly exposed in the years after induction.