Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 2/8 - 2/10 - What if Tony Just Let ChatGPT Write All The Promos?

Timbo Slice

Not that long ago a lot of us were dreading Jericho picking Starks as his new project for his long ass boring feuds and some still defended it. I wanna read those people now and if they still get behind JAS garbage just because "they get a lot of time". Can we just give Starks the same time against someone that's gonna be compelling to watch?

Heel Swerve has so much promise and dude went into hibernation when he could've had a dope feud with Ricky were both get elevated.

3 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

Dax has said that they know there’s basically one big payday left for them. The next contract they want to sign needs to be their last. So they’re going to leverage that to make sure they get all they can out of a final run. 

I am of the belief things have been worked out and business has been done when it comes with FTR and AEW. FTR were backstage at the Kentucky Dynamite (Jay's memorial show). Dax this week on his podcast took the blame about deterioration of his relationship with Tony Khan 2021-ish and (while protecting on-screen kayfabe) The Young Bucks and implied there's been a reconciliation recently. Dax put things down to the big issue he has with controlling his crippling anxiety.

Just reading the tea leaves just on what Wrestlers and friends of CM Punk have been tweeting and Like-ing. There seems to be movement there. Also in the last week including a hint on Dax's podcast there's been talk going around that Edge would be interested in joining AEW after his WWE contract is up at the end of the year.

Working with CM Punk again, making money off the The Elite drama, Edge is FTR's mentor and a FTR vs Edge & Christian match would be BIG reasons to stay for FTR you have to think.

If someone is plagued with the anxiety issues that Dax has. Working for new and inexperienced owners and maybe with Vince still in the mix Creative wise that seems like a very negative situation in contrast.

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Not that long ago a lot of us were dreading Jericho picking Starks as his new project for his long ass boring feuds and some still defended it. I wanna read those people now and if they still get behind JAS garbage just because "they get a lot of time". Can we just give Starks the same time against someone that's gonna be compelling to watch?

Heel Swerve has so much promise and dude went into hibernation when he could've had a dope feud with Ricky were both get elevated.

We live in a world where Tony Khan has followed through with The Acclaimed, but not with Eddie Kingston, Ricky Starks, Hangman Page, and I would argue he should absolutely have made MJF at least a tweener if not a face after that worked shoot promo. Truly disgusting.

I don't know how anyone could defend or give a Jericho program the benefit of the doubt. His entire run has been very blatantly glomming onto a guy already getting a lot of buzz, then engaging in a never ending feud that stalls out the other guy's momentum. But he gets to then claim he "made them a star" while he goes on to do it to the next guy, who then needs 6-9 months to heat back up to where they were before the Jericho feud. Dude is the worst gatekeeper.

He's also a guy that has needed to go away for months/years at a time pretty regularly for most of the past 15 years because of how stale he gets. He needs a long, long break from AEW TV.

59 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I don't know how anyone could defend or give a Jericho program the benefit of the doubt. His entire run has been very blatantly glomming onto a guy already getting a lot of buzz, then engaging in a never ending feud that stalls out the other guy's momentum. But he gets to then claim he "made them a star" while he goes on to do it to the next guy, who then needs 6-9 months to heat back up to where they were before the Jericho feud. Dude is the worst gatekeeper.

He's also a guy that has needed to go away for months/years at a time pretty regularly for most of the past 15 years because of how stale he gets. He needs a long, long break from AEW TV.

Yes, they just need stories that will appeal to the public. One story isn't enough for them, so they come up with a way to make everything more colorful. Sometimes it seems as if AEW TV has its own script for situations. But it only seems that way.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

We talk about how MJF always makes his opponents go through trials, what about Jericho feuding with people over membership of his club?

We've had feuds with Moxley, MJF, Ricky Starks that all centered around Jericho offering them a spot in his feud. Then we've had feuds with the Blackpool Combat Club who dared to poach a young talent like Daniel Garcia, or with Eddie Kingston who wanted to take Santana & Ortiz off his hands.

Not only has it become stale but there's only so much interest you can build off those feuds.

Even the Orange Cassidy feud became about Cassidy ruining Jericho's jacket.

There's just no meat to it. It's like trying to get invested in a feud that revolves around somebody calling their opponent Booger McBoogerson. Which is fine for Jericho because he's comfortable being at a certain level as long as he's featured on television. However when you want to build interest in other stars it actively takes away from them.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Fences being mended aside, I just assumed it was going to be a while before we saw FTR since during all those great matches they had Dax was being held together with duct tape and wishes. 

I just hope that FTR can have compelling feuds that don't involve the tag titles. They are too good to only work as an act when they are champs.

14 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

I just hope that FTR can have compelling feuds that don't involve the tag titles. They are too good to only work as an act when they are champs.

Idk, tag wrestling just ain’t what it once was. AEW has a better tag division than WWE, but that’s not saying much. Tag wrestling is more than ever seen as a place to hide green guys and get them some seasoning, or to park people you don’t have a singles program for, not as an end unto itself. 

13 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Wasn't that an element of his feud with Mox in the Fed as well? There was a plant involved, too.

Mitch The Plant? Didn't they bury that shtick on the infamous TIJ podcast?

It just speaks to Jericho's comfort zone and how long he's been recycling ideas.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Kingston, Starks, and Page were all involved in scuffles or other sort of backstage drama so that may have played into it as well. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as Eddie and Page are concerned, booking not really doing anything for them preceded any backstage scuffles and drama they ended up having. As for Ricky, what is the story?

16 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as Eddie and Page are concerned, booking not really doing anything for them preceded any backstage scuffles and drama they ended up having. As for Ricky, what is the story?

Ricky had a backstage scuffle with Swerve over a spot in one of their matches and a planned match was cancelled over it.

They've buried the hatchet and Starks is set to appear on Swerve's pod and they'll shed more light on it.

I think this only came to light a few days ago? It sounds pretty consistent from stories with Starks who can be confrontational but is always willing to forgive and forget.

It gives meaningful wins to the champ without having to resort to bullshit "title matches". It makes the actual title matches more scarce and therefore more special. It makes sense that if you are not #1 or #2 contender and well below in the ranks, you might only be worthy of a title shot if you can prove you can actually beat the champ (unless there's a special issue or angle going on). It allows a surprise from time to time. (and it prevents WWE-like idiocy of champions losing non-title matches  and then not ever having to defend their title against the person who beat the because oh well) It's just simple, efficient and logical booking. This is actually one of the smoothest thing about AEW's booking right now (which is anything but smooth in other parts).