Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Backlash 2023 in Puerto Rico: Will Brock squash Cody? Can Bad Bunny hop over Damien Priest?

C.S.

1 hour ago, Blehschmidt said:

Okay, who in the hell is the guy in the tan hat and the lime green t-shirt, goatee w/ no mustache, that is front row, center at every major WWE show for the last several years. He is even front row in Puerto Rico tonight.

EIther this guy has a shit ton of disposable income, or there is a story there.

One of the great mysteries of the universe. Same spot, same clothes, for every big show for God knows how many years now

My main takeaway from this show is how the fuck does WWE not go there more often? PR has such a long history, was doing hardcore when Paul E was taking pictures with the Grand Wizard and Captain Lou, and has rabid fans.  If they don't make it a regular spot on their rotation it's leaving money on the table. 

5 hours ago, drokk said:

Also if I have to rewind a few times to check whether Brock bladed or if that was hardway, I gotta give them credit. I'm still not sure either way, but that's part of the magic of wrasslin innit?

It was hardway. Every time he bleeds, he does it intentionally hardway because he's a savage.

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

PR needs to get in the rotation for their schedule, man. 

This is a fact.  The travel is easy and with the ability to run a double shot every time out it should have its place on the calendar as long as they don't burn out the market.  On the other hand I get it if they're only able to tap payoffs from a place like that every so often.

They apparently got paid by the PR tourism board for the show, but I don't think they'd have a problem getting big houses running shows there. It's obviously still a hot wrestling market that's been starved for decades because the main promotion is run by the Puerto Rican Verne Gagne. If Im WWE, I drop a couple of the shows they run in bumfuck nowhere and add a couple dates for them. 

Given who the new owners are, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to wrangle more money out of foreign governments. Now is the time to do it because with government restrictions for international travel disappearing, countries that had sizable tourism before the pandemic are going to be eager to run big events like WWE to use as advertising. You're basically taking the old 'sold show' concept from the territories and running it on a global scale. Hopefully they're learn some lessons from dealing with the Saudis.

I'd be interested in see how much they charged for tickets compared to how much the same tickets would be in the U.S. That might be one of the main reasons they've stayed away from that market. If other entertainment options in the area are relatively cheap, then they might not have been able to find a price point that would make it worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 5:02 AM, Blehschmidt said:

Okay, who in the hell is the guy in the tan hat and the lime green t-shirt, goatee w/ no mustache, that is front row, center at every major WWE show for the last several years. He is even front row in Puerto Rico tonight.

EIther this guy has a shit ton of disposable income, or there is a story there.

There are other guys who are always at the same spot in the first row, for example for a year or so there is a guy with a Trinidad & Tobago flag. I would not be surprised if the front row is pretty much locked with the other people just not being that recognizable.

11 hours ago, Robert S said:

There are other guys who are always at the same spot in the first row, for example for a year or so there is a guy with a Trinidad & Tobago flag.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this guy. He's pretty much always there too.