Pro Wrestling Only

NWA reportedly signs TV deal with the CW network

sek69

Ol' Billy has been teasing a new era for the NWA, and along with announcing they are bringing back the territory system starting with EC3's promotion they also signed a deal wth the CW to carry NWA Power.  The CW has new ownership that has been making several deals for sports programming and this seems like a good fit with their plan. NWA gets on network TV and the CW gets more programming to fill their non primetime hours. 

So many more people now are gonna be excited about stuff like EC3 vs Thom Latimer for the prestigious NWA title now, how great is that ? The "territory system coming back" announcement was absolutely priceless (yiipee, they are working with... EC3 promotion, whatever that is, they are controlling their narrative that's for sure though). Nick Aldis must be livid he's not there anymore... 

1 hour ago, Embrodak said:

If WWE passes on Punk in perpetuity, seems likely NWA would try to convince CW to foot the bill to bring him in.

Given the fact that it's the CW? They cant afford Punk. And I say that as someone who watched a lot of CW during the Greg Berlanti DC Arrowverse era. It's a network owned/ associated with some evil media conglomerate. But not one with a lot of money to spend, especially on Billy Corgan's cheap to produce wrestling show. The evil owners might be Sinclair, actually. I can't be bothered to look it up. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The CW cancels a bunch of shows with female/ queer followings , like my fav DC's Legends of Tomorrow and are now going with Corgan's NWA which has no following to speak of. Great. I mean, It's a good deal for Corgan, and it's cheap non union programming for CW, but I doubt it'll last. 

If that Women of Wrestling thing lasted on the CW (or so I assume), I think the NWA will too.

But this is about the least exciting announcement and destination I could imagine. 

Better than YouTube and FITE though, I guess.

35 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

I wouldn’t underestimate Punk lowering his asking price just out of spite.

Honestly, though, I don’t think this will really work. Maybe if they bought out MLW, but otherwise, doesn’t seem like the roster could sustain a weekly TV show.

Dude, he'd literally be lowering his asking price to gas money and merch sales. He's rich. If he lost his mind and wanted to "spite work" for peanuts he'd probably go to Impact. Which also isn't going to happen. 

44 minutes ago, C.S. said:

If that Women of Wrestling thing lasted on the CW (or so I assume), I think the NWA will too.

But this is about the least exciting announcement and destination I could imagine. 

Better than YouTube and FITE though, I guess.

How long has WOW been on the CW? Like I said, I watched all the DCW Arrowverse shows and I never saw it on the schedule or the ap.

edit: I just checked. It airs at 1 am on Sundays on the CW here. Maybe Corgan can get the midnight slot to have two hours of wrestling in the worst time slot in history.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Given the fact that it's the CW? They cant afford Punk. And I say that as someone who watched a lot of CW during the Greg Berlanti DC Arrowverse era. It's a network owned/ associated with some evil media conglomerate. But not one with a lot of money to spend, especially on Billy Corgan's cheap to produce wrestling show. The evil owners might be Sinclair, actually. I can't be bothered to look it up. 

Nexstar. Not quite as evil as Sinclair, but still not great.

On 10/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, JRH said:

I assume they'll try to get a Thursday night timeslot, which will mean that there will be wrestling on tv 6 days of the week.

already is with IMPACT being on Thurs. 

Powerrr's always been Tuesdays so I'd like it to stay there if possible, and they also briefly had a 2nd show NWA USA on Saturday afternoons. This CW Deal is supposed to include a 2nd reality show type as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

According to Haus of Wrestling, negative feedback from the recent NWA Samhain PPV featuring Father James Mitchell partying with cocaine has led to a chance that Powerrr might get moved to airing on the CW App instead of their TV channel. 

Apparently the draw for the 2nd deal for the reality show was that it would include footage of Billy Corgan's wedding. 

Quality content right there :

The funniest part to me is learning that Corgan actually had entirely paid for the reality TV show. Which is about himself. And his wedding.

Yeah, you know, one thing is for sure, none of that stuff would get 5*, even at the Tokyo Dome.