Pro Wrestling Only

NWA reportedly signs TV deal with the CW network

sek69

58 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Being out-carnied by the woman who lost a TV deal by secretly hiring Vince Russo and lying to the network about it is bad enough, but Corgan has one-upped her by potentially losing a TV deal by doing a cocaine spot on a PPV. 

A PPV that also included :

_a match where the stip was that if you don't get a three count, you gotta drink a shot (involving the HeadBangers. Yes. The HeadBangers. Doing the exact same act as in 1997)

_a Halloween gimmick match ending with Violent J pinning Vampiro (and Jerry Only of "getting fucked up by Dr. Death is my pro-wrestling legacy" fame, this is REALLY WCW 2000 now)

_a "King of the Round table match", where you can only win by putting your opponent through... a round table. Now this is brilliant, right ? So they broke about a hundred tables (including a small table to put a midget through it, get it ?) but it did not count. Oh yeah, this was Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch vs two guys LITERALLY cosplaying Doom, one of which being a 53 years old Rodney Mack. Oh, and Aaron Stevens dressed as a Knight of the Round Table too. This shit is brillant is its complete dumbfuckery. Somewhere Russo was probably drooling with envy.

Thom Latimer & Kamille cosplaying as Randy Savage & Elisabeth was kinda cool I guess. EC3 was cosplaying, I dunno, Action Andretti maybe since he sported that godawful zoomer douchebag broccoli hairdo that will make an entire generation embarrassed in like 10 years (like every generation, let's be fair).

The idea that *this* product would get a TV deal of any sorts only speaks of Corgan having a name in show business and contacts, because really now... Court Bauer must be so jealous.

18 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

To top it all off, the show did 212 buys according to VOW. 

That's hilarious.

And then this :

Which is funny as hell when you actually watch the match, which was quite bad and had stuff like chairshots to the head, apron spot, Kamille getting bumped in a terribly timed spot, and an awfully executed finish to boot. The only thing that EC3 works efficiently at this point is syringes. This whole "wE Do pSYchOLoGY nOT wORkrATe" bit is so fucking laughable. But hey, gotta control your narrative.

On 11/5/2023 at 2:28 PM, El-P said:

_a "King of the Round table match", where you can only win by putting your opponent through... a round table. Now this is brilliant, right ? So they broke about a hundred tables (including a small table to put a midget through it, get it ?) but in did not count. Oh yeah, this was Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch vs two guys LITERALLY cosplaying Doom, one of which being a 53 years old Rodney Mack. Oh, and Aaron Stevens dressed as a Knight of the Round Table too. This shit is brillant is its complete dumbfuckery. Somewhere Russo was probably drooling with envy.

Can i just say that this has completely sold me on watching this ppv, sounds absolutely terrible

Billy Corgan's statement:

"There has been a ton of speculation lately and I stand by what I said; We have two TV deals with a top 20 network. That's all I can say for now. There is lots of speculation that's not true, but I can stand here and say, hand on heart, that is absolutely true."

Maybe it's something aside from CW?

8 hours ago, JNLister said:

I wonder if it's less "they did a coke spot, we have to pull the TV element of the deal" and more "I know we did a deal with Corgan but now we've signed NXT so we need to find any excuse we can to pull out. Roll the tape".

I mean it's possible. They apparently approached Tony Khan about a ROH show last year so the NWA wasn't their first choice.

7 hours ago, El-P said:

Maybe they simply watched the Samhain PPV and thought "hum, nope". 

I read somewhere that the CW executives specifically told Corgan they wouldn't be watching the PPV which is why he felt comfortable doing the spot.

11 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

What does "Samhain" even mean?

Never mind, I googled 

It was Glenn Danzig's band after he left the Misfits. That's what you found, right?

7 hours ago, Autistic Dragon said:

I read somewhere that the CW executives specifically told Corgan they wouldn't be watching the PPV which is why he felt comfortable doing the spot.

I find it hard to believe that even Corgan would be that stupid. Footage of PPV events is preserved after they go off the air, so CW executives would easily be aware of what happened on one even if they didn't watch it live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Months after the fact, they haven't run any PPV since Coke-a-Mania and every "big" event has now been turned into tapings for their "TV" show. What a wonderful dumpster fire this entire thing has been. Meanwhile, Court Bauer got 20 Mil.