Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV January 17th - 20th

Blehschmidt

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Joe VS Hook was fun. Easily Hook's best match and a reminder of how Joe can create greatness with even someone who, with all due respect, is not so good.

FINALLY, AEW has a world champ again. The power is BACK!

Honestly, I wouldn't say HOOK isn't good just super green. He probably should be doing more in ROH since that's basically their NXT nowadays.

Joe/HOOK felt like a poor man's Hansen/Kobashi and was a better All Japan tribute than anything Eddie Kingston has ever done. Joe's power walk after the uranage on the table literally made me laugh out loud. Count me in the pro-HOOK camp. He's obviously green, but he has athletic ability and charisma and is already a good seller. Luckily for him, Darby Allin is there to serve as a template for how to work as an undersized wrestler who gets beaten down but never says die. 

Joe has a presence that draws people in.  I'm sure Vince was puzzled by it because Joe isn't jacked, but you see him marching toward the ring you feel like you're about to see a murder happen.  Just listen to DJ Whoo Kid (who was backstage at Wembley as part of Swerve's entrance) describe the famous Punk-Jungle Boy fight:

Whoo Kid: Punches? Like it was wrestling back there. Like DDT, everything... alright, I’m exaggerating, but the shit that’s crazy is there was a yelling moment where he was like “Yo, fuck this shit! This is our moment, everybody get the fuck out there and do your shit. And  I was like, I don’t know how to wrestle, but I was about to go out there... It was very intense, man. I always respect wrestling after I saw that...

He went on to clarify the person doing the yelling was the "big...Hawaiian looking guy",  Joe had that man fuckin' believing so you know he can make the ratings go up.

Joe had a throwaway feud with Brock where he was so great and menacing and cut such great promos that not only did he feel believable as someone who could beat Lesnar, there were people wanting him to beat Brock and be champ for a short while before Brock won it back. 

Concur that HOOK is great. 

It really isn’t a surprise that everything feels better with a guy like Joe on tops who talks about being a bad man and backs it up in simple fashion than it does with MJFs convoluted, work shoot, Attitude Era nonsense. For the first time in a while, TK has actually established some challengers right off the bat which helps 

16 hours ago, Embrodak said:

Joe is also consistently moving the ratings upward in a way nobody has in months, which is genuinely heartwarming for some reason.

I mean, sometimes people just wanna see a badass champ be a badass champ.

9 hours ago, Stiva said:

It really isn’t a surprise that everything feels better with a guy like Joe on tops who talks about being a bad man and backs it up in simple fashion than it does with MJFs convoluted, work shoot, Attitude Era nonsense. For the first time in a while, TK has actually established some challengers right off the bat which helps 

Yeah. As much as the match against Bryan was good, the whole damn build was awful. The promos MJF was cutting were just bad, plain and simple. Then they spent fucking ages with the Cole feud-turn-friendship which while interesting as a concept, dragged on for way too long and will continue to drag on once Max returns. Joe being a no-nonsense, straight to the point and charismatic badass is miles above that.

However, I must say that I wanna see him be the champ for way more time. Swerve is dope and all that, but if they are doing a three-way, keeping the belt on Joe seems not the worst choice. Hangman is there to take the fall.

19 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

However, I must say that I wanna see him be the champ for way more time. 

This is what I was thinking about. Samoa Joe, world champ, is the gift that I never expected to happen anymore. I fully was behind transitioning to Swerve pretty quickly. The thing is, if I'm real, Joe is better by every metrics. I still think Swerve should be the champ at one point if he maintain the overness, but Joe should keep the belt longer.

Fuck, now I'm envisioning Joe vs Ospreay. DAMN. PLEASE.

Yeah, there is no rush for Swerve to be the champ right now. Joe getting the belt and being capable of having bangers with green wrestlers such as Hook is not only a breath of fresh air, but it means you can just throw ANYONE at him and expect at the very least a good, enjoyable TV match. Like, if he was able to do that with Hook, imagine what he could do with someone like Orange Cassidy?

For a company which was suffering with injuries and honestly poor booking, Joe being there brings them so much safety.

I assume Joe pins Hangman at Revolution, Swerve goes 3-0 against Hangman in a gimmick main event on Dynamite and then Swerve takes the gold at Double or Nothing. That gives Joe a good 5 months reign and I think that’s about as far as you delay the Swerve coronation without him losing momentum. That’ll probably lead into another “Hangman loses confidence” story which is honestly old ground these days but maybe they move him to Roddy and the International title down the line 

MJF’s reign just got completely derailed by the Adam Cole/fake babyface/Devil bullshit, to the point where they frankly could not have gotten the title off of him fast enough. I don’t care how much distaste one has for MJF’s edgelord stuff, it was infinitely better than bad indie wrestling comedy skits (no matter how over it was with the crowd; sometimes you legit just have to say no, you are wrong if you think you want this) and Black Scorpion Redux.

The nice thing about Joe is he’s an actual tweener. He can tangle with either babyfaces or heels and it makes sense for him. I do not at all understand the notion that wrestling has transcended the need for babyfaces and heels or that AEW is doing some sort of fourth dimensional booking that obviates such distinctions, but if it were an industry of Joes, I might get it.

They'll do a three way at Revolution, which is a clever way of both doing another Hangman-Swerve match without wasting another singles too soon, and give Swerve an early title shot without actually crowning him while still not making him lose (Hangman should get the pin). There's no need to wait for the next big ppv to drop the title, either, it can be done at a special Dynamite or whatever. They know how to make those moments feel ppv-worthy on TV.