Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Revolution 2024

MoS

Revolution stands out as my top contender for show of the year, featuring electrifying matches like Kingston versus Danielson, BCC against FTR, Ospreay versus Takeshita, Joe versus Hangman versus Swerve, and the intense showdown between Sting, Darby, and the Bucks, all of which have earned a place in my notebook. However, I must note that the crowd seemed subdued during parts of Cassidy versus Strong and Toni versus Deonna, despite the fine performance showcased in those matches.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Low Ki is such a mark for himself he'd want to win, so it's probably not happening.

Bryan is so giving that he'd probably voluntarily lose to this geek. Another reason I hope it never happens.

3 hours ago, MoS said:

He didn't even go to hospital! He is having a singles match in 10 days! He is not human

He would be well-advised to look to Kota Ibushi as a cautionary tale. Like Darby, he seemed indestructible for years, but it all caught up to him and now he's a physical wreck. Even if Darby doesn't plan on sticking around that long, he has to think about his post-wrestling quality of life.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:23 PM, strobogo said:

Tbh, if AEW only existed for the Sting run, it would have been worth it.

This.

Also, Will Ospreay. It's just not fair for everyone else. The best wrestler in the world alongside Kenny Omega (when he comes back), Bryan Danielson and possibly Kazuchika Okada. In the same promotion. At the same time. AEW is just ridiculous. Rename it GWEW already. BTW, give me Danielson vs Ospreay, quick, before it's gone.

And in the middle of all the main event awesomeness, which was the greatest retirement anyone had in the US ever (and right there at the top with the rest of the world), here's Scotty Riggs. This was wonderfully random.

This was clearly one of those peak AEW events. More to come, I'm gessing.

Yeah, Revolution was one of those feel-good AEW shows that was common when they started.

It all revolves around Sting, man. I think the show wouldn't be such a massove hit - obviously good, the card was stacked - if they didn't have such a historic match in it. The vibe is different when it's the last match for someone who has been doing it for almost FORTY years.

Sting is so damn cool. Will miss him dearly.

Really is a heck of an in-ring product top to bottom, this show. I did skip the scramble and the women’s match because both the setting of the scramble and the roles in the women’s match didn’t really scream out must watch right away. Short and tidy of it all:

-Christian is the most efficient and effective wrestler on the roster and it’s not really close. He’s an absolute master of every facet of pro wrestling. A true joy to watch. Garcia is already over but Christian is truly gonna make him a top guy.

-Bryan/Kingston was great, but wasn’t on the level of Kingston winning the Continental Crown. Bryan continues to be the best of all time at conveying in-ring narrative shifts. Wish Kingston’s Hansen homage landed better but very few complaints here. 

-Strong/Cassidy was good, and Roddy got to really show off his strength at times. Love the gutwrench turnbuckle spot, true insanity. Cassidy goes out as probably the best champion AEW has ever had with any belt with his two runs. Insane stretch for him. 

-FTR/BCC took a bit of time but once it got into the stretch run it hit another level. Couple bad spots of timing but otherwise, what you’d expect from these four. Full of neat little homages. 

-Ospreay/Takeshita hit the level folks of the style wanted, but both guys went a bit further than was necessary for me. Fast food, wrestling-wise, but it was good. Did think Ospreay’s kidney exploded on the botch, guessing he’ll be feeling that for a while. Takeshita as a heel still doesn’t really do it for me, and I think the whole Callis thing needs to go away soon.

-I have one quibble with the three-way, which I did think was good. Page should have been facing Swerve when he tapped. Think it lost something a bit in translation when Swerve put on his face about Page screwing him, and I don’t think you need to play the “what-if” game. Page could have tried to get out, knew he was done, seen Swerve crawling, and tapped when he made his move. Joe KILLED Swerve with that final suplex, though, goddamn. 

-The main event was perfect from a send off standpoint. Sting becoming a top-tier death match worker is not something I had on my bingo card, but the dude is just something else. Darby is insane, the usual Bucks bullshit didn’t hamper it, Ric’s involvement didn’t hamper it, it was just a great emotional match. Choked up a couple times in it. An emotional capper like few others.