Pro Wrestling Only

"Macho Madness: The Randy Savage Ultimate Collection"

stunning_grover

Since this is the "Why is Savage persona non grata in WWE?" thread of record, this is in the latest WON:

There was a lot of disappointment among the Poffo family as apparently Randy Savage had contacted both WWE and TNA, asking them to send some kind of a message to be read at Angelo Poffo's funeral. TNA sent it while WWE ignored the message.

Whatever happened or whatever Vince thinks happened, it was personal. Of course, would Savage have called if the Stephanie rumors were true? Wouldn't he ask Lanny to do it?

If we're going for the "nothing happened but Vince thinks it did" theory, when did Savage originally put up that video where he calls out HHH and talks about Stephanie?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Since this is the "Why is Savage persona non grata in WWE?" thread of record

Mattel is making a Savage figure for the WWE line, and Savage cut a promo with the figure for the WWE/Mattel panel at San Diego Comic Con:

http://www.wrestlingfigs.com/inner2.php?id...8&page_id=1

http://www.wrestlingfigs.com/inner2.php?id...1&page_id=1

When Jakks had the license and was producing their Classic Superstars line, WWE would not approve a Savage figure.

Wonder if Mattel cut a separate deal with Savage in addition to the deal with WWE. It's pretty clear from the pictures that it's part of the "WWE Defining Moments" series of figures, not just from the text but from the packaging picture down the second link. So the WWE had to sign off in some fashion, unless the contract with the WWE gives Mattel broad freedom to sign people up (such as Bruno).

Pretty interesting, and Mattel thought enough of Savage in being one of the anchors for the series that they paid him to do a promo. It's a cheap video message, but still... pretty interesting.

John

They have to cut a separate deal for the non-contract wrestlers. So did Jakks. WWE has to sign off on them, though, so that's why Jakks wasn't able to sign Savage.

For what it's worth:

- Nikita Koloff has claimed that he was on WWE's no figure list for reasons he's not aware of for a few years until Vince or whoever suddenly had a change of heart.

- Jakks released a Bruno figure. Bruno was fine with it because he wasn't dealing with WWE and WWE was fine with it because they don't mind their licensees working with him.

• 10 months later...

Because this belongs here and not in the RIP thread...

Apparently, Oliver Copp has posted this at the F4W board:

Again - people may not want to hear this but Stephanie during the mid 90s and in colllege was a really wild party girl. If this had been about Savage sleeping with her, it would have made no sense for Vince to blow his gasket over it since a LOT of the guys had a go at Steph back then and Vince had to know it. Everybody else did.

Take it FWIW.

"Have a go at Steph"? "Everybody else did"? I had no idea Oliver hated women so much.

Anyway, if this is what "Oliver knows," then way did Dave act like that was the key to the Stephanie story being true if he's using her alleged promiscuity to say it's NOT why Vince didn't want Savage back and was weirdly personal about it?

Also, it's not the first time I've heard someone make the "Stephanie was a slut in college in Boston" claim (someone else who publicly reported something about another female wrestling personality being considered promiscuous but told me this privately) but I never really took that person at face value, or the claim being relevant to anything if it actually was true.

Whose not sleeping around whilst at uni/college? What's the next big revelation, that she 'experimented with marijuana'? More to the point, does anyone care about that now?

Edit: Maybe he dislikes Stephanie? Maybe he's repeating the quote moreorless as it was given to him? "Everybody else did" is know about it, too.

"Have a go at Steph"? "Everybody else did"? I had no idea Oliver hated women so much.

Settle down Prince Valiant.

I've just had a distaste for the guy since his freakout over using his message board posts as news sources when relevant.

Again - people may not want to hear this but Stephanie during the mid 90s and in colllege was a really wild party girl. If this had been about Savage sleeping with her, it would have made no sense for Vince to blow his gasket over it since a LOT of the guys had a go at Steph back then and Vince had to know it. Everybody else did.

Take it FWIW.

Anyway, if this is what "Oliver knows," then way did Dave act like that was the key to the Stephanie story being true if he's using her alleged promiscuity to say it's NOT why Vince didn't want Savage back and was weirdly personal about it?

Also, it's not the first time I've heard someone make the "Stephanie was a slut in college in Boston" claim (someone else who publicly reported something about another female wrestling personality being considered promiscuous but told me this privately) but I never really took that person at face value, or the claim being relevant to anything if it actually was true.

there's of course the story of Bruce Prichard talking about Steph's "promiscuity" to Lawler that Lawler relayed on his website in 2001. I guess it was talked about at Titan Towers from 94-98 when she was at BU

Stephanie did an interview (it was I think 2000, can't remember the source) where she said she was "kind of a party girl" in college

suprisingly this didn't come up in the Stern interview in 02 (it probably would have if Howard knew)

I'm half wondering now if all the slut stuff from 1999-2002 was a rib on her (probably not but it's the wrestling business)

and who cares anyway (if true). A very attractive rich girl was wild in college. Like thats never happened before.

edit: and there was that report I think 2 years ago on some radio show where someone said they saw Steph smoke pot all night long at a party at BU She seemed pretty baked when they interviewed her for that Andre the Giant bio on A& E and that fits the time frame. But again this happened 15+ years ago

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking through this since the Macho's Outs With Vince came up on the Torch board, and of course the Savage Banged Steph story came up. What's really annoying looking back two years is this:

I transcribed Dave's comments on this from Monday night, complete with "you know"s and "I mean"s out the wazoo, and he doesn't seem to be joking at all, except maybe the Oliver thing. I don't know what that's about.

"I think that the reason is the same reason that everyone says. It's the reason everyone in the company says. It's the reason that is the only one that makes any sense. So I think that's the reason. I can't come up with any other reason. I don't know. I mean, I've heard that reason from so many people that are not internet rumormongers, I mean people who - all I know is that within the company as far as the top people, they all believe it, and nobody knows for sure, because it's never brought up...When I first heard the story I didn't believe it because I thought it was just some story, but then, and I mean even when people who are very high up in that company, after they left the company, would tell me that story I still didn't believe it, but, you know, after a certain number of years when it's just, you know, ideas are brought up for Randy Savage and the reaction - there's something real, real bad because, let's face it, I mean, I couldn't count the number of times Vince said he would never do business with Hulk Hogan, and he always does. So, I don't know...Actually, as time goes by, more people talk about it trying to say that it didn't happen. You should ask Oliver, 'cause Oliver knows."

Contrasted with this:

Take it FWIW.

So Oliver helped make people believe the Savage-Steph bullshit story was the reason Vince wouldn't use Savage, then two years later says that Vince never would have cared if Savage was banging Steph because she was a tramp anyway.

Like I said above:

Fucking asshole.

John

After reading Dave's bio and some other things, it seems clear to me that Savage had "fuck you" money and didn't want to make a comeback with Vince or anywhere else on the indy scene. I mean, from everything we've read about Savage, he seemed like the kind of guy who would get slighted very easily. For all we know, he might have still been pissed about Billionaire Ted skits years later and refused to go back to Vince on account of it. It's kind of a shame that Vince and Randy never got back together, but I think it seems obvious that this was what Randy wanted, not Vince.