Pro Wrestling Only

"Macho Madness: The Randy Savage Ultimate Collection"

stunning_grover

But then why would Vince go nuts at the very mention of his name?

Because Vince doesn't like guys who don't need him. And maybe with time, things that didn't piss Vince off at first gnawed at him..like the Slim Jim money, or Savage signing with WCW with no notice. Or even the rumor, while not true, got so out of hand he directed his ire at Savage. Also, when did Savage record that video where he said "HHH, I had her first!" in an attempt to play off the rumor? I'd imagine that would have pissed Vince off.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But then why would Vince go nuts at the very mention of his name?

Because Vince doesn't like guys who don't need him. And maybe with time, things that didn't piss Vince off at first gnawed at him..like the Slim Jim money, or Savage signing with WCW with no notice. Or even the rumor, while not true, got so out of hand he directed his ire at Savage. Also, when did Savage record that video where he said "HHH, I had her first!" in an attempt to play off the rumor? I'd imagine that would have pissed Vince off.

Regarding the bolded part, that really doesn't explain why Vince doesn't hold the same grudge against Bruno Sammartino. Every time you hear about WWE wanting to do something with Bruno, you hear no objection from Vince, even as Bruno keeps turning everything down.

By all accounts the WWE-Bruno spat is 100% on Bruno's side. Vince loves the guy, and why not since he's the one his dad built his company on. Bruno's always spoken of highly when mentioned on DVDs or on 24/7, he's the one that is holding a grudge most likely because he seems to blame Vince for David hating him.

Also I still think Vince wouldn't work with Savage not because he believed the Steph stories, but because he knew everyone else did and Vince probably thought it would make him look like a bitch.

I feel like the Stephanie stories surfaced after it was already apparent that Vince didn't want to work with Savage, and not the other way around. Like it was just something that someone said on a message board to explain the heat, and it's taken on a life of its own. I could be wrong since we're going back like 8 years on this.

Is it true Lanny had a contract with WCW while Randy was there, and paid something like a million a year despite not appearing anywhere in the company?

Closer to 200-350k. WCW thought it was worth it to appease Randy and have the Slim Jim connection. He only worked like once as Lanny didnt think he could wrestle to the standards of the time. Accounts differ but it is thought Randy bought the rights to the name of "Gorgeous George" for Lanny to use originally.

The problem:

Dave has asked. And it's clear from everyone he's talked to that they "believe" it, and thus Dave "believes" it.

We're past the point of Dave asking someone about it. If Dave truly believes it, even in the confused "Nothing else makes sense" basis, then it's something he should have dealt with explicitly in the bio. Dave claims he's heard it from enough people that it's clearly well sourced at this point that he could say:

"The story from many people within the business, including many who've worked with the WWE over the years, is..."

Report the story. Dave has done as much to keep it alive as anyone else, so he should have some balls as a reporter and report it.

John

The problem:

Dave has asked. And it's clear from everyone he's talked to that they "believe" it, and thus Dave "believes" it.

We're past the point of Dave asking someone about it. If Dave truly believes it, even in the confused "Nothing else makes sense" basis, then it's something he should have dealt with explicitly in the bio. Dave claims he's heard it from enough people that it's clearly well sourced at this point that he could say:

"The story from many people within the business, including many who've worked with the WWE over the years, is..."

Report the story. Dave has done as much to keep it alive as anyone else, so he should have some balls as a reporter and report it.

John

Have the obits traditionally been done in that light? Or do they work on a somewhat different level than the usual WON articles?

Is it true Lanny had a contract with WCW while Randy was there, and paid something like a million a year despite not appearing anywhere in the company?

Closer to 200-350k. WCW thought it was worth it to appease Randy and have the Slim Jim connection. He only worked like once as Lanny didnt think he could wrestle to the standards of the time. Accounts differ but it is thought Randy bought the rights to the name of "Gorgeous George" for Lanny to use originally.

Lanny said he wanted to work. But they never called him up. He would sometime call and ask if they had anything for him. He was a talented performer they could of founds something for him.

Lanny was still really good in Florida indies post WCW so I'm sure he would've done fine while he was signed there. He never worked a match for the company as far as I know, even something for international syndication like Frank Andersson or something that was taped before being scrapped and went unaired like babyface Giant managed by The Clipmaster (among many other things I probably forgot).

As far as The Rumor goes, has anyone asked Dave for comments on Oliver's post about how The Rumor can't be the reason because Stephanie was such a total ringrat whore who was being passed around by THE BOYS IN THE BACK who Oliver Knows because he is teh insider?

Have the obits traditionally been done in that light? Or do they work on a somewhat different level than the usual WON articles?

Art Barr's obit talked about his statutory rape issue and his issues. Curt Hennig's had some stuff that was unflattering, though perhaps Dave thought they were "wrestling stories" that he could run with. The Pillman piece was pretty brutal.

That Savage didn't go back was a topic Dave covered. He's talked about it on his boards, and on his radio show. But he's unwilling to put it in the WON.

John

went unaired like babyface Giant managed by The Clipmaster (among many other things I probably forgot).

What's all this then?

The Giant was scheduled to be turned face long before it actually happened. They taped matches in Orlando for Worldwide to air after the turn. His manager was Ed Leslie as The Clipmaster (as in the closes to straight up calling him Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake besides "Brother Bruti"). The turn was canceled and THE CLIPMASTER never appeared on TV.

went unaired like babyface Giant managed by The Clipmaster (among many other things I probably forgot).

What's all this then?

The Giant was scheduled to be turned face long before it actually happened. They taped matches in Orlando for Worldwide to air after the turn. His manager was Ed Leslie as The Clipmaster (as in the closes to straight up calling him Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake besides "Brother Bruti"). The turn was canceled and THE CLIPMASTER never appeared on TV.

Was this part of the WCW faction that was supposed to fight the nWo that was going to be led by Beefcake and supported by the Nasty Boys (that was thankfully scrapped)? Or was this something different?

Art Barr's obit talked about his statutory rape issue and his issues. Curt Hennig's had some stuff that was unflattering, though perhaps Dave thought they were "wrestling stories" that he could run with. The Pillman piece was pretty brutal.

That Savage didn't go back was a topic Dave covered. He's talked about it on his boards, and on his radio show. But he's unwilling to put it in the WON.

John

He's said some unflattering things about Flair (in a story that was as much an obit on his career as he's done on guys who've actually died), and that's one of his friends and heroes, so him being so unwilling to answer the one question his readers have to be asking him the most makes no sense. It's one thing if he doesn't know (and it's impossible to think someone in his position wouldn't know), it's another that he hints that he does know but won't tell out of some strange sense of decency.

Lanny said he wanted to work. But they never called him up. He would sometime call and ask if they had anything for him. He was a talented performer they could of founds something for him.

I've heard him say that too due to guilt or whatever. But him being subpar to what was required at the time was what he said about his match in WCW.

• 3 years later...