Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling overload?

Wahoos Leg

I wonder what sort of database software WWE uses for its internal video library database (which has notes about key spots in each match).

That would be awesome!  "Hey, we need a clip of Backlund with a bloody face."  "Oh, here's one:  File 1027G, item 46."  

*drools at the prospect*

*recoils at the amount of work required*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a Flair set would drive Will nuts, and probably eat up valueable time for other stuff. :)

4H was massive and comprehensive, and it's just 1985-88 with 1985 being a "small" year for the 4H and 1988 ending in September when Arn & Tully left.

Ric would be nuts.

Frankly, I think it probably would be more interesting to split it into different chunks, similar to what Corey has done with Hogan. I suspect he'll do one on Hogan in WCW, and Hogan before 1984, then probably something on Hogan after the death of WCW.

With Flair, you've got:

* Crockett/WCW Flair

* WWF Flair (1991-93)

* WCW Flair (1993-2001)

* WWE Flair (2002-2009)

* Touring Flair (whatever doesn't fit in those buckets)

And of course a newer on going set on whatever he's up to since leaving the WWE.

The first bucket being very specifically his Mid-Atlantic/Crockett/WCW stuff, leaving what he did out of that territory/promotion for the Touring Flair set.

The Touring Flair stuff is probably the most interesting. We've see the other three to death: most of us lived and watched through all or most of it, especially after Crockett went national. My guess is that a lot of us have seen a lot of the Touring stuff, but it's likely fresher than seeing Flair-Steamboat yet again.

John

Serious question (coming from someone whose wrestling viewing these days consists of watching RAW and little else) - I know DVDs are dirt cheap and availability of footage is higher than it has ever been, but has anyone really got the time and patience and desire to sit through a 37 disc set let alone a 100 disc set, especially one devoted to a single wrestler? I realise guys like Funk and Santo are awesome but it seems like overkill and I am genuinely curious whether anyone has watched and finished one of these sets. 15 discs of New Japan seems daunting enough and that at least covers a decade's worth of different wrestlers and styles. The height of my fandom was over 10 years ago when a 'best of' was usually an 8 hour comp tape at most and back then I would have dreamed to have this kind of stuff available so cheaply...in theory, but in practise I don't know if I could have sat through that much footage of one wrestler even back when I used to watch a lot of wrestling.

(For the record I think the work goodhelmet and co do is awesome especially for the completists and the best of 80s comps are great historical documents and the time and effort put into them must be staggering)

I watched the whole Eddy comp over time. But you're right. I don't buy Will's big comps and then watch them straight through. I just love knowing all the key stuff is there, so I can dive into a guy's career at whatever point I want on a given day. Today, I might feel like a disc or two of prime Funk in All-Japan. Next week, I might want to watch old man Terry on the indys. I don't want a superficial, eight-hour comp, because chances are, I've seen everything on it a bunch of times. But I'm not a huge fan of the "complete works" sets either. Will consistently strikes a better balance than any other comp maker.

I am nearing 14,000 DVDs in my collection.

No way in hell I will watch everything. The point isn't to watch everything but to have it available in case I do want to watch it. Plus, it helps in trades when I do need something else.

Unlike a ton of people who are tuned out of the current product, I am loving modern wrestling. As much as the 80s stuff? No, but fuck it, I enjoy it for what it is.

No way in hell I will watch everything. The point isn't to watch everything but to have it available in case I do want to watch it.

That's how I view things. The only major wrestling company in the world that seems to be truly healthy is WWE. I don't have faith in WWE maintaining its success once Vince is gone. Vince is a 65-year old man who has taken a lot of steroids in his life. Every other company in the world seems to be in bad shape.

Thus, I don't have much faith in there being a ton of current wrestling for me to watch when I get old. I may have to last the final 30-40 years of my life with just DVDs to watch. So I'm not freaking out about how I want to watch every 80s Japan TV season set from All Japan and New Japan, and how I want to get all Mid-South TV from 80-86, and how I want all the Memphis TV from the same era, and Mid-Atlantic TV, and who knows what else, and how there's so little time. I figure I'll have plenty of time eventually.

No way in hell I will watch everything. The point isn't to watch everything but to have it available in case I do want to watch it. Plus, it helps in trades when I do need something else.

Unlike a ton of people who are tuned out of the current product, I am loving modern wrestling. As much as the 80s stuff? No, but fuck it, I enjoy it for what it is.

Good lord, how do you store a collection that gigantic?

No way in hell I will watch everything. The point isn't to watch everything but to have it available in case I do want to watch it.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one who had that sort of mindset. I don't care too much for wrestling at the moment, but, shit, that could change tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

VERY interesting thread.

I get tired of people complaining about stuff they "have" to watch. I agree with whoever said watch what you want to and forget the rest. I think we would have a lot more wrestling fans today if people went to the effort of getting stuff they enjoyed instead of burning out on the easy access stuff that they lose interest in. I've lost count of how many people I've heard that have given up on wrestling because they hated what they "had to" watch and "didn't have time" for other stuff so gave up completely.

I still would like to think that some day I'll catch up on all I have. I probably have enough already that I haven't watched to last the rest of my life, but what's the point of owning all this stuff if I can't enjoy it by rewatching it? That's why I don't have to have everything. Theoretically I only get stuff I think I would ever watch. But honestly I could double my wrestling viewing (as if I had the time and maybe interest for that) and still be miserably behind. I can certainly see a day (and probably within 5 years) where I am totally disconnected with any current wrestling and can watch my stash. I already pretty much watch guys I'm already familiar with 80+% of the time so as the years go on there are less guys I'm a fan of. I actually consider it a good thing when I hear of more & more wrestling that doesn't interest me because that's less that will be thrown on the backlog. :)