Pro Wrestling Only

The "Confirmed Stories of Triple H Being A Total Douchebag" Thread

sek69

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remembered another one: Eugene. That was one of the stranger examples of HHH killing someone's heat, since there's no way that a retard gimmick could come within shouting distance of being a real top guy. Was it just because of how insanely over Eugene was when he first debuted? Whatever the motivation was, Captain Trips took it upon himself to kill that right in the cradle. If Dinsmore ever got anything but the weakest of token offense on HHH before inevitably getting beat down and pedigreed over and over again, I can't recall it.

He did put Batista over beyond any shadow of a doubt. He's the one guy who somehow outsmarted HHH at every turn and beat him decisively on PPV something like three shows in a row, before HHH took an extended sabbatical. One could question the wisdom of choosing Batista, of all guys, as the guy to put over, as he's not really a guy who would threaten HHH for the top spot, but he's the one example.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. He really thoroughly put Big Dave over in a way he's never done before or since. Either he just really liked the guy personally, or Trip was convinced that Batista would never be a threat to his own spot so it didn't matter how much he was put over. But even here you can come up with a minor quibble, it did feel like the vast majority of their Mania match was HHH beating the crap out of Batista for an indordinately long period of time.

When Benoit jumped from WCW, HHH obviously couldn't put a label on him of bad worker, so he started telling people that Benoit was good, and capable of having a great match, but only if he was carried by someone better.

Also: funny how it Just So Happened that Benoit's very first match in the Fed involved him getting pinned by HHH.

Kurt, on the other hand... they had good interaction.

Heck, better than good. I still sharply remember the amazing high-pitched feminine sqeual from the crowd when Kurt kissed Stephanie that one time.

There were a lot of awful parts of that Tribute show.

Let's not forget Neocon Bradshaw, literally saying we should blow up the entire Middle East.

Back to HHH/Steiner, that match going 20+ minutes was designed to show up Steiner. There was no way they couldn't know that wasn't the right way to debut him.

Absolutely. Steiner hadn't really worked a full match in two years. He also had some lingering injuries with his back and his foot that hadn't healed yet when he was signed, iirc. And he looked more roided up than ever before. Throwing him into a half-hour PPV main event is somewhat akin to throwing a wheelchair-bound paraplegic into the deep end of a swimming pool and expecting it to all come out okay.

I believe he also made it a point to tell everyone that Punk's wrestling style looked "simulated" when he first came in.

Was it Hunter or someone else backstage that tried to knock Punk by saying he just tries to re-enact the puro tapes he watches?
When Punk first came in, I agree with that general sentiment. Almost everything he did was a move or even a sequence of moves stolen directly from someone else. He did feel more like an e-fed or Create A Wrestler than an actual worker. Of course, he did get better.

Let's not forget Neocon Bradshaw, literally saying we should blow up the entire Middle East.

Not sure what "we'll turn your country into a parking lot" has to do with Wilsonian democracy-spreading but w/e.

Did he really say that ? I knew about Stephy's comment, but I don't remember about Bradshaw. Doesn't surprise me one bit though.

I'm glad I wasn't watching WWF anymore at this point. I would have thrown bricks at my TV set...

I remembered another one: Eugene

This was a period where HHH was trying to attach himself to anything that was over. It was a real problem as WWF has traditionally been good at protecting hot midcard attractions while putting anyone in a program opposite HHH is kiss of death. Also this was deep into HHH as guy who watches lots of tapes and tries to cosplay classic matchups. Eugene was over as wrestling idiot savant who did lots of old school goofy roll ups and Rip Rogers type airplane spin into dizzy axe handle spots. The HHH program had HHH trying to rerun Flair v idiot strongman (rick Stiener) match which really wasn't Eugene's gimmick till that match up.

Someone really should start effort to rename the Won Disgusting Promotional Award the "Stephany Mcmahon terrorism interview" tribute award. Much like wrestler of year award became "Lou Thesz/Ric Flair" award or the best brawler became "Bruiser Brody". The pinnacle to which everything else aspires.

It feels like it would be easier to lobby for the name change than to lobby for Orville Brown,Cien Caras or any brit for Hall of fame inclusion.

True.

What's the Kobashi Award? I would have thought the Most Outstanding, but he won few of those. He won loads of MOTY, so that might be the one.

Benoit ruined things as the Technical was headed for him.

The Announcer Award will be the JR. Underrated is the Bobby. Surprising that Box Office isn't already the Hulk.

John

I always thought Stephanie's 9/11 comments were less her comparing the attack to her father's steroid trial... but rather her using the steroid trial as the best example from her life that a family comes closer together under hardship and America would bundle together and become stronger? It might not have been the best way to make the point, but I don't recall her calling it "just like when they attacked my dad!" Bradshaw's remarks are far worse...

From the master recapper CRZ:

http://slashwrestling.com/monday/smackdown.010913

STEPHANIE McMAHON: A few years ago, some people tried to destroy my family.

They attacked my father's reputation, they attacked my mother's reputation,

and they attacked the World Wrestling Federation. They tried to rip us

apart...but all they did was make my family stronger. And that's exactly

how America feels right now. Because on Tuesday, America was attacked.

Because America is a united nation. And together, we stand strong. I am

incredibly proud to be an American citizen, and I will stand up for my

rights and my freedom.

Maybe it's on youtube as well if someone wants to dig it up.

It came across as really, really, really bad. Awful. Jaw dropping. :)

John

Thanks for the link. Here's the specific line from Bradshaw:

"You guys who are out there, we're gonna find your ass. We're gonna make whatever country's hiding you into a stinking parking lot."

Pretty sure that would have gotten about 75-85% approval in the US on that specific day.

Thanks for the transcript, John. I still find Bradshaw's worse of the two. I'm sure in her mind Stephanie wasn't saying that the steroid trial was as horrific an act (although for her on a personal level it probably was), I still read that as more of a failed, horribly-stated attempt at a good message, whereas Bradshaw's just war mongering.

I can't confirm this one but I read that Hunter agreed to put Benoit over at WrestleMania XX because he felt Benoit would never get over because he's too bland and they'd have to put the belt back on Hunter quickly.

I think the story Dave Meltzer at the time and Matthew Randazzo in Ring Of Hell had was that the plan was always to put the belt back on Hunter quickly, regardless of how Benoit got over as World champion. Before Summerslam, plans changed at the last moment and they used Randy Orton as the bridge to get from Benoit to Hunter, which turned out wonderfully for Benoit, Orton and Eugene.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. He really thoroughly put Big Dave over in a way he's never done before or since. Either he just really liked the guy personally, or Trip was convinced that Batista would never be a threat to his own spot so it didn't matter how much he was put over. But even here you can come up with a minor quibble, it did feel like the vast majority of their Mania match was HHH beating the crap out of Batista for an indordinately long period of time.

Well that quibble and the fact that Batista was soon shipped to Smackdown to flounder on his own where he couldn't overshadow Hunter and was already a heat magnet for this Hunter inspired propaganda in an interview with the UK Sun months earlier:

Who do you think is winning in the rivalry between Raw and Smackdown?

I don't consider it a rivalry at all. We're a better show, period. There's no comparison.

I feel for Smackdown, I just don't know what's going on over there.

I try to watch the shows but, for me, they're hard to sit through. And that really makes me sick as it should be a top show.

I've watched their tapings live and it seems like a lot of the guys couldn't care less. There's a lack of passion and pride.

They need the stress of a live show on them, like we have. A lot of them think: "Oh, it's taped. If I mess up, we'll just redo it."

They're more worried about where they're going after the show, which also makes me sick because it means they're not there to work.

The "proud patriot" Stephanie McMahon comment was really dumb because the organization who tried to destroy her family, her father's reputation, her mother's reputation and the World Wrestling Federation was the U.S. Government.

Guest Slickster

I really don't feel like we should use 'heat of the moment' unscripted comments like from the 9/13/01 SmackDown! as evidence for or against somebody. Besides, they had no influence on the business, which is closer to what this thread is about.

Well that was cashing in on him winning the title in '04... and they even went to the hassle (?) of getting some Japanese footage through TV-Asahi. I recall that VHS being better than most at the time, and I've heard there's one on deck, but yeah, it is strange, though putting that down to HHH is a bit of a stretch.

He returned on 11/19/07, and they knew several months earlier that he'd be back.

The WWE has released the following wrestler sets since then:

11/22/07: Shawn Michaels: Heartbreak & Triumph

02/13/08: The Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin

03/11/08: The Undertaker: 15-0

03/25/08: Triple H: King of Kings

04/29/08: Twist of Fate: The Matt & Jeff Hardy Story

06/03/08: The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment

07/08/08: Nature Boy Ric Flair: The Definitive Collection

09/09/08: The Life and Times of Mr. Perfect

11/11/08: Viva La Raza: The Legacy of Eddie Guerrero

12/09/08: The Twisted, Disturbed Life of Kane

12/23/08: Edge: A Decade of Decadence

06/09/09: Macho Madness: The Ultimate Randy Savage Collection

10/20/09: Batista: I Walk Alone

11/17/09: Hulk Hogan: The Unreleased Archives

12/15/09: Jeff Hardy: My Life My Rules

02/16/10: John Morrison: Rock Star

03/09/10: Shawn Michaels: My Journey

06/08/10: The Undertaker's Most Dangerous Matches

06/29/10: Ricky Steamboat: The Life of the Dragon

Two things jump to mind looking at that:

They slowed in doing wrestlers ones last year, which one would think is when they normally would have done one. The two major ones were frankly Savage and Hogan, with just two guys on the current roster getting sets: Dave and Jeff.

Still, it's pretty easy to see they could have fit Chris in there somewhere.

John

Most of the time, with respect to guys on the current roster, WWE will release DVD sets of those who are babyfaces. Edge was an exception. I can't remember if Kane was face or heel when his set came out. Of course, Batista's was released and THEN they turn him heel.

I'd have to check Graham's site for previous releases, but if memory serves, that's the general pattern, with some exceptions (heck, they threw in a McMahon DVD during the DX feud). Of course, because of those exceptions, no reason not to fit Jericho in there somewhere.

A Jericho DVD comp by WWE would be really good too, as they could go back to 1994 SMW, 1996 ECW, 1996-1999 WCW, and 1999-present WWE. That's sixteen years worth of stuff, not including any Sudden Impact stuff they might dig up if they looked for it from Canada. As it is, 80% of Jericho's career is laying in the WWE archives somewhere, which is remarkable considering the legnth of his career (and as an aside, is anybody else stunned that Jericho has been around for 20 years now? I feel old).

This thread reminded me of something: WWE has yet to release any Chris Jericho DVD retrospective. I only recall a hastily-produced VHS release in the spring of 2000. Even Chris Benoit got a surprisingly well-done DVD set.

They're probably waiting until he leaves for good, which will either be when Fozzy really catches or when his second book gets released.

Can someone confirm whether this is true?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.p...2484c29f91927d2

I know HHH mentioned in a interview with quite a lot of pride that they planned the iron man match behind Rock's back. Then, when Rock found out a few weeks before it was supposed to happen he was pissed.