Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Obits, HOFer and other bios:

Chris Candido

Eddy Guerrero

Ann Calvello (Roller derby star, obit serves basically as a fascinating history of Roller Derby that shows why it was, indeed, the closest thing to pro wrestling in its day).

Kerry Von Erich (The version in Tributes is heavily edited)

Martin Karadagian (HOF bio by Kurt Brown and Steve Sims)

Brian Pillman bio from the time of the Pillman WWE DVD release

News coverage and stuff:

The off-format Feb '91 issue that serves as a week in the life of Dave as all sorts of stuff goes down with the WWF and his bosses at The National Sports Daily.

The WWF scandals coverage in '92, especially the issue covering the Donahue show with Dave, Vince, Bruno, et al on the panel.

Japan trip issues.

The detailed listing from during the Benoit fallout of wrestlers who worked for full time/major promotions and died young in the previous 20 years. Morbid, but important, as it gives better context to the lists than anyone else has.

General history pieces:

WCCW piece from when Heroes of World Class came out

Other:

2006 awards issue from Jan 2007. Beginning of the recent trend of Dave giving his thoughts on the awards results, but it also has a bizarre "potential WWE HOF candidates" list feature where Dave seems really bitter and analyzes the list (I think the one leaked by Hogan putting his live conversation with someone from WWE on the air on Bubba The Love Sponge's show) an oddly hilarious way.

Those are off the top of my head.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ann Calvello (Roller derby star, obit serves basically as a fascinating history of Roller Derby that shows why it was, indeed, the closest thing to pro wrestling in its day).

Roller derby's still around, believe it or not. There's a group that ran in the Nashville Fairgrounds for years (I dunno if they're still there now) and regularly outdrew most wrestling shows in the same building by a large margin.

This is a must read, one of Meltzer's greatest issues. Really awesome stuff.

Also, there was a great issue in the Spring of 2004, where Dave recollects his thoughts on the 1991-1992 scene, all the scandals that went down during that time period. He ends that piece with a cute anecdote about Hart-Michaels.

What issue was it in? I'd like to read it.

What issue was it in? I'd like to read it.

April 3, 2006

I do not own a single WON Newsletter, nor have I ever read a full issue. I am interested in purchasing some. I have no real interest in nowadays stories, gossip, and/or rumors. I am instead interested in past issues. What are some key issues I should get?

I feel like I am venturing into puro again.

I have entertained the idea of selling my WON collection (complete from 85 to 08 + yearbooks). Just never decided on a fair price ...

I doubt you would be willing to only part with specific issues because it would leave a hole in your collection. While I appreciate the thought, I'm not going to invest into something like that because I don't know where I would put them, shipping prices would be insane, and I might dislike them instantly.

Roller derby's still around, believe it or not. There's a group that ran in the Nashville Fairgrounds for years (I dunno if they're still there now) and regularly outdrew most wrestling shows in the same building by a large margin.

I know, but the wrestling influences are gone in much of the country, where it's often a shoot. I believe that it's mainly some of the California based groups that are still worked.

I know, but the wrestling influences are gone in much of the country, where it's often a shoot. I believe that it's mainly some of the California based groups that are still worked.

From my understanding, there are still a few nostalgic group acts, but yeah, almost all of roller derby nowadays is a shoot. I remember a while back that Dave talked about that as a reason why he can't get into modern roller derby.

There is a "shoot" team up here in Thunder Bay. they've been looking to get into a league or get one started for a few years. They occasionally bring in teams for exhibition matches, but not very often.

There is a "shoot" team up here in Thunder Bay. they've been looking to get into a league or get one started for a few years. They occasionally bring in teams for exhibition matches, but not very often.

Present day roller derby is a shoot. I'm guessing the reason Thunder Bay can't get more games for their team is no one wants to make the 18 hour drive from Trawna. It's pretty big in southern ontario.

Agreed. It's common practice here to look towards Manitoba and Minnesota for leagues of any sort to participate in, given our location...my guess is that there just isn't anything happening they can get into there, yet. Plus travel costs is still a huge factor, even when talking about shorter distances than Southern Ontario.

Present day roller derby is a shoot. I'm guessing the reason Thunder Bay can't get more games for their team is no one wants to make the 18 hour drive from Trawna. It's pretty big in southern ontario.

Maybe some are shoots but many like the one here are works.

That's not quite right. Dave did kind of blow off the Quinton Jackson motorboating Karen Bryant because she was comfortable with it, which would be fair enough if Quinton didn't have a track record of similar behaviour with female interviewers that weren't as appreciative. But he did say the criticism of Rogan was deserved. I get the sense that Dave is so used to Dana and Rogan's nature that he can't muster much outrage for the situation.

I'm just amazed how Joe Rogan didn't learn from his "f*****" mistake. Is it that difficult to avoid using offensive words on message boards when you're a public figure?

Whilst I a) think there's something really wrong about being so subserviant to sponsors, B) wonder why 'cunt' is so offensive and no-one even bats an eyelid at 'dick' and c) if he were to be fired for swearing it would be the most ridiculous firing since Finlay's... if it's on a message board rather than even an in-the-moment tweet, it's a silly move from him to say the least, and he should definitely have learned from the whole 'faggot' thing.

a. If they want to become a mainstream sport and get that kind of money/fame/respect, they need to clean this sort of thing up.

b. The point of profanity is that you're using the most extreme/offensive word possible to express something. "Poop" is not as bad as "shit", etc. And "dick" in certain contexts would get censored.

c. It's not even about him getting fired or not, but rather that it's being waved away without a company apology or the company trying to institute a media policy to prevent it from happening in the future.

B) wonder why 'cunt' is so offensive and no-one even bats an eyelid at 'dick'

Partly because we say it is. "Screw" and "fuck" have identical meanings, in both literal and figurative terms, but one is held to be vastly more naughty than the other. Same with "crap" and "shit".

But in this case it's slightly different, because it's a word used to denigrate what used to be a powerless minority. "Dick" doesn't pack the same punch that "cunt" does for much the same reasons that the n-word is considered to be way more offensive than "cracker" or any of the other lame ethnic slurs for white people. When it's a word which has historically been hurled at targets who couldn't fight back (we've had plenty of dicks as President, but no cunts), it becomes much more forbidden and taboo once such prejudice has started going out of style.