Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

What I can't figure out is why Bresloff would give the 78K number to Dave.

As Dave tells it,:

- Zane called him right after the Hogan episode of E! True Hollywood Story aired, said blah blah can you believe they used the 93,000.

- Dave said "That's not the real number?"

- Zane said no, found the relevant documents, and faxed them over.

I'm pretty sure I read the 78,000 figure in a "this week in history" blurb in the Torch before is all happened, though.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he was working for WCW why did he still have access to WWF's internal records and be able to fax them to Dave?

I swear the "Bresloff gives Dave the 78K number" is almost as confusing as insisting that there were only 78K in the building to begin with.

Maybe he had copies of some of those documents, as a sort of "portfolio" for his next employers to show his previous success.

From this week's WON:

At the meeting, it came across like Vince was obsessed with being able to claim that WrestleMania was the social media event of the year. The meeting was all about hashtags and not one thing was mentioned about putting on a good show or having good matches on the show.

Why in the world would Vince tell people to put on a good show for Wrestlemania during a social media meeting? "Alright crew, I want you to go out there and have a great match...six days from now. And now some more about hashtags..." C'mon Dave.

From this week's WON:

At the meeting, it came across like Vince was obsessed with being able to claim that WrestleMania was the social media event of the year. The meeting was all about hashtags and not one thing was mentioned about putting on a good show or having good matches on the show.

Why in the world would Vince tell people to put on a good show for Wrestlemania during a social media meeting? "Alright crew, I want you to go out there and have a great match...six days from now. And now some more about hashtags..." C'mon Dave.

More like wrestlers reacting to Dave about stuff like this:

Posted Image

If he was working for WCW why did he still have access to WWF's internal records and be able to fax them to Dave?

I swear the "Bresloff gives Dave the 78K number" is almost as confusing as insisting that there were only 78K in the building to begin with.

Maybe he had copies of some of those documents, as a sort of "portfolio" for his next employers to show his previous success.

Wouldn't he appear more successful if he stuck with the 93K number? ;)

Awesome.

I really wish Dave would get the idea that I am not trolling him in that thread. It's impossible to disagree with or question him on that board without him thinking that he's being trolled.

Something I've been wondering about since reading Gary Hart's book that came up in the Blanchard bio:

Was the southwest really ahead of the curve on cable TV? The Texas promotional war was in late 1966. Cable TV/community antenna TV had already existed in various forms for almost 2 decades at that point, but I didn't think it was close to entrenched enough to matter until the late '70s at the earliest. Did KTVT really reach the whole southwest back then as the story is told?

At the time WCW was really laying the boots to the WWF. What better way than tarnishing their biggest moment ever?

At the time WCW was really laying the boots to the WWF. What better way than tarnishing their biggest moment ever?

That actually makes as much sense as any other reason WCW operative Bresloff gave Dave the 78K number.

Tarnishing his own biggest moment as a promoter? In a private conversation? For the information to be spread to an audience of a few thousand people? While implying that your company's own current top star is less of a draw than previously thought and delusional about his own success? If Bischoff went on Nitro and claimed that the attendance figure was false, that would be one thing, but I honestly can't see why Zane would work Dave about that. Is it possible Zane himself got worked about the number?

Who knows the truth of the Zane story. I think it is nearly impossible that Meltzer made it up, but the fact that Zane was the sole source and was dead when he came out has led others to make that accusation. I think it is very possible that 78k was the PAID number. What I do know is that if the actual capacity of that building is 81k for football, based on the visual evidence we have there is zero argument that 78k was the total number of people in the building. It's literally not possible