Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is nearly impossible that Meltzer made it up, but the fact that Zane was the sole source and was dead when he came out has led others to make that accusation.

Can anyone think of any examples where Meltzer got caught deliberately lying like that? For all the people who whine about him making up bullshit, I can't think of a single case where fiction-reported-as-fact didn't trace back to a source giving him some bad info.

Isn't Dave's standard response to the "the building held 81k for football" that all stadiums and sports arenas work their attendance capacity or something like that?

Yes.

Isn't it usually true? Dave's not the only guy I've heard that from.

The NFL for the Super Bowl had no reason to work the number. It wasn't a record, and they really didn't give two shits about what the number was. They just report it.

There were more people at Mania that at the Super Bowl in that building. Many more because there weren't people sitting on the playing field while the Super Bowl was being played. :)

As far as "paid" crowd, I think some of us offered that one up as a leg to Dave when the issue was argued back on Classics: an out for him to agree that there were more than 78K in the building (given what the photos showed and Dave's own comments that it was totally sold out and packed) while still being able to hang some credible explanation of his 78K number. He's never chosen to take that out, and instead sticks with:

"There were only 78K people in the building."

John

Yahoo Mixed Martial Arts Opinion & Analysis

Don't know if that's just coded to have people dropped off if they're not active, or if they cleaned it up.

Can still manually find an archive for Dave's pieces this way:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/expertsarchive...or=Dave+Meltzer

Has Dave landed anywhere else, either as a free lance or as part of a site? Or is he just WO-4 now?

John

Yahoo Mixed Martial Arts Opinion & Analysis

Don't know if that's just coded to have people dropped off if they're not active, or if they cleaned it up.

Can still manually find an archive for Dave's pieces this way:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/expertsarchive...or=Dave+Meltzer

Has Dave landed anywhere else, either as a free lance or as part of a site? Or is he just WO-4 now?

John

I haven't seen Dave's byline on any sites outside of WON/F4W since the last piece he did on Yahoo back in January. Grantland could use an MMA writer where Dave's long form pieces would fit with the other pieces posted on that site. Grantland does have David Shoemaker covering pro graps currently and I think he does a really good job. Dave if brought on the Grantland staff could also provide podcasts w/Bryan's equipment as Simmons seems really gun-ho in terms of having audio on his site along with with well written pieces. Since Sporty has been a reader of the Observer over the years he knows what kind of work Dave does.

I don't remember Dave bringing up that he is no longer providing content to Yahoo on any of the shows he does on the Observer site and I listen to just about all the pods he does.

This is from the latest back issue and is awesome:

I'm very upset with your comment on page 19 of the 1/16 issue concerning Hiroyoshi Tenzan being introduced to the pharmacy while in Austria. I'm quite sure that Otto Wanz would be absolutely furious that this comment was made using his name. I also find this is a very derogatory statement and insist it be retracted immediately. For you information, Hiroyoshi Yamamoto has been on a very strict training program for the past two years along with a special diet to build up his body and put the weight on him. This young man trains several hours per day and takes much pride in the results of his hard work. He is very dedicated to his profession and does not need stupid comments like this to damage his image. I feel you should apologize to both Wanz and Hiroyoshi.

Joe Daigo

New Japan Pro Wrestling

DM: The comment was meant as a joke, particularly in using Otto Wanz name. But since he was offended by it, I apologize. If Hiroyoshi has never used steroids, I apologize about that remark. If he has, that's another story.

"special diet"

That's a hoot. This is probably around the time another person who was juiced out of his mind explained to Dave that his great conditioning was due to a "good diet". Dave and I used "Good Diet" as a running joke about juiced up guys for most of the rest of the decade.

Dave's response there was a classic non-apology apology.

John

"special diet"

That's a hoot. This is probably around the time another person who was juiced out of his mind explained to Dave that his great conditioning was due to a "good diet". Dave and I used "Good Diet" as a running joke about juiced up guys for most of the rest of the decade.

Dave's response there was a classic non-apology apology.

John

Dave and Bryan had a great wink-wink "this guy's roided out of his mind" conversation after the return of Skip Sheffield/Ryback to Smackdown. Dave even mentioned that he might replace Mason Ryan as his "c'mon now" example of how strictly they manage the Wellness Policy.

The 30th anniversary of Lawler/Kaufman was this week so the angle has been discussed quite often. Dave has never seemed to be a big fan of the angle. Was that the consensus among smarks at the time?

Pre-newsletter days. It happened in 1982. The WON didn't launch until early 1983. Dave may have mentioned it a bit, and I did Andy comeback at some point in 1983? I never was much of a student of it.

John

I think Dave takes a lot of unwarranted grief on this board, but then he goes and says stuff like this regarding Richards/Elgin:

It's like a rule now, every match with small guys lacks psychology and selling, even when it doesn't. Besides, the psychology of smaller guy wrestling and bigger guy wrestling is different to begin with. In a real fight, you don't have as much selling of small guy punches as compared to big guy punches.

Oh, boy. Where to begin with this one? First of all, small guys can take less punishment than big guys, so shouldn't they cancel each other out? Second, the current trend of no-selling can largely be traced to the 90s All Japan heavyweight division. He goes on to say the following:

If a match has perfect execution, can get a crowd going without weapons and without one guy even being classed as a main eventer, can make a guy who nobody thought of as a contender get people to think he was winning the title, I'm not saying it's necessary 5 stars, but what it doesn't lack is psychology.

How does perfect execution improve a match's psychology?

I keep trying to get this point across:

There is no such thing as "No Psychology".

We can argue whether psychology is good or bad, dumb or brilliant, pedestrian or sublime, goofy or creative, etc. But you really can't argue that there isn't any psychology.

People who argue that a Davey match doesn't have psych are flat out wrong.

People who argue that a Davey match has bad, dumb, pedestrian or goofy psych... those folks may have a point.

And that's coming from someone who doesn't hate Davey as much as the Davey Richards Sux Cox Brigade. I'm pretty tolerant/indifferent of his goofiness, at least live.

Now Eddie Edwards, on the other hand...

;)

John

I used to joke that this board was a Dave Meltzer watchdog group, but I think we've hit the point that it's sort of asinine to even bother joking about that.

That said, can anyone point me to a juniors match on the indies in the last year with really good psychology? Most of the stuff i see pimped are more along the lines of Sami Callihan or Luke Gallows or what not.

The issue is the style itself. It's evolved to a point where you have to get in all your shit and work a rapid fire pace or else the fans will shit on the match since they're conditioned to be gorged on action and moves and fighting spirit and what have you. It's a vicious circle, especially since if you won't work that match, someone else on the card will.