Pro Wrestling Only

RAW tonight

sek69

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Danielson is booked for Gathering of Juggalos along with kind of awesome group of West Coast rappers (Spice 1, Brother Lynch Hung, above the Law, TechN9ne, etc).

The Juggalos wont be chucking ties at him, just the traditional garbage.

And Danielson is booked for Gathering of Juggalos along with kind of awesome group of West Coast rappers (Spice 1, Brother Lynch Hung, above the Law, TechN9ne, etc).

I work with a girl at the club who's a big ICP/ Juggelette". She's very nice, not really stupid, but maybe smokes too much weed. I was talking to her one night and for some reason wrestling came up and she sorta laughed at me when I admitted I was a fan. I said to her that I thought she'd get it, "after all, those gatherings you go to have wrestling."

She's all, "Oh but that's real! I saw a guy get all cut up with glass, etc, etc". I started to explain how guys will actually cut themselves up and shit for a fake sport, and the idea baffled her. It was then one of those times when a person has to stop before saying something like, "Come on, you're not stupid" as to not offend. So I dropped it and went back to my booth. :lol:

The cynic in me wonders if Hunter saw the plans for SummerSlam with the 7 on 7 tag and decided now was a good time to get his arm surgery done.

1. I doubt they booked that 7 on 7 too far in advance.

2. Why wouldn't he want to come back now? He can be the mystery GM and steal all the heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Things I don't understand about WWE, volume #170: Why is Howard Finkel considered too old for TV despite still being by far the best wrestling announcer alive, yet they still let Jerry Lawler have a match on RAW?

I mean, I like Memphis as much as the next guy, but 60 year old Jerry in the ring with the 2010 WWE roster is not a pretty sight.

I disagree. He was in the match for all of one minute and showed great fire and athleticism, and even got a "Jerry" chant started.

That match was weird though. I think the booking of it totally worked, and it was a good idea, but they cut all the babyface comeback spots too short. Watch the final minutes of World War 3 '96 sometime and see them milk Luger vs the entire NWO perfectly. Luger had a flurry for just the right of time before ultimately losing. Also, the post-match Eddy vs DDP at Starrcade '96 with Eddy briefly getting in shots on Hall, Nash, and Syxx was well-timed before he lost out in the numbers game. Bourne didn't even have to get any wins, but 30-60 seconds more of offense would have had the crowd going crazy and would have helped him even if they did beat him in the end and attack him after the match.

I'm not saying he was terrible as a wrestler, but the visual of him in the ring with 13 other guys younger and in better shape than him did him no favors.

Was he supposed to look younger and in better shape? He's in the grizzled veteran role. As long as he can still go - which he can - his age isn't really a detriment to that.

Him not being in great shape tends to be more noticeable on RAW in a 7 on 7 match than it does say, on Memphis Wrestling.

Besides, my point was how come Vince is okay with a 60 year old wrestler appearing on his TV show than a 60 year old announcer (a role where looks are far less important).

Because Jerry Lawler is a 60 year old who makes rare ring appearances, will always be taken seriously regardless of his age, and will always help make his opponents look good. Howard Finkel is an old dude who says peoples names before their match.

....and no one who has said people's names before matches have done it as well as Howard did.

Also, Lawler is taken seriously in the WWE? Maybe by people like us who have emotional attachment to old Memphis stuff, but I'd wager the vast WWE audience just sees him as the guy who used to talk about boobs all the time and lost a Kiss My Foot match to Bret Hart.

Physically, Lawler and Flair have to be two of the most ageless wrestlers ever. These are two guys that have taken thousands of bumps over the years, and they still move around better than most ordinary people at 60. It must be genetic. Most wrestlers end up much more broken down, at younger ages, while taking probably 20% of the abuse.