-
Posts
8950 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by C.S.
-
I just finished reading Confessions of the Game Doctor by Bill Kunkel (which can be purchased as an ebook for a limited time from https://storybundle.com/games - and no, I have nothing to do with that site, author, book, etc.). It's mostly about Kunkel's lengthy career as a video game scribe, obviously, but he also wrote about wrestling on the side and there were a few interesting tidbits about that. - Kunkel and his partners Arnie Katz and Joyce Worley created the original Micro League Wrestling PC game (remember that?) - Andre was ornery and drunk during an autograph signing and hated doing them - all because of his disease. Nothing new there. - Funny Sting autograph signing story. Everyone expected the singer and wondered "what happened to him?" when they saw the wrestler Sting, as if the singer suddenly became very sick or weird. Hahaha. - Bill Cosby was an "unpleasant" asshole during an autograph signing, even though he was paid to be pleasant. Okay, that has nothing to do with wrestling, but I found it interesting. Keep in mind, this book was written years before the current controversy. Kunkel's first words about his side career as a wrestling writer described it almost dismissively - referring to it as wrestling "of all things" - but the guy was obviously a true blue fan, considering that he wrote for The Wrestling Perspective for several years (which was a great newsletter, but I'm guessing only the hardest of hardcore wrestling fans knew about it). To be fair, he did mention his wrestling fandom few more times in the book without any shame. The book probably isn't worth it just for the wrestling content, but if you like games too, it's a great read.
-
I was hoping the Rivalries shows would be like the Bret/Shawn Rivalries DVD/Blu-Ray, with the two parties in the same room swapping stories - but instead it's just another documentary feature, right? Kind of disappointing, if you ask me.
-
Sounds like something screwed up during the update. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
-
Very fun show. I found the Zayn/Neville match a bit slow and lacking as I watched it, but after thinking about it for a few minutes and seeing the big picture, I realize it told a damn good story. And that's not even counting the fantastic Owens turn, which I called mere seconds before it happened, just because I wondered why Owens came out to hug Zayn again. I thought, either this guy is a major spotlight hog or he's turning. Still an awesome and unexpected moment though, because I didn't think we'd get this feud so quickly. Can't wait! Speaking of turns, I was actually rooting for one from Finn Balor or Hideo Itami during their match, because a rivalry between them is a lot more interesting to me than anything they can do as a team. I bet we'll get that split eventually, and some awesome matches after that. The Ascension doesn't do much for me, and the Lucha Dragons feel like a WCW Thunder jobber team. Balor clearly had the best entrance of the night (almost ruined by the announcers idiotically praising Balor's "creativity" until someone presumably yelled into their earpieces and told them to emphasize the mind game aspect instead), but The Vaudevillians were a close second with a really cool and creative (there's that word again) entrance that made me pop. I was hoping they'd beat the Thunder Lizards. I couldn't tell who was supposed to be face and heel between Charlotte and Sasha Banks, but I was rooting for Sasha. None of the matches were five-star classics, but this was a fast, fun show that actually felt important - something that can be rare at times for the WWE - because there were several major developments, new stars established, a feel-good title change, and an awesome ending. I walked away feeling very satisfied, and what more can you ask for?
-
What a ridiculous statement... I was never a Luger fan, and even I was cheering for him during all of this. One of the most memorable moments of the Monday Night Wars by a mile. A shame his reign lasted only six days, but his victory and post-match speech on Nitro were both beyond glorious.
-
Who should have come along at a different time or place?
C.S. replied to JaymeFuture's topic in Pro Wrestling
No way Henry becomes NWA Champion in the '80s. Everyone in wrestling was still very behind-the-times and racist back then. Yes, Watts pushed JYD, but that was only one territory and let's not forget his infamous Torch Talk interview. Plus, Teddy Long has gone on record about the racism he experienced in wrestling (you can see what he said on the WWE Network for only $9.99). And didn't Meltzer recently report that the n-word was a business term for black wrestlers well into the '90s? With all of that working against Henry, I can't see it happening for him in the '80s, no matter what an impressive physical specimen he would've been at the time. -
I'd take that more seriously if it came from anyone other than Michael Hayes, who - by his own admittance - has smoked a mind-altering substance or two in his day. This. At least in my case. I don't hate Roman - I like him well enough - but he's nowhere near ready to main event WrestleMania or even be in the main event scene at all.
-
The Slammys are rigged, right? Because how else would Roman Reigns win Superstar of the Year? He's not that over.
-
Who should have come along at a different time or place?
C.S. replied to JaymeFuture's topic in Pro Wrestling
Big Show seems like the obvious one. Would've been a HUGE star (no pun intended) in any other era. -
I have to disagree about the WCW Watts era. I thought Williams and Gordy were incredible during that time. Yes, they got the super-push, which probably helped make them look even better in my then-teenage mind, but I remember their moves being awesome, powerful, and impactful. Everything looked "real" for lack of a better word.
-
Heavenly Bodies were one of my favorite teams as a kid, and no one brought the sleaze better than "The Gigolo." The SMW Tag Team Titles being defended at the Survivor Series - Rock 'n Roll Express vs. Heavenly Bodies - was really groundbreaking in an era where no other territory ever acknowledged. The Bodies' SummerSlam match a few months earlier vs. The Steiners was also great (except for the result). WCW wasted him as Jimmy Graffiti, but what else is new? I remember thinking the outfit was really cool though.
- 13 replies
-
- Heavenly Bodies
- SMW
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
On that note, Scott Steiner winning the TV Title and turning heel against Ricky Steamboat was a similar situation and upset. Unfortunately, Steiner left WCW right after, and the TV Title was dropped. But that could have been great if he had stayed.
-
Bob Holly is the latest guest. I wonder how that is. Holly's book was far and away the best wrestling book in many years.
-
PJ Walker (the future Aldo Montoya/Justin Credible) beating IRS is definitely up there. What was the point of this angle? They never followed it up with any kind of push for PJ Walker. Aldo did get pushed later on, but they never connected that character back to PJ.
-
Every episode of Total Divas is now on Hulu Plus (which wasn't the case as of a few weeks ago), but the Network still only has Season 1. While I realize no one here cares about Total Divas, the fact that a "competing service" has WWE content that the WWE's own service does not is just flat out ridiculous. I understand why Raw and Smackdown are delayed on the Network (contracts, etc.), but that's crappy too because Hulu Plus gets them 24 hours later. As someone else here suggested, the Network really should be a "one stop shop" for WWE fans.
-
Didn't he get a low money offer to go to OVW (or whatever the WWE's developmental territory was at the time) and refuse to take it because he'd have to relocate and jeopardize his wife's high paying job in the process? I swear I remember hearing something along those lines a while back.
-
This smacks of revisionist history. MMA didn't mean nearly as much 15 years ago as it does now. Boxing, while on the decline, was still a way bigger deal back then. Whatever charisma and mic skills Shamrock had never really translated to the WWE environment. The thought that he ever would've been a bigger deal than Michaels in that match is just flat out absurd, and that's even if you think HBK was wildly overrated like some people here do.
-
Yep, the Rhino win was a genuine surprise, and then they went right back to Jarrett. I never stuck with TNA for long because bullshit like that made them a complete joke.
-
I never loved him, but I did like him. I remember his TNA World Title win over Jeff Jarrett at Bound For Glory (2005) - as meaningless as it ultimately was - being a pretty decent match and a nice surprise. Edit: According to Wiki, the Jarrett match was only 5 minutes and change, but Rhino was in another huge match right before that, which was under 15 minutes, so I'm probably remembering both matches as one memorable event in my head.
-
Well, this isn't good... Wrestling Inc. - Arrest Warrant Issued For Heath Slater, WWE Lawyer Responds I remember hearing something about this at the time, but I thought it had long been settled. I guess not.
-
That was me. Umaga was awesome, but he lost to Cena and then he was back down the card once the feud was over...like an old school Hogan monster opponent.
-
There is no way the majority of the fanbase is going to buy Daniel Bryan beating Undertaker. He would suffer a major backlash. There might have been a backlash, just because the Streak was broken, but that would've applied to anyone breaking it. This nonsense about it "being unrealistic" for Bryan (or any smaller wrestler) to beat a bigger wrestler has always struck me as a dishonest talking point. It's wrestling. David vs. Goliath is one of the most basic storylines (wrestling or otherwise), and it always works when done correctly. It's not that ridiculous. Other than Bruno Sammartino, how many guys who weren't native English speakers have been really strong promos? Cesaro is perfectly understandable though. His accent is not thick or marble-mouthed by any means. Regal and Barrett both have thicker accents, and they've gotten over as great talkers. (Granted, they're probably better on the mic than Cesaro, but it isn't because of Cesaro's accent.) Even Davey Boy Smith got main event opportunities from time to time - and he was hardly a great talker, with an accent as thick as molasses. Edit: I just realized you asked about people who were not native English speakers. Different situation than Regal, etc. obviously, LOL. But how do we know Cesaro isn't a native English speaker? It's possible, like many kids from other countries these days, that he learned how to speak both languages fairly early on. According to Wikipedia, Switzerland has four national languages: German, French, Italian and Romansh. While English isn't listed, it's plausible that he could have learned it...unless there are stories of him coming to this country and not knowing the language?
-
Wow... https://twitter.com/MelissaJoanHart/status/539645617702985728
-
Yeah but I thought Vince made it clear Undertaker was done and he had to work off what was best for 2014 given what they had. It did seem like he was stretching that someone like Brock needed this rub and that now he could always make this claim. That would be applicable for any wrestler. That's possible, since Bryan wasn't on the table this year because they needed him for the HHH match and the main event, but Vince wasn't very clear in his wording.