Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good guys making fun of heels by calling them "sissies/ gay/ light in the loafers/ etc." has been part of wrestling since there's been wrestling.

I love people who are all "It's a terrible HHH thing".

That reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube of babyface Jerry Lawler in Memphis calling Jimmy Valiant a fag from New York City.

Yeah, they do it in a smarmy "not like there is anything wrong with that" way now rather than being just off colour about some else’s alleged sexual preference.

This puts them catching up to early 90s Seinfeld humor in 2010, which is about the normal time curve for wrestling.

Coming soon: hypercolor wrestling gear!

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

Yeah, they do it in a smarmy "not like there is anything wrong with that" way now rather than being just off colour about some else’s alleged sexual preference.

This puts them catching up to early 90s Seinfeld humor in 2010, which is about the normal time curve for wrestling.

Coming soon: hypercolor wrestling gear!

The difference is that hypercolor gear would be awesome.

I noticed WWE seems to have a hatred against pronouns. Announcers always have to seem to refer to someone by their whole name, even if it means speaking awkwardly. It's never "he just slammed his head into the mat", it has to be "Edge just slammed John Cena's head into the mat" as if we can't tell from looking who did what. When it's a back and forth match, it gets real awkward as they have to mention each guy's name several times in a row.

One that completely annoys me that I don't believe has been mentioned is not allowing anyone to have "Jr." in his/her name.

This is why we now have Ted Dibiase, big WWF star of the late 80s and early 90s, simply referred to as "The Million Dollar Man" and his son Ted Jr. as "Ted Dibiase".

Same thing a few years back when Chavo Jr. was "Chavo Guerrero" while the actual Chavo Guerrero was "Chavo Classic".

All because Vince hated being called "Junior" when he's technically not really Vince Jr. I kind of feel him on that one since my dad's name was Pete and literally every one he knew used to call me "re-Pete" (note that my name is not Pete or anything like it which made it 100x as aggravating).

People say it's cause Vince doesn't like to be called "Junior". I think it's more that a grown man in Rasslin' who's supposed to be tough sounds weird to most people with "junior" after their name.

Besides Dory Funk Jr. has there been anyone who REALLY eclipsed their Dad or whoever while tagged with being called "Junior"? And if you are a grown man, would you really still want to be called "Junior"? I asked Dory about the name change to "Hoss" in the WWF on a WO Radio show some years back and he said that he'd actually always been called "Hoss" in school and by his family and he had no problem with it.

Actually there's been more than one person that worked for both Vince Sr and Jr who have stated specifically that VKM hated being called junior.

As far as Juniors who eclipsed Seniors, there's been a lot of Juniors who've been at least as good as their fathers in Lucha. Chavo Guerrero Jr. in WCW arguably eclipsed Chavo Sr, who never really made it above territorial level. Rey Mysterio Jr became a bigger star than Rey Sr. ever did, even if Sr is really his uncle.

I really don't think you can make a good argument that Chavo Jr. eclipsed his father. Being a territorial headliner and Japanese junior heavyweight star is more impressive than being a decent mid card hand, even if it is for a national promotion.

Guest Slickster

But Chavo is a former World champion!

Anyway, I'm watching the Hulk Hogan Unreleased Collector's Series DVD and I caught something amusing. For this DVD, JR and Lawler did commentary over an untelevised Hogan-Backlund match from the Spectrum.

GARY CAPETTA: There were no submissions or pinfalls; therefore the belt does not change hands.

ROSS: And neither does the championship!

Anyway, I'm watching the Hulk Hogan Unreleased Collector's Series DVD and I caught something amusing. For this DVD, JR and Lawler did commentary over an untelevised Hogan-Backlund match from the Spectrum.

GARY CAPETTA: There were no submissions or pinfalls; therefore the belt does not change hands.

In jest I hope or was he interjecting?

I really don't think you can make a good argument that Chavo Jr. eclipsed his father. Being a territorial headliner and Japanese junior heavyweight star is more impressive than being a decent mid card hand, even if it is for a national promotion.

For this sort of thing, how heavily should we count sheer number of asses in the seats and eyes on the screen? Far more people watched Chavo Jr. wrestle than ever saw his dad perform, even if Junior was just a forgettable midcarder for most of that time.

In jest I hope or was he interjecting?

Foley and Michael Cole did commentary on the 1980 Shea Stadium show for 24/7 and spent a good part of it making fun of all the things they aren't allowed to say, at one point Vince (who was ring announcing) said something that wouldn't be allowed now and Foley made a comment about "he's going to get yelled at when he goes to the back".

For this sort of thing, how heavily should we count sheer number of asses in the seats and eyes on the screen? Far more people watched Chavo Jr. wrestle than ever saw his dad perform, even if Junior was just a forgettable midcarder for most of that time.

When was Chavo Jr. ever responsible for drawing the sheer number of asses in the seats and eyes on the screen in WCW and WWE?