Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me of when they were getting hammered by parent groups and for a while the Godfather was a fun loving guy who loved to have fun instead of a weed smoking pimp.

Also the language quirk about never saying "belt" made the angle where Jinder stole the title from Randy on SD about 100x more comical than intended. "He's stolen the Championship!"

• 1 year later...

For the love of God, they need to come up with a different transition than "GM is on the phone with someone unnamed before a wrestler walks in and wants to talk".

NXT also has some corny stuff they do all the time. Usually it's a random wrestler being interviewed by 10 smartphones before either a wrestler walks in or something happens in the background.

For the love of God, they need to come up with a different transition than "GM is on the phone with someone unnamed before a wrestler walks in and wants to talk".

That's hilarious. I feel like that's Kurt in between every match and they also had Paige doing it on SDL.

NXT also has some corny stuff they do all the time. Usually it's a random wrestler being interviewed by 10 smartphones before either a wrestler walks in or something happens in the background.

While I agree that sometimes they can be corny, I do like that in NXT they try a lot harder to give a reason for a camera to be there and then catching something in the background, rather than the 'magic camera' shot we've had for near on 20 years now on the main shows.

Agreed that the GM having a completely unnatural phone call to an unidentified random is a terrible trope.

Especially now when no one talks on the phone. And why would Kurt or Paige be on the phone instead of running the show? I mean, if your only job is to general manage RAW, shouldn't you make yourself fully available the whole time and do all of your paperwork and calls at a different point in the week?

Especially now when no one talks on the phone. And why would Kurt or Paige be on the phone instead of running the show? I mean, if your only job is to general manage RAW, shouldn't you make yourself fully available the whole time and do all of your paperwork and calls at a different point in the week?

They can't do it at some other time of the week because in wwe land stuff only happens on a Monday and Tuesday evening and nobody talks to each other at any point for the rest of the week.

They can't do it at some other time of the week because in wwe land stuff only happens on a Monday and Tuesday evening and nobody talks to each other at any point for the rest of the week.

Even husbands and wife don't talk during the week. They wait until they get to RAW to address their issues either in the ring or in backstage segments, only when the camera is on.

The WWE Universe is one fucked up twilight zone when you think about it...

Even husbands and wife don't talk during the week. They wait until they get to RAW to address their issues either in the ring or in backstage segments, only when the camera is on.

The WWE Universe is one fucked up twilight zone when you think about it...

He's on the couch or in a motel the rest of the week. :D

In my book I went with the idea if you are at the arena, you are being filmed. There was a study that said if people are being filmed, they will eventually start ignoring cameras.

The really awkward thing was early on when the announcers would discuss stuff backstage and the wrestlers acted like nobody saw it.

• 2 years later...
17 minutes ago, JRH said:

Bumping this as I was reading Mick Foley's Countdown to Lockdown. Apparently, Vince has something against pronouns (he, she, her, his).

I remember this being for video package purposes so they could always have very specific name mentions in voiceovers - for example: "The boyhood dream has come true for Shawn Michaels!"

• 1 year later...