Pro Wrestling Only

Raw: The Beginning

artDDP

That was soooo phony. Bret vs Lawler was easily my worse Bret feud ever. I couldn't wait for it to be over so Bret could stop playing in the mid card and get back to main event status again. It was "go away (kiss my foot anyone?) and let Bret wrestle where he is supposed to again heat" Of course, on a board like here where everyone has to be super negative against everything and everyone, I suppose people could relate to Lawler making fun of somebody's parents and think it rules. Because making fun of people is just sooo cool! (sarcasm)

I suppose Bret feuding with the evil Pirate Jean Pierre Laffite over him "stealing" Bret's jacket is more realistic to you?

Also, Lawler-Idol/Rich was WON Feud of the Year in '87, the same year that CWA live on WMC TV won Best Wrestling Television Show and Lance Russell picked up his last of 4 consecutive Best TV Announcer wins.

As far as the whole Lawler praise as "anti-smark" thing goes in general terms, Lawler was a staple of early indy supershow & indy dream match booking in Joel Goodheart's TWA, the Coraluzzo/Sharpe WWA, and later in Coraluzzo's NWA, as well as taking his Memphis & Texas feuds on the road to TWA & WWA in 90-'92, for starters. I could dig through WONs or John McAdam's tape list for more about how the newsletter reader consensus was in his and Memphis's favor forever (Seriously, you do realize that this stuff has been heavily praised forever, right? Liking Memphis wrestling isn't something invented by Dylan, Phil, S.L.L., and myself), but whatever...

Lawler insulting the Hart family was great but I think Heenan might have been better.

Survivor Series 93 (paraphrased)

Vince: "Watch out Bobby Stu might come after you"

Heenan: "Yeah but by the time he gets here I'll be back in the hotel!"

(Stu wearing a Boston Bruins jacket with picture of a bear on back)

Heenan: "Hey look he's got a picture of Helen on the back!"

Summerslam 91

Gorilla. "There's Stu and Helen with looks of concern"

Heenan: "Yeah you know why they snuck in!They're looking out for the usher!"

For what it's worth, the Kiss My Foot match was two years after the original feud. The '93 run of Hart/Lawler was pretty great and pretty basic. Lawler beats down Bret to end King of the Ring, stooges until Bret kicks the shit out of him, and would've led to the Hart Family beating Lawler at Survivor Series '93 if legal issues hadn't intervened. The kiss my foot match was bad, but WWF as a whole in '95 was at its cartoonist worst.

This could be a whole new thing for me. "Johnny Sorrow: Wrestling Psychologist". I could the the next Dr. Sidney M. Basil.

Long before Doctor Stevie, I had a similar idea. Except it was back when I was still managing, and the concept was that it was a manipulative shrink who would work exclusively with female wrestlers; get inside their heads and convince them that only he could help them. Leading to sort of a whole cult-leader type of deal, possibly with icky "you will do anything to please the master" implied sexual overtones. I'm an out-of-shape pudgy dude, but I figured it would be more believable for me to intefere in women's matches; they were all half my size, so it's more plausible that I'm more of a physical threat to them than to guys who looked like they should be able to easily kick my ass. But there were never enough women working the circuit, so it never happened.

That was soooo phony. Bret vs Lawler was easily my worse Bret feud ever. I couldn't wait for it to be over so Bret could stop playing in the mid card and get back to main event status again. It was "go away (kiss my foot anyone?) and let Bret wrestle where he is supposed to again heat" Of course, on a board like here where everyone has to be super negative against everything and everyone, I suppose people could relate to Lawler making fun of somebody's parents and think it rules. Because making fun of people is just sooo cool! (sarcasm)

Man, could you just go away? This whole thread has been full of everybody talking about how fun these early episodes of Raw were, and how well all the matches hold up. Nobody is being super negative against anything. You're being a fucking doofus.

Man, could you just go away? This whole thread has been full of everybody talking about how fun these early episodes of Raw were, and how well all the matches hold up. Nobody is being super negative against anything. You're being a fucking doofus.

I have 3 posts in this thread. One was I how loved Double J's gimmick. The other was that Kid vs Razor was classic as it's one of my fav Raw memories. Fun memories.

Srry if my mindset doesn't allow me to think insulting someone's parents is cool. Srry that I don't put up with bs. My other point was that Bret in 95 was away from the top of the card and it was annoying for fans of his to see this. Hakushi and Jean Pierre made for some awesome matches but we Bret fans still suffered through a Kiss My Foot match that we didn't want to see. The Kiss Your Foot match was even agreed to be stupid in this thread. Has there ever been a worse stipulation in wrestling?

And yes, this is not a negative thread but it is true that this is the most negative board in existence. THINK ABOUT THAT for a second. ThisThat's just not wrestling but any board that has to do with any subject matter. This has been pointed out by others as well. It is a bunch of nerds having to take down people in order to make themselves feel good. I hate it when people have to tear down others in order to pump themselves up. It's the wimpy way out and I will call people out on it for doing it or liking it. I've always been the one to defend people against bullies. No ifs ands or buts about it. There are people who make up lies or distort the truth just to be negative here and than talk like it's fact which is a whole new level of patheticness. I don't want to be part of this board. Ban me please. I don't want to be tempted to stay here. I've never had time anyone to properly discuss anything and there's just too much stuff to correct people on anyway .

--- Last post ever here ----

There are people who make up lies or distort the truth just to be negative here and than talk like it's fact which is a whole new level of patheticness.

Like people who make up mythical surveys and consensuses to be negative about Jerry Lawler and Memphis wrestling?

I have 3 posts in this thread. One was I how loved Double J's gimmick. The other was that Kid vs Razor was classic as it's one of my fav Raw memories. Fun memories.

Srry if my mindset doesn't allow me to think insulting someone's parents is cool. Srry that I don't put up with bs. My other point was that Bret in 95 was away from the top of the card and it was annoying for fans of his to see this. Hakushi and Jean Pierre made for some awesome matches but we Bret fans still suffered through a Kiss My Foot match that we didn't want to see. The Kiss Your Foot match was even agreed to be stupid in this thread. Has there ever been a worse stipulation in wrestling?

And yes, this is not a negative thread but it is true that this is the most negative board in existence. THINK ABOUT THAT for a second. ThisThat's just not wrestling but any board that has to do with any subject matter. This has been pointed out by others as well. It is a bunch of nerds having to take down people in order to make themselves feel good. I hate it when people have to tear down others in order to pump themselves up. It's the wimpy way out and I will call people out on it for doing it or liking it. I've always been the one to defend people against bullies. No ifs ands or buts about it. There are people who make up lies or distort the truth just to be negative here and than talk like it's fact which is a whole new level of patheticness. I don't want to be part of this board. Ban me please. I don't want to be tempted to stay here. I've never had time anyone to properly discuss anything and there's just too much stuff to correct people on anyway .

--- Last post ever here ----

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is nothing sadder than internet suicide notes...but since we are talking stuff that needed to be "corrected, my undestanding is that Meltzer's talking point has always been that the WWF didn't expect the Lawler v Hart stuff to do well but it was one of the strongest drawing Hart series at that point.

Bret Hart vs. Tom Prichard is a nifty little match. Just an idea of the things that are included in this set.

Was watching this yesterday and they actually cut out an entire segment between the first and second commercial breaks, the part where NKOTB Donnie Wahlberg calls in and discusses his sibling rivalry (in reference to Bret/Owen) with "Marky Mark."

Bret Hart vs. Tom Prichard is a nifty little match. Just an idea of the things that are included in this set.

Was watching this yesterday and they actually cut out an entire segment between the first and second commercial breaks, the part where NKOTB Donnie Wahlberg calls in and discusses his sibling rivalry (in reference to Bret/Owen) with "Marky Mark."

Hmm. I thought the match seemed a little abrupt.

• 2 weeks later...

Most negative in existence, eh? This guy has clearly never been to a Star Trek or Dr Who forum. . .

It's for the best -- if I had t see one more word from him about how awesome Davey Richards is, I would likely have gone off to review Korean films myself.

This thread kicks ass. I have loved reading it.