Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you UK guys know: if you ever come to America, watch it with saying twat and especially cunt. Those words are considered really dirty over here, especially if said to a woman. Slinging those around can be a real easy way to get slapped.

It cuts the other way too. In America, calling someone a bloody wanker would be seen as a playful insult. In Britain, it signifies that you're looking to start a fight.

Yeah, it's always funny when Americans use "wanker" casually as if they don't even realise they are cursing.

Twat and cunt are equally rude here though, the latter is pretty much the WORST swear word, it's just that -- and I believe this -- Brits are ruder than Americans when it comes to things like that. I've been to the States lots of times, and there's a kind of old-fashioned politeness in there, it's almost quaint. Then someone will try to take your bags from the taxi you've just had to pay a 10% tip for and expect money from you. :P

I'm behind here as I didn't notice this thread but alot of guys came around in the summer of 90 and 1991 due to the AWA closing. Hughes and Nightstalker came from there as did Madusa.

It's too bad that you don't have full ppv versions of some of the shows. There's alot of stuff to miss out on those especially in 1991.

It's too bad that you don't have full ppv versions of some of the shows. There's alot of stuff to miss out on those especially in 1991.

You don't say. My version of Superbrawl had about half the undercard edited out. So no Terry Taylor match yet again (sigh), and for the laughs no debut of Oz nor Johnny B. Badd. Grrrr...

I hadn't seen Luger/Sting vs Steiners in a long time, and my recollection was that it was quite overrated. Well, I was right, and even moreso than I think I was. The opening sequences with Luger and Rick are really good, and you feel the match is going to build and build. Nope. They just go into a spotfest, and not a great one. Seriously, it doens't hold a candle to the Tokyo Dome match against Hase & Sasaki, which is already way overated if you compare it to about any big tag match from NJ that year. The Steiners had much better bomb throwing matches with Doom the previous year, I can't figure why this match has been pimped for years as something special. And as of May 1991, I still don't feel Sting at all. When will this guy turn into a good worker ?

Meanwhile, Arn & Bobby Eaton had a very good match. You feel they could have done more, but I guess the goal was not to work a world title level match either. Eaton is awesome, and as great as a face than he is as a heel. Great selling.

Windham vs Pillman is about as great as a 6 minute brawling match can go. Windham looks like a contender for best wrestler in WCW thus far this year.

Butch Reed vs Ron Simmons was good, and you can tell Reed is laying out the entire thing for Simmons.

Flair vs Fujinami was yet another really good match, but at point Flair just does embarrassing stuff as he forces Fuji into cliché Flair spots, and you can see the lack of communication or understanding. But overall, very stiff, strong selling, a few good nearfalls at the end. Although of course Fuji didn't get over and the stupid jingoist fans were chanting USA at babyface Fujinami. Well, maybe also the fact that it was a rather smart-ass audience, chanting for the Freebirds, and singing Goodbye to Sid who was leaving for WWF.

Jim Ross was at time pretty mediocre I thought this night, being overly excited and overselling the tag match, and talking about Fujinami's "karate kicks". Well... Ross & Dusty just isn't a very good tandem. I miss Paul E.

Bull Drop Inn. New segment with Dus-tay.

With Jason Hervey. Whoever he was. And yes, he looks as tall as 4 foot.

First guest : Rapmaster PN News. Proceeds to put over Dusty. Of course.

Yo baby yo baby yo. It was worse than I ever thought it was.

Jason Hervey is dancing. Dusty is rapping.

This was *UGLY*. Fucking UGLY.

And then, Barry Windham is distracted by a giant rat (Pillman).

Fuck, Dusty's booking is already going into the shitter.

Thank god, Steve Austin debuts on the same show. Had no idea he wasn't managed by Lady Blossom at first.

The ending of the show redeemed that awful segment. Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Morton vs Terry Taylor & One Man Gang was not only a good TV match, but it's the beginning of Morton's heel turn, which is gonna be really fun. Taylor steals the show each time he's on TV, he's bumping all over the place and makes a fool out of himself, and looks really good while he's on offense. And One Man Gang was still really good in 91. I understand how annoying the push for Dustin must have been at the time, although he did have tons of potential, but still, it was transparent as far as why he got pushed so much. They also handle Mr. Hughes really well, having him just standing in front of guys and never back down nor actually hit anyone. That's how you build a character.

I love the York Foundation. Too bad Terri was dressed like crap most of the time.

Yeah, still pisses me off. I was at the Nitro after Starcade where they jobbed Wrath to Disco Inferno. Sigh... such a depressing era.

One question. Does anyone remember the episode where Norman Smiley fell into the Demon casket and came out for his match as Screamin Demon Smiley? I also watched Smiley tossing Pepe into the wood chipper and laughed my ass off at Chavo's distress over losing his horse.

With Jason Hervey. Whoever he was

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not ;)

Well, The Wonder Years did get broadcast on French TV (thanks Wikipedia), but I never watch that kind of stuff so to me the guy is a complete unknown. And browsing through his filmography, I reiterate : whoever he was.;)

I always get a kick out of Missy calling him a midget on interviews.

I remember being a big Wrath fan back then. I loved Adam Bomb as a kid so it basically carried over from that. I don't remember him jobbing out to Nash, though. I probably would've been pissed.

Yeah, I'm from Scotland and that sure as shit an unusual use of the word "twat".

In North Wales to twat someone in the face is to hit them in the face. I assumed it'd be the same everywhere.

Typo on my part. What I meant to say was, "that sure as shit isn't an unusual use of the word 'twat'". :)

With Jason Hervey. Whoever he was

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not ;)

Well, The Wonder Years did get broadcast on French TV (thanks Wikipedia), but I never watch that kind of stuff so to me the guy is a complete unknown. And browsing through his filmography, I reiterate : whoever he was.;)

I always get a kick out of Missy calling him a midget on interviews.

Heh, yeah actually not shocked you don't know him from the Wonder Years but he's been a Bischoff buddy/hanger on for so many years that I figured most wrestling fans atleast would know him from that. They own a production company together and have worked on a bunch of tv shows together both in & out of wrestling. He stuck around WCW for a while back then and actually dated Missy for a little bit. In a really weird random bit of trivia, the LWO idea was apparently something he originally came up with.

Look at the bright side. You get to see Blitzkrieg's awesome 4 month run with the company.

Honestly, the first 8 months of 1999 weren't that bad. You started the year off with the Hennig/Windham vs. Benoit/Malenko vs. Raven/Saturn tag feud that was really good. The early part of Mysterio's unmasking was fun and the Spring Break Nitro where he takes on Ric Flair was a fun match. Then you get the Jersey Triad which was entertaining. Blitzkrieg's run and Mikey Whipwreck showing up. And Hulk Hogan going face which wasn't terrible.

It doesn't really fall apart until you get some variation of Golberg/Hogan/Nash vs. Steiner/Sid/Savage every week for like a month. And the No Limit Soldiers suck but the Rednecks were awesome.

Look at the bright side. You get to see Blitzkrieg's awesome 4 month run with the company.

Honestly, the first 8 months of 1999 weren't that bad. You started the year off with the Hennig/Windham vs. Benoit/Malenko vs. Raven/Saturn tag feud that was really good. The early part of Mysterio's unmasking was fun and the Spring Break Nitro where he takes on Ric Flair was a fun match. Then you get the Jersey Triad which was entertaining. Blitzkrieg's run and Mikey Whipwreck showing up. And Hulk Hogan going face which wasn't terrible.

It doesn't really fall apart until you get some variation of Golberg/Hogan/Nash vs. Steiner/Sid/Savage every week for like a month. And the No Limit Soldiers suck but the Rednecks were awesome.

I don't know how Blizkrieg stuff will have aged to me. But yeah, there is good stuff in 99 too. Actually I know this year much more than I knew 98 going in, so a lot of it will be revisit with a fresh eye. Most of what you mentionned is really fun from memory. The booking will make me cry though I fear.:)

Anyway, I'm in the midst of 1991 now, Steve Austin just showed up, and Flair is leaving soon. "We want Flair!" incoming...

I guess. The Bull Drop Inn with Dusty Rhodes is objectively one of the worst segment I've ever seen. Just god awful. PN News is systematic fast forward material, just a complete abortion. He makes Oscar sound like Chuck D., Andre 3000, Snoop Dog and Method Man all rolled into one. Brian Pillman dresses like a giant rat. The Yellow Dog can't be far behind. Flair is leaving soon, which means poor Luger gets fucked again. The first half of the year was dramatically better than anything since 02/90, but something don't feel right again.

Side note : I'm amazed at how Scott Hall looked like Razor Ramon as early as the first Diamond Stud match. The greasy hair, the toothpick, the moveset, the cross with the arms. Kinda debunk the myth of WWF creating this character from scratch. They gave him a fake latino accent, but the rest was there already.

Oh, and Mark Mero debuts as Johnny B. Badd. Don't sue me, I enjoy it.