Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

WCW going to custom entrance themes is good, but I don't know if I ever want to hear Steamboat's or Windham's themes again. Some of them are brutal. WCW had some good stuff by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm through most of the 90s, but others would peel the enamel from your teeth. Bret Hart's themes in WCW were fucking ear-shattering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0CozGhCuSo

These ruled though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing says WCW more than Rey Mysterio's creepy Omen music -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW096ZkxLQo

Love that theme. I believe someone had it before Rey, but I don't remember who. Oh, yes, it was actually a reworked version of Brutus Beefcake's as Zodiac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dwy13X7_xY...feature=related

I loved the rip-off themes too. DDP's "Doesn't smell like teen spirits." Chris Jericho's "Unevenflow". Raven's "Don't come as you are".

Guerrero's last theme was awesome too, to the point it was picke dup by WWF.

The late 89/early 90 "real" music theme were incredible : Funk to Morriconne was one of the greatest entrance ever, but it's almost cheating with such a masterpiece of a theme.

I always liked Kanyon's, with the ominous organs at the beginning, and the cool riffs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1dffvInw

Of course, one of my all-time favourite :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVe1O_Iccrc...;feature=fvwrel

I loved the rip-off themes too. DDP's "Doesn't smell like teen spirits." Chris Jericho's "Unevenflow". Raven's "Don't come as you are".

Same here. Between that kind of stuff, the stock music such as Mysterio, Malenko and Goldberg used, and things like the Hollywood Blondes/Stunning Steve and later Horsemen themes WCW had a lot of music I loved. Billy Kidman had awesome music too. I loved the instrumental studio musician rock vibe of lots of those songs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I started my 1989 watching about a week ago.

Watching 1/21 right now. Michael Hayes vs. Assassin #2 was stunningly watchable. I was dreading that match because of how boring face Hayes can be boring as hell but it really surprised me by being a solid outing.

Windham/Gilbert the week before pissed me off. They ran in for the DQ right as the match was starting to get really good.

Eddie Gilbert seems horribly mis-cast as a face. He's okay but really doesn't seem comfortable.

I like how the Midnight Express are still the Midnight Express despite being faces so far. They seem like the same guys from a year earlier. They're still bad boys, they just get cheered now. I hate when guys go face and immediately start groveling. That might change though.

I know this is the WCW thread, but Michael Hayes in 1988 World Class is one of the best babyfaces I've ever seen. It's a shame the whole Freebirds breakup thing happened so late in the decade instead of when the promotion was hot, because it was tremendous and should have had a much bigger impact than it did.

Watching 1/21 right now. Michael Hayes vs. Assassin #2 was stunningly watchable. I was dreading that match because of how boring face Hayes can be boring as hell but it really surprised me by being a solid outing.

Indeed.

Eddie Gilbert seems horribly mis-cast as a face. He's okay but really doesn't seem comfortable.

Agreed. Gilbert is a born heel. He did as fine a job he could as a face during his stint, but it clearly isn't what he is the best at. I liked his mini TV feud with Samu in 1990.

I like how the Midnight Express are still the Midnight Express despite being faces so far. They seem like the same guys from a year earlier. They're still bad boys, they just get cheered now. I hate when guys go face and immediately start groveling. That might change though.

That's what I really liked about Cornette, he didn't pander to the crowd, he didn't act like he was a good guy all of a sudden. it's just that now people cheered them beacuse they were *their* assholes opposing Paul E. and the Original MX. Continuity, rare enough thing in wrestling to be noted.

Gilbert was better as a heel, but I thought he was also a great babyface under the right circumstances. While he was completely buried after he got kicked off the booking committee, he was great in his feuds with the Horsemen/Yamazaki Corp. & Great Muta in the ring, on promos, and in general as the catalyst for Steamboat and Sting then taking his place.