Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble Ongoing Thoughts

goodhelmet

I have a soft spot for these type of threads so I'll start it.

Man, Ziggler is quickly becoming one of my favorite guys. I really don't like most Edge matches but by the end, I was into this almost entirely due to Ziggler and his facials after trying so hard to put Edge out but unable to seal the deal. The early portion of the match was "Eh" but it picked up in the end with the Vicki interference and Edge trying alternative ways to put Ziggler away. I also like Edge's half ass sharpshooter. I don't know what he is trying to do with it but it looked ok.

Royal Rumble...

Well shit, Punk is #1. I could see Punk as the Ironman in this... and BD is #2.

Loving the little mini-Punk vs. BD battle going on.

Eh, Dibiase sorta killed this match dead.

That Morrison spot was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

When Nexus had 3 guys in, they probably should have eliminated everyone else save for Morrison or BD until Masters came in.

OK, they did it when Otunga came in and disposed of everyone so that was smart. Too bad BD got dropped though and the crowd let a big groan when he was out as well.

The people went batshit for Booker. Too bad he got dropped so quickly. I only hope the same fate awaits Nash.

Cena clearing out Nexus kinda threw me up for a loop becuase I was expecting a Nexus-Corre matchup... and oh well, Cena takes out Punk.

OK, a bunch of funny Hornswaggle stuff... I chuckled. Fuck it.

Nothing really going on but then WE WANT DIESEL. WTF? The same crowd that cheered for BD and Punk went batshit for Diesel.

Man, the crowd was flat when Del Rio won but were insane when Santino popped back in. I don't know man, There were some good spots and Nash and Booker were OVER but I think they need to stick with just 30 guys.

I really, really enjoyed the Rumble match this year. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun watching WWE programming. Much more positive experience after last year's dud.

The Punk/Nexus stuff during the middle was just tremendous and crowd was just so pissed off every time the timer would count down and....R-Truth or Kozlov would come out next. It's rare to get the level of legitimate heel heat Nexus and Punk were getting.

I was also surprised there was no Nexus/Corre interaction aside from the brawl before the Rumble even started. But overall, I was really pleased with the surprises, which typically isn't the case these days.

The finish with Santino popping up was just so entertaining and the crowd was going out of their minds. And I'm still laughing at Del Rio's announcing yelling so much Spanish over the arena mic that Cole could barely get a word in to close out the show.

And after lots of hype...no sign of Triple H. I was really surprised by that.

I'm with Tim here. Me and my roommates watched the show, drank beer, ate pizza and Buffalo Wings and cheered, laughed, and booed and were totally engaged by the whole show. We realized Santino had never been eliminated and stood up, leaning at the TV, waiting for THE COBRA...and saying "HOLY SHIT, They just might have Santino win!", getting to pop when he hit the Cobra, and then being all "Awww..."when Santino was eliminated. And me, the "heel loving guy" in the room cheering Del Rio. What a fun night.

Oh, and I expected Beth Phoenix to be the partner, and I think the crowd did as well. Kong would have ruled.

Fuck it Santino should have won. They could of had him lose his title shit tomorrow.

I would have loved this just to hear Bryan and Dave's reaction, after they complained that WWE may f*ck with the integrity of the Royal Rumble gimmick by having some jobber win it and then get screwed out of the title shot in their Rumble preview. :)

Fuck it Santino should have won. They could of had him lose his title shit tomorrow.

I would have loved this just to hear Bryan and Dave's reaction, after they complained that WWE may f*ck with the integrity of the Royal Rumble gimmick by having some jobber win it and then get screwed out of the title shot in their Rumble preview. :)

I'll be honest with you but Bryan and Dave's reaction was the last thing I was thinking about when going over the possibilities of a Santino win.

The integrity of the Royal Rumble? It's already ridiculous enough that the act of throwing someone out of the ring makes you good enough to face the world champion on the biggest show of the year, as opposed to, you know, beating several top contenders for several months.

The integrity of the Royal Rumble? It's already ridiculous enough that the act of throwing someone out of the ring makes you good enough to face the world champion on the biggest show of the year, as opposed to, you know, beating several top contenders for several months.

If we're going to talk Kayfabe, then I think the fact that it's the #2 PPV draw of the year, most years, and usually by a large margin at that, is more than partially based on the "Anyone can win" element. Even if everything was real (or in this case logical), Vince calls his wrestlers entertainers. The object isn't to have a fair athletic competition. It's to make money by forcing modern day gladiators to compete with one another in a relatively (and admittedly) corrupt environment. Within the "WWE UNIVERSE" logic, what draws is more important than what's fair, and the anyone can win element of the Rumble draws.

Sure it does. I'm not saying they should abandon it. It's successful and popular. I just tend to hate the Rumble because it's too far out of the realm of plausibility for me that anyone who wins has really accomplished anything all that impressive. I don't expect them to go changing their staples to suit me though. :)

Sure it does. I'm not saying they should abandon it. It's successful and popular. I just tend to hate the Rumble because it's too far out of the realm of plausibility for me that anyone who wins has really accomplished anything all that impressive. I don't expect them to go changing their staples to suit me though. :)

It's the schemey promoter going "Neeehhhh, all the marks root for an underdog just like them! Nehhhhh." while stroking his handlebar mustache and counting the cash. And it's a sucker bet from the promoter's POV because no lower-card guy has ever won it. In my head, Kayfabe Vince (MR. McMahon) was sweating bullets for a second when Santino came out of nowhere.

Granted, they could just do to him what they (Was it Bock in 96?) did to DDP after he won Battlebowl.

I didn't like it. Here's why:

- JoMo getting eliminated quickly after creating the greatest spot in Rumble history. He should have been there until the end.

- The whole stupid Nexus thing at the beginning. This is one of the few chances where both groups could fight legally and they don't even use it. The ring should have been a Nexus/Corre battlefield after some entries.

- Punk getting eliminated early along with Nexus falling to Super Cena. They owned the first half of the Rumble, and Cena disposes of them in seconds. Better yet was the commentators failing to really push Mason Ryan, along with WWE who decided that he should be eliminated quickly as well.

- All the jobbers. Tyler Reks can't even make the Superstars show most weeks and yet I'm paying money to see him.

- Big Lazy Kevin Rash. Sorry, he's an asshole, a detriment to wrestling, he can't walk 10 steps without breaking something and he just flat out sucks. I finally thought he was off my tv for good. Had the Rumble been booked better, no one would have cared.

- Booker, who you know was not cheap to get for this, doing a whole 3 minutes work. I really hope that was worth the $3,000+ for him.

- All the quick eliminations. This is one of the few chances where you can have 1000 people in the ring at one time, and I don't even think they hit double digits once.

The Rumble was entertaining at points, but none of the entertaining points are going to lead to any money being made aside from ADR. If this was on free tv, I'd probably give it an okay, but whoever booked this had no idea what they were doing. The best way to explain it is that this Rumble has no replayability. None of this stuff would be as good the second time around.

Overall, it's at the very least tied for the worst Rumble of all time along with last years. The RR has really lost my faith and I think it's gone too far down the tube to turn back.

For the rest of the show: Screw the commentary team. Within 1 minute into the show they started fighting and trying to get themselves over. It comes across as so unprofessional and ridiculuous. This is coming from someone who's commentated before. Ziggy and Edge was good and much better than I expected, but I could do without seeing Vickie's fat ass ever again and without hearing how hot she is from Striker. It makes me want to turn the tv off everytime I hear that. I thought Orton/Miz was incredibly slow and boring. And Eve winning the title was a total WTF moment. I'm not sure how being the worst back-up dancer in the world gets you a title shot, but whatever.

- Booker, who you know was not cheap to get for this, doing a whole 3 minutes work. I really hope that was worth the $3,000+ for him.

Worth it for me and a lot of others.

- All the quick eliminations. This is one of the few chances where you can have 1000 people in the ring at one time, and I don't even think they hit double digits once.

You must have loved the 09 Rumble.