Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble Ongoing Thoughts

goodhelmet

Guest kowking

How can anyone hate the Rumble match?

I was at the show, and the crowd was hot, though I think they got burnt out by the end, especially with Cena v. Orton getting no reaction.

Booker T and Diesel got insane pops and the Santino Marella thing was great

That Cena Orton spot got no pop because it was one of the most thoughtless spots I've ever seen. Why would fans pop for it? They've seen it over and over and the dudes are both good guys with nothing to really face off over -- not even pride.

I would think that Striker's mark-out moment was legit, since I'm willing to bet Vince wouldn't want his announcers using "insider" terms on commentary.

Also, and I'm not signaling anyone out here specifically, it seems a lot of the negative response I've seen to the Rumble match comes down to the same old "they didn't cater to my exact tastes" routine.

How can anyone hate the Rumble match?

I was at the show, and the crowd was hot, though I think they got burnt out by the end, especially with Cena v. Orton getting no reaction.

Booker T and Diesel got insane pops and the Santino Marella thing was great

That Cena Orton spot got no pop because it was one of the most thoughtless spots I've ever seen. Why would fans pop for it? They've seen it over and over and the dudes are both good guys with nothing to really face off over -- not even pride.

They keep trying to push that match don't they? Cena made his comment a couple weeks ago about how it felt like WrestleMania.

It's like they're trying to recreate Hogan-Warrior. Or Austin-Rock. And failing miserably.

Nash and Booker were used pretty much how they should have been. They showed up, popped the crowd, hit their shit and got tossed. I'd have liked to see Booker last longer but I'll take that approach over the way TNA does things. I was somewhat surprised that Nash got such a huge reaction. I thought he'd get a good pop but not that good.

I watched this with friends most of them casual fans at best and they went nuts for Morrrison's big spot and they really hated Punk.

This is something that has always somewhat perplexed me: why do some wrestling fans like having surprises spoiled for them? I can understand wanting to read about some insider stuff and feeling more in the know, or whatever. But, for me, a lot of the appeal of wrestling is the surprises. When people are uploading pictures of Kevin Nash at the airport where the Royal Rumble is being held at with newly dyed hair, that kills that surprise for you.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I would rather be legitimately surprised. Now in the day and age of Twitter and cell phones, I don't think that will happen again.

This is something that has always somewhat perplexed me: why do some wrestling fans like having surprises spoiled for them? I can understand wanting to read about some insider stuff and feeling more in the know, or whatever. But, for me, a lot of the appeal of wrestling is the surprises. When people are uploading pictures of Kevin Nash at the airport where the Royal Rumble is being held at with newly dyed hair, that kills that surprise for you.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I would rather be legitimately surprised. Now in the day and age of Twitter and cell phones, I don't think that will happen again.

I see the point in a way and in a way, I don't. Initially when I came online, the whole reason to follow wrestling on the Internet was to find out where things are going or what was going to happen next. At the time, I couldn't think of any reason to follow wrestling online other than wanting to know more, both about what had already happened and what was expected to happen. I think that changed over time, and even the WON is much less "this is expected to happen" than it used to be. Part of that is probably that the most popular show each week is live, whereas in the past almost all wrestling was taped.

The spoiler thing is definitely not unique to wrestling. It's not even unique to entertainment. We live in an age where even the State of the Union address (and responses) are pretty much known in advance.

In this particular instance, it's not surprising the surprises got spoiled. You had two wrestlers rumored to be returning to TNA for a Main Event Mafia reunion, but once they got signed by WWE, that was the instant the news would get leaked because it fucked TNA over regarding their plans.

John Cena's surprise appearance didn't get leaked, but there was no reason to as he was still under contract with the same company and nobody was assuming he was going to jump to TNA or elsewhere when he did make his return.

EDIT: Oh, and TNA lives for teasing their surprises over the Internet whereas WWE doesn't like their surprises getting leaked.