Pro Wrestling Only

is Sting finally going to WWE?

Guest kowking

Sting is in his 50s. If I want to see Sting, there's plenty of it out there already.

What you said.

If this were Sting against Orton at Backlash, I would agree. But Sting against Taker, at Wrestlemania, in WCW's home, has some juice behind it. It also means that Sting would be at the HOF, which is totally appropriate in Atlanta.

I've gone from having no enthusiasm for WM to considering the 13 hour drive from Chicago to Atlanta. And it's not like I've been dying to watch Sting work in TNA the last few years. But something about this feels cool to me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sting is in his 50s. If I want to see Sting, there's plenty of it out there already.

What you said.

It's funny that the only "exciting" stuff in WWE these days seems to be : Kevin Nash and Booker T showing up at the Rumble. Jerry Lawler probably getting a match at Mania. Speculation about Sting showing up in WWE. Well, that's the vibe I get as someone who doesn't watch the product but kinda follows what happens.

I don't know if that says more about the current crop of wrestlers or the writers. It's hard to care about someone like Kofi Kingston in regards to someone like Jerry Lawler, ya know? He's just not on the same level. Even with CURRENT Lawler, which is saying a lot.

I had this conversation just this morning with my buddy John actually. We were talking about the Royal Rumble and that we were both happy Del Rio won 'cause we see potential in him. But, early in the Rumble, it was just jobber after jobber after jobber. There was a stretch where it was like Yoshi Tatsu, Husky Harris, Chavo Guerrero, JTG, Michael McGillicutty, Chris Masters, David Otunga, Tyler Reks, Vladimir Kozlov in a row. Even with the Nexus tie-in, it was just hilarious watching one jobber after the next come out. It's really hard to compare the midcard of WWE today with the greats of the midcard growing up, where people like Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Ted DiBiase (arguably) & Jake Roberts weren't good enough to be better than midcard. Now we got WWE Champion The Miz.

I had this conversation just this morning with my buddy John actually. We were talking about the Royal Rumble and that we were both happy Del Rio won 'cause we see potential in him. But, early in the Rumble, it was just jobber after jobber after jobber. There was a stretch where it was like Yoshi Tatsu, Husky Harris, Chavo Guerrero, JTG, Michael McGillicutty, Chris Masters, David Otunga, Tyler Reks, Vladimir Kozlov in a row. Even with the Nexus tie-in, it was just hilarious watching one jobber after the next come out. It's really hard to compare the midcard of WWE today with the greats of the midcard growing up, where people like Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Ted DiBiase (arguably) & Jake Roberts weren't good enough to be better than midcard. Now we got WWE Champion The Miz.

That's one of the many reasons I can't watch the current product. I thought I would watch the Rumble just to get an idea of all the faces in WWE, but in the end I didn't even download it.

I take it Sting did not show up for the TNA tapings yesterday?

If Sting is coming to WWE, it's better he not wrestle Undertaker at Wrestlemania as you are likely only going to get a short run from him and it would be dumb for either Sting to job his only WM match or to have him be the guy to break Taler's streak. So I doubt Sting/Taker takes place.

And if they are planning to induct Sting into the WWE Hall of Fame and nothing more, I doubt they'd be putting a vignette together like this. So assuming this is promoting Sting's arrival, then I would suspect the plan is for him to wrestle.

Guest kowking

Did Meltzer really say on his radio show that WWE/Sting have had "no contact" whatsoever?

If that's what he's hearing, and he believes it, he's lost it. That's not to say I think Sting is signed or coming in, but the idea that they aren't talking or weren't talking is ludicrous.

Did Meltzer really say on his radio show that WWE/Sting have had "no contact" whatsoever?

If that's what he's hearing, and he believes it, he's lost it. That's not to say I think Sting is signed or coming in, but the idea that they aren't talking or weren't talking is ludicrous.

I posted some really odd double talk on the forum to supplement that.

This has become Lesnar-WWE leveal annoying already. I was so jazzed Tuesday. :(

What evidence is there to suggest that there has been any dialogue between WWE and Sting whatsoever? Just because they brought in Nash and Booker to fuck with TNA doesn't mean they talked with Sting.

No real evidence, but it would be highly surprising, especially as he's an obvious guy to be inducted in the Hall Of Fame this year, if he's too banged up to wrestle. Also, if you'd wanted to fuck with TNA, you'd attempt to sign the biggest star of the bunch. I'm surprised that Dave has said there has been "no contact" whatsoever, as common sense suggests otherwise:

With all of their "out of the box" celebrity ideas having fallen through, most notably Brock Lesnar, WWE may be resorting to an "out of the box" wrestler idea. Yes, common sense suggests that even though Sting has not yet officially signed with WWE as erroneously reported by the New York Daily News, he is indeed in serious negotiations with WWE to appear in a dream match against The Undertaker at the show. If WWE weren't showing serious interest in him, then he would have already re-signed with TNA for another year and decided to end his career with that company. Moreover, WWE wouldn't have made their 2.21.11 video so ambiguous that it could effectively hype either The Undertaker's return or Sting's debut, if they weren't attempting to make the latter happen. Finally, WrestleMania is in Atlanta this year, the home base of the dead for a decade WCW, which makes bringing in Sting a natural, especially after their first choice of local WCW icon Bill Goldberg fell through pretty quickly.

The thing is who really knows what's going on behind the scenes. They may want to have the contact with Sting be as quiet as possible and I'm sure they weren't happy with the news of Booker T & Nash being at the Rumble so they I'm sure they want a Sting appearance to be as quiet as the Cena Rumble at MSG appearance.

Why would they wait until now to have the negotiations, though? Because the Lesnar thing fell through? I don't see why the negotiating would take so long, unless WWE wants him to work a bunch of dates. If WWE didn't make an effort to get Goldberg for the show, it's not unreasonable to think that Vince isn't big on this either. Sting signing with TNA wasn't guaranteed since he's been in such bad physical shape with his shoulder injury.

That said, I hope it happens. I've had a few buddies ask if we're going to make a Mania road trip this year, and I keep delaying the decision until I see if this comes through. I don't feel like making the trip to see Cena-Miz and Orton-Punk. ROH and DGUSA aren't doing a ton for me. The HOF should be great, but that's not enough. Sting in the Georgia Dome at Mania would do it.

I bought my Mania tickets months ago but I've got to say the disappointment in some quarters with the theoretical line up puzzles me. I personally am extremely happy that the show up until this point at least looks to be almost entirely fresh match ups. Rather than a myriad of three ways and variations of the same old characters on top we have an entirely fresh Punk v. Orton match, a Cena v. Miz match that is essentially fresh given the way the dynamics have changed since their last bouts, a Del Rio v. Edge mach (assuming that holds up) that at least gives Edge something different to do, et. Include the Lawler match and I am about as excited to be going to this Mania as I could possibly be.

I bought my Mania tickets months ago but I've got to say the disappointment in some quarters with the theoretical line up puzzles me. I personally am extremely happy that the show up until this point at least looks to be almost entirely fresh match ups. Rather than a myriad of three ways and variations of the same old characters on top we have an entirely fresh Punk v. Orton match, a Cena v. Miz match that is essentially fresh given the way the dynamics have changed since their last bouts, a Del Rio v. Edge mach (assuming that holds up) that at least gives Edge something different to do, et. Include the Lawler match and I am about as excited to be going to this Mania as I could possibly be.

I am happy that they're going with fresh matches and pushing new guys. That's great. But I feel like we've seen Cena-Miz a million times on RAW. I'm glad that Punk is in a big spot, but I don't know if there has been an Orton match as a face that I've really enjoyed yet. I'm also pretty played out on Edge, so nothing he does at this point really excites me even though I like Del Rio. Taker and Barrett just sounds like it'll suck considering UT's physical condition and that Barrett isn't a guy that can bounce around like a pinball to compensate. HHH-Sheamus doesn't excite me. Whatever they do with Lawler and Cole may be the most ineresting thing on the show for me.

They give away so many singles matches on TV nowadays, it's tough for them to come up with something that really feels big like even Batista-Taker at Mania 23, Batista-HHH at WM21, Lesnar-Goldberg, HBK-Taker at WM25, or Cena-Batista last year (only done once before and on a major PPV).

Guest Slickster

On The Board, Dave emphasized that his sources know nothing of Sting coming in.

However, this type of angle might just be kept between a handful of people in WWE creative to prevent leaks.

I am happy that they're going with fresh matches and pushing new guys. That's great. But I feel like we've seen Cena-Miz a million times on RAW. I'm glad that Punk is in a big spot, but I don't know if there has been an Orton match as a face that I've really enjoyed yet. I'm also pretty played out on Edge, so nothing he does at this point really excites me even though I like Del Rio. Taker and Barrett just sounds like it'll suck considering UT's physical condition and that Barrett isn't a guy that can bounce around like a pinball to compensate. HHH-Sheamus doesn't excite me. Whatever they do with Lawler and Cole may be the most ineresting thing on the show for me.

They give away so many singles matches on TV nowadays, it's tough for them to come up with something that really feels big like even Batista-Taker at Mania 23, Batista-HHH at WM21, Lesnar-Goldberg, HBK-Taker at WM25, or Cena-Batista last year (only done once before and on a major PPV).

I think it's possible they would have done Cena v. Taker had Taker not been hurt. To be honest that is the only "big" match I feel the WWE has left that hasn't been overexposed.

Personally I am extremely happy we are getting a meaningful Cena v. Miz match on ppv. Edge sucks but I would rather him work Del Rio than one of the same old main event guys. Honestly aside from Christian there really is no one else on the roster I would rather see him work. I agree that Orton sucks as a face but again he is going to have a big match on the show regardless and I would prefer it be against the best heel in the company, who can also work, than against one of the usual suspects.

I guess my point is that this card seems less "samey" than normal for WM. Whether that will prove to be a good or bad thing I don't know but in terms of me being excited about going to the show it has definitely raised my enthusiasm.

With Taker/Barrett its not Taker anybody should be worrying about.

The ONLY guy on the roster I would buy Taker losing to is Cena. That's it. No one else seems like a credible opponent of the streak at this point.

Personally I will be shocked if they run Taker v. Barrett straight up. I think it is far more likely that the match will be Taker/Show v. Zeke/Barrett if they don't do the Sting deal. And honestly the tag match is far more interesting to me than a singles match with Taker v. Barrett even if the "streak" likely wouldn't be as big a part of the Mania build as normal.

Yeah I saw that but I find it hard to believe because if they do that they have NOTHING for Show. It's hard to fathom them leaving Show off Mania or throwing him into MITB. He's already feuding with Corre. My guess is Slater and Gabriel will have the tag titles by that point and may defend against McGullicutty/Otunga at Mania

Again, if Sting is going to wrestle at Wrestlemania, putting him against Taker is foolish. Either Taker's streak gets broken by an aging wrestler or the aging wrestler you brought in to give a spark jobs in his PPV debut, perhaps his WWE match debut.

If Sting is going to wrestle at WM, it makes more sense to team him with Taker, then build to a split and do a match at SummerSlam. If you don't pair Sting with Taker, you put Sting against a WWE upper midcarder who isn't likely to be pushed to the main event any time soon so Sting can get a win to build momentum and thus not look like a loser the instant he arrives.

True, Sting is at the end of the road, but if you are going to use him, let him build momentum for a couple of months and then you can have him starting putting others over. If all Sting does is job, a win for a young WWE guy becomes more meaningless with each passing month.

That being said, it would probably be best if Sting just agrees to a WWE Legends deal, accepts a HOF induction and gets used in a non-wrestling role, as they are doing with Booker and are about to do with Nash.