Pro Wrestling Only

The 2011 WWE HOF Thread

sek69

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They've considered it a "all of wrestling" HOF since 2004.

It's still odd on that front, since I've never seen anyone suggest that Bob Armstrong is one of the 100 greatest wrestlers ever. I rarely hear a WON HOF argument for him, and that group is 200+ now. Other marginal wrestlers you could at least point to a memorable WWE stint. But Bullet Bob just seems...random.

They need a guy to "open" the show, I guess. You don't want to burn throught too many name candidates in a year.

I'm just hoping I get to do the "Oh you didn't know" thing with Road Dogg.

As much as I (obviously) love Bob Armstrong and all, I will admit that it's an odd pick, even if it's one I'm completely stoked about. But as long as it ends up with the Murdoch/Armstrong match from Christmas night in Knoxville showing up on Classics on Demand, I'm more than OK with it.

It's not that odd given that they usually have a local legend slot in each HOF class. The Sheik in Detroit, Briscos, Solie and Graham in Florida, Von Erichs in Texas. Arizona was never a major market, but Ted DiBiase grew up there. "Bullet" Bob is the obvious local Georgia legend to induct.

I think Armstrong is better remembered by WWE higher ups due to all his sons getting into the business, particularly "Road Dogg" Jesse James who became a big WWE star during the Attitude era. Don't know who would push Mr. Wrestling II to Vince for his Hall Of Fame.

I think Armstrong is better remembered by WWE higher ups due to all his sons getting into the business, particularly "Road Dogg" Jesse James who became a big WWE star during the Attitude era. Don't know who would push Mr. Wrestling II to Vince for his Hall Of Fame.

This. Anyone outside of the "main event" picks need someone to lobby for them, and I don't think anyone in a position to do so would go to bat for him.

Mr. Wrestling II would've been a better choice plus they have more footage of him than Bob.

I was wondering why no one had even seemed to mentioned II yet when talking about guys to go in this year in Atlanta. I doubt we'll see it now if they're already putting in Bob, Road Warriors and maybe Abby but it would have been nice to see II in the HOF.

II was a much bigger name than Bob plus he worked for WWF over a year and a half from 84-86. I got zero issues with Bob going in just surprised a little he got in over other bigger names from GCW if they were going that route. Bob never even held the Georgia Heavyweight Title and was never really the top face there. If we are going GCW names then Tommy Rich would definitely be above Bob as well.

His wife made robes for wrestlers but I don't know if there's a specific connection.

I'd be a little surprised if Ron Simmons isn't in this class. WCW star, Georgia native, respected WWE enforcer and later office staff. Seems like a perfect choice.

I'm surprised WWE never inducted Tony Garea, despite him obviously being a very good talent for many years as well as being a long term road agent.

Baron Mikel Scicluna is oft-criticized, but if you look back at MSG cards he wrestled as many matches there as anyone except Bruno Sammartino. If you were building a strict WWE Hall of Fame, he'd be a legitimate choice IMO.

In a kayfaybe sense, Sunny is one hell of a weak inductee. She managed some weak tag team champs (Body Donnas - Godwinn - Smoking Gunns being arguably the "strongest" of the three") in an era where tag team belts meant pretty much zilch, and.... that's pretty much it. Sure, she was the "most downloaded personnality" on AOL for a cup of tea or two, but she really didn't draw anything for WWF, as Sable was really the first female who became a big star during the Attitude Era (although she did suck and was one of the thing I hated the most at that time). Really, what Sunny did in a kayfabe or even in a real sense to warrant that ? Well, you can answer me "Koko B. Ware", I know this HoF means jack shit, but still, when you think about it, Sunny was part of WWF for what, 3 years, was the manager of a JTTS for the first 6 months, then managed a few tag teams when nobody cared, and then was doing the Hotline and some non descript stuff on TV like referring lucha midget matches. And that über short and useless stint with LOD 2000. That's not exactly Sensationnal Sherri level here. When I think of Sunny, the first thing that comes to my mind is "wasted potential".

Looking at this HOF beyond "Retired/semi-retired people who are in good graces with the McMahons at that point in time" is an exercise in frustration. They don't look at it beyond that, except in terms of marketability of the headlining inductee, so no reason for us to do so either.

Looking at this HOF beyond "Retired/semi-retired people who are in good graces with the McMahons at that point in time" is an exercise in frustration. They don't look at it beyond that, except in terms of marketability of the headlining inductee, so no reason for us to do so either.

When I heard "most downloaded personality on AOL" again, I thought of "world's longest running episodic television show."

Someone like Sunny deserves to be in because she's a lot better remembered than her push or her stint would warrant. I don't think a lot of other women should go in ahead of her apart from Liz, Sable, Chyna, Lita, Trish and maybe Madusa, Luna Vachon and Woman. And if you look through that list you can easily see why she was picked ahead of them.

In a kayfaybe sense, Sunny is one hell of a weak inductee. She managed some weak tag team champs (Body Donnas - Godwinn - Smoking Gunns being arguably the "strongest" of the three") in an era where tag team belts meant pretty much zilch, and.... that's pretty much it. Sure, she was the "most downloaded personnality" on AOL for a cup of tea or two, but she really didn't draw anything for WWF, as Sable was really the first female who became a big star during the Attitude Era (although she did suck and was one of the thing I hated the most at that time). Really, what Sunny did in a kayfabe or even in a real sense to warrant that ? Well, you can answer me "Koko B. Ware", I know this HoF means jack shit, but still, when you think about it, Sunny was part of WWF for what, 3 years, was the manager of a JTTS for the first 6 months, then managed a few tag teams when nobody cared, and then was doing the Hotline and some non descript stuff on TV like referring lucha midget matches. And that über short and useless stint with LOD 2000. That's not exactly Sensationnal Sherri level here. When I think of Sunny, the first thing that comes to my mind is "wasted potential".

Sunny feels like "The First Diva." in a way that Elizabeth, Sherri, and Sable do not. That's almost enough to get her in right there, kayfabe-wise.

Someone like Sunny deserves to be in because she's a lot better remembered than her push or her stint would warrant. I don't think a lot of other women should go in ahead of her apart from Liz, Sable, Chyna, Lita, Trish and maybe Madusa, Luna Vachon and Woman. And if you look through that list you can easily see why she was picked ahead of them.

Of course. I doubt Woman will ever go in although she would deserve it on her career only, but that would open a can of worms the WWE won't touch with a ten foot pole.

Chyna will never go in for obvious reasons although she was a hot act for a while. Sable, well, unless they work something out with brock at some point, I doubt it, but she could eventually.

Liz and Luna, I doubt they ever will. Madusa has no shot.

Trish really was more important than Sunny to the WWE I think.

But hey, like Loss said, it's all about marketing. I wonder who can induct Sunny though...