Pro Wrestling Only

The 2011 WWE HOF Thread

sek69

I decided to start a thread to discuss this year's nominees (other than HBK since I'm pretty sure everything's been said about that topic already). First up:

"HACKSAW" JIM DUGGAN

At first blush, this seems like a Nikolai Volkoff level induction, kind of a lifetime acheivement award for a loyal midcard guy. And really, it is, but there's more than just his WWF career to consider. Ted DiBiase is doing the honors for Duggan so you'd guess their time in Mid South would be discussed since there won't be any footage to show. Plus Jim's always had that special kind of attraction since I've always considered him the human equivalent to a big lovable mutt. You look at him and he's kind of funny looking and maybe a little dumb, but there's just something about him that makes you laugh a little every time you see him. He's always seemed to be a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy, which is a rarity in wrestling, and he could end up being the surprise tearjerker speech of the night between his stories of beating cancer and also when he talks about his father who I remember even got a mention in WWF Magazine back in the day when Duggan told a story about his dad being his hero.

Hopefully WWE fans get to hear there was more to Hacksaw than a goofy guy with a 2x4. Or at least give him credit for inventing the now-famous WWE Hardcore Brawling With Weapons style with that backstage brawl with Harley Race at the Slammys.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never cared for Duggan that much. Terrible matches in WWF and the flag wearing gimmick is probably on top of gimmick I despise. His early Mid-South stuff is much better, mostly because of the stiff style which suited him, but "Duggan was really good in Mid South" is a urban legend to me, kinda like "Hogan was really good in Japan". Seems like a nice enough guy though, and probably one of the most down to earth guy in this business, which is probably why he's still alive today. Also one of the legit though guy you wouldn't fuck around. And major props for winning against cancer, that's always great to see.

Who else is going in ? Was I daydreaming or did I heard Dave talk about Abdullah and Sunny ? Abby would a be a big shock to me, first time ever this guy would step foot in a WWE program.

For a few years in the late 80's, Duggan was by-far one of the most over guys on the roster. As a 10 and 11 year-old kid, I went to a few shows around 87-88. My friends and I (and my dad and my uncle, who were not fans, just accompanying us) were super-psyched to see Hacksaw. They actually did a pretty good job showing how over he was in the video package for the HOF. Yeah, he wasn't really a draw into himself and all that, but Duggan was one of the biggest stars during one of Vince's hottest periods.

Was I daydreaming or did I heard Dave talk about Abdullah and Sunny ? Abby would a be a big shock to me, first time ever this guy would step foot in a WWE program.

Hunter's a big fan of Abby apparently, so it wouldn't be too shocking if he goes into the Hall Of Fame. Sunny going in this year would be a hoot. Who says Vince doesn't have a sense of humour? Maybe Bret could induct her instead of Shawn? ;)

Duggan's WWF career started off nice with a fun Harley Race program and the Andre program featured one memorable angle and the two doing good business headlining the B shows. But man everything post 88 is pretty much unwatchable other than maybe his famous squash job to Yokozuna.

I approve of Tammy Sytch returning to WWE programming. In Tammy's shoot she mentioned that her and Vince still talk all the time so maybe she wouldn't be made fun of on TV

Hacksaw is totally deserving of the WWE HOF. He was a major star for Vince and was one of those guys who people remember to this day. Just say, "HOOOOOOOOOOO!" around a group of dudes and at least a few will go, "HACKSAW!".

For me, he was one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. I first read about him in the Apter mags and couldn't wait to see him someday. At a Pro Wrestling USA card at the Meadowlands I was at, Duggan was a last minute replacement in a six man match and I remember freaking out. Pretty soon after that, Mid South/ UWF started airing in our market and I was totally into Duggan. He went to WWF and I was excited, but I became a little disappointed because he turned into an 80's WWF cartoon character. But I was just being a typical wrestling nerd. Duggan rules, tough guy.

hate Jim Duggan

hate that this class won't be as worthy of Atlanta as it could be

Not having Rey induct El Mongol or the Torres bros seems like a really wasted opportunity.

I kind of was hoping that Enrique Tores getting into WWE would put some fire behind the efforts to get him into WON HOF.

There was a weird line in the WON mildly criticizing the Road Warriors induction, saying it is more of a Georgia Championship Wrestling thing than a WCW thing. But this is the year to induct guys like that, is it not?

(I don't want this to read as a criticism of Dave, just something that caught my eye.)

Bob Armstrong's WWE career:

-Wrestled matches at the Omni on GCW cards that featured Pedro Morales, Billy Graham and Bob Backlund defending their WWWF championships.

-Wrestled at the WWWF's first show at the Philadelphia Spectrum.

-Wrestled Jim Cornette on a WWF/SMW co-promoted show in 1994.

Just strikes me as a really odd selection.

They've considered it a "all of wrestling" HOF since 2004.

It's still odd on that front, since I've never seen anyone suggest that Bob Armstrong is one of the 100 greatest wrestlers ever. I rarely hear a WON HOF argument for him, and that group is 200+ now. Other marginal wrestlers you could at least point to a memorable WWE stint. But Bullet Bob just seems...random.

They've considered it a "all of wrestling" HOF since 2004.

It's still odd on that front, since I've never seen anyone suggest that Bob Armstrong is one of the 100 greatest wrestlers ever. I rarely hear a WON HOF argument for him, and that group is 200+ now. Other marginal wrestlers you could at least point to a memorable WWE stint. But Bullet Bob just seems...random.

It is an odd pick considering that they don't have any footage of him, and normally like to pick guys they see as marketable for the HOF. If it was a legit HOF with objective standards, it would probably be a bigger annoyance.