Pro Wrestling Only

Edge retires

sek69

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago. but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH"

Uh, I'm pretty sure AA did listen to doctors and retire. But it was only 14 years ago, so he's still right.

He didn't want to job to Sid *that night* if I recall correctly. In addition to that, he didn't want to job to Bret at Mania. :)

John

Right, I forgot about the Sid job as well.

He had a knee injury, but it was nothing so serious that he couldn't have worked on it. Didn't Austin also have a knee injury at Mania 13?

Right, I think WM 13 was the first PPV he worked with the big knee brace on.

"if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago. but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH"

Uh, I'm pretty sure AA did listen to doctors and retire. But it was only 14 years ago, so he's still right.

Yeah. And don't forget that Arn basically retired because of the exact same medical problems as Edge, after a career of almost identical length. Hogan couldn't have picked a worse example this side of Droz.

Hogan's baffling tweets:

Let's see...Knees so bad he can barely walk, broke from living a lifestyle that leaves him no choice but to keep wrestling, drug addict, dead, forced into retirement from injuries, former drug addict, gimp arm from injuries, dead.

Yeah.

yeah it's pretty eery how similar this is to Arn's injury and retirement

both retired at 38 (Arn looked like an old 38)

well Edge will be 38 in October

Wow, Arn was only 38? That means he was in his 20s or early 30s during the Horsemen heyday. I never would have guessed. He's always seemed older and crustier than almost any of them.

God, I love AA.

It's amazing how some people look way older than they are. The build, the baldness, the beard, Arn didn't look 38 at all, he looked *old*, but at the same time, he looked like he could kick the entire rooster's ass.

On the same topic, Trish Stratus looks older than she is too, I think she aged a lot. She's only 35, but looks not a day under 40. A very beautiful 40 years old, but still.

He didn't want to job to Sid *that night* if I recall correctly. In addition to that, he didn't want to job to Bret at Mania. :)

John

Was he supposed to job to Sid in Feb '97?. That would have blown the presumed Bret-HBK rematch at WM13 out of the water. The way I recall it was HBK going over and coming into Mania as champ facing Bret who would have won the #1 contender spot at Final Four.

John

Was he supposed to job to Sid in Feb '97?. That would have blown the presumed Bret-HBK rematch at WM13 out of the water. The way I recall it was HBK going over and coming into Mania as champ facing Bret who would have won the #1 contender spot at Final Four.

Vince decided to change to Sid defending the belt against Taker with Shawn vs Bret as a non-title match. Shawn was told he was going to lose the title to Sid on that special Thursday Night Raw (02/13/97) in addition to the payback job to Bret at Mania, and suddenly his smile went.

It was in the Torch, and I'm sure that Dave has mentioned it quite a few times over the years. It's been out there for sol long that just tossing it out refreshed Jerome's memory. :)

John

On the Fatal Fourway, it's been years since I've read the specific plan of it and it sticks in my head far less as it's not as interesting as Shawn's crybaby spot. But it's pretty clear that with the plan changing from Shawn --> Sid that the winner of the Four Way would be Taker to set up Taker vs Sid. Now whether they would have had Shawn cause Bret to lose to set up their match, or simply book something on the next Raw or two... don't recall that either. Don't even know if anyone every rolled out what the detailed plans were since:

* Vince changed his mind suddenly to going back to Big Guys In The Main

* those plans were instantly trashed when Shawn lost his smile

John

I believe that the first plan was definitely Bret vs Shawn for the title at WM13, with Shawn refusing to do the job. Then they wanted to transition the title to Sid, but yet again, Shawn refused to job and "lost his smile". So they put the title on Bret to pass it on to Sid the following night on Raw, and they went into Sid vs Taker for the title and they got back to Bret vs Austin since Shawn didn't want to do business anyway and was "injured". I think it is what happened, but I could be wrong.

Someone at Cageside hypothesised that Hogan's tweet was meant to tell Edge he could join TNA and still be cleared to wrestle, which is an interesting idea. Given that they do physicals so rarely he could buy himself another year like Desmond Wolfe did I suppose. <_>

It's amazing how some people look way older than they are. The build, the baldness, the beard, Arn didn't look 38 at all, he looked *old*, but at the same time, he looked like he could kick the entire rooster's ass.

On the same topic, Trish Stratus looks older than she is too, I think she aged a lot. She's only 35, but looks not a day under 40. A very beautiful 40 years old, but still.

Just to put things in perspective about Arn:

Ole Anderson is 16 years older than him

Flair is 9 years older

DDP is 2 years older

When Pillman and Austin were on Flair for the Gold making fun of Arn for being old, Arn was only 35 (Pillman was only 4 years younger)

as for the last couple of years, Edge had grown extremely stale. He didn't change up his character much and the booking didn't help either. It does put a tarnish on a pretty awesome 5/6 year run on top but overall I enjoyed his work.

I think the injury explains a lot of his work being loose and dainty the last couple of years

A couple years ago I ate at a Cracker Barrel before attending a house show and I ended up walking right past Edge into a mens room. After I came out Edge was outside talking to some kids and their parents, taking pictures. Extremely pleasant.

My favourite Edge story was also at an autograph signing, I want to say in 2006. Someone had brought, of all things, Lita's book and was hoping Edge would sign it. One of the security/organizing people said, "No, he'll only sign Edge-related merch." The guy brought the book to Edge anyway. Edge signed it. Organizer guy: "I thought you don't sign stuff that isn't yours?" Edge: "Hey pal, is it your autograph session or mine?"