Pro Wrestling Only

Edge retires

sek69

Word is coming out that the segment on RAW tonight was 100% legit. Edge has been one of the guys Dave has been blind item-ing about when he was talking about a top WWE guy thinking about retiring soon, and recent tests showed more damage to his rebuilt neck. Apparently they just gave him a mic and told him he could say goodbye however he wanted.

Looks like they're going to do an angle on Smackdown to set up how they're going to fill the title, kind of shocking to have this happen all of a sudden.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, just posted in the big comments thread, well a C & P:

If he's been losing feeling in his arms then for goodness' sake do indeed stop.

I never had any big beef with the guy back when I did watch. I thought some of the Edge and Christian stuff back in the day was really funny, and I enjoyed more than a handful of his matches.

All the best to Edge if that's it for him. I'm sure the company will find something for him to do if he wants the gig.

From what WWE.com says, it looks like he was basically a bad bump away from being another Misawa:

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.

My first guess is that Del Rio and Christian will headline Extreme Rules and the winner takes the title, but that's old school thinking kicking in.

I was floored by the announcement tonight. I knew it was really real when he said Ross hired him, and it was concrete during the next segment when everyone backstage applauded and hugged him. I have to say I've never been a huge fan of his, but I can appreciate the passion he has for the business. And as he said himself, I can't imagine a better way for him to have gone out.

I looked this up for no real reason a few days ago. This might still be his finest promo, ever.

This will no doubt come across as crass, but it will be interesting to see how this helps out his WON HoF candidacy.

I think the guy has been terrible for the last few years, but I thought that was a really great retirement speech and I'm happy for him that he is getting out before something truly horrible could happen.

Guest Slickster

Ironically, Edge will be vacating the World Heavyweight Championship at the SmackDown taping in Albany - in the same arena where he won his first WWE Championship five years ago.

Edge becomes the first man in WWE history to retire as World champion.

Verne Gagne retired as AWA World Champion in 1981.

Edge is 39. He debuted in WWF in the Summer of 1998. 13 years, and he's such a bad shape he has to retire. This is how quickly the bodies are used up now. I guess the dangerous bumping style he used to do during the attitude era, with countless ladder matches and such, contributed a lot to fuck up his neck. I don't care for the guy in the ring, but outside of hitting on his friend girl, Edge is a guy who always seemed like pretty down to earth and one who really loved wrestling. Good he's quitting before he gets really bad, although losing feeling sounds like already a bit too late. I remember he was groomed to be a big star as early as the Dory Funk camp, and he surely did great with himself for a guy who never did aything worthwhile before (he was squashed once on WCW saturday night I think).

very dignified way to end a career

I'm sure the company will try and bring him back in a non-wrestling capacity in the future

as for on-air angles I just can't see Vince putting Christian in main events so it's going to be interesting to see who is paired with ADR in the near future

The ironic thing for me is the only time I found him entertaining is years ago when he was doing the stupid shit that lead to his current state, so I feel bad about that. His straight forward/non-hardcore matches and promos never did much for me. I'm just happy the guy is getting out before something really bad happens.

He's done well to get another seven years out of his surgically repaired neck, especially as he didn't significantly alter his style (well outside of the toning down of everyone's style WWE implemented once they got sick and tired of all the neck fusion surgery's many of their top stars were forced to get) and was continued to be booked regularly in ladder matches.

Hogan's baffling tweets:

"if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago. but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH"

"wrestlers work hurt! What about Foley! I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH"

Edge is 39. He debuted in WWF in the Summer of 1998. 13 years, and he's such a bad shape he has to retire. This is how quickly the bodies are used up now.

Wasn't most of the damage done by around 2001?

I guess, Edge's reputation was made by working incredibly dangerous and stupid matches in which the whole purpose was falling from high places onto tables. Then he worked his whole career on a banged up body with neck issues. Way to go.

Hogan's baffling tweets:

"if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago. but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH"

"wrestlers work hurt! What about Foley! I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH"

It's so stupid it could be from Kurt Angle.

It's a good thing Edge is calling it quits. For all of his faults, he at least sounds like somebody who has his head on straight when it comes to his health and knowing how much in-ring punishment his body can take.

All you have to do is look at other pro wrestlers and how many of them keep going even when it's clear their bodies are broken down and they are just making it worse for themselves.

So, good to see Edge put his health first and best of luck to him in whatever he does next. I'm sure a road agent job or a similar job with WWE is there if he wants it.

Edge becomes the first man in WWE history to retire as World champion.

Verne Gagne retired as AWA World Champion in 1981.

Shawn Michaels "retired" when he lost his smile.

Yeah, I know... it didn't stick. :)

John

I'm pretty sure they said he could be back eventually and that he had a "potentially" career ending knee injury.