Matches You Must See Before You Die

Al

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit more limited in my exposure to Japanese stuff than most

Jerry: I would get Will's 1993 Yearbook set. The 1996 was released earlier, but 1993 might be a better introduction to some of the folks who are sort of in their prime around 1996 (i.e. AJPW's Four Corners and NJPW's Hash). It also has a pre-Monday Night Wars era US coverage, which probably is a good contrast to 1996 where the US is starting to change.

Anyway, it's an easy way to get a variety of Japan, in a way that isn't hammering you over the head with just one wrestler or promotion.

John

Plus 1993 is widely recognized as the best year in puroresu. Not saying I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment, but All Japan and AJW were fantastic in '93.

Heck, all the cool kids already did it, might as well toss mine in.

Must see cage match: I think I'd go with Hell In A Cell here. The first one, natch. Even with the goofy ending, "the best-ever Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker match" is a pretty strong contender.

Must see high flyers match: I dunno, high flying has never been my favorite style. Sasuke vs Pegasus, for lack of a real answer.

Must see match with blood: I've been trying and failing to think of a better one than Hokuto/Kandori. Not really firm on that one, since the blood was just one small part of the match and not the primary focus, but I can't think of a better match with a crimson mask.

Must see mat work: Volk Han vs Fujiwara in that little exhibition match they had was an amazing amount of fun crammed into a short period of time. For some reason, that was always my favorite Volk Han bout.

Must see gimmick match: Kudo/Toyoda go boom. Even people who hate regular hardcore, let alone deathmatches, are still entranced by this one. (Although Dibiase/Duggan was awfully hard to pass up.)

Must see world title bout: Flair/Steamboat, but I've always been partial to their Chi-Town Rumble match the most. I like the finish, which was like a definitive statement of "no more goddamn Dusty finishes"

Must see 1970s match: Funks vs Sheik/Abby, probably liked the 79 edition best.

Must see 1980s match: uh... can I just pick another Flair/Steamboat?

Must see 1990s match: Hansen vs Kobashi is a pretty easy go-to (aside from the next match, which makes me glad for multiple categories)

Must see tag match: 6/9/95, still the best tag psychology I've ever seen.

Of course, DK vs Bret would be the ladder match to put on a set like this but I can't find footage of it.

If there's no footage of it, why would you say it be "the ladder match"? Were you there?

That's like me saying "Tommy Rich/ Buzz Sawyer: Last Battle Of Atlanta" cage match should be on there as best cage match. Except that there are pictures of that match at least and it's considered legendary thanks to the Apter Mags. But since there's no footage, I can't honestly say it was great.

Of course, DK vs Bret would be the ladder match to put on a set like this but I can't find footage of it.

If there's no footage of it, why would you say it be "the ladder match"? Were you there?

That's like me saying "Tommy Rich/ Buzz Sawyer: Last Battle Of Atlanta" cage match should be on there as best cage match. Except that there are pictures of that match at least and it's considered legendary thanks to the Apter Mags. But since there's no footage, I can't honestly say it was great.

RE thinks like a child, though. I'm not being a dick here, it is the truth Jason. I think like a Marine, RE thinks like a child, and other people probably think like things they've experienced, worked at, or have yet to mature...such is the case for RE. He says stuff that he should realize by now that it will only lead to any number of posters on this forum...or for that matter, any forum he ventures into to verbally assault him with any opportunity. Look at his post count here alone, over 1,100. The guy takes a beat down almost on a monthly basis on this board, inside jokes have been created to mock him, and conditions are stipulated in threads prohibiting a potential and very likely response by him. Yet he keeps coming back. If you or anyone for that matter makes a thread asking for help, advice, or a touching personal story of some tragic magnitude, RE would be one of the first motherfuckers in that thread offering answers, solutions, or condolences. Having said that, RE is annoying like an unsupervised child let loose amongst the more mature audience. It gets bothersome to navigate threads once a RE vs. crowd battle begins. Or the "No matter what you tell me, it will not change my mind whatsoever," mentality that causes most of us to have an urge to probably cause physical damage to his body. Similar to how children sometimes WILL NOT listen no matter what is said, threatened, or taken away.

Anyway, the point is, RE said something somewhat logical in his post. I would love to see a Bret Hart vs. Dynamite Kid ladder match. I know it would be awesome. I mean, it is Bret Hart and the Dynamite Kid - not everything good in wrestling has to be from a rigid list that ten people have created. It would be like saying Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James mano-a-mano would not be an excellent basketball chess match. Or that all of those untaped Flair vs. Steamboat matches in '89 wouldn't be fucking awesome. However. Having not seen the ladder match between Dyno and Bret, I would not put it above my current ladder choice. It might not be as good.

At any rate, my response here is directed towards you in presentation, but it is more of a defense for RE, which will hopefully extinguish some responses from the Anti-RE brigade that would likely be coming. One thread was already engulfed with pointless bickering back and forth. This thread does not need to be tainted too.

DK vs Bret was one of the first ladder matches of all time and it is the most famous of the first generation of ladder matches before HBK/Razor and HBK/Bret. DK and Bret had excellent chemistry back in the day and we're doing stuff that the North American audience hadn't seen. The crowd heat at the time was electric for these guys which would make the atmosphere even better. After watching all of the DK vs Bret I could find, hearing various people talk about their matches and also hearing a couple people from ALberta mention how great the ladder match was I have no doubt about its quality. Bret and DK several times themselves have talked about the match and how much they loved it both saying it was among their best.

And the finish -- It was the exact same as HBK - Razor at Mania except that DK went out to the floor instead of Michaels getting tied up in the ropes. I think the match could have been filmed but who knows if it exists anymore. I have no doubt in my mind with the crowd heat, the ahead of its time factor, a lot of people thinking it would be the first ladder match, the Stampede crowd heat which was electric at the time, Bret and DK's rugged work ethic and their creative wrestling minds that this would be on the list of "Matches to see before you Die" in the gimmick/ladder category. It's something to think and ponder about. That's why I mentioned it. A fav pastime among us wrestling geeks is dreaming about those excellent unearthed matches we may never see.

FWIW, Hall has said they had better matches on the circuit leading up to Mania. Not sure how many they had but two of them were on dailymotion if you haven't seen them. One from Los Angeles and the other San Jose.

I was at the one in Los Angeles... didn't know it was available. I recall enjoying it.

I do recall that the San Jose one was circulating. I think it was part of khj's run through a ton of handhelds years ago. If I recall correctly, his thought was that while it was good, they clearly improved the match by the time they got to Mania.

I wonder if I have that set of handheld reviews laying on the HD somewhere... it was pretty awesome.

John

Actually that was Jerad (JHM). We just happen to have similar initials... :).

Does he post now? I swear I thought you were the same guy with reversed initials. Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly, but I thought you were the same person because the opinions seemed pretty in sync.

hearing various people talk about their matches and also hearing a couple people from ALberta mention how great the ladder match was I have no doubt about its quality.

The match was in Regina, Saskatchewan.

And even if we can be sure it was a great match, the topic at hand as "matches you must see before you die." There is no way for any of us to see that match before we die since scientists are still a ways away from developing reliable methods of time travel.

nd even if we can be sure it was a great match, the topic at hand as "matches you must see before you die." There is no way for any of us to see that match before we die since scientists are still a ways away from developing reliable methods of time travel.

Yeah, maybe for you though. I'm only 26.

At any rate, it does fall into the realm of "matches I want to see before I die"...irregardless if there is footage of it or not. Same goes for those untaped sixty-minute draws Flair did in the 80s. I know they would be a good match. Hence why I want to see them before I die, man.