Pro Wrestling Only

Important wrestling history that's largely been ignored/forgotten/not written about nearly as much as it should be

Bix

Whatever happened with that anyway? He was one of the fake Scorpions, but it seemed like the buildup was going to lead to him being the guy. The promos that were supposed to make you think it was going to be the Warrior would have fit for Angel as well (the WE TRAINED IN CALIFORNIAAAAAA......IN EIGHTY-SIIXXXXXX always sticks in my head as all time great Wrestlecrap material).

Danny Spivey being in the running to play the Kane character in 1997. It came down to him and Glenn Jacobs (Spivey was 45 years old at the time)

That's the first I've ever heard of that. It seems especially odd considering that Spivey retired/was asked to step down from the same company less than two years earlier.

Something else that doesn't get talked about nearly enough is how Verne invaded LA in like 1969 trying to take out Mike LeBell. Yohe & Jeff Walton have talked about it in the past and how Verne came in with guns blazing only to get his ass kicked by LeBell who brought in the NWA big guns. It's definitely funny considering what happened to Verne 15 years later.

I think Steve has written something about that. Don't recall if it was on tOA years ago, or more likely on the Lou Board over on Classics... or somewhere else on Classics. I know I've had conversations with him about it, and he certainly enjoyed it that Verne got his ass kicked. :) There were pretty loaded cards if I recall correctly.

John

I do recall Wade saying somewhere, maybe his board, that he's comfortable with his ethics in how he's covered every story, and implied that Dave had come up short in that regard at least once in the past.

Ouch~! I missed that one. :)

John

I do recall Wade saying somewhere, maybe his board, that he's comfortable with his ethics in how he's covered every story, and implied that Dave had come up short in that regard at least once in the past.

John

I think Sean is talking about this post: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...p;#entry5427978

John

I think Sean is talking about this post: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...p;#entry5427978

Yeah, thanks, this is the line my foggy memory was trying to recall from Wade.

"As I have written before on the other board years ago, there were things he has done that greatly disappointed me as a journalist (things I've had a singularly unique knowledge and perspective on) and I'd go so far as to say as a friend."

• 3 weeks later...

It's been touched on at times, but Sting was not a hand-picked star after he ended up with Crockett post-Watts buyout. He caught fire, and the Clash showing against Flair made him a star, but Luger was the guy they were grooming at that point to carry the company.

It's been touched on at times, but Sting was not a hand-picked star after he ended up with Crockett post-Watts buyout. He caught fire, and the Clash showing against Flair made him a star, but Luger was the guy they were grooming at that point to carry the company.

But Flair kept shooting it down. Sting was used as Flair's excuse not to job for Luger.

"Really, I'm ready to step aside. But Luger's not the guy. We need to wait until Sting's ready." - Naitch buying himself more time on top

1)Pfefer taking over the booking of MSG in 59 seems like it should be a giant story.

Especially given how well he drew.

How exactly did that happen?

Was he booking, managing talent, or did he take over promoting?

Why?

Did the changes in MSG effect the rest of territory and how?

How did Mcmahon get it back? etc.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimate...2993;p=1#000000

As people die, we are getting little pieces of the story in obits. But it feels like their are really detailed accounts of promotional wars and coups in Georgia, but I've never seen anything written to explain this kind major change in MSG?

2) Anyone who reads lots of SE ring results has run into the "colored girls circuit": Ethel Johnson/Lulu Mae Provo/Babs Wingo, etc.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimate...2348;p=1#000000

My sense is that several of these women are still alive. Given the kind of "Wow this is a neat piece of social history" coverage that "Lipstick and Dynamite" and Jeff Lean's Mildred Burke biography got, you would think that the "colored girls " circuit would be something that would get more attention.

It's getting written about a lot by Dave, but it seems like the whole deal with All Japan about to explode due to Hate apparently getting beaten in the locker room leading to a stroke should be getting more attention. This could be a huge story if the police get involved like they've been threatening to do, since due to the culture in Japan the usual "it's only wrestling" bullshit probably won't fly. Muto offering himself up as a sacrifice by resigning as President while still being on the board (and part time wrestler) is a pretty big "wait, what?" as well.

Muto offering himself up as a sacrifice by resigning as President while still being on the board (and part time wrestler) is a pretty big "wait, what?" as well.

That's more of a Japanese corporate culture deal. Whenever one of their companies makes a huge fuckup, the president or CEO often resigns in shame. Even if they had nothing to do with the problem, the idea is that the leader should always be held accountable for any shit that goes down on their watch. See the president of the company that owned the nuclear power plants for a recent example.

Muto offering himself up as a sacrifice by resigning as President while still being on the board (and part time wrestler) is a pretty big "wait, what?" as well.

That's more of a Japanese corporate culture deal. Whenever one of their companies makes a huge fuckup, the president or CEO often resigns in shame. Even if they had nothing to do with the problem, the idea is that the leader should always be held accountable for any shit that goes down on their watch. See the president of the company that owned the nuclear power plants for a recent example.

Yep, happens all the time.

This could be big, after the same kinda scandals in sumo last year. This shit doens't fly anymore now that it's getting out there, the repercussions could be severe for the company. I have no idea in what shape they are at this point.